RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Mississippi State 2020-2021
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 4398
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/20 10:06 pm    ::: Mississippi State 2020-2021 Reply Reply with quote

Rigor Mortis hasn't yet sit in on 19-20 and we already are seeing projections for next season. Here's a perspective on the Bulldogs..


https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/LongFormArticle/Mississippi-State-womens-basketball-outlook-2020-21-145040111/



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 1140
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/20 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Passing along a rumor about who Mississippi State might hire to become its next WBB head coach:

https://twitter.com/WBBTeedUp/status/1247595158914424833

Quote:
$2M offer to a current ACC HC who has coached in a Final Four


( https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/1247611315994017792 )



_________________
"It's not a game of 'how-to', it's a game of 'when-to'." –Sue Bird, on basketball but probably also life
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 12851
Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/20 2:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Passing along a rumor about who Mississippi State might hire to become its next WBB head coach:

https://twitter.com/WBBTeedUp/status/1247595158914424833

Quote:
$2M offer to a current ACC HC who has coached in a Final Four


( https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/1247611315994017792 )


Well, Walz and McGraw aren't going anywhere. Hillsman would be a dumb hire imo.

Tweet didn't say "head"coach and I'm not sure which asst.s qualify.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 15290
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/20 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Passing along a rumor about who Mississippi State might hire to become its next WBB head coach:

https://twitter.com/WBBTeedUp/status/1247595158914424833

Quote:
$2M offer to a current ACC HC who has coached in a Final Four


( https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/1247611315994017792 )


Well, Walz and McGraw aren't going anywhere. Hillsman would be a dumb hire imo.

Tweet didn't say "head"coach and I'm not sure which asst.s qualify.


McCallie?


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9566
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/20 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Passing along a rumor about who Mississippi State might hire to become its next WBB head coach:

https://twitter.com/WBBTeedUp/status/1247595158914424833

Quote:
$2M offer to a current ACC HC who has coached in a Final Four


( https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/1247611315994017792 )


Well, Walz and McGraw aren't going anywhere. Hillsman would be a dumb hire imo.

Tweet didn't say "head"coach and I'm not sure which asst.s qualify.


McCallie?



Nell Yes ? Shocked



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 1140
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/20 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My guess is Hillsman. Maybe he's tired of being stuck at a place that's cold in the winter and will never draw well.

If it were McCallie Shocked the chaos that would ensue on here let alone irl...



_________________
"It's not a game of 'how-to', it's a game of 'when-to'." –Sue Bird, on basketball but probably also life
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 15290
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/20 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Passing along a rumor about who Mississippi State might hire to become its next WBB head coach:

https://twitter.com/WBBTeedUp/status/1247595158914424833

Quote:
$2M offer to a current ACC HC who has coached in a Final Four


( https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/1247611315994017792 )


Well, Walz and McGraw aren't going anywhere. Hillsman would be a dumb hire imo.

Tweet didn't say "head"coach and I'm not sure which asst.s qualify.


McCallie?



Nell Yes ? Shocked


Fortner never went to the Final Four as a head coach.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5894
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/20 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Passing along a rumor about who Mississippi State might hire to become its next WBB head coach:

https://twitter.com/WBBTeedUp/status/1247595158914424833

Quote:
$2M offer to a current ACC HC who has coached in a Final Four


( https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/1247611315994017792 )


Well, Walz and McGraw aren't going anywhere. Hillsman would be a dumb hire imo.

Tweet didn't say "head"coach and I'm not sure which asst.s qualify.


McCallie?



Nell Yes ? Shocked


Fortner never went to the Final Four as a head coach.


And so?



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61030
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/20 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Current ACC head coaches who have coached in the F4:

Joanna Bernabei-McNamee
Joanne P. McCallie
Nell Fortner
Jeff Walz
Muffet McGraw
Lance White
Quentin Hillsman



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect


Last edited by pilight on 04/08/20 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 1679
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/20 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Current ACC head coaches who have coached in the F4:

Joanna Bernabei-McNamee
Joanne P. McCallie
Jeff Walz
Muffet McGraw
Lance White
Quentin Hillsman


So-While I don't love Q's in game coaching, decisions, and substitution patterns, he has done great things at Syracuse. This program draws terrible, but it'd be even worse if they didn't win. I live here and people don't even know/care it exists. It's strange, 25,000 Syracuse fans will come out in a snowstorm where we get two feet overnight to watch the team play Cornell, but you can't get more than $6K there to watch them play Oregon. You can't blame him for leaving for that amount of money, but I don't know if he's worth that much.

And there is very few DIE HARD women's fans at the games at all. It's usually just a lot of kids and promotion shit. It really sucks.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61030
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/20 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

$2M per year is a raise for all those coaches



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 1861



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/20 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Passing along a rumor about who Mississippi State might hire to become its next WBB head coach:

https://twitter.com/WBBTeedUp/status/1247595158914424833

Quote:
$2M offer to a current ACC HC who has coached in a Final Four


( https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/1247611315994017792 )


I believe that refers to Walz. There's even a post on a MSt. forum saying the university plane was in Louisville. Prior rumors said MSt offered Vic a $10M contract (number of years not specified) to match Texas's offer, and that Walz's offer would also be $2M/year. I can't see him leaving a good gig in Louisville for Starkville, but what do I know.


lynxmania



Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 9102
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/20 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Passing along a rumor about who Mississippi State might hire to become its next WBB head coach:

https://twitter.com/WBBTeedUp/status/1247595158914424833

Quote:
$2M offer to a current ACC HC who has coached in a Final Four


( https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/1247611315994017792 )


Well, Walz and McGraw aren't going anywhere. Hillsman would be a dumb hire imo.

Tweet didn't say "head"coach and I'm not sure which asst.s qualify.


McCallie?



Nell Yes ? Shocked


Fortner never went to the Final Four as a head coach.


And so?


Because the tweet states that they offered an ACC Head Coach who has coached in the Final Four.... which would eliminate Nell.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61030
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/20 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Passing along a rumor about who Mississippi State might hire to become its next WBB head coach:

https://twitter.com/WBBTeedUp/status/1247595158914424833

Quote:
$2M offer to a current ACC HC who has coached in a Final Four


( https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/1247611315994017792 )


Well, Walz and McGraw aren't going anywhere. Hillsman would be a dumb hire imo.

Tweet didn't say "head"coach and I'm not sure which asst.s qualify.


McCallie?



Nell Yes ? Shocked


Fortner never went to the Final Four as a head coach.


And so?


Because the tweet states that they offered an ACC Head Coach who has coached in the Final Four.... which would eliminate Nell.


She coached in the F4 as an assistant



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 4326
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/20 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only coach on the list that makes any sense is Jeff Walz. Muffet McGraw would also arguably be worth that kind of money but i can't believe she would leave South Bend. None of the others on that list are worth even half that much.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 6289
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/20 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see McGraw or Walz leaving their programs to go to into the Deep South, or their universities not matching an MSU offer.

Nell Fortner might make geographic sense, given that she was born in Mississippi and has spent all but one of her coaching years in the South, but I don't think she's worth $2M.
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 4398
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/20 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Wes Moore would show interest.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/charlotte/sports/2019/05/24/nc-state-women-s-basketball-coach-signs-new-6-year-contract



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 13385



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/20 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I could see someone like Wes having been interested in Texas, but why would he move to Miss St? That's not really an upgrade, plus it probably comes with unreasonable pressures and expectations to sustain what are probably unsustainable recent levels of sucess.

I don't see Miss St as a particularly attractive job and just money is usually not enough to interest someone good who could earn just as much elsewhere or from their current school.

The same is even more true for Walz.


PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 15290
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/20 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I could see someone like Wes having been interested in Texas, but why would he move to Miss St? That's not really an upgrade, plus it probably comes with unreasonable pressures and expectations to sustain what are probably unsustainable recent levels of sucess.

I don't see Miss St as a particularly attractive job and just money is usually not enough to interest someone good who could earn just as much elsewhere or from their current school.

The same is even more true for Walz.


Agreed.

Outside of Vic's tenure, MSU is not a place with a history of success.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 54508



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/20 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently it’s between Nikki McCray and Jeff Walz.
https://cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=80570
Quote:
A final decision could be made as early as Thursday as both Walz and McCray-Penson reportedly want the job.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 4398
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/20 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A news outlet is reporting that McRay is the new Bulldawg coach.


https://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=80571



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 8060



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/20 4:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Passing along a rumor about who Mississippi State might hire to become its next WBB head coach:

https://twitter.com/WBBTeedUp/status/1247595158914424833

Quote:
$2M offer to a current ACC HC who has coached in a Final Four


( https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/1247611315994017792 )


Well, Walz and McGraw aren't going anywhere. Hillsman would be a dumb hire imo.

Tweet didn't say "head"coach and I'm not sure which asst.s qualify.


The tweet says “ACC HC”. What would HC stand for if not head coach?


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 12851
Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/20 4:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Passing along a rumor about who Mississippi State might hire to become its next WBB head coach:

https://twitter.com/WBBTeedUp/status/1247595158914424833

Quote:
$2M offer to a current ACC HC who has coached in a Final Four


( https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/1247611315994017792 )


Well, Walz and McGraw aren't going anywhere. Hillsman would be a dumb hire imo.

Tweet didn't say "head"coach and I'm not sure which asst.s qualify.


The tweet says “ACC HC”. What would HC stand for if not head coach?


Obviously I misread the tweet.

I assume Walz turned down the offer if indeed NM was hired. The difference bet he and Nikki is vast, imo.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
BamaEd



Joined: 11 May 2014
Posts: 490
Location: United States


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/20 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Nikki on getting the job. Seems she was doing great things at ODU and glad she's getting the chance to prove herself on a bigger stage.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61030
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/20 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
I assume Walz turned down the offer if indeed NM was hired. The difference bet he and Nikki is vast, imo.


Walz is more proven. McCray is coming off 26-7 in her third season as HC. Walz was 14-18 in his third season.



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin