RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Kim Mulkey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 02/17/20 11:14 pm    ::: Kim Mulkey Reply Reply with quote

Baylor plays at Texas Tech tomorrow night. It is Kim's first shot at getting her 600th win. As I understand it, she will be the fastest coach to get there in WBB history. Ironically, Leon would have been if he'd coached one more year.

It is pretty impressive given that she took over a team that had never been to an NCAA tourney (though they did have some talent when she came in) and wasn't exactly starting when the competition was weak. She has been bad about under-scheduling, but she's also played in a pretty good conference most of her time.

I don't really see her catching Geno or Pat--that would require 10-12 more years of the same level of success, which would put her close to 70. I think she's too intense to go that long, but I could be wrong about that. She remains a bit of an enigma to me even having watched her since she was a player.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 02/17/20 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even though I think she is completely obnoxious court side and - with the Emily Niemann situation and working for Baylor University - probably a giant homophobe, I cannot deny that she is a fantastic basketball coach. And that is the nicest thing you will ever hear me say about her.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/18/20 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Even though I think she is completely obnoxious court side and - with the Emily Niemann situation and working for Baylor University - probably a giant homophobe, I cannot deny that she is a fantastic basketball coach. And that is the nicest thing you will ever hear me say about her.

Well stated.

~rAf
PRballer

PostPosted: 02/18/20 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

Well stated.

Yes, I also "struggle" (meaning not too badly) with Kim and her place in the game but you can't deny her success and that her best teams have made the women's game better overall. She's also a historian of our game and has shown great deference to Pat and the others who paved the way before her. She will pretty soon be the dean of women's basketball coaches as she's a bit younger than Geno and Muffet.

In the end, I imagine she will get 1,000 wins a few more titles before it's all said and done.

And then Texas for sure better make moves!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/18/20 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

Yep. Couldn't stand her as a player and dislike her courtside behavior immensely (not to mention her fashion statements...Kim, please see Dolly Parton if you're going to dress trashy, she knows how to do it right!) but otherwise agree with you 100%.

PostPosted: 02/18/20 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

And I, of course, must take exception with this. Yes, she certainly has had her 'obnoxious' moments in the past (who here hasn't? Razz) Okay, hers were on national television. Still: THAT has changed. Significantly. She has become a much more gracious persona, being typically generous with praise for her opponents, and crediting them fairly.

The Nieman situation was a looong time ago. Probably most of us HERE hold different views on LGBTQ matters than we did that many years ago. And I can't for the life of me understand how/why one might hold her position at Baylor against her.....unless of course, you wanna hold Muff at NOTRE DAME (etc.) to the same standard. Muff works for, not only a much LARGER homophobic chain of 'churches', but for one that's done far more things in the way of sex scandals.

I sincerely doubt that Kim is homophobic. That simply could not fly in her line of work. She may have made mistakes in trying to appease all sides in the past, but seems to really treasure her coach/player relationships in a way that just don't work when the coach is genuinely homophobic.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/19/20 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

And I, of course, must take exception with this. Yes, she certainly has had her 'obnoxious' moments in the past (who here hasn't? Razz) Okay, hers were on national television. Still: THAT has changed. Significantly. She has become a much more gracious persona, being typically generous with praise for her opponents, and crediting them fairly.

The Nieman situation was a looong time ago. Probably most of us HERE hold different views on LGBTQ matters than we did that many years ago. And I can't for the life of me understand how/why one might hold her position at Baylor against her.....unless of course, you wanna hold Muff at NOTRE DAME (etc.) to the same standard. Muff works for, not only a much LARGER homophobic chain of 'churches', but for one that's done far more things in the way of sex scandals.

I sincerely doubt that Kim is homophobic. That simply could not fly in her line of work. She may have made mistakes in trying to appease all sides in the past, but seems to really treasure her coach/player relationships in a way that just don't work when the coach is genuinely homophobic.

Exc point re: McGraw/ND.

Kim seems to have mellowed over the years, and I think getting her 3rd NC last year helped continue that trend. She's now in rarified air in that regard.

PostPosted: 02/19/20 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Howee wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

Exc point re: McGraw/ND.

Kim seems to have mellowed over the years, and I think getting her 3rd NC last year helped continue that trend. She's now in rarified air in that regard.

I used to dislike her, but now I find her totally entertaining. I mean, she throws her body everywhere on that sideline and it cracks me up. Sometimes she is over the top, but she sure is passionate. Yes, I'm a total UCONN homer, but her graciousness about our program goes a looooong way with me. I don't believe for one second that she is a homophobe.

She is a fantastic basketball coach and a great recruiter. Some people have one but not the other(Aston/Bruno), she has both.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/19/20 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't condemn someone for poor wardrobe choices, particularly when she's apologized for that failing publicly and said she'd asked some friends for help.

Phil

PostPosted: 02/19/20 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats on, not just 600 wins, but being the fastest to get there.

Very Impressive.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/19/20 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Outstanding historical achievement to reach 600 D1 wins faster than anyone in men's or women's basketball history, including Adolph Rupp and Geno Auriemma.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/19/20 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's a finalist for induction into the Naismith Hall of Fame this year.
https://www.nba.com/hall-of-fame-class-2020-finalists

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 02/19/20 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
She's a finalist for induction into the Naismith Hall of Fame this year.
https://www.nba.com/hall-of-fame-class-2020-finalists

With three titles now she should be a lock. That's even more important than the fastest to 600 thing. There are only like five other coaches in the women's game who've done that, and only Pat & Geno have also done it with three completely different sets of players.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/19/20 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

Baylor has accepted the Baylor University rules but she has also had no problem with recruiting and coaching lesbian players. She has asked that they keep their preference private, but she is a far cry from Rene Portland. It is also important to remember that before she was a great coach she was a great player.

I am an unabashed fan of Kim. It doesn't mean that I agree with everything she has done but the passion and excellence she has brought to the game over the past 30 years is truly admirable.

PRballer

PostPosted: 02/20/20 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Random thought: Is it fair to say that Muffet is slightly more progressive/modernly feminist than Kim? I feel like Muffet is a tad more friendly with the gays and will speak out for gender equality.

Just curious, not trying to start a sh*t storm here.

These are the college game's two greatest, ACTIVE female head coaches not named Tara.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/21/20 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Is it fair to say that Muffet is slightly more progressive/modernly feminist than Kim?

That's a subjective call, really....how one determines that is probably more a function of whose *style* one identifies more with, rather than any objective measure. They each have different styles, and my educated guess is that Muff might be quicker to be outspoken on such things, but I'd also bet Kim might fight just as hard for such fairness, if it came down to it.

And those 2 have only been compared here because of their affiliation with a religious institution. Tara and Pat had no such constraints....are/were they any more/less progressive-modernly feminist? Each of them is different, and has made their own profound impact on the game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: