RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coronavirus Pandemic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/30/21 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My grandmother lives in an assisted living facility where they had no cases until this week. She couldn't get yet vaccinated because her facility was considered an apartment building rather than a nursing home. She has been isolated except for brief and distanced family visits since March. My fear all year is that she will spend the last year of her life without getting to be with her family, without getting any hugs.

And she tested positive today.

Fuck this fucking virus.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/31/21 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
My grandmother lives in an assisted living facility where they had no cases until this week. She couldn't get yet vaccinated because her facility was considered an apartment building rather than a nursing home. She has been isolated except for brief and distanced family visits since March. My fear all year is that she will spend the last year of her life without getting to be with her family, without getting any hugs.

And she tested positive today.

Fuck this fucking virus.

Sorry to hear that. Best wishes to her for a quick and complete recovery.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/11/21 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mathematician says that all of the COVID particles would fit in a soda can.

https://www.wane.com/news/mathematician-all-the-covid-virus-in-the-world-could-fit-in-a-soda-can/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/11/21 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Mathematician says that all of the COVID particles would fit in a soda can.

https://www.wane.com/news/mathematician-all-the-covid-virus-in-the-world-could-fit-in-a-soda-can/

I wonder what that would look like. You’d have to make it a 12 oz clear glass beaker though.

PostPosted: 03/01/21 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

7-day-average of USA cases has stopped declining for the last week or two. But the most recent day is lower than that plateau.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Evb6nrwVIAMfk4G?format=png&name=small

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/02/21 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That plateau has a number of experts concerned that the spread of more infectious variants is beginning to outpace the vaccination rate, setting us up for another spike.

As of yesterday, the US had 50M people who had received their first injections and 25M who had received both injections.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/03/21 1:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One scary thing I read about a variant, in addition to more easily spread it also has a higher re-infection rate.

It is amazing that the virus was allowed to spread freely around the world (after China finally admitted that it was contagious between humans) and now we are allowing the variants to also spread freely. Well, I think there are a few countries like China that would not allow someone to fly in (not sure how land travel is handled) without putting them in forced isolation for a few weeks.

The one thing that will help make up for our seeming inability to comprehend that the virus travels via humans traveling and that the idea of humans traveling freely in a global pandemic needs to be stopped, is that the vaccine manufacturers can supposedly tweak the vaccines quickly for the new variants and it won't have to go through the full approval process.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/08/21 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And on the Good-But-Puzzling news front?
Quote:
‘An epidemiological whodunit’

PostPosted: 03/09/21 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Potential COVID-19 Variant Surge Looms Over US

Quote:
Another coronavirus surge may be on the way in the U.S. as daily COVID-19 cases continue to plateau around 60,000, states begin to lift restrictions, and people embark on spring break trips this week, according to CNN.

Outbreaks will likely stem from the B.1.1.7 variant, which was first identified in the U.K., and gain momentum during the next 6-14 weeks.

"Four weeks ago, the B.1.1.7 variant made up about 1% to 4% of the virus that we were seeing in communities across the country. Today it's up to 30% to 40%," Michael Osterholm, PhD, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, told NBC's Meet the Press on Sunday..."What we've seen in Europe, when we hit that 50% mark, you see cases surge," he said.

...Vaccination numbers aren't yet high enough to stop the predicted surge

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/947045?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=369619HT&impID=3238159&faf=1

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/11/21 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Today is the one year anniversary of the WHO declaring the novel coronavirus a pandemic. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 03/11/21 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford doctor:
Quote:
What we did not anticipate is that the public would not believe us

Quote:
It is worth reflecting on the lessons we learned in the past 12 months, and ensure we put them into action before the next pandemic arrives. In particular, we need to trust science again and fill the gaps in our national public health policies.

Quote:
While we held the hands of those dying alone in their hospital rooms, misinformation campaigns were being mounted against wearing masks, even arguing it was dangerous from carbon dioxide buildup. While we were overwhelmed by the sheer volume of sick people and paralyzed with fear that we could bring the virus home to our families, large parties and weddings became superspreader events.

Quote:
It is vitally important that politics stays out of public health, especially during emergencies, and that we let scientists just be scientists.

Quote:
We also need to be vocal about fighting fake information and conspiracy theories.

Quote:
Moving forward, now is the time to create a national infrastructure for pandemic responses, ensure coherent data-driven messaging, and investigate how the failures of the previous year occurred.

Quote:
This nation often has a short memory, but we cannot forget what we learned only months ago. We need to trust science and medical experts, aggressively fight misinformation, and have strong national leadership in public health emergencies.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2021/03/11/covid-one-year-later-pandemic-column/6938623002/

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 03/11/21 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Today is the one year anniversary of the WHO declaring the novel coronavirus a pandemic. Crying or Very sad

Also one year ago today, the Archdiocese of Seattle (the entirety of western Washington) temporarily suspended public masses due to the pandemic, the first Archdiocese in the country to do so. Our archbishop cited "the best science out there" that showed that gatherings should be suspended to try to limit the spread of the coronavirus.

From the NY Times today 3/11/2021: Seattle’s Virus Success Shows What Could Have Been

I'm grateful for the University of Washington Medical Center which partners with the Seattle-King County Public Health and that our local political leaders have listened to those scientists, but I don't think we deserve a pat on the back or anything like that. This is still devastating.

I cried when I reached this part of the article:

Quote:
One year later, the Seattle area has the lowest death rate of the 20 largest metropolitan regions in the country. If the rest of the United States had kept pace with Seattle, the nation could have avoided more than 300,000 coronavirus deaths.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/11/21 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

Also one year ago today, the Archdiocese of Seattle (the entirety of western Washington) temporarily suspended public masses due to the pandemic, the first Archdiocese in the country to do so. Our archbishop cited "the best science out there" that showed that gatherings should be suspended to try to limit the spread of the coronavirus.

From the NY Times today 3/11/2021: Seattle’s Virus Success Shows What Could Have Been

I'm grateful for the University of Washington Medical Center which partners with the Seattle-King County Public Health and that our local political leaders have listened to those scientists, but I don't think we deserve a pat on the back or anything like that. This is still devastating.

I cried when I reached this part of the article:

Quote:
One year later, the Seattle area has the lowest death rate of the 20 largest metropolitan regions in the country. If the rest of the United States had kept pace with Seattle, the nation could have avoided more than 300,000 coronavirus deaths.

When I think back to seeing the numbers that were coming out of Italy - 600, 700, 900 dead - and thinking "How can that be? Those numbers have to be wrong. How can there be so many people dying?" Thinking that it would just devastate a region to have to deal with that much death. Thinking, where do you bury that many bodies, day after day?

And then I think of what happened in NYC. Shocked Fucking mind blowing.

I don't know if any of you watch the show on NBC "New Amsterdam." It's set in a NYC hospital. They just began season 3 last week. The opening was various scenes of what it was like during the worst of the pandemic there. Then they showed a shot of a fork lift truck loading a body into a semi-trailer. That reminder...heartbreaking.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/12/21 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Stanford doctor:

I am in the same county as the Stanford doctor. The county health department called a press conference on 1/31/2021 to announce their first case. They said they had been following what was happening in China closely (where two temporary hospitals were being built in two weeks to handle the massive amount of cases in the outbreak city that had overwhelmed the existing hospitals and people were being locked in their apartment buildings) and holding daily meetings about it. But they didn't follow any "science" to stop it from spreading, unless having meetings was the science. Not only was anyone allowed into or out of the county and everyone could do anything with no restrictions for over a month and a half after China locked down, no one was met at the airport when returning from China and forced into mandatory quarantine. They found out about the first case when the person got tested in their second visit to the doctor and only because they had been to Wuhan that month (that was the testing criteria at that point do to a huge shortage).

The doctor should have said "we in the medical profession need to take pandemics seriously and try and be prepared to call for action immediately when the next one hits".

Quote:
We also need to be vocal about fighting fake information and conspiracy theories.

Yes, the WHO did go with fake information. The Stanford doctor should have been very critical of the WHO for buying China's story for a month and a half that although their first case was unrelated to the wet market and about a third of the first month's cases were as well, it was only spread from animal to human. The virus didn't spread from a locked down Wuhan, China to every city and town in America because non-professionals spread rumors and didn't follow the science. China showed that the way to go was strict lockdowns and travel bans. And the "scientists" ignored that data.

Quote:
misinformation campaigns were being mounted against wearing masks

The statement lacks "by Fauci and company". The "scientists" couldn't even figure out that the way to save N95/surgical masks for medical personnel was to ban their sale to non-medical personnel. Instead they decided that telling people masks didn't work was a better way to go.

Not to mention the "scientists", in what must have been wishful thinking, started off emphasizing hand washing and cleaning, instead of staying away from people. This was after Trump hold told Bob Woodward that it was bad since "it spreads through the air".

Quote:
This nation often has a short memory, but we cannot forget what we learned only months ago. We need to trust science and medical experts, aggressively fight misinformation, and have strong national leadership in public health emergencies.

It hurt that many people were against masks and closings, but blaming it all on the regular folks and not mentioning the failings of the "scientists" is a big cop-out.

Last edited by tfan on 03/12/21 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 03/12/21 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The USA has been above the EU this year in daily confirmed cases per 100,000 people, but in late February we went below them. We're still trending down (from 76.2 on Jan 8 - Europe peaked at 34.2 on Jan 11) and they are now rising. But we are both still close - high twenties versus high teens per 100,000 per day.

Europe Confronts a Covid-19 Rebound as Vaccine Hopes Recede

Quote:
Slow vaccinations, outpaced by virus variants, and indecision by EU governments are deepening the continent’s gloom

In Germany, which is gearing up for national elections in September, there is little political will to reimpose tougher restrictions, even though infections have begun increasing again since early February. Scientists say the U.K. variant is behind the rise there, too.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/15/21 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And now this!!!!!! Parosmia.
Quote:
Parosmia is a condition that distorts a person’s sense of smell. The condition can cause one to lose the intensity of his or her smell. But more frequently, it can cause one to experience an overpowering rancid scent. It can happen either around smells that are normally pleasant or around nothing at all.

https://www.wane.com/community/health/coronavirus/parosmia-is-the-rancid-smelling-aftermath-of-covid-19-that-has-many-concerned/

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/15/21 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
And now this!!!!!! Parosmia.
Quote:
Parosmia is a condition that distorts a person’s sense of smell. The condition can cause one to lose the intensity of his or her smell. But more frequently, it can cause one to experience an overpowering rancid scent. It can happen either around smells that are normally pleasant or around nothing at all.

https://www.wane.com/community/health/coronavirus/parosmia-is-the-rancid-smelling-aftermath-of-covid-19-that-has-many-concerned/

Parosmia (distorted smell), anosmia (lack of smell), and phantosmia (smelling things that aren't there), are all documented symptoms in long-haul COVID. They're thought to be due to damage to the olfactory nerves and may be permanent. I'm afraid we're going to be overwhelmed when the full consequences of long term disabilities are tallied.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/17/21 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how long the coronavirus lasts on fine leather.

PostPosted: 03/17/21 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

I researched this in regard to cleaning and disinfecting leather and could find no definitive answers. My best take was that the virus could remain viable for up to a week, and there is no effective disinfectant that leather manufacturers will state is safe to use on their products. OTOH, I’ve accidentally squirted hand sanitizer on the leather seats in my Jeep at least 50 times, and they look fine.

DivaORcat16

PostPosted: 03/17/21 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This has been a sticking point for me about surfaces and the virus. Cashiers using rubber gloves and touching everyone's food or products. Never changing the gloves. Same goes with wiping carts down, or door handles. Using the same towel over and over. Or Costco, they wait until you've brought the cart to the door then ask if you want them to wipe the handle down. Ummm, NO, I've already been touching it.

I will add that I looked up Coronavirus and surfaces: How Long it Lives. I found on WebMD site
Paper
Examples: mail, newspaper
The length of time varies. Some strains of coronavirus live for only a few minutes on paper, while others live for up to 5 days.

Yet it says,
Cardboard
Examples: shipping boxes
24 hours

Cardboard is basically thicker mail. But you all stay home and shop online and you're fine. 24 hours, really? Keep the narrative

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/18/21 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

I researched this in regard to cleaning and disinfecting leather and could find no definitive answers. My best take was that the virus could remain viable for up to a week, and there is no effective disinfectant that leather manufacturers will state is safe to use on their products. OTOH, I’ve accidentally squirted hand sanitizer on the leather seats in my Jeep at least 50 times, and they look fine.

Thank you. Not good news, but thank you anyway. Wink

PostPosted: 03/18/21 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DivaORcat16 wrote:
This has been a sticking point for me about surfaces and the virus. Cashiers using rubber gloves and touching everyone's food or products. Never changing the gloves. Same goes with wiping carts down, or door handles. Using the same towel over and over. Or Costco, they wait until you've brought the cart to the door then ask if you want them to wipe the handle down. Ummm, NO, I've already been touching it.

I will add that I looked up Coronavirus and surfaces: How Long it Lives. I found on WebMD site
Paper
Examples: mail, newspaper
The length of time varies. Some strains of coronavirus live for only a few minutes on paper, while others live for up to 5 days.

Yet it says,
Cardboard
Examples: shipping boxes
24 hours

Cardboard is basically thicker mail. But you all stay home and shop online and you're fine. 24 hours, really? Keep the narrative

It’s been incredibly contradictory. And, of course, we’ve been told that presence of the virus on a surface does not translate into representing an actual likely source of infection. Also that exposures to such small amounts of virus might actually work to build some immunity.

Forgive me, but if I make it through the next two weeks until I have whatever level of immunity the J&J jab gives me, I’m going to purge my mind of all this shit for an indeterminate period of time.

PostPosted: 03/18/21 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Here is a rundown to how long coronaviruses can live on surfaces under laboratory conditions, according to studies conducted by the New England Journal of Medicine and the medical journal The Lancet.

• Aluminum (foil, window frames, ladders, etc.): 2-8 hours
• Paper (mail, tissues, toilet paper, magazines, newspapers, etc.): 3 hours
Copper (coins, jewelry, wires, etc.): 4 hours
• Cardboard (shipping boxes, food packaging, etc.): 24 hours
• Cloth (bags, bedding, blankets, carpet, hair bands, etc.): 2 days
• Wood (furniture, tabletops, etc.): 4 days"
• Plastic (light switches, credit cards, food packaging, ATM buttons, etc.): 3-7 days
• Metal (utensils, keys, pots and pans, door handles, etc.): 5 days
• Glass (glasses, stemware, windows, mirrors, etc.): 5 days
• Paper money: 4 days
• Face masks (exterior): 7 days"

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(20)30003-3/fulltext

There are too many stories now of people who live alone, hadn't been out of the house or had visitors in forever, had someone deliver their groceries to their front steps, and got COVID. I am paranoid about bringing in those Amazon boxes and my mail (2 carriers here had COVID), so it all sits on a table in my garage for 5 days.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/18/21 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I want to see a study on what happens to the virus inside a fridge. If you don't put your yogurt container in a pot of dishwashing detergent, how long does it take the virus to die? Early on, before they had done any SARS-CoV-2 studies, it was said that other coronavirus(es) lived a lot longer in refrigerator temperatures. And I think they go even longer in the freezer.

And it would be nice to hear of the virus gets killed if you put a Pizza Hut takeout pizza in the oven for 5 minutes at 400 F.

I would have a lot easier time dealing with this pandemic if I had a house or townhouse with a garage. No shoes, outer clothes, mail or packages would be inside without a quarantine. And I would transfer fridge stuff to safe containers out there. Also don't like having common doors , package locker, and elevator buttons to touch, and stairwells, hallways and elevators to run into people.

But then they have said that getting the virus from touching things is low risk and even say now that 3 feet could be sufficient safe distance??

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/19/21 1:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I want to see a study on what happens to the virus inside a fridge. If you don't put your yogurt container in a pot of dishwashing detergent, how long does it take the virus to die? Early on, before they had done any SARS-CoV-2 studies, it was said that other coronavirus(es) lived a lot longer in refrigerator temperatures. And I think they go even longer in the freezer.

And it would be nice to hear of the virus gets killed if you put a Pizza Hut takeout pizza in the oven for 5 minutes at 400 F.

I would have a lot easier time dealing with this pandemic if I had a house or townhouse with a garage. No shoes, outer clothes, mail or packages would be inside without a quarantine. And I would transfer fridge stuff to safe containers out there. Also don't like having common doors , package locker, and elevator buttons to touch, and stairwells, hallways and elevators to run into people.

But then they have said that getting the virus from touching things is low risk and even say now that 3 feet could be sufficient safe distance??

Viruses are stored in a fridge or freezer in a lab. They're just little blobs of nucleic acids, proteins, and fat. Where do you keep a steak?

Hot water and soap break down the outer fat layer and render the virus non-infectious.

Getting the virus from contaminated surfaces is low risk compared to airborne transmission but it's not zero.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 87 of 100

Jump to: