RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Has Debbie Antonelli said one word about
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/26/20 4:21 pm    ::: Has Debbie Antonelli said one word about Reply Reply with quote

the unfair backyard advantage soon to be given 3 of the #1 seeds this year?

She had lots to say about UConn playing in Bridgeport and Albany.

Has she promoted her Vegas Sweet 16 proposal?

It was all only for the betterment of the game, right Debbie?!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 02/26/20 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Its not like she was lying though Laughing ....how many years in the last 10 has UCONN not been in either Bridgeport or Albany ? Laughing

PostPosted: 02/26/20 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Its not like she was lying though Laughing ....how many years in the last 10 has UCONN not been in either Bridgeport or Albany ? Laughing

True, but when was the last time a FF was in UConn's backyard compared to others? Answer Boston back over a dozen years ago. Seems like Indiana and Texas/Baylor/TAMU have benefited there, even if they couldn't take advantage.

And I think Vegas replacing the regionals is the best idea since eliminating the one and one ft's.

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/27/20 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Well, the point is to get fannies in the seats, isn't it? The rest of the regional attendance records are mediocre at best and abysmal at worst. She wants people to see "our game" but only if they aren't in NE. And not for nothing, the only year that UCONN being close to home could've been remotely the reason for us getting to the FF, was 2019. Every other year we were "bad for the game." And I don't care where we played Louisville last year, we weren't losing to Walz twice in the same season. This Ft. Wayne regional is going to be a mess. ND sure fucked that up.

Antonelli is a UCONN hating hack. She is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I can't even imagine what her husband goes through when she starts nagging him, because she can beat a horse to death.....twice.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 02/27/20 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

But, but it's still not fair because UConn hardly ever plays in a Final Four that's in their backyard despite not leaving their backyard until the Final Four.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 02/27/20 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

yeah but, where is she this year? Wink

PostPosted: 02/27/20 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I went to the 2016 Final Four in Indy and let me tell you...you would think that the game was in Storrs itself! I was also at the 2011 Final Four in Indy and the open practices were overwhelmingly UConn fans. I swear that's probably why they stopped the open practices...fans waiting hours to see the Huskies and get their autographs while the 2011 champs hardly had anyone in their line to get autographs.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/27/20 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

True, but when was the last time a FF was in UConn's backyard compared to others? Answer Boston back over a dozen years ago. Seems like Indiana and Texas/Baylor/TAMU have benefited there, even if they couldn't take advantage.

And I think Vegas replacing the regionals is the best idea since eliminating the one and one ft's.

And when the FF was in Boston, UConn wasn't there. So they couldn't take advantage, either.

~rAf
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 02/27/20 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

yeah, but......but....but.....

but.......

but, yeah........

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 02/27/20 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

If they couldn't take advantage, then please explain how it is a benefit?

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 02/27/20 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only advantageous Final Four settings I could see (going back to 1994), was:

1994 FF in Richmond, VA - UNC was the winner
1996 FF in Charlotte, NC - Tenn. was the winner
1997 FF in Cincinnati, OH - Notre Dame was in FF
1998 FF in Kansas City, MO - Tenn. was the winner
2000 FF in Philadelphia, PA - CT was winner, also Rutgers and Penn St. were in FF
2001 FF in St. Louis, MO - Notre Dame was winner, also Purdue and Missouri State were in FF
2002 FF in San Antonio, TX - Oklahoma was in FF
2003 FF was in Atlanta, GA - Tenn. and Duke were in FF
2005 FF was in Indianapolis, Indiana - Michigan St. was in FF
2009 FF was in St. Louis, MO - Oklahoma was in FF
2010 FF was in San Antonio, TX - Baylor and Oklahoma were in FF
2011 FF was in Indianapolis, IN - Notre Dame was in FF
2018 FF was in Columbus, OH - Notre Dame was the winner, also Louisville was in FF

2020 FF will be in New Orleans, LA - who will be Final Four participants? Baylor? Mississippi State?

Howee

PostPosted: 02/27/20 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey. When yer GOOD, (....and blessed with a smidge of luck)
you will win what you will win. The only real disadvantage is to the fans. Cool

PostPosted: 02/27/20 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

you wanna grouse about FF's? None on the West Coast! I'm guessing Vegas will get it at some point.

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 02/28/20 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

but.......

but, yeah........

So answer the question- where's Antonelli's concern THIS year, Conway, when 3 of 4 #1s will get "home" Regional sites?

PostPosted: 02/28/20 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

So answer the question- where's Antonelli's concern THIS year, Conway, when 3 of 4 #1s will get "home" Regional sites?

Errmmm....I don't 'follow' Deb's prognostications or analysis, but....isn't it a little early for her (or anyone, for that matter) to begin the wailing and gnashing of teeth re: tourney placements? Not all parts of it are foregone conclusions yet, are they. Give the woman some time! Razz

PostPosted: 02/29/20 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

but.......

but, yeah........

Well, unlike YOU and Connecticut "whataboutism" fans, she probably doesn't have much concern about it, and rather she's saying, "Congrats - Well Done!" to those 3 teams that actually did well enough in 2019-20 to have a chance to take advantage of those "home" sites - considering that the NCAA announced those sites back on April 18, 2017 - as well as the Preliminary Round sites for 2021 and 2022 as well.

So you ask, why didn't and doesn't Antonelli gripe about the NCAA setting the table for South Carolina, Baylor, and Oregon to have "home" court advantages, three full years before it was known that they even would?? I guess that's a good question to ask???

But I may be wrong here - may have a slightly askew bead on the thought process - but I think what Antonelli was complaining about, was a NCAA process that takes place years in advance, but is concluded - regardless of how teams in local regions take advantage of them - naming similar regions year after year after year. My take is, even if Connecticut was having Hartford-like seasons over the past 10 seasons, that Albany, Bridgeport, and other nearby regions getting so many Preliminary Round Regions in so small a sample size, is unfair to other regions, cities, states that could benefit from the tax-payer and commerce revenues that each tournament generates.

As it is, we already know that Albany (Siena /MAAC are hosts) gets ANOTHER Regional site for 2021, and Bridgeport (CT. / Fairfield are Hosts) will have a site for 2022. And there aren't any for SC (Greensboro, NC - hosted by the ACC is close for 2022), or Oregon (Spokane, Washington is decently close I guess - about a 6-7 hour drive. They have a site for both 2021 and 2022, with Idaho hosting both, however that works!).

So the question was for the last 10 years or so: Heck, we can do better than that:

1997: N/A
1998: N/A
1999: N/A
2000: Philadelphia, PA (only 3 hr 45 min drive from Storrs)
2001: N/A
2002: N/A
2003: N/A

This period shouldn't cause Debbie nor anyone any strife - I didn't go further back because Connecticut wasn't as big a national program (they only won their 1st title in 1995, incidentally Storrs was a Regional site that year Wink ;

2004: Hartford
2005: Philadelphia, PA
2006: Bridgeport
2007: N/A
2008: N/A
2009: Trenton, NJ (only 3 hr 21 min drive from Storrs)
2010: N/A
2011: Philadelphia, PA
2012: Kingston, R.I. (only 1 hr 23 minutes from Storrs, it's closer than Albany is by about a half hour's drive, only 15 minutes further than Bridgeport is)
2013: Bridgeport
2014: N/A
2015: Albany
2016: Bridgeport
2017: Bridgeport
2018: Albany
2019: Albany
2020: N/A
2021: Albany
2022: Bridgeport

OK, that's NINETEEN (19) years - almost TWICE as long as the time-span asked about: 14 times a Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight Regional Site hosted within 4 hours' driving distance from Storrs, CT., 6 times the sites were within the State of CT, 10 times they were at either Bridgeport or Albany - within the last 17 of those 19 years, and 8 times in a 10-year span from 2013 through 2022.

Now that I've kindly responded to your challenge with hard facts, I would like for you to reciprocate by showing me ANY other top WCBB program in the same time-frame - you can even use the 1997 through 2003 seasons I've dismissed above - that have had Preliminary Regional sites within 4 hours drive from their campus flag for HALF as many times as Connecticut has had. That means, at least 7 times, and that includes Tennessee, Stanford, etc.

I think what Antonelli was remarking on, was all those "Albany" and "Bridgeport" sites over the last 5-6 years. Again, regardless whether CT won the whole thing or not, or even reached the Final Four or not. I think that was the point she was trying to make.

It's tough to have one top team play in their backyard for a national tournament, while another top team goes across the nation to play their games. I think it's tougher - some could argue "unfair" - to have that happen year after year after year.

And again, it's not even so much about the benefits that one or two programs could receive - provided they can take advantage of it - it's also the benefit that those cities, communities, and states receive - and they definitely take advantage of that, every time - from increased revenue and exposure the tournament regional sites give them, over other cities, communities, and states, year after year after year. That is definitely perceived as unfair to many....

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 02/29/20 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not a complicated question, for most.

Antonelli and everyone else knew years ago where the regionals will be played this year.

She also is aware, as are most (all?) WCB fans, that 3 teams have clearly separated themselves from the pack, and that each of those teams will play at "local" regional sites.

For years, she has been an outspoken critic of the unfair advantage the WCB tournament gives the best teams by placing them in these unfair locations, and has promoted having all regionals played in Las Vegas.

The Top 16 seed "reveal" was done at least once already, and I believe another will be done on Monday. Antonelli has had opportunity to voice her concern- which should be at DEFCON 1 considering 3 of 4 projected (locked-in) #1s will experience that which she so stringently opposes.

But yet, not a peep from Debbie.

PostPosted: 02/29/20 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Debbie Antonelli's concerns are twofold. She is concerned about the unfair playing field but she also wants to provide the sport with a showcase. She has suggested that the Women's Final Four should not be the same weekend as the men. Her idea for Las Vegas has been for all four regionals to take over the town or for an eight team tournament as a way of centering attention.

The reason for having so many tournament games in New England/Albany has always been because they could sellouts, something they couldn't do in most other places. South Carolina, Baylor and Oregon/Oregon St. have now built fan bases that will support a regional, and as other cities show they can support them they will be able to host as well.

I believe the proposal for an 16 team Las Vegas final makes sense because if you had a full week there is probably no place that would have sufficient hotel capacity and other entertainment at very reasonable prices that could do it. But be clear, as far the NCAA is concerned they want full arenas and revenue from those games, so if they can't make money it won't happen.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 02/29/20 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Antonelli and everyone else knew years ago where the regionals will be played this year.

She also is aware, as are most (all?) WCB fans, that 3 teams have clearly separated themselves from the pack, and that each of those teams will play at "local" regional sites.

For years, she has been an outspoken critic of the unfair advantage the WCB tournament gives the best teams by placing them in these unfair locations, and has promoted having all regionals played in Las Vegas.

The Top 16 seed "reveal" was done at least once already, and I believe another will be done on Monday. Antonelli has had opportunity to voice her concern- which should be at DEFCON 1 considering 3 of 4 projected (locked-in) #1s will experience that which she so stringently opposes.

She has been been hawking the Las Vegas idea for years now. Do you think she has given up on it?

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/29/20 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Schools/arenas must bid on regionals, and the only way they make money is if they sell a lot of tickets. History has made it clear that if there isn't a local team to fill the seats, the hosts will lose money.

So New England sites will bid, feeling fairly confident UConn fans will fill the seats. Portland will bid, feeling Oregon will be there.

But why would you bid in Chicago? Or Dallas? Or Atlanta?

PostPosted: 02/29/20 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

She has been been hawking the Las Vegas idea for years now. Do you think she has given up on it?

She has been ranting against the unfair advantage in regionals for years. Do you think she has given up on it?

PostPosted: 03/01/20 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the COVID virus continues to spread across the country we may be seeing the worse-attended regionals and FF in a long while.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/01/20 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

She has been ranting against the unfair advantage in regionals for years. Do you think she has given up on it?

I'm not the one brewing up conspiracy theories about Antonelli's biases......

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/02/20 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a simple, appropriate question- why hasn't Antonelli decried the local aspect of 3 of the 4 regionals, as she has done for the past several years?

PostPosted: 03/02/20 2:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Debbie been a low key uconn hater for years. I peeped her game a long time ago when she used to do that podcast for espn. Go listen to all those old podcasts and you get the answer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: