RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coronavirus Pandemic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/29/21 3:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Some things happening I don’t understand. Why is New York not experiencing, maybe not an identical cataclysm like they did last spring, but something commensurate with it? I mean, what has changed that would slow severe illnesses and deaths down to this extent at a time when there are so many new more transmissible variants on the rise? This is a mystery to me.

It's likely they're underreporting other deaths the same way they are those in nursing homes

Meaning....NY is underreporting Covid deaths? How might that benefit anyone?

N.Y. Severely Undercounted Virus Deaths in Nursing Homes, Report Says

The state attorney general, Letitia James, said it’s likely that the Cuomo administration failed to report thousands of Covid-19 deaths of nursing home residents.

By Jesse McKinley and Luis Ferré-Sadurní
Jan. 28, 2021

The New York Times

ALBANY, N.Y. — For most of the past year, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo has tried to brush away a persistent criticism that undermined his national image as the man who led New York through the pandemic: that his policies had allowed thousands of nursing home residents to die of the virus.

But Mr. Cuomo was dealt a blow when the New York State attorney general, Letitia James, reported on Thursday morning that Mr. Cuomo’s administration had undercounted coronavirus-related deaths of state nursing home residents by the thousands.

Just hours later, Ms. James was proved correct, as Health Department officials made public new data that added more than 3,800 deaths to their tally, representing nursing home residents who had died in hospitals and had not previously been counted by the state as nursing home deaths.

The state’s acknowledgment increased the overall death toll related to those facilities by more than 40 percent. Ms. James’s report had suggested that the state’s previous tally could be off by as much as 50 percent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/28/nyregion/nursing-home-deaths-cuomo.html

PostPosted: 01/30/21 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My grandmother lives in an assisted living facility where they had no cases until this week. She couldn't get yet vaccinated because her facility was considered an apartment building rather than a nursing home. She has been isolated except for brief and distanced family visits since March. My fear all year is that she will spend the last year of her life without getting to be with her family, without getting any hugs.

And she tested positive today.

Fuck this fucking virus.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/31/21 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
My grandmother lives in an assisted living facility where they had no cases until this week. She couldn't get yet vaccinated because her facility was considered an apartment building rather than a nursing home. She has been isolated except for brief and distanced family visits since March. My fear all year is that she will spend the last year of her life without getting to be with her family, without getting any hugs.

And she tested positive today.

Fuck this fucking virus.

Sorry to hear that. Best wishes to her for a quick and complete recovery.

"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/11/21 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mathematician says that all of the COVID particles would fit in a soda can.

https://www.wane.com/news/mathematician-all-the-covid-virus-in-the-world-could-fit-in-a-soda-can/

"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/11/21 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Mathematician says that all of the COVID particles would fit in a soda can.

https://www.wane.com/news/mathematician-all-the-covid-virus-in-the-world-could-fit-in-a-soda-can/

I wonder what that would look like. You’d have to make it a 12 oz clear glass beaker though.

PostPosted: 03/01/21 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

7-day-average of USA cases has stopped declining for the last week or two. But the most recent day is lower than that plateau.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Evb6nrwVIAMfk4G?format=png&name=small

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/02/21 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That plateau has a number of experts concerned that the spread of more infectious variants is beginning to outpace the vaccination rate, setting us up for another spike.

As of yesterday, the US had 50M people who had received their first injections and 25M who had received both injections.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/03/21 1:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One scary thing I read about a variant, in addition to more easily spread it also has a higher re-infection rate.

It is amazing that the virus was allowed to spread freely around the world (after China finally admitted that it was contagious between humans) and now we are allowing the variants to also spread freely. Well, I think there are a few countries like China that would not allow someone to fly in (not sure how land travel is handled) without putting them in forced isolation for a few weeks.

The one thing that will help make up for our seeming inability to comprehend that the virus travels via humans traveling and that the idea of humans traveling freely in a global pandemic needs to be stopped, is that the vaccine manufacturers can supposedly tweak the vaccines quickly for the new variants and it won't have to go through the full approval process.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87
Page 87 of 87

Jump to: