RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coronavirus Pandemic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 10/14/20 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like the world could be changed for quite a while, if not forever due to the virus. And yet, only Australia has firmly or forcefully called for an investigation as to how it started in China. China responded with canceled orders and tariffs. The WHO and the UN have not called for an end to the alleged place it did start - a wildlife market. The WHO even explicitly supported wildlife markets. Although they may have been felt that countries (other than China) need them for the welfare of the people and that you couldn't just ban them in China. And that is after the WHO has seen two viruses - SARS and this one (SARS-2) allegedly come from wildlife markets. Live poultry markets have also been linked to the spread of more deadly versions of the flu virus.

Lilly CEO Says Covid Will Be ‘Endemic,’ Even With Vaccines: Q&A

COVID-19 will probably become endemic – here’s what that means

How do pandemics end? History suggests diseases fade but are almost never truly gon

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/14/20 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think the issue of "wildlife" markets is that simple. Many of the wet markets in the world sell mainly domesticated animals, not wildlife, and provide both a livelihood for farmers and a food source for the population. The WHO has declined to advise that all markets be closed and has taken a position that stringent food safety procedures need to be followed for the sale of domesticated animals and that wildlife should not be sold. Note that the WHO only serves in an advisory capacity and cannot institutes bans within a sovereign country.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/14/20 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's weird, right?
This thing that has turned the whole world upside down was supposedly started in a way that is quite avoidable. You'd think that everyone would be desperate to get to the bottom of it, and learn everything there is to learn to prevent the same thing happening again.
But no one wants to risk offending the sensitive bully.

PostPosted: 10/15/20 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
It's weird, right?
This thing that has turned the whole world upside down was supposedly started in a way that is quite avoidable. You'd think that everyone would be desperate to get to the bottom of it, and learn everything there is to learn to prevent the same thing happening again.

I dunno....45 does his darnedest to offend EVERYONE, and he's had special venom for China.

Determining sources for such pandemics is obviously an important goal; however, how possible is that goal? in contrast, the source of the (far deadlier) Spanish Flu was never pinpointed, was it? I'd even heard Kansas farmers got that one started.

I do NOT get the vindictiveness of the political fallout for these places, unless it is meant to induce better transparency and warning systems to avoid similar recurrences.

PostPosted: 10/15/20 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
It's weird, right?

I dunno....45 does his darnedest to offend EVERYONE, and he's had special venom for China.

Determining sources for such pandemics is obviously an important goal; however, how possible is that goal? in contrast, the source of the (far deadlier) Spanish Flu was never pinpointed, was it? I'd even heard Kansas farmers got that one started.

I do NOT get the vindictiveness of the political fallout for these places, unless it is meant to induce better transparency and warning systems to avoid similar recurrences.

I'm still trying to figure out who the "sensitive bully" Luuuc is referring to is.😉

"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/15/20 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
It's weird, right?

This is a good article about investigative avenues to determine the source of this virus. In a nutshell, it's complicated and the answers aren't likely to appear overnight.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/07/who-led-mission-may-investigate-pandemic-s-origin-here-are-key-questions-ask

tfan

PostPosted: 10/15/20 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of the difficulties in finding info about the virus origin is that the Chinese have allegedly destroyed the data on their earliest patients. I read an article saying it is especially important to have data on patient zero and the Chinese say they don’t have it. They also lied their asses off about it. The first case (and 3 of the first 4) they saw had no connection to the wildlife market and it took another month and a half for them to acknowledge it was transmissible between humans. The WHO tweeted on January 14th:

Quote:
Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV) identified in #Wuhan, #China🇨🇳.

But how did they think the non wildlife market patients got it in December?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/18/20 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. Just wow. Cases in the US are spiking again and we're talking about how this started? There are going to be organisms released into the environment from the melting ice pack so new viruses and bacteria are going to be a way of life. Almost every country in the world did a better job of reducing harm to their population than the US has done.

The failure of this President to respond to a medical crisis due to A. Not believing scientists and B. Determination to punish blue states.

The people are speaking to the pollsters and will speak in the polls. The giant swing in intentions of elders to switch from Rep to Dem is 99% due to his inability to deal with COVID. The other 1% is because they know he's trying to take away Social Security and Medicare.

And please don't come back with "he blocked Chinese from entering the country." The strain that wiped out the east coast came from Europe. And the Americans that were allowed to return from China spread infection on the west coast. The blockade on Chinese was the weakest response to the pandemic imaginable and the results have proven that to be true.

Right now we're seeing story after story of attendees at the motorcycle party who have infected their relatives who've died. Why was this allowed to happen? No other country would have allowed it to occur. But we have "freedom" here. Freedom to kill other people.

The country that is second worst in responding to the virus is Brazil, who have a President who is a cheeto clone. Science denier. Defendant of "freedom."

~rAf
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/19/20 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Wow. Just wow. Cases in the US are spiking again and we're talking about how this started? There are going to be organisms released into the environment from the melting ice pack so new viruses and bacteria are going to be a way of life. Almost every country in the world did a better job of reducing harm to their population than the US has done.

The failure of this President to respond to a medical crisis due to A. Not believing scientists and B. Determination to punish blue states.

The people are speaking to the pollsters and will speak in the polls. The giant swing in intentions of elders to switch from Rep to Dem is 99% due to his inability to deal with COVID. The other 1% is because they know he's trying to take away Social Security and Medicare.

And please don't come back with "he blocked Chinese from entering the country." The strain that wiped out the east coast came from Europe. And the Americans that were allowed to return from China spread infection on the west coast. The blockade on Chinese was the weakest response to the pandemic imaginable and the results have proven that to be true.

Right now we're seeing story after story of attendees at the motorcycle party who have infected their relatives who've died. Why was this allowed to happen? No other country would have allowed it to occur. But we have "freedom" here. Freedom to kill other people.

The country that is second worst in responding to the virus is Brazil, who have a President who is a cheeto clone. Science denier. Defendant of "freedom."

A general question to our constitutional experts. How does our federal govt have the power to stop motorcycle rallies in SD and limit wedding attendees in ME? Or are those functions limited to the states? Does the process depend on a (rational) POTUS strong-arming governors to get on board with a national pandemic plan?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/22/20 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, I just had to get tested (I'm negative). I don't know if anyone else here has been tested, but let me tell you that SUCKED!!! I don't know how these people (athletes, politicians, etc) get tested all the time. It was very unpleasant.

I don't want to have to do that again!!!

"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82
Page 82 of 82

Jump to: