RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coronavirus Pandemic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambista

PostPosted: 04/06/20 4:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

um, yeah!

PostPosted: 04/06/20 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

U.N. details “horrifying global surge” in domestic abuse amid lockdowns

The United Nations has expressed alarm at a “horrifying global surge in domestic violence” linked to lockdowns imposed in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

António Guterres, the secretary general of the United Nations, appealed to nations across the world to put the prevention of domestic violence at the center of their national response plans.

“For many women and girls, the threat looms largest where they should be safest: in their own homes,” he said in a video message, noting that necessary lockdowns and quarantines can “trap women with abusive partners.”

PostPosted: 04/06/20 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:

The United Nations has expressed alarm at a “horrifying global surge in domestic violence” linked to lockdowns imposed in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

António Guterres, the secretary general of the United Nations, appealed to nations across the world to put the prevention of domestic violence at the center of their national response plans.

“For many women and girls, the threat looms largest where they should be safest: in their own homes,” he said in a video message, noting that necessary lockdowns and quarantines can “trap women with abusive partners.”

This was something I've been worried about during this long self-isolation period. Not every family will get through this easily and the longer it goes on the harder it will be for certain families. What about couples that were on the verge of separation or divorce? Has this forced them to stay together? I'd guess and say the majority of people in these situations don't have an alternative place to go to right now.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
sambista

PostPosted: 04/06/20 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
sambista wrote:

This was something I've been worried about during this long self-isolation period. Not every family will get through this easily and the longer it goes on the harder it will be for certain families. What about couples that were on the verge of separation or divorce? Has this forced them to stay together? I'd guess and say the majority of people in these situations don't have an alternative place to go to right now.

the upside of this scourge is that it has brought family and significant others closer, a chance to rediscover the people close to you, for good or bad, what's truly important, etc., and i'd like to think there'll be as much or more good to come out of it than bad. but the abuse potential worried me, too.

the couple who live above me have two toddlers and an infant. running, shouting, screaming, throwing things on the bare floor constantly - and the kids do that, too. endless crying and wailing . . . i dare not think what might also be happening to children with unstable parents. lessons in what's important can't escape anyone; had it not been for the scourge, i'd have been up there, banging on the door, insisting they do something about the noise. seems rather petty, under the circumstances.

PostPosted: 04/06/20 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:

the couple who live above me have two toddlers and an infant. running, shouting, screaming, throwing things on the bare floor constantly - and the kids do that, too. endless crying and wailing . . . i dare not think what might also be happening to children with unstable parents. lessons in what's important can't escape anyone; had it not been for the scourge, i'd have been up there, banging on the door, insisting they do something about the noise. seems rather petty, under the circumstances.

Not petty at all. That noise can very hard on someone who suffers from migraines and other physical ailments.

Respect for your neighbors shouldn’t go out the door just because of this pandemic.

PostPosted: 04/06/20 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
sambista wrote:

Not petty at all. That noise can very hard on someone who suffers from migraines and other physical ailments.

Respect for your neighbors shouldn’t go out the door just because of this pandemic.

i know what you mean. but i can endure it while we're all holed up against our wills. they got it worse than i do, that's for sure! i'd be calling the police and telling them to save the kids - from me! even people with kids weren't meant to be with them 24-7. i don't think . . . i mean, what're you gonna do with two toddlers and an infant?! that's what they do.

PostPosted: 04/06/20 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has Anyone Found Trump’s Soul? Anyone?

Do you remember President George W. Bush’s remarks at Ground Zero in Manhattan after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks? I can still hear him speaking of national grief and national pride. This was before all the awful judgment calls and fatal mistakes, and it doesn’t excuse them. But it mattered, because it reassured us that our country’s leader was navigating some of the same emotional currents that we were.

Do you remember President Barack Obama’s news conference after the school shooting in Newtown, Conn., that left 28 people, including 20 children, dead? I do. Freshest in my memory is how he fought back tears. He was hurting. He cared. And while we couldn’t bank on new laws to prevent the next massacre, we could at least hold on to that.

One more question: Do you remember the moment when President Trump’s bearing and words made clear that he grasped not only the magnitude of this rapidly metastasizing pandemic but also our terror in the face of it?

PostPosted: 04/06/20 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
sambista wrote:

i know what you mean. but i can endure it while we're all holed up against our wills. they got it worse than i do, that's for sure! i'd be calling the police and telling them to save the kids - from me! even people with kids weren't meant to be with them 24-7. i don't think . . . i mean, what're you gonna do with two toddlers and an infant?! that's what they do.

I'd anonymously send them a giant box of condoms.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/06/20 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish these columnists wouldn’t bring up W. Unless they do it like Maureen Dowd did on Saturday.

“A few years ago, when some photos by Times photographers adorning our office walls were swapped out for others, I found one headed for the dumpster.

It captured the scene when Andy Card came over to whisper to George W. Bush, as he read “The Pet Goat” to schoolchildren in Sarasota, that a second plane had crashed into the World Trade Center.

It was such a pivotal moment in this country’s history, it seemed too important to toss. So I hung it in my office.

But then three days later, I had to get rid of it. The look in Bush’s eyes was so disturbing, I couldn’t bear to see it anymore.

He looked frightened, like a horrible bill had come due and he was utterly unprepared to pay it. He looked like what he was: a man who had been winging it for the first half of his life, playing and swaggering around while he relied on his daddy and daddy’s friends to prop him up.

W. was shaken to the core, and that left him vulnerable to being influenced by the older advisers around him with their own crazy agendas. America is still paying for the dreadful decisions that came after that moment. The same blend of arrogance and incompetence informed the Bush administration’s handling of Katrina — the earlier lash of nature that exposed the lethal fault line between the haves and have-nots. W. retreated to clinical states’ rights arguments as a beloved city drowned.“

PostPosted: 04/06/20 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:

This quote from the article:
Quote:
In Trump’s predecessors, for all their imperfections, I could sense the beat of a heart and see the glimmer of a soul. In him I can’t, and that fills me with a sorrow and a rage that I quite frankly don’t know what to do with.

....reiterates no real news: As a narcissistic megalomaniac, he is NOT CAPABLE of such things. He really isn't. We've seen this from his early days. His mocking of a disabled journalist, his misogynist behaviors....those were just the early warning signs.

And as he continues to dig in, throwing roses at himself and his "accomplishments", we realize he isn't capable of empathy for anything beyond himself. And scores of people warned us of this.

Maybe Fauci can convince him to walk through a Covid 19 ward for direct observation....you know....to bolster spirits and tell them what a great job he's been doing, in case they've missed it. And since he eschews masks, maybe they could offer him the same PPE some of the providers utilized, like a trash bag and a handkerchief.

PostPosted: 04/06/20 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
sambista wrote:

This quote from the article:
Quote:
In Trump’s predecessors, for all their imperfections, I could sense the beat of a heart and see the glimmer of a soul. In him I can’t, and that fills me with a sorrow and a rage that I quite frankly don’t know what to do with.

....reiterates no real news: As a narcissistic megalomaniac, he is NOT CAPABLE of such things. He really isn't. We've seen this from his early days. His mocking of a disabled journalist, his misogynist behaviors....those were just the early warning signs.

You forgot to mention the overt racism.

He is in it for the rich, white man. He could not care less about anyone who doesn't fall into that category.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/06/20 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm watching NH Gov Chris Sununu's news conference on the COVID crisis. He's held regular ones several times a week for the last month. He's well-informed, understands the implications of the disease, is very proactive, is addressing every consideration, and is able to explain things clearly to the public. He is very impressive. This is the guy we need in the White House.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/06/20 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I'm watching NH Gov Chris Sununu's news conference on the COVID crisis. He's held regular ones several times a week for the last month. He's well-informed, understands the implications of the disease, is very proactive, is addressing every consideration, and is able to explain things clearly to the public. He is very impressive. This is the guy we need in the White House.

Every governor, other than Florida’s and Georgia’s, seems very impressive compared to Trump. I’m impressed with Minnesota’s governor as well.

Sununu is a republican. Don’t want to go back to that anytime soon.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 04/06/20 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Every governor, other than Florida’s and Georgia’s, seems very impressive compared to Trump. I’m impressed with Minnesota’s governor as well.

Sununu is a republican. Don’t want to go back to that anytime soon.

I agree regarding FL and GA. Don't know about the rest. They basically are doing the same thing Trump is doing. They waited until most of people in their states were already under a SIP before doing one themselves. In the case of Georgia, the fool re-opened the beaches.

Same thin with Trump sports, businesses and most states now have now shutdown and he still hasn't called for a nationwide one. He is so afraid that someone in SD, or OK will get mad and not vote for him, so he's waiting to the locals to take the lead. These guys are followers - not leaders in any sense of the word.

sambista

PostPosted: 04/06/20 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Maybe Fauci can convince him to walk through a Covid 19 ward for direct observation....you know....to bolster spirits and tell them what a great job he's been doing, in case they've missed it. And since he eschews masks, maybe they could offer him the same PPE some of the providers utilized, like a trash bag and a handkerchief.

oh, how many times have i thought it?!

boris johnson is now in intensive care.

and bolsonaro makes the triad.

may all three be visited upon by whatever they deserve.

PostPosted: 04/06/20 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is a San Francisco company that had developed antibodies to fight SARS. Because this virus was related they have adapted them to fight this virus. The army is going to start testing it and if all goes well it could be in usage in September. They would be effective in fighting COVID-19 for 8 to 10 weeks after given a shot and could be given to people before they get it to help them not get it and also to help patients who have it. The leader of the effort, Jacob Glanville, said that 2 other companies are trying to manufacture antibodies but are behind his effort because they hadn’t worked on SARS.

Quote:
Glanville, CEO of Distributed Bio, says the next step is for the military to confirm his findings and test the antibodies on live coronavirus, then accelerated human trials this summer. If all goes according to plan, he says, a possible treatment could be ready by September.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/06/20 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
There is a San Francisco company that had developed antibodies to fight SARS. Because this virus was related they have adapted them to fight this virus. The army is going to start testing it and if all goes well it could be in usage in September. They would be effective in fighting COVID-19 for 8 to 10 weeks after given a shot and could be given to people before they get it to help them not get it and also to help patients who have it. The leader of the effort, Jacob Glanville, said that 2 other companies are trying to manufacture antibodies but are behind his effort because they hadn’t worked on SARS.

Quote:
Glanville, CEO of Distributed Bio, says the next step is for the military to confirm his findings and test the antibodies on live coronavirus, then accelerated human trials this summer. If all goes according to plan, he says, a possible treatment could be ready by September.

So is his company going to be able to produce enough for the whole world? Or is he going to be kind enough to disseminate his company's knowledge to other manufacturers?

tfan

PostPosted: 04/06/20 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
tfan wrote:

Quote:

So is his company going to be able to produce enough for the whole world? Or is he going to be kind enough to disseminate his company's knowledge to other manufacturers?

I saw a long interview he did with a San Diego station I will try and link from my computer.

https://youtu.be/AV-nWT2VLuI

Can’t remember what he said about production. Their website is saying governments should fund it, but also has a crowdfunding link. If it works they might not be allowed to keep production to themselves. One thing
I remember from the interview is that because they are antibodies they should be very safe, even if ineffective, as the body will just ignore them.

https://www.distributedbio.com/covid19

Last edited by tfan on 04/07/20 2:14 am; edited 4 times in total
taropatch

PostPosted: 04/06/20 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:

Do you remember President George W. Bush’s remarks at Ground Zero in Manhattan after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks? I can still hear him speaking of national grief and national pride. This was before all the awful judgment calls and fatal mistakes, and it doesn’t excuse them. But it mattered, because it reassured us that our country’s leader was navigating some of the same emotional currents that we were.

Do you remember President Barack Obama’s news conference after the school shooting in Newtown, Conn., that left 28 people, including 20 children, dead? I do. Freshest in my memory is how he fought back tears. He was hurting. He cared. And while we couldn’t bank on new laws to prevent the next massacre, we could at least hold on to that.

One more question: Do you remember the moment when President Trump’s bearing and words made clear that he grasped not only the magnitude of this rapidly metastasizing pandemic but also our terror in the face of it?

I've tried to and failed. Can anyone think of one redeeming quality this turd has?

Putting him through a gauntlet of Christmas Eve terrors like Ebeneezer Scrooge went through, this turd still wouldn't change. Even the Grinch was able to turn the corner after being rebuffed by Whoville's spirit of Christmas. Unlike the turd, the Grinch had a heart even if it was "two sizes too small" at the start.

Mysticwiz

PostPosted: 04/07/20 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Black America must wake up to this viral threat

Quote:
In fact, as the virus smashes into black communities, it is actually one epidemic jumping on top of several other epidemics. The sad fact is too many African Americans are not healthy or adequately insured on a good day.

In polite company, we speak delicately about "disproportionate health outcomes." But this antiseptic term does not capture the truth. Black people are sicker than white people across the board.
And this virus may be especially fatal to people who have out-of-control hypertension -- a disease that is nearly at epidemic levels in the black community. While focusing on the elderly population, the media underreported the risk to people with hypertension or high-blood pressure.

Quote:
And yet, when I warned my family of the coming pandemic, my highly educated cousin told me, with great confidence: "No, we got the antibodies for that!"
My cousin's reaction reminded me of the early days of the HIV epidemic, when people thought of AIDS as a "white, gay" disease. The first visible victims were gay white men. But the illness soon devastated black communities and African nations. Today, AIDS is largely associated with poverty and race.
Covid-19 is likely to follow the same trajectory. The perception that the disease impacts older, more affluent and whiter populations will soon give way to a heartbreaking realization: the virus is crushing poorer and blacker populations, and it's affecting young people, too.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/06/opinions/african-americans-covid-19-risk-jones/index.html?fbclid=IwAR2Ay4Q56HvIgtH2DVzLvMd3tW51lo_NSWt28V0TMAbG0l5oY6xfdNzoa2o

The myth that young people are safe or people of color are at less risk is pervasive. Mayor Lightfoot tonight was speaking of the 72% of Chicago deaths are black, while only being 30% of the city's population.They need to be blasting that far and wide.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/07/20 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:

You forgot to mention the overt racism.

What are some examples of his overt racism?

Quote:
He is in it for the rich, white man. He could not care less about anyone who doesn't fall into that category.

I think he is in it for himself. He is against trade deficits and has been for decades which hurt workers and help the rich, and which the rich (including rich white men) are universally in favor of. But it probably is a competition thing and not a “help workers” thing. However, it is notable that the rest of Congress didn’t care and doesn’t care about the export of those jobs (Bernie did talk about it in 2016 and maybe he still does but I have not heard it this cycle) that hurt workers and helped CEOs and investors.

sambista

PostPosted: 04/07/20 2:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
tfan wrote:

Quote:

god help us, because tripe would co-opt it under his defense production act cherry picking, and it would never leave the united states (without a high pricetag).

PostPosted: 04/07/20 2:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BuzP-uLctYE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 04/07/20 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

12 NYPD members have died from suspected cases of coronavirus and nearly 20% of its uniformed workforce is out sick

Quote:
The NYPD said it is cracking down on social and religious gatherings.
Over the weekend, police used sirens and played social distancing messages over their PA system in Borough Park to break up a large gathering for a funeral in the Hasidic Jewish community that did not follow social distancing guidelines, according to CNN affiliate WPIX.

In a 24-hour period, officers visited 2,419 supermarkets, 6,959 bars and restaurants, 1,238 public places and 3,288 personal care facilities.
Nobody was arrested or issued summonses in relation to the visits, the NYPD said.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/us/nypd-coronavirus-out-sick/index.html

PostPosted: 04/07/20 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2TX4fW1dD4E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 52 of 100

Jump to: