RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

22 Tenn @ 1/2 S Car 1pE espn2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/02/20 1:13 pm    ::: 22 Tenn @ 1/2 S Car 1pE espn2 Reply Reply with quote

8-4 Cocks 1st TO

PostPosted: 02/02/20 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

21-9 after 1.

LVs lead in TOs, 6-0.

PostPosted: 02/02/20 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ooops...meant for the game page, of course. Smile

PostPosted: 02/02/20 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee really brings a formidable post presence to every game, and it greatly impacts even strong offensive-minded opponents. They impacted Connecticut, and did so today versus South Carolina.

What the Lady Vols are lacking in, however, are a legitimate point guard, and one with maturity and experience to lead the young team. Losing Zaay Green to injury had to be a major blow, but even with Green able to play, they were going to be pretty thin at the position.

As it is, I do not know how Horston perceives herself - as a legit PG, or a combo G-W that's forced to handle the ball-handling duties. But she has and is struggling mightily against the better talent at leading the team's offense.

I would say that Coach Harper and staff's primary off-season goals are 1) keep Davis on the team, 2) get Green back healthy, 3) perhaps target a transfer PG somewhere....anywhere. Transfer Portal, JUCO. Someone who is a legit no-questions asked POINT GUARD - even if their offense isn't that great - but someone who knows how to protect the ball, and knows how to distribute the ball to intended targets. I see UTjr. is bringing in two G prospects from the 2020 class, but they look to be Guards - not necessarily POINT Guards.

Find that type of legit player for that position, and I feel the Lady Vols will improve substantially, just from that. Work on the offense later on, cutting down on those turnovers will be like taking a player that averages 7 ppg, and making them into averaging 15 ppg, if not more.......

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/03/20 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Tennessee really brings a formidable post presence to every game, and it greatly impacts even strong offensive-minded opponents. They impacted Connecticut, and did so today versus South Carolina.

What the Lady Vols are lacking in, however, are a legitimate point guard, and one with maturity and experience to lead the young team. Losing Zaay Green to injury had to be a major blow, but even with Green able to play, they were going to be pretty thin at the position.

As it is, I do not know how Horston perceives herself - as a legit PG, or a combo G-W that's forced to handle the ball-handling duties. But she has and is struggling mightily against the better talent at leading the team's offense.

I would say that Coach Harper and staff's primary off-season goals are 1) keep Davis on the team, 2) get Green back healthy, 3) perhaps target a transfer PG somewhere....anywhere. Transfer Portal, JUCO. Someone who is a legit no-questions asked POINT GUARD - even if their offense isn't that great - but someone who knows how to protect the ball, and knows how to distribute the ball to intended targets. I see UTjr. is bringing in two G prospects from the 2020 class, but they look to be Guards - not necessarily POINT Guards.

Find that type of legit player for that position, and I feel the Lady Vols will improve substantially, just from that. Work on the offense later on, cutting down on those turnovers will be like taking a player that averages 7 ppg, and making them into averaging 15 ppg, if not more.......

Uhhhh......Jordan Horston is a FRESHMAN. Give her a damn break. She was thrust into that role and didn't expect to play it. She's doing the best she can. Jazmine Massengill is a better substitute PG but again, she isn't really one. It's kind of like the days when April McDivitt and Kara Lawson were sharing duties. If Zaay hadn't gone down, Massengill would most likely have spelled her at times. And I don't see Davis leaving. She graduates next year and seems pretty happy with Coach Harper and is doing great as a team leader. You really shouldn't be surprised that they went down this badly to YOUR conference-leading Gamecocks. And please remember that everything cannot be fixed in one year and that Kellie is doing one hell of a lot better than some other first year coaches in the SEC. She had a mess coming in and a self-proclaimed "star" who stalked off without even giving her a chance (probably better off without her) then lost what was arguably one of the better PGs to injury. I think they're doing as well as can be expected. Neither Rome nor Tennessee were built in a day, or a season.

PostPosted: 02/03/20 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:

Uhhhh......Jordan Horston is a FRESHMAN. Give her a damn break. She was thrust into that role and didn't expect to play it. She's doing the best she can. Jazmine Massengill is a better substitute PG but again, she isn't really one. It's kind of like the days when April McDivitt and Kara Lawson were sharing duties. If Zaay hadn't gone down, Massengill would most likely have spelled her at times. And I don't see Davis leaving. She graduates next year and seems pretty happy with Coach Harper and is doing great as a team leader. You really shouldn't be surprised that they went down this badly to YOUR conference-leading Gamecocks. And please remember that everything cannot be fixed in one year and that Kellie is doing one hell of a lot better than some other first year coaches in the SEC. She had a mess coming in and a self-proclaimed "star" who stalked off without even giving her a chance (probably better off without her) then lost what was arguably one of the better PGs to injury. I think they're doing as well as can be expected. Neither Rome nor Tennessee were built in a day, or a season. Neither was South Carolina. I remember when THEY were spectacularly awful.

PostPosted: 02/03/20 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to disagree with most of the above. Massengill is a true PG, sees the floor well, runs the offense, takes care of the ball, and creates her own shot for a clutch basket when needed. The offense usually goes to hell when Horston takes over PG duties and tries some single-handed heroics.

I think Tenn's bigger deficit is in the post. Key is a tremendous shot blocker but contributes little scoring against better teams. KK is completely ineffective. McCoy is still playing catch-up after spending the first half of the season out with an assortment of injuries.

However, the team still looks considerably better than they did under CHW, and with a lucky seed they could make it to the S16. We all knew this would be a rebooting season. They’re only losing Brown and Harris to graduation, and they have some talented freshmen coming in along with Zaay Green (who is not a PG anyway) hopefully ready to play, and a summer of work for Key, McCoy, and Saunders should help a lot.

Last edited by FrozenLVFan on 02/03/20 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 02/03/20 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Uhhhh......Jordan Horston is a FRESHMAN. Give her a damn break. She was thrust into that role and didn't expect to play it. She's doing the best she can. Jazmine Massengill is a better substitute PG but again, she isn't really one. It's kind of like the days when April McDivitt and Kara Lawson were sharing duties. If Zaay hadn't gone down, Massengill would most likely have spelled her at times. And I don't see Davis leaving. She graduates next year and seems pretty happy with Coach Harper and is doing great as a team leader. You really shouldn't be surprised that they went down this badly to YOUR conference-leading Gamecocks. And please remember that everything cannot be fixed in one year and that Kellie is doing one hell of a lot better than some other first year coaches in the SEC. She had a mess coming in and a self-proclaimed "star" who stalked off without even giving her a chance (probably better off without her) then lost what was arguably one of the better PGs to injury. I think they're doing as well as can be expected. Neither Rome nor Tennessee were built in a day, or a season.

LOL, Okay...... Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: