RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

BIG Ten Tournament
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/07/20 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Iowa getting crushed by what we know is a very mediocre team.

I fail to see all the love Charlie seems to be giving the B1G.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^confirming my onion of Charlie (and whoever elected him God).

He only guesses what the committee will think. I don't remember him being that blatantly wrong on something these past couple years (before then, there would often be a couple teams he'd be way off on).

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/07/20 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
dinkytown wrote:
#12 Wisconsin 71, #13 Illinois 55
#11 Minnesota 85, #14 Penn St 65

Rough first year for Kieger at Penn State. I assume that it will likely take a little while to get things turned around there though - what do other Big Ten fans think?

So, Penn State is an anomaly to me. They have a great women's volleyball program and a great women's soccer program, and a pretty good women's atheltics departments....but basketball seems to just putter along. The school and the athletics department sells itself. I think this is all coach personality when it comes to recruiting. Problem for a new coach, Pennsylvania just isn't a hot bed for girls HS basketball.

Like, Minnesota for instance. They've been kind of puttering along too. But they brought back a famous alumni as a HC and from watching Paige Bueckers HS games, there is a lot of HS basketball talent in MSP. I think Minnesota has a much better chance of being top-15 before Penn State.

Maybe Kieger can come back to Marquette when a big school hires Duffy Laughing ? I kid about Kieger coming back (I wish her well and hope she gets things going at PSU). Just trying to enjoy the ride with Duffy - very happy with her but figure it's only a matter of time before a school in a P5 conference hires her.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/07/20 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
dinkytown wrote:
#12 Wisconsin 71, #13 Illinois 55
#11 Minnesota 85, #14 Penn St 65

Rough first year for Kieger at Penn State. I assume that it will likely take a little while to get things turned around there though - what do other Big Ten fans think?

So, Penn State is an anomaly to me. They have a great women's volleyball program and a great women's soccer program, and a pretty good women's atheltics departments....but basketball seems to just putter along. The school and the athletics department sells itself. I think this is all coach personality when it comes to recruiting. Problem for a new coach, Pennsylvania just isn't a hot bed for girls HS basketball.

Like, Minnesota for instance. They've been kind of puttering along too. But they brought back a famous alumni as a HC and from watching Paige Bueckers HS games, there is a lot of HS basketball talent in MSP. I think Minnesota has a much better chance of being top-15 before Penn State.

So I was told, rather huffily, when I twitted someone on another board about Drexel's poor attendance and said you'd think a winning program could draw better than THAT. (referring to the pitiful crowd at the game I had watched part of earlier)

No excuse. Go recruit somewhere else and build a program that people will come watch out of CURIOSITY if nothing else. Kieger nabbed one of the best seniors in Wisconsin this year. I have no idea what possessed the kid to go to Penn State, but good luck to her. *shrug*

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/07/20 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice intense 1st semi tonight, IU v UM.

Terps up 21 18 6:40 2nd

Loud, partisan crown in Indy

PostPosted: 03/07/20 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Indy could actually put the ball in the basket, it would help their cause. They're clearly totally overmatched inside so they don't want to drive it...which limits what they can do. Charles continues to un-impress. I keep looking for the player some people think will be a good player in the W, but not seeing it.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/07/20 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Patberg is a Debbie Black-like full-blown pest.

- Amanda Gorman
tfan

PostPosted: 03/07/20 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bummer, Vera Jones is retiring. They said she has been a broadcaster for 30 years and will continue to do motivational speaking. Seems like she could do both. Hope they aren’t pushing her out or causing her to want to retire from being moved down the announcing ladder.

https://www.verasvoiceworks.com/

She graduated Syracuse University in 1988 so should be around 54.

Last edited by tfan on 03/07/20 9:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Shades

PostPosted: 03/07/20 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Only Myrtle would hate on 11 pts (5-10), 8 reb, 4 ast.
At least they’re now playing her mostly at her WNBA position.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/07/20 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the Mich Oh St game the broadcast team spent 5 mins and 3 different camera angles on a play in the paint in which a defender stopped in her tracks after fouling the shooter, but no foul was called. The misfired shot from 7 ft fell short and was grabbed by a teammate (Hillmon?) under the rim. She then jumped 6 inches sideways with both feet leaving the court, landed, then shot and made the bunny.

Travel, ffs.

PostPosted: 03/07/20 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

wait...who am I hating on? I loved Debbie Black. One of my favorite early on W players.

oh, you mean Charles. Charles is a good player, but I certainly don't see her as starter material in the W like some are touting. She missed bunnies, fumbled the ball around,... and in general sometimes just looked out of sync with her teammates. So I guess if that is your definition of hating on, yep that's what I think.

and if you saw her in the Purdue game, you would know what I mean.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 03/08/20 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

Charles is a good player, but I certainly don't see her as starter material in the W like some are touting.

I don’t see her as rookie starter material either, but that’s not what you said the first time. You said you don’t see her as W player at all, but Patberg you like? Sheez. Are you willing to go on a limb and predict Charles doesn’t stick on a roster as a rookie based on your thorough cherry picking of a few bad moments? I hope not.

She has her good games too, but apparently you’ve never been around to see those?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 03/08/20 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/08/20 8:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Bummer, Vera Jones is retiring. They said she has been a broadcaster for 30 years and will continue to do motivational speaking. Seems like she could do both. Hope they aren’t pushing her out or causing her to want to retire from being moved down the announcing ladder.

https://www.verasvoiceworks.com/

She graduated Syracuse University in 1988 so should be around 54.

Yeah, I hated to hear that. She's one of my favorites. I'd rather it be Beth or Debbie.

PostPosted: 03/08/20 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

Charles is a good player, but I certainly don't see her as starter material in the W like some are touting.

I don’t see her as rookie starter material either, but that’s not what you said the first time. You said you don’t see her as W player at all, but Patberg you like? Sheez. Are you willing to go on a limb and predict Charles doesn’t stick on a roster as a rookie based on your thorough cherry picking of a few bad moments? I hope not.

She has her good games too, but apparently you’ve never been around to see those?

Laughing now who is cherry picking? You take her best game of the year. I want to see her have that game against a really good opponent. You're right though that I haven't watched a lot of their games this year so my opinion is just based on the ones I've seen. Whatever. I don't claim to be omniscient. I didn't think Diamond would be as good as she's turned out to be either. And just because I like a college player, it doesn't mean I think she'll be a great pro, or even a pro at all - like Patberg or Harris for instance. or Didi Richards. They just happen to be fun to watch...for college players.

- Amanda Gorman
xwomynjoc

PostPosted: 03/08/20 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

Laughing now who is cherry picking? You take her best game of the year. I want to see her have that game against a really good opponent. You're right though that I haven't watched a lot of their games this year so my opinion is just based on the ones I've seen. Whatever. I don't claim to be omniscient. I didn't think Diamond would be as good as she's turned out to be either. And just because I like a college player, it doesn't mean I think she'll be a great pro, or even a pro at all - like Patberg or Harris for instance. or Didi Richards. They just happen to be fun to watch...for college players.

Yep. When there are 5 players averaging double figures and Charles has the leading ave. in Conference play at 16.7 and is shooting .684%, I guess she did have a least one good game. She didn't need to be all-miss everything for this team.

PostPosted: 03/08/20 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ok, let me re-iterate my original statement: I don't see Charles as an immediate starter in the W, and maybe not even a future starter. That does not mean I think she's not a good college player. Y'all are just over-sensitive to any criticism whatsoever. If you think she's the best thing since sliced bread, I disagree. If you think she's a good college level player I would agree. Her athleticism is outstanding. However she needs to learn to shoot the three and become a better FT shooter and cut down on her TOs for the next level. And of course you are free to disagree.

- Amanda Gorman
xwomynjoc

PostPosted: 03/08/20 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ok, let me re-iterate my original statement: I don't see Charles as an immediate starter in the W, and maybe not even a future starter. That does not mean I think she's not a good college player. Y'all are just over-sensitive to any criticism whatsoever. If you think she's the best thing since sliced bread, I disagree. If you think she's a good college level player I would agree. Her athleticism is outstanding. However she needs to learn to shoot the three and become a better FT shooter and cut down on her TOs for the next level. And of course you are free to disagree.

I totally agree with all you say. I've been very frustrated with some of her play this year and often wondered when she was going to show up. I read into your comments a bit and got defensive of your criticism. I believe Walker-Kimbrough was a better college player and she's not starting in the W. Thanks for further explaining your views.

PostPosted: 03/08/20 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

speaking of body re-shaping... Shout out to what S. Jones has done over her four years at Maryland. She looks great.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/08/20 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

xwomynjoc wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I totally agree with all you say. I've been very frustrated with some of her play this year and often wondered when she was going to show up. I read into your comments a bit and got defensive of your criticism. I believe Walker-Kimbrough was a better college player and she's not starting in the W. Thanks for further explaining your views.

SWK was one of my major favs as a college player. I still think she could become a good pro as well. One of her main problems IMO is her lack of confidence. She's never seemed to realize just how good she is or could be. I always root for her when she gets on the floor!

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/08/20 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't realize that OhSU's team is all Freshmen and Sophs. That explains their ups and downs this season. It looks like they have a good future ahead of them. Just looking at their record this year, while they have quite a few losses, none of them are what I would call really bad losses.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/08/20 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had some hopes for OSU early in the game. I left and did something else and when I got back Maryland had taken over.Mad I have to explain that I almost never root for OSU, but the only circumstances under which I would root for Maryland is if they were playing UConn, or *maybe* Baylor.

PostPosted: 03/09/20 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland is so under the radar despite being a likely #1 seed. It's all about CarolOregBay or whether UConn can pull off a multiple revenge upset. Maryland deserves more love from independent fans.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/09/20 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Maryland is so under the radar despite being a likely #1 seed. It's all about CarolOregBay or whether UConn can pull off a multiple revenge upset. Maryland deserves more love from independent fans.

Not really.

PostPosted: 03/09/20 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

They've been very impressive this year since things clicked (they started the B1G 2-2). Every once in a while they make you go Question with their effort.

For example, they beat Purdue by 43 points, 88-45, on Feb. 25 and then ten days later against the same team just by 10, 74-62.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/10/20 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

They've been very impressive this year since things clicked (they started the B1G 2-2). Every once in a while they make you go Question with their effort.

For example, they beat Purdue by 43 points, 88-45, on Feb. 25 and then ten days later against the same team just by 10, 74-62.

To me, it just looked like they excelled because overall the B1G wasn't nearly as good as advertised. Guess we will see how all of those teams fare in the big dance and maybe they'll make me eat my words.

- Amanda Gorman
RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/10/20 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Owusu...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: