RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 Commits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 05/30/20 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since it is now official from the actual prospect, and not just some word of some dude running an online recruiting site.....

Saniya Rivers has officially committed to South Carolina.....

ripleydc

PostPosted: 05/31/20 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Emma Chardon, a 6’2” Power Forward from Switzerland to Maryland.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/05/20 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Madison (WI) Menorial 5'7 G Mia Morel commits to Cal Baptist
https://madison.com/wsj/sports/high-school/basketball/girls/madison-memorial-junior-guard-mia-morel-makes-college-decision-for-womens-basketball/article_2988135f-6ab0-5630-8d0e-ed59e89e930d.html

PostPosted: 06/07/20 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Teonni Key, 5-star wing and younger sister of Tenn's Tamari Key, commits to UNC. Banghart has 5 new recruits coming in this year, and Key and Destiny Adams committed for 2021.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/08/20 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OLIVIA POLLERD (AUS) TO DUKE!
Olivia Pollerd, a 6-3 forward from Australia, has committed to Duke.

As a member of the Gems (Australia’s junior national team) at the FIBA 2017 U16 Women’s Asian Championship, Pollerd played in five of six games and averaged 3.0 points and 3.4 rebounds in 13.1 minutes per game. Australia won the gold medal at the tournament.
https://www.fiba.basketball/oceania/u17women/2019/team/Australia

As a member of the Gems at the FIBA 2019 U17 Oceania Championship, Pollerd averaged 13.2 points and 5.2 rebounds, shooting 76.8 percent from two-point range and 36.8 percent from three (61.7 percent overall). Australia went 5-0 in the tournament, routing New Zealand in the final.
https://www.fiba.basketball/oceania/u17women/2019/team/Australia

Already an accomplished player at State Championship level with the Southern Peninsula Sharks, in July 2018, the Deakin Melbourne Boomers added Pollerd as a Development Player for the 2018-2019 WNBL season.
https://wnbl.basketball/melbourne/news/boomers-add-young-guard-olivia-pollerd/

For 2019 and 2020, she was one of the athletes to receive a scholarship and play for Centre of Excellence (CoE). The CoE is a program that brings together the best young players from around Australia to live and train together in a high-performance environment with the assistance of elite coaches.
https://australia.basketball/blog/2019/12/20/basketball-australias-centre-of-excellence-welcomes-five-new-scholarship-holders/

Olivia Pollerd recently toasted an Australian Junior Championships gold medal at the Australian Institute of Sport with Victoria, winning the U20 Women’s tournament.

Following her Australian Junior Championships success, Pollerd was invited to the Basketball Without Borders Global Camp, held February 14-16, 2020 at the 2020 NBA All-Star Weekend in Chicago, Illinois. The camp featured 15 current prospects from NBA Academies, the league’s network of elite basketball training centers around the world for top male and female prospects from outside the U.S., and 12 prospects who participated in The NBA Academies Women’s Program, a series of basketball development camps for top female prospects from outside the United States at the league’s academies.
http://basketballvictoria.com.au/giddey-melbourne-and-pollerd-invited-to-basketball-without-borders-camp/
https://pickandroll.com.au/giddey-wigness-leads-aussies-in-basketball-without-borders-2020/

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 06/25/20 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN 5-star PG and overall #13 Raven Johnson committed today to South Carolina.

Johnson rounds out the 4-prospect class, which includes #3 G Saniya Rivers, #6 F Sania Feagin, and #26 G Bree Hall.

Johnson comes to USC out of Westlake High School in Atlanta, GA. Westlake became the eighth school in Georgia state history to win three consecutive girls basketball state championships in the highest classification when it defeated previously unbeaten Collins Hill 72-53 in early March.

The common thread in the Lions’ successful run has been Raven Johnson, the only player to start in all three finals victories.

“She’s a very good student. She’s one of our honor-roll students, and we’re very proud of that,” Westlake coach Hilda Hankerson said. “But leave no doubt, Raven has the mindset of a champion. When she came in as a freshman, she looked at me and she said, ‘I’m going to win the state for those seniors.’ We had six seniors on that team, and she was the only freshman who started.”

Against Collins Hill this year, in a rematch of the 2019 final that Westlake won 60-53, Johnson scored 23 points and had six rebounds, four assists, a blocked shot and a steal. She also shot 8-for-12 from the field, 3-for-3 on 3-pointers and 4-5 from the free-throw line while playing all 32 minutes.

“Raven is a real team player,” Hankerson said. “She’s gonna do whatever we need her to do. If she needs to feed the other guards more, she will do that. If she needs to score more, she’ll do that. When Collins Hill came out and they played that real tight 2-3 zone in the beginning, they laid in there real tight, and she’s a real good 3-point shooter. She dropped a couple of 3s and made them open it up a little bit.”

Johnson led the Lions this season in points scored with 478 (15 per game) and had team-best averages of 4.3 steals and 3.9 assists. She also contributed 5.2 rebounds and 0.6 blocks per game. She is ranked No. 13 nationally among juniors by ESPN and chose South Carolina from scholarship offers from Mississippi State, Baylor, Georgia, UCLA, Oregon, Miami, North Carolina and Rutgers, to a name a few, according to Hankerson.

“I think Raven Johnson is the best player in the state of Georgia, and so do many other people I have meetings with,” said Cherokee coach Matt Cates, whose team lost to Westlake 62-33 in the semifinals. “She is the best player I saw all year, in or out of state. She is the type of player who does not get rattled when pressured, and she keeps her team under control. But when it’s time for her to do extra, she does. She can dominate any game at any time but chooses to be a better teammate and do what’s best for her team.”

Westlake finished the season 30-2 overall (24-0 against Georgia teams) and ranked No. 14 nationally by MaxPreps. Westlake is 90-4 during the past three seasons, with all four losses coming against out-of-state competition.

This year’s team, however, was probably the most dominant of the three champions. The Lions won all 12 of their games in region play by at least 22 points and won their five playoff games by an average of 32 points. The victory against Collins Hill in the final was their only playoff game closer than 29 points.

“It definitely was the strongest team as far as our ability to put up points,” Hankerson said. “This team could probably score faster. The first team had more depth, so each team had its own little flavor. But this one could put up points faster than any other team.”

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 07/01/20 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee Lady Vol's
Brooklynn Miles
POINT GUARD, CLASS: 2021
96 SCOUTS GRADE
Richmond, KY
HOMETOWN Franklin County HIGH SCHOOL
5-6 HEIGHT
46 OVERALL RANK
9 POSITION RANK

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 07/03/20 6:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
Tennessee Lady Vol's
Brooklynn Miles
POINT GUARD, CLASS: 2021
96 SCOUTS GRADE
Richmond, KY
HOMETOWN Franklin County HIGH SCHOOL
5-6 HEIGHT
46 OVERALL RANK
9 POSITION RANK

That's a damn strong class for Coach Harper....

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/07/20 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford commit Eleni Bosgana from Greece. She's 6-2 and listed as a wing. So far we also have #4 Brooke Demetre and #52 Jzaniya Harriel. Still have two scholies open for 2021.

- Amanda Gorman
greatgator

PostPosted: 07/20/20 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/Laurenw_924/status/1285269671927783427

greatgator

PostPosted: 07/20/20 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lauren Walker decommits from Duke

greatgator

PostPosted: 07/20/20 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marisa Davis Jones decommits from Duke

https://twitter.com/MadJ_11_/status/1285263225064308737

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/20/20 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And their silly-assed problem is.....? Oh, I get it. They actually LIKED Coach P. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/20/20 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
And their silly-assed problem is.....? Oh, I get it. They actually LIKED Coach P. Rolling Eyes

They liked her because she's a great recruiter -- as did all the others who liked her when they signed and then transferred.

And it could be that Kara Lawson might have had some input on the decommits, though that's pure speculation.

PostPosted: 07/20/20 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

They liked her because she's a great recruiter -- as did all the others who liked her when they signed and then transferred.

And it could be that Kara Lawson might have had some input on the decommits, though that's pure speculation.

While many Duke fans have been down on P because she's not GG, and while some of P's players haven't liked her, she still stands in stark contrast to Kara Lawson in terms of college coaching achievements. As a head coach, P has 646 wins, which is 32nd in NCAA DI history; and he has a winning percentage of .717, which is better than four WBB coaches in the Naismith Hall of Fame (Hatchell, Stringer, Gunter, Yow) and four other coaches in the WBB Hall of Fame (Blair, Ryan, Grentz, Bracker).

Lawson has no college coaching record whatsoever. Players and parents who don't know who Lawson is, or who only know her as a talking head announcer, perhaps don't have as much recruitee confidence in her as they did in P.
Howee

PostPosted: 07/20/20 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Tough to say. And....were these 2 kids even ranked? I couldn't find either one in Hoopgurlz top 100 for '21. One might think that, if NOT highly ranked/sought after, they'd want to enjoy the privilege of a Duke education, but....*fitting* with a coach is of paramount importance.

(ya think Kara might be going after Azzi?? Shocked )

PostPosted: 07/20/20 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
(ya think Kara might be going after Azzi?? Shocked )

Who isn't?

ripleydc

PostPosted: 07/21/20 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Lawson has no college coaching record whatsoever. Players and parents who don't know who Lawson is, or who only know her as a talking head announcer, perhaps don't have as much recruitee confidence in her as they did in P.

I suppose anything's possible, but I think when a couple of not-top-100 recruitees decide to reopen their commitments, there's a more likely scenario. I think more likely they realized (and perhaps have been told upfront) that their chances of earning significant playing time on a Kara-rebuilt Duke team would be a long shot at best.

Their decision to look elsewhere makes total sense. Nobody who loves the game would want to spend 4 years on the bench if they could be a significant contributor elsewhere. Making it about Coach P is a reasonable and face-saving explanation. I doubt either of these young ladies will end up starting for another P5 program. But they may have very fulfilling college playing careers nevertheless.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/21/20 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
I suppose anything's possible, but I think when a couple of not-top-100 recruitees decide to reopen their commitments, there's a more likely scenario. I think more likely they realized (and perhaps have been told upfront) that their chances of earning significant playing time on a Kara-rebuilt Duke team would be a long shot at best.

Their decision to look elsewhere makes total sense. Nobody who loves the game would want to spend 4 years on the bench if they could be a significant contributor elsewhere. Making it about Coach P is a reasonable and face-saving explanation. I doubt either of these young ladies will end up starting for another P5 program. But they may have very fulfilling college playing careers nevertheless.

What does Duke have coming back? I feel like the opportunity to make an impact and play would be this year. While I'm sure Lawson is familiar with the players at Duke to a certain extent, I doubt she knows all about them in terms of character, attitude, work ethic, etc. Just like I doubt she knows all that about the 2 incoming players, which would lead me to think that there is no way she would have already told those 2 kids that they wouldn't be able to get much playing time.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/21/20 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

What does Duke have coming back? I feel like the opportunity to make an impact and play would be this year. While I'm sure Lawson is familiar with the players at Duke to a certain extent, I doubt she knows all about them in terms of character, attitude, work ethic, etc. Just like I doubt she knows all that about the 2 incoming players, which would lead me to think that there is no way she would have already told those 2 kids that they wouldn't be able to get much playing time.

Good point, but....weren't these 2 coming in NEXT year? (2021) According to espn, Duke has one 5* pg recruit coming in this year, and one 3* wing committed to next year. There are a couple dozen uncommitted recruits in that 2021 class....maybe Kara can snag some of those?

PostPosted: 07/21/20 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems just as likely that a few recruits elsewhere will decommit and end up at Duke, if they're academically qualified.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/21/20 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

Good point, but....weren't these 2 coming in NEXT year? (2021) According to espn, Duke has one 5* pg recruit coming in this year, and one 3* wing committed to next year. There are a couple dozen uncommitted recruits in that 2021 class....maybe Kara can snag some of those?

Doh! You are right. In my haste to push 2020 out the door, I kinda forgot where we were. In all likelihood, she probably has had an honest conversation with them both that she was going to be looking far and wide for the best players to help her and Duke be successful. That may or may not include them and that any verbal commitment would not be honored at this point.

Thank you for the correction. Man, this whole covid thing is making me lose my damn mind.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/21/20 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
It seems just as likely that a few recruits elsewhere will decommit and end up at Duke, if they're academically qualified.

Absolutely! Wouldn't surprise me if we saw a couple of top kids suddenly look at Duke.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/21/20 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brooklyn Rewers just decommitted from Duke today.

Quote:
I’d like to announce that I have decommitted from @DukeWBB. I would like to thank @CoachPDuke and the rest of the coaching staff that recruited me and gave me an amazing opportunity. Due to recent changes in coaching staff I decided it was best for me to reopen my recruitment

As for this explanation . . .

ripleydc wrote:
Their decision to look elsewhere makes total sense. Nobody who loves the game would want to spend 4 years on the bench if they could be a significant contributor elsewhere.

. . . Most every team in the country, including dynasties such as UConn, have permanent low bench players every year who could get a lot more playing time at less competitive schools. Yet, the vast majority sign up, enroll, stay and spectate. Why? Lots of possible reasons: friends, family, team bonding, academics, prestige, climate, inertia, finances, geography, or sundry other reasons for staying at a particular school -- reasons that are more important to a holistic person than the incremental recreational pleasure of playing a few more minutes in 30 games in mostly empty gyms over four months.

How does anyone, including Lawson and themselves, know that these two players would be permanent bench warmers under Lawson? I suspect Lawson has personally seen these players in games exactly the same number of times as most of us here: zero. Why would they think they would have gotten big minutes under P and few under Lawson? Because that's the changed story that they heard from the lips of P and Lawson over the past 10 days?

I find this hard to believe, and am not sure that Lawson is even allowed under recruiting rules to contact "verballed" future recruits during this extended NCAA dead period or, even if she could, that she'd make such profoundly premature decisions. As far as I can tell, Duke now has only one commit from the class of 2021, a mystery player from Australia, and the signing period is only four months away. Worse for Duke, there are only eight uncommitted players left in the 2021 ESPN-HoopGurlz top 50. Below that level, player talent is usually a blurry crapshoot every year, so why would Lawson shoot herself twice or thrice in the foot? She's got lots of scholarships available, and her Aussie recruit may not even be able to get into the country if the virus hysteria keeps up.

I find it more likely that all three of these de-committed Duke recruits were interested in coming to Duke significantly because they had built up a positive recruiting relationship with P and/or her staff, but they have little personal relationship interest in, or perhaps even knowledge about, Lawson and her unknown staff.
OutdoorsKid

PostPosted: 07/21/20 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:
Lauren Walker decommits from Duke

https://hoopdreamsathletics.com/athlete/lauren-walker/ 6'2" wing, very smart.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: