RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2020 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 07/02/20 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FAMU hires two ACs

Jaye Nayreau who was at Trinity Valley last season as an AC and Jalen Powell, who was working in Player Development in NY at Basketball Results

https://famuathletics.com/news/2020/7/1/pillow-names-nayreau-and-powell-as-assistant-womens-basketball-coaches.aspx

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 07/02/20 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lamar hires Bianca Smith as AC. She was most recently at Loyola (IL)

https://lamarcardinals.com/news/2020/7/2/bianca-smith-joins-lu-womens-basketball-staff.aspx

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/02/20 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Shades"]The part pilight left out is she resigned.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y5hUGrMEXI4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/quote,]

Uncertainty about a contract is a reason to resign?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/02/20 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

There has to be more to this story ...

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/02/20 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

McCallie had trouble recruiting because of the contract uncertainty. Top prospects pick their school largely based on the coach. If you don't know if the coach will be there for more than one year, then that's a huge negative.

PostPosted: 07/02/20 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Joanne P McCallie out at Duke

Hallelu!

ucbart

PostPosted: 07/02/20 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Joanne P McCallie out at Duke

Is Goestenkors coming back? Or watch them pick up Aston.

I would stay as far away from Aston as possible. She is a good recruiter in Texas but a terrible X's and O's coach.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/02/20 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

McCallie had trouble recruiting because of the contract uncertainty. Top prospects pick their school largely based on the coach. If you don't know if the coach will be there for more than one year, then that's a huge negative.

So you quit and give up a big salary?

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/02/20 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
root_thing wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

She wouldn't be the first person to walk away from money. Salary is not something people usually mention in a farewell statement. And yet, McCallie made a point of letting us know she was giving up money. It was part of the message she was sending. The whole speech sounded like it was calculated to create sympathy: everybody at Duke, I love you so I sacrificed for you. Now love me back.

Do you have a theory?

PostPosted: 07/02/20 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
root_thing wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

She wouldn't be the first person to walk away from money. Salary is not something people usually mention in a farewell statement. And yet, McCallie made a point of letting us know she was giving up money. It was part of the message she was sending. The whole speech sounded like it was calculated to create sympathy: everybody at Duke, I love you so I sacrificed for you. Now love me back.

Do you have a theory?

I don't. I assume there is some dirty laundry we don't (and probably won't) know about, but I am pretty cynical.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/02/20 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCallie was told by the administration that she was not getting a contract extension last year (at that time). She was later told that even when her contract runs out, she would not be receiving any extension.

In other words, she was told this would be her last year.

Duke is likely going to be pretty bad this year. She could leave on a somewhat better note (18-12 record, 3rd in the ACC) or suffer through a lame duck year with a losing record.

Also, her husband is now retired, and her younger son is in college.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/02/20 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
root_thing wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
root_thing wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Do you have a theory?

I don't. I assume there is some dirty laundry we don't (and probably won't) know about, but I am pretty cynical.

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
In other words, she was told this would be her last year.

I vote for all of the above: she knew that she was on her way out because of some dirty laundry that we'll never know about and she wanted the sympathy.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
GEF34

PostPosted: 07/03/20 2:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not exactly sure what this means, but it sounds like she is still getting the final year of her contract and giving that money to her staff, so perhaps there is a lot more to this story than just being told she wouldn’t be getting a contract extension.

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1278705318638366721

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/03/20 7:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCallie did say she was forgoing most of her salary and that the balance would somehow be used to benefit her staff. It’s hard to know what that means. Any time the head coach departs, her assistants are left in limbo. Who will be retained, whose contract will be allowed to expire, and who will be fired outright? Is she contributing money to create a severance pool for her staff? Or if one of her assistants is named interim head coach, then more of a burden will fall on that person and the rest of the staff. Does McCallie want to help compensate everyone for taking on greater responsibilities? We also have the COVID-19 pandemic going on. Could this be about budget cuts that stem from a drop in funding for the University? Is McCallie stepping in to fill the gap? I assume she wants Duke to reallocate the funds. For McCallie to first accept her salary and then gift money to her staff would be very tax-inefficient... unless these are bribes to keep people quiet about her alleged dirty laundry. Laughing It all depends on whether you want to take a generous view of her actions or be cynical.

PostPosted: 07/03/20 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I am not familiar with this particular situation, but I felt this would be a place to share this.
My college had a lame duck coach this past season who most likely would have been replaced at the end of the season, but due to Covid and also having an interim AD, this coach was retained.
ALL of the players this coach signed this year were JC transfers. She did not sign one true freshman. What you stated above is most assuredly a large part of the reason. A poor record and no guarantee on longevity probably steered away high school seniors, and the coach probably needed players with experience to come in to the program for immediate help in order to save her job.

RHSibley

PostPosted: 07/03/20 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thefutureisbright wrote:

https://lamarcardinals.com/news/2020/7/2/bianca-smith-joins-lu-womens-basketball-staff.aspx

Thank you, "thefutureisbright" for all of your posts on coaching moves! Much appreciated!

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/03/20 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RHSibley wrote:
thefutureisbright wrote:

Thank you, "thefutureisbright" for all of your posts on coaching moves! Much appreciated!

Yes. Thank you for keeping this up. It is appreciated!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/03/20 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RHSibley wrote:
root_thing wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I am not familiar with this particular situation, but I felt this would be a place to share this.
My college had a lame duck coach this past season who most likely would have been replaced at the end of the season, but due to Covid and also having an interim AD, this coach was retained.
ALL of the players this coach signed this year were JC transfers. She did not sign one true freshman. What you stated above is most assuredly a large part of the reason. A poor record and no guarantee on longevity probably steered away high school seniors, and the coach probably needed players with experience to come in to the program for immediate help in order to save her job.

If the administration doesn't care that the coach is a lame duck, why would the coach?? Other than to garner that sympathy mentioned above or trying to make the administration look bad/worse?

Shades

PostPosted: 07/03/20 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
adamj95

PostPosted: 07/03/20 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She’s right about one thing.... What Coach P did to Duke IS incredible. Laughing

PostPosted: 07/03/20 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JPM is forgoing the majority of her salary for next year? That makes no sense. People on contract don't get future salary if they resign. It's more likely she was being pushed out and negotiated the best face-saving deal she could without litigation.

Also, leaving quasi-voluntarily now, rather than enduring a lousy record season capped by a firing or obvious non-rehiring, is somewhat better for her future prospects as a head coach elsewhere.
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 07/03/20 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
She’s right about one thing.... What Coach P did to Duke IS incredible. Laughing

Lexie Brown is a GOAT because Maryland (though maybe they would've made a big run this year or is it just another case of beating up on overrated Big Ten teams?) and Duke both haven't been serious contenders since she left. Smile

Shades

PostPosted: 07/04/20 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those that really don’t really keep up with women’s basketball, Duke was ranked #3 in the ACC last season. And that was with a motley crew of players since people who feint to be experts in WNBA are saying Gorecki, Duke’s go-to player and life blood of the team last season, isn’t even good enough for an opportunity to play for a WNBA team.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/04/20 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every coach has players who she works well with, and players she doesn't.

McCallie has been successful enough that she obviously works well with some players; but transfers and staff departures suggest that she has a higher percentage of people she doesn't work well with than most.

And yes, Duke is still pretty good, but the inherent advantages at Duke -- the tremendous academic reputation, the administrative support for basketball -- would, one thinks, lead me to believe that "pretty good," in this case, is underachieving.

PostPosted: 07/04/20 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
For those that really don’t really keep up with women’s basketball, Duke was ranked #3 in the ACC last season. And that was with a motley crew of players since people who feint to be experts in WNBA are saying Gorecki, Duke’s go-to player and life blood of the team last season, isn’t even good enough for an opportunity to play for a WNBA team.

It wasn't exactly a banner year for the ACC. Duke went 10-6 in conference, which would normally be ranked around 6th (and their overall record was that of a team that usually would finish around that spot as well), and it wasn't like the teams were doing well beating each other up. There were only 3 in the final top 25. A lot of those games were just who was less bad on that given day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 12 of 22

Jump to: