RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2020 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 04/03/20 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Gail Goestenkors got fired after going .614/.488 in five years.

She quit. Lost the passion for coaching.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/03/20 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Gail Goestenkors got fired after going .614/.488 in five years.

She quit. Lost the passion for coaching.

Didn't have the Texas connection needed and didn't get support from the AD or the university, IMNSHO.

PostPosted: 04/03/20 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Smart timing. They are the only major conference opening at this point. And they could do it without a buy-out in a year that buy-outs are going to be expenses that most departments can't afford.

They should have their pick of coaches.

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/03/20 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Smart timing. They are the only major conference opening at this point. And they could do it without a buy-out in a year that buy-outs are going to be expenses that most departments can't afford.

Yep, but WHO. Tough to compare to the men's game, but Shaka Smart is having a hard time at the brand name school. Is Austin a tough sell? Will the new arena help? Are Texas athletics having a hard time lately and is Chris Plonsky the ideal AD? The key is finding someone who wants to work for her.

This is still Kim Mulkey's league.

Some rough/quick ideas - more for discussion, not sure I'm 100% behind any of these.

-Kamie Etheridge - Longhorn royalty, but no - hasn't done anything yet with Washington State, though was successful briefly at Northern Colorado and has a ton of major conference recruiting experience as a top assistant (KState and Vandy)
-Kate Paye - longshot. Probably inline to replace Tara in Palo Alto one day (soon?)
-Cori Close - intriguing, but probably can't pull her away from UCLA
-Sue Semrau - longshot. Why would she leave FSU, but this is the type of coach that might be pulled with more $$
-Nell Fortner - would call her. She's good, she's a Longhorn. Showed she can recruit fast in Atlanta and is a positive/supportive coach. Also, she's just plain good.
-Vic Schaeffer - longshot, probably won't leave Starkville
-Jaime Carey - no head coaching experience but is probably ready for an HC job somewhere.
-Charmin Smith - quite the poach from Cal, but no
-Lindsay Gottlieb - seems happy in the NBA
-Cheryl Reeve - would she make the leap to a brand name like Texas? Or is this another one where Becky Hammon's name will pop up (again).
-Holly Warlick - no, but could be a major D1 assistant
-Jeff Walz - name always pops up, but not likely leaving Louisville anytime soon.
-Krista Gerlich - UT-Arlington hasn't been a force, so no
-Adia Barnes - would call her, they could lure her away from Tucson ($$$) but it seems like she's building something great there and her heart is there.
-Reagan Scott - TCU would have been an NCAA tourney team this year, a possibility? Same conference?
-Jalie Mitchell - North Texas hasn't great records, but not terrible - nah
-Cynthia Cooper - back in the state coaching Texas Southern, but no
-Sytia Messer - intriguing, not sure she'd go to a rival, but she is ready for a head coaching gig.
-Toyelle Wilson - longshot. Has Prairie View and Baylor experience in the state, but thought the move to Michigan was a sign she wanted to be back on the east coast?
-Jolette Law - longshot, no.
-Stephanie White - no.

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/03/20 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Northwestern State's Bilderback backs out amid COVID-19 Pandemic

https://nsudemons.com/news/2020/4/3/lady-demon-basketball-bilderback-steps-aside-as-nsu-womens-basketball-coach.aspx

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/03/20 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ryan Cooper, former MBB AC at San Jose State and spent last season as HC for Notre Dame de Namur MBB. He replaces Alle Moreno

https://sjsuspartans.com/news/2020/4/3/womens-basketball-adds-assistant-coach-ryan-cooper-to-staff.aspx

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 04/03/20 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Yep, but WHO. Tough to compare to the men's game, but Shaka Smart is having a hard time at the brand name school. Is Austin a tough sell? Will the new arena help? Are Texas athletics having a hard time lately and is Chris Plonsky the ideal AD? The key is finding someone who wants to work for her.

This is still Kim Mulkey's league.

Some rough/quick ideas - more for discussion, not sure I'm 100% behind any of these.

-Reagan Scott - TCU would have been an NCAA tourney team this year, a possibility? Same conference?
-

I believe she actually goes by Reagan Pebley. She's the one I'd go with. She's done well at TCU (a consistent not much before she arrived). She seems to know how to recruit and her players get better while she's coaching.

I don't think UT will pick her (the tendency to look for sexy picks is strong in Austin) but it's who I think they should pick. Though, in truth, I hope they don't

Howee

PostPosted: 04/03/20 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thefutureisbright wrote:
Karen Aston not renewed at Texas
https://texassports.com/news/2020/4/3/contract-of-texas-womens-basketball-head-coach-to-not-be-extended.aspx

Yep. It was time.

PR, in your long list, I didn't see Coquise Washington. She fell from grace at Penn State, but she DID have her glory days there. She's currently assisting at OK.

PostPosted: 04/03/20 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://nsudemons.com/news/2020/4/3/lady-demon-basketball-bilderback-steps-aside-as-nsu-womens-basketball-coach.aspx

Quote:
"After extensive deliberation and in consultation with her family, Missy has made a decision that because of the rapid nationwide development of COVID-19, a move to Natchitoches and NSU would not be in their best interest," Burke said.

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/04/20 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
thefutureisbright wrote:
https://texassports.com/news/2020/4/3/contract-of-texas-womens-basketball-head-coach-to-not-be-extended.aspx

Yep. It was time.

PR, in your long list, I didn't see Coquise Washington. She fell from grace at Penn State, but she DID have her glory days there. She's currently assisting at OK.

Good call. Coquese will be back in the head spot somewhere soon. I honestly can't see Texas hiring a man for the women's program and it would be awesome if they hire a woman of color.

osubeavers

PostPosted: 04/04/20 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
thefutureisbright wrote:

Yep. It was time.

Mark Campbell?
https://goducks.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/coaches/mark-campbell/3079

PostPosted: 04/05/20 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
Howee wrote:
thefutureisbright wrote:

Yep. It was time.

Mark Campbell?

Campbell has done a lot of the recruiting that has put Oregon on the map, and it is curious that he hasn't gotten a shot at a head job yet.

PostPosted: 04/05/20 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
osubeavers wrote:
Howee wrote:
thefutureisbright wrote:

Yep. It was time.

Mark Campbell?

Campbell has done a lot of the recruiting that has put Oregon on the map, and it is curious that he hasn't gotten a shot at a head job yet.

Maybe, like Mickie DeMoss, he realizes he's better at what he does. Mickie tried being a HC and found out it wasn't her cuppa. She soon returned to ACing which was what she was best at.

PostPosted: 04/05/20 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Maybe, like Mickie DeMoss, he realizes he's better at what he does. Mickie tried being a HC and found out it wasn't her cuppa. She soon returned to ACing which was what she was best at.

I recall a rumor here and elsewhere that MDM left Kentucky under (how should I say this?) a lavender cloud. Wink

~UK~

PostPosted: 04/05/20 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I recall a rumor here and elsewhere that MDM left Kentucky under (how should I say this?) a lavender cloud. Wink

Wink Wink Wink

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/05/20 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Effing stupid and not funny.

PostPosted: 04/05/20 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vic Schaefer is new Longhorn HC

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28997584/texas-hires-mississippi-state-vic-schaefer-new-head-coach

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/05/20 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thefutureisbright wrote:
Vic Schaefer is new Longhorn HC

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28997584/texas-hires-mississippi-state-vic-schaefer-new-head-coach

That was fast!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
BamaEd

PostPosted: 04/05/20 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now, who replaces him in Starkville?

Shades

PostPosted: 04/05/20 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:

Goestenkors?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Hoops9092

PostPosted: 04/05/20 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phenomenal move by Vic.

Texas has all the ingredients for a special women's basketball program.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 04/05/20 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

Goestenkors?

That was my first thought as well. In some ways I can see it, but in other ways, I can't. It's almost too high profile.

Last edited by BamaEd on 04/05/20 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Howee

PostPosted: 04/05/20 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:

GG would represent a fun twist in the grand wbb scheme of things! Laughing

More realistically, I'd love to see a guy like Karl Smesko (FGCU) finally make it to a P5 school. Cool

PostPosted: 04/05/20 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

Goestenkors?

I think GG needs to go to an institution where she can sell athletics and academics, because that's what she was great at when she was at Duke. I just don't see Gail having much success in the deep south.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 04/05/20 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why not Karen Aston? Surprised

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 3 of 22

Jump to: