RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Oregon @ UConn, Mon. Feb. 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win?
Oregon
89%
 89%  [ 25 ]
UConn
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 28

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/03/20 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon is one of the best college teams I've seen. With the exception of Dangerfield over Moore, and even that is close, the Ducks are better at every position than UConn. Wow, 44-14 in the paint, a slaughter.

Oregon is probably better than the Atlanta Dream. Too bad the younger Sabally got injured; they could have been a super team with her. Better than the NY Liberty.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/03/20 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, that was a pretty bad butt-kicking. I’d offer y’all some sympathy, but you haven’t shown the rest of us much.

PostPosted: 02/03/20 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
myrtle wrote:
THe problem with playing against a player who has the flu is that you get it too. It'll be interesting to see if Oregon can get back home healthy. They need to be healthy for the Arizona schools.

Williams should be past contagious by now, so I doubt that’s an issue. If someone else on the team is just coming down with it, that could be a problem, but I don’t think Williams is a Typhoid Mary.

Walker totally did not look like herself, which would be a concern...for both teams if she's getting sick. I've just been around enough teams where someone gets sick, then the whole team gets sick, then the opponents get sick, and on it goes around the country. Hard to play bball with a facemask Very Happy

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/03/20 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Oregon is one of the best college teams I've seen. With the exception of Dangerfield over Moore, and even that is close, the Ducks are better at every position than UConn. Wow, 44-14 in the paint, a slaughter.

Oregon is probably better than the Atlanta Dream. Too bad the younger Sabally got injured; they could have been a super team with her. Better than the NY Liberty.

...and yet they have lost two games.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 02/03/20 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well. That was....fun! Cool

Some extraordinary skills on display. Special shout out to Minyon....she was playing For Real, and making her presence known in perhaps their biggest spotlight of the season thus far.

Just a quick mention of Satou; when I met her in Syracuse, I was utterly impressed with her delightful sweetness--as I chatted with her, and fumbled to get a selfie with her, she just kindly took my camera and did it for me, like she might her own grandpa; all smiles and sweetness. And she's so uber-willowy. She has such a tremendously athletic body. Seeing the way she so smoothly handled the ball in dishes off to teammates tonight was something I hadn't noticed before....she will be an amazing pro! Cool

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/03/20 11:24 pm    ::: Re: Oregon @ UConn, Mon. Feb. 3 Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
and world-renowned pundits have claimed UConn has its weakest team since 2005 or even 1993.

*dumbest* I've ever seen, dating back to '92-93; worst since 2005.

With the Memphis Tigers on deck, the no-consecutive-loss-streak watch has begun.

'21-22 can't get here fast enough. Laughing

PostPosted: 02/03/20 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Btw, the best move by Geno all night was calling the "no mas" TO and sub 3 players, so that Graves could pull his big 3, and kill any chance of a triple double. Cool

PostPosted: 02/03/20 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Some extraordinary skills on display. Special shout out to Minyon....she was playing For Real, and making her presence known in perhaps their biggest spotlight of the season thus far.

Just a quick mention of Satou; ....she will be an amazing pro! Cool

Some of us think she might be a better pro than SI.

PostPosted: 02/04/20 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=28630376&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe></embed>

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=28630376

PostPosted: 02/04/20 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Walker totally did not look like herself, which would be a concern...for both teams if she's getting sick.

Except Walker also had bad games against Baylor and Tennessee, two of UConn's four highest profile games to date.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/04/20 11:48 am    ::: Re: Oregon @ UConn, Mon. Feb. 3 Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
7 pm ET on ESPN2.

UConn has not lost a home game in Gampel Pavilion since (I think) January 2013. However, Oregon has a powerhouse team and world-renowned pundits have claimed UConn has its weakest team since 2005 or even 1993.

What world-renowned pundits? Or was that a low-flying sarcasm plane.

A team with four players ranked in the top five of their respective HS classes, including two #1 overall players is not weak. But is it weaker compared to other UConn teams? Yes.

I would say UConn is at its most vulnerable since the 2005-2008 time period.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/04/20 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Howee wrote:

she still has some rough spots, but she is as pro-ready as a college player can be. I think she is a safe #2 pick if she comes out this year.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 02/04/20 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Howee wrote:

she still has some rough spots, but she is as pro-ready as a college player can be. I think she is a safe #2 pick if she comes out this year.

And I also think she may not be her Very Best for 3-5 years in. She might not be an instant impact player like Wilson or Delle Donne, but she has a tremendous ceiling, imo.

PostPosted: 02/04/20 7:38 pm    ::: Re: Oregon @ UConn, Mon. Feb. 3 Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

This was known last April. The return of the Dark Days... Very Happy

UConn should compete seriously again by the '21-22 season.

PostPosted: 02/05/20 11:05 am    ::: Re: Oregon @ UConn, Mon. Feb. 3 Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Was it? Perhaps to you. Not to many UConn fans. And certainly not at the level of multiple home (Gampel and Hartford) losses by 18 points.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 02/05/20 2:44 pm    ::: Re: Oregon @ UConn, Mon. Feb. 3 Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Was it? Perhaps to you. Not to many UConn fans. And certainly not at the level of multiple home (Gampel and Hartford) losses by 18 points.

Most UConn fans denied the period known as the Dark Ages, 2005-2007, when they were living in it. It's the nature of that tribal beast.

My expectations going into this season were that the FF streak would likely end, and that both the no-consecutive-loss streak, as well as the no-AAC-loss streak, were in jeopardy. I noted that the consecutive loss streak may end with the game at USF on 2/16, which follows the S. Carolina game on the 10th. Silly me, I didn't think that it may end this Friday vs Memphis (and not because I didn't expect a massacre vs Oregon). Laughing

There is a minimal chance at the FF this year. IF UConn goes to Fort Wayne and gets Louisville and Or State, for example, they might surprise me.

UConn has declined in each of the last 4 seasons and my hope is that this year we've bottomed out, even though our best player graduates.

Next year should be better, but I'm hoping the '21-22 team is REALLY good.

PostPosted: 02/05/20 6:14 pm    ::: Re: Oregon @ UConn, Mon. Feb. 3 Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Most UConn fans denied the period known as the Dark Ages, 2005-2007, when they were living in it. It's the nature of that tribal beast.

My expectations going into this season were that the FF streak would likely end, and that both the no-consecutive-loss streak, as well as the no-AAC-loss streak, were in jeopardy. I noted that the consecutive loss streak may end with the game at USF on 2/16, which follows the S. Carolina game on the 10th. Silly me, I didn't think that it may end this Friday vs Memphis (and not because I didn't expect a massacre vs Oregon). Laughing

There is a minimal chance at the FF this year. IF UConn goes to Fort Wayne and gets Louisville and Or State, for example, they might surprise me.

UConn has declined in each of the last 4 seasons and my hope is that this year we've bottomed out, even though our best player graduates.

By UConn standards, the Huskies are not very good given the high achievement level of the past and the competition is much better. However, they are still fairly good team and it will be interesting to see what Geno can do with them before the tournament. I am a UConn fan, but parity is great for the game.

PostPosted: 02/05/20 10:25 pm    ::: Re: Oregon @ UConn, Mon. Feb. 3 Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

That's about how I see it, but I'm not as optimistic as much of the tribe that the front court size and power game will be significantly better next season.

I expect Ododa to be about the same, unless she spends every day from April to November learning ambidextrous back-to-the-basket moves such as hook shots, jump hooks, drop steps, up-and-unders, and reverse up-and-unders from someone like Brooke Smith.

Otherwise, the front court additions will be the undersized, 5-11 forward Mir McLean, ranked 21st by HG, who (from videos) shows little in the way of outside shooting and ball handling; the relatively unknown and HG 26th ranked 6-2 Canadian, Aaliyah Edwards; and the unranked 6-5 Piath Gabriel, from a tiny school in Massachusetts, whom virtually everyone expects to be a long-term bench project.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/06/20 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I expect UCONN to return as a title contender in possibly 2022. Yeah they have the #1 player coming in next year , but that’s pretty much every year. Losing Dangerfield will be felt for sure. Hopefully she’s the only player they lose ala Azura Stevens.

PostPosted: 02/06/20 11:20 am    ::: Re: Oregon @ UConn, Mon. Feb. 3 Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Is Memphis really that good? The one time I saw them, I wasn't particularly impressed.

PostPosted: 02/06/20 12:45 pm    ::: Re: Oregon @ UConn, Mon. Feb. 3 Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Is Memphis really that good? The one time I saw them, I wasn't particularly impressed.

Isn't that the point? Wink

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: