RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big East Craziness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/28/20 3:49 pm    ::: Big East Craziness Reply Reply with quote

Heading into the final weekend of regular season games, the only seed that has been decided is DePaul as the #1 seed. Villanova is pretty crazy as they can end up anywhere from 2nd to 7th. The real battle will be to avoid the 7th seed and having to play on the first day of the BET. Xavier, Georgetown and Providence will all finish between 8-10 and are assured of playing on the first day of the BET but their exact seed is still in question.

Marquette can finish anywhere from 2nd-4th. A win in their only game this weekend would assure them 2nd place due to tiebreakers but they play DePaul and I'm not sure they can pull off that upset. Butler and Villanova are two teams that Marquette can tie with and Butler can finish ahead of Marquette if they win both their games this weekend (at St. John's and at Seton Hall) and Marquette loses to DePaul Sunday.

There could end up being a five way tie at 3rd with teams finishing with an 11-7 mark.

Villanova at Creighton is on FS1 at 7PM EST. I'm rooting hard for Creighton tonight Smile. A Villanova loss tonight would mean Marquette could finish no lower than 3rd in the BE.

Info on all the BE games tonight and how to watch them (free digital broadcasts for the ones not on TV):
http://www.bigeast.com/news/2020/2/26/womens-basketball-bigeastwbb-minute-dramatic-final-weekend-of-play-tips-off-friday.aspx

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/28/20 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thanks for the update!

it'll be nice to follow some familiar teams again, next year.

PostPosted: 02/28/20 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
thanks for the update!

Yeah at least one other person cares Smile.

You mean it will be fun to crush some familiar teams again next year Laughing ?

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/28/20 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
thanks for the update!

Ha. Those days I think are a couple of years away. Wink

Seriously, it'll be a pleasure to be rid of the AAC. I do wish it was for a P5 though. Oh well.

PostPosted: 02/28/20 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
thanks for the update!

Seriously, it'll be a pleasure to be rid of the AAC. I do wish it was for a P5 though. Oh well.

UCONN will help the strength of the Big East but yeah it can only help so much Smile.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/28/20 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Things went well for Marquette as Creighton easily defeated Villanova and St. John's defeated Butler in OT. Now Marquette can finish no worse than tied for 2nd with Butler. Marquette hosts DePaul Sunday and Butler travels to Seton Hall. If Marquette were to somehow defeat DePaul Sunday, they'd be assured of the 2 seed as they'd win a tiebreaker over Butler in that scenario.

Marquette is second at 12-5, Butler is 3rd at 11-6 and there is a 4 way tie for 4th right now with Villanova, Creighton, St. John's and Seton Hall all having 10-7 records.

The games Sunday:

Butler at Seton Hall - 1P EST
Villanova at Providence - 1P EST
Georgetown at Creighton - 2P EST
DePaul at Marquette - 3P EST on FS2
Xavier at St. John's - 4P EST

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/29/20 2:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Marquette beats DePaul they will get 2nd outright. If Butler wins and Marquette loses the tiebreakers get complicated. Butler beat Villanova twice while Marquette beat St. John's twice. That would mean that if St. John's beats Xavier and Providence beats Villanova, St John's would finish ahead of Villanova which would give Marquette the tie breaker. Otherwise Butler would win the tiebreaker on the basis of a better road record.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/29/20 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
If Marquette beats DePaul they will get 2nd outright. If Butler wins and Marquette loses the tiebreakers get complicated. Butler beat Villanova twice while Marquette beat St. John's twice. That would mean that if St. John's beats Xavier and Providence beats Villanova, St John's would finish ahead of Villanova which would give Marquette the tie breaker. Otherwise Butler would win the tiebreaker on the basis of a better road record.

I thought the tiebreakers when two teams finish tied was head to head first and then if they split went to record against the best team in the conference. So I was having trouble speculating on that one since I have no idea how the teams will finish in the standings at this point. Marquette only has the edge with the St. John's opponent as you say - they split with Creighton and Villanova while Butler swept those two teams.

Butler at Seton Hall tips off 2 hours before the Marquette-DePaul game - hopefully I'll see that Butler has lost right about the time the MU game has started Smile.

There's a decent possibility that the 4 teams tied for 4th right now could all win tomorrow and end up 11-7 and if that happens that would mean Butler lost and they'd make it a 5 way tie for 3rd at 11-7. That would be a fun tiebreaker Smile. Villanova, Creighton and St. John's are all playing 3 of the worst teams in the league with only Villanova having to be on the road. Seton Hall has a tougher game as they host Butler - I could see that one going either way.

The 1 seed is still the only seed officially decided for the BET - everything else will be decided with tomorrow's games.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 02/29/20 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
thanks for the update!

I'm not sure why the WCBB in the BE can't be more competitive like the MBB in the BE is. The MBB in the BE is like a P5 conference, for men's basketball. I know the revenues that FB bring are not there to assist with the other programs, but if MBB is the Big East's FB, then why can't the WBB be the Big East's MBB, so to speak?

CT returning to the BE could be the spark to ignite increased interest for the BE WBB programs, in a way that CT fans were hoping would happen for the AAC, but didn't probably because CFB in the AAC was too much of an distraction/obstacle for most conference members. We'll see......

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/29/20 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone have an idea where I can find the tiebreakers published for the Big East? A google search has turned up nothing so far this morning Sad.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/29/20 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Anyone have an idea where I can find the tiebreakers published for the Big East? A google search has turned up nothing so far this morning :(.

This is where I found it. It is for the men, but I believe it is the same as the women.

https://247sports.com/Article/If-the-Big-East-Tournament-started-today-Projected-seeds-schedule-tiebreakers-142373378/

The second tiebreaker (after head-to head) is record against the better teams, so if St John's finishes ahead of Villanova or Creighton, Marquette would have the tiebreaker. (That means Marquette could also win the tiebreaker if Georgetown beats Creighton and St John's wins.) But if all of the favorites win Butler and Marquette would have the same record against the 11-7 teams. Then it would go to road wins where Butler would have the edge.

At least that is how I understand it.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/29/20 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
Anyone have an idea where I can find the tiebreakers published for the Big East? A google search has turned up nothing so far this morning Sad.

This is where I found it. It is for the men, but I believe it is the same as the women.

https://247sports.com/Article/If-the-Big-East-Tournament-started-today-Projected-seeds-schedule-tiebreakers-142373378/

The second tiebreaker (after head-to head) is record against the better teams, so if St John's finishes ahead of Villanova or Creighton, Marquette would have the tiebreaker. (That means Marquette could also win the tiebreaker if Georgetown beats Creighton and St John's wins.) But if all of the favorites win Butler and Marquette would have the same record against the 11-7 teams. Then it would go to road wins where Butler would have the edge.

At least that is how I understand it.

Thanks. This helps a lot.

>Each team’s record vs. the team or group of tied teams occupying the highest position in the standings. If an advantage is not determined, proceed to the next team or group of tied teams in the standings for comparison. Continue down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.

I didn't realize it compared against the group of tied teams. So let's say Creighton, Villanova, Seton Hall and St. John's tied at 11-7 and Marquette and Butler tied at 12-6, I thought they'd figure out who was seeds 4, 5, 6 and 7 for those 4 teams and then see how Marquette and Butler did against seed 4 first, then 5-7 if need be. But I see I was wrong about that Smile.

I think the best bet for Marquette is for Seton Hall to beat Butler Smile. But a 3rd seed wouldn't be the end of the world especially considering they were picked to finish 9th in the preseason poll and were only one vote away from being picked to finish last in the conference. And I'd have to think that Megan Duffy has to be the front runner for BE COY - as a Marquette blog poster wrote today - 'The only reason to vote for someone not named Megan Duffy is because your name is Megan Duffy and you can't vote for yourself' Smile.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/01/20 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DePaul at Marquette is on FS2 at 3P EST. Marquette is doing their senior day ceremony pre-game this year which I'm bummed about - they used to do it post game for many years and I liked that a lot better. I also thought it was funny I got an email that the ceremony will start at 1:44 local time - seemed like a little bit of an odd time Smile.

An article from the Big East that includes some seeding scenarios and links to watch the 4 other BE games today online for free:

http://www.bigeast.com/news/2020/2/29/womens-basketball-bigeastwbb-minute-regular-season-concludes-sunday.aspx

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/01/20 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan, Blake Dudonis has a nice conversation with Megan Duffy in his latest The Jump Around podcast. I thought you might be interested.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/01/20 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Marquette Fan, Blake Dudonis has a nice conversation with Megan Duffy in his latest The Jump Around podcast. I thought you might be interested.

Thanks for thinking of me. Marquette tweeted about it the day it came out and I listened to it the other night. It was a really good listen.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/01/20 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The most interesting tie breaker is Georgetown and Xavier because they tie on everything until the NCAA ranking. For the men it is NET rating and I assume that means the RPI for women. Georgetown will win that as of today, and that is the difference between playing Providence and most likely Villanova.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/01/20 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
The most interesting tie breaker is Georgetown and Xavier because they tie on everything until the NCAA ranking. For the men it is NET rating and I assume that means the RPI for women. Georgetown will win that as of today, and that is the difference between playing Providence and most likely Villanova.

You were right - the Big East just tweeted out a bracket. But they have to wait to see tomorrow’s RPI to see which teams of those two are the 9 and 10 seeds.

And you had 5 teams tie for 3rd at 11-7 - wow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: