RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

If the WNBA's 2020 Season is Truncated/Cancelled, then...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/03/20 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One major issue with TV is lighting -- most high school facilities just aren't bright enough. We had TV shoots at a school I worked out, and even though our gym was one of the brighter ones (we had clerestory windows), they always had to bring in extra lights. And sometimes the issue was placing those lights.

So that would be my gfuess ...

PostPosted: 07/03/20 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, "not conducive to television" is the wildly undetailed phrase I've been offered. Still seems like a significant extra expense, even before you consider the added safety issues, that make me wonder how IMG ended up as their #1 choice.

PostPosted: 07/03/20 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Playing off-site was always an option. It was stated in the announced plan. As I recall, it has to do with having more favorable conditions for broadcasting the games. I'm not sure what that means exactly -- probably better technical access, but possibly also facilities that look and sound better on camera when the space is empty. There's also the issue of having outside broadcast crews invading the bubble. Maybe they felt it was safer to bring the players out rather than to bring the TV people in?

I believe Holly Rowe and Ryan Ruocco will be doing the ESPN games. But where are they staying and will they be in the actual space to call the games or will they be doing it virtually from an ESPN studio?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 07/03/20 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Playing off-site was always an option. It was stated in the announced plan. As I recall, it has to do with having more favorable conditions for broadcasting the games. I'm not sure what that means exactly -- probably better technical access, but possibly also facilities that look and sound better on camera when the space is empty. There's also the issue of having outside broadcast crews invading the bubble. Maybe they felt it was safer to bring the players out rather than to bring the TV people in?

I believe Holly Rowe and Ryan Ruocco will be doing the ESPN games. But where are they staying and will they be in the actual space to call the games or will they be doing it virtually from an ESPN studio?

When I used the word "broadcast," I meant all distribution methods whether TV or streaming, ESPN or team-specific crews. Regardless of platform, they still have to shoot the games. You have the same technical requirements in terms of lighting, sound, electrical power needs, etc. And any issues with crews, both technical and talent, will also be the same. I assume the WNBA wants all games "broadcasted" one way or another.

PostPosted: 07/03/20 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another question is what about the broadcast team(s) for non ESPN games. In the past each home team provided the broadcast teams we all loved to complain about. What happens in NoCoronaville? 12 additional broadcast teams?

toad455

PostPosted: 07/03/20 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Another question is what about the broadcast team(s) for non ESPN games. In the past each home team provided the broadcast teams we all loved to complain about. What happens in NoCoronaville? 12 additional broadcast teams?

I wonder if the league will just do a generic virtual feed/broadcast and each of the twelve networks' will call the games from their home studios.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/03/20 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The four courts at IMG are side-by-side in a single building. They draw curtains between them if they need to separate.

PostPosted: 07/03/20 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The four courts at IMG are side-by-side in a single building. They draw curtains between them if they need to separate.

It sounds like they'll live & practive at IMG. Doesn't seem feasable to be able to broadcast games from there. Feld Entertainment Center seems adequatley set-up to be able to broadcast games.

willtalk

PostPosted: 07/03/20 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps they will do stop-start simulated clay animated versions of the games Very Happy

PostPosted: 07/04/20 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN is broadcasting a men’s basketball tournament from Columbus Ohio. No fans as the WNBA will have. It didn’t sound noticeably quiet like I expected since the announcers were talking virtually non stop. The microphones also picked up the bench players reacting to what was going on.

miller40

PostPosted: 07/05/20 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“I asked a lot of questions that not too many people were happy about. I discovered that some medical staff of teams not only believe it’s not safe, but also the women don’t have enough resources as they believe we should unlike the NBA going into this bubble,” said Pettis. “If the WNBA cannot upgrade the situation even more with safety I feel the WNBA should wait and play the following season. Why put ourselves and players in Florida as cases increase?”
Pettis believes serving others by educating them about growing their own food and aiding the hungry is the pivot needed right now.
“I feel the WNBA should use it’s platform this year in the communities of the teams and the communities where players live, said Pettis. “I encourage others to find a project they are passionate about and jump in 100%. We can play next year.”

https://www.facebook.com/projectrootsaz/posts/190202009150292

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/05/20 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The medical experts state that it usually takes 18 months to find a vaccine for a virus. When the vaccine is found it will take a while to get the vaccine to everyone on the planet.

PostPosted: 07/05/20 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
The medical experts state that it usually takes 18 months to find a vaccine for a virus. When the vaccine is found it will take a while to get the vaccine to everyone on the planet.

Yeah, the timetable people are giving out for a vaccine sounds really optimistic to me. Manufacturing drugs based on something living: virus, bacteria, animal tissue, etc. is a lot harder than conventional pharmaceuticals which is essentially mixing chemicals. With a vaccine, which is more similar to biotech, process is key. I invest in healthcare stocks, and I've seen the FDA reject a lot of drugs temporarily because they don't like the manufacturing process. Also, there are questions about whether the initial vaccine will work for everyone or just a portion of the population. Remember, the effects of COVID-19 are different in each person. Generally speaking, the fear is that older people will have weak immune systems while many younger people suffer from complications related to overactive immune systems. So, developing a vaccine for everyone isn't that easy. There is also the question of longevity. Some of the standard vaccines we get as kids last for years, even decades. The common flu vaccine needs to be renewed annually, largely due to mutations. No one knows if a vaccine for this new virus will last for any significant amount of time. For instance, if it lasts only six months, then you will need to manufacture twice the dosage for everyone to cover a full year.

Distribution is no slam dunk either. There will be a debate over who gets the vaccine first. Countries are already making it clear that their citizens will get priority before it goes to the outside world. Within their own population, should the most vulnerable receive it first -- meaning older folks? How will young people feel about that? And of course, anyone rich and powerful will inevitably try to jump the line. So, there is a lot of potential conflict related to distribution.

In short, I wouldn't be betting heavily on any huge breakthroughs. Our best bet is to find more existing drugs like remdesivir and dexamethasone that can be repurposed as COVID-19 treatments. They are already proven safe and the manufacturing process is established. Barring that, next year may not be that different from this year unless we change our behavior and adapt.

PostPosted: 07/05/20 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Quote:
“I asked a lot of questions that not too many people were happy about. I discovered that some medical staff of teams not only believe it’s not safe, but also the women don’t have enough resources as they believe we should unlike the NBA going into this bubble,” said Pettis. “If the WNBA cannot upgrade the situation even more with safety I feel the WNBA should wait and play the following season. Why put ourselves and players in Florida as cases increase?”
Pettis believes serving others by educating them about growing their own food and aiding the hungry is the pivot needed right now.
“I feel the WNBA should use it’s platform this year in the communities of the teams and the communities where players live, said Pettis. “I encourage others to find a project they are passionate about and jump in 100%. We can play next year.”

Something tells me we will be having the same conversations next season and maybe even the season after that. The notion that "we can just play next year" is ridiculous, because how long do they think the WNBA will survive without actually playing?

miller40

PostPosted: 07/05/20 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:
miller40 wrote:
Quote:

Something tells me we will be having the same conversations next season and maybe even the season after that. The notion that "we can just play next year" is ridiculous, because how long do they think the WNBA will survive without actually playing?

I guess at some point we have to have a heavy conversation: what’s more important, athletes and their lives versus athletes and entertaining your life.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/05/20 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Athletes may be more at risk than the general public.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-sport-players/athletes-could-be-particularly-vulnerable-to-serious-covid-19-symptoms-says-union-idUSKBN22J34N

https://www.brujulabike.com/elite-athletes-risk-covid-19/

https://covid-19.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202003/26/WS5e7bdb69a31012821728204a.html

And1

PostPosted: 07/06/20 7:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
And1 wrote:
miller40 wrote:
Quote:

I guess at some point we have to have a heavy conversation: what’s more important, athletes and their lives versus athletes and entertaining your life.

Well, sure. I guess the same can be said for entire entertainment industry. On the other hand, some would say it is essential.

tfan

PostPosted: 07/06/20 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

Yeah, I heard a someone refer to a vaccine by the end of the year as a miracle. But they still seemed to think the 12 to 18 months that was originally floated was doable. However I recall someone saying that the fastest a vaccine had ever been developed was 5 years. I don't see an article talking about the fastest, but this one says "A vaccine usually takes more than 10 years to develop and costs up to $500 million".

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/06/vaccine-development-barriers-coronavirus/

Someone who lead research on an AIDS vaccine, William Haseltine, feels that there is a 50% chance of a vaccine, but a 90% chance of effective drugs to treat COVID-19.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/06/20 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Yeah, I heard a someone refer to a vaccine by the end of the year as a miracle. But they still seemed to think the 12 to 18 months that was originally floated was doable. However I recall someone saying that the fastest a vaccine had ever been developed was 5 years. I don't see an article talking about the fastest, but this one says "A vaccine usually takes more than 10 years to develop and costs up to $500 million".

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/06/vaccine-development-barriers-coronavirus/

Someone who lead research on an AIDS vaccine, William Haseltine, feels that there is a 50% chance of a vaccine, but a 90% chance of effective drugs to treat COVID-19.

Your post clarify the point that I was trying to make and that is all the players who opt out this year because they are afraid of getting COVID -19 will be on a long hiatus because it will take a while before a vaccine is found. They might have to retire from basketball because COVID -19 might be here to stay.

PostPosted: 07/06/20 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Your post clarify the point that I was trying to make and that is all the players who opt out this year because they are afraid of getting COVID -19 will be on a long hiatus because it will take a while before a vaccine is found. They might have to retire from basketball because COVID -19 might be here to stay.

There are, however, places you can play basketball for money that have handled the virus vastly more successfully so far than the United States.

PostPosted: 07/06/20 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/Winsidr/status/1280140720339406851?s=19

7 out of 137 players have tested positive. Two of them are Fever players and one is Colson who announced she had it last week.

7 players didn't get tested. I'd assume they are Plum, Lavender, Warley-Talbert, Stella Johnson and likely three players that applied for the medical hardship opt-out.

Last edited by toad455 on 07/06/20 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 07/06/20 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

There are, however, places you can play basketball for money that have handled the virus vastly more successfully so far than the United States.

Pretty much anywhere outside of the United States has handled this better.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/06/20 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Pretty much anywhere outside of the United States has handled this better.

Thank you, toad. Right on the mark. Tragically.

PostPosted: 07/06/20 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seven players tested positive in the initial round of tests. Two for the Fever, meaning they will not be headed to Florida yet.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/29417570/seven-137-wnba-players-test-positive-week

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/basketball/wnba/fever/2020/07/06/wnba-two-indiana-fever-players-test-positive-covid-19-img-academy/5383349002/

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 07/06/20 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

how did new zealand essentially oust covid-19 in their country? has it come back for them yet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 23 of 24

Jump to: