RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2020 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/11/20 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
pilight wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
PRballer wrote:
ODU is an intriguing job. Legacy program in WBB and McCray doesn't leave the cupboards bare by any stretch.

Here are some ideas.

-Charlotte Smith
-Holly Warlick - I see her as an AC in a bigger conference
-Jolette Law - I would explore this as an option; you didn't do too bad with a SC assistant last time.
-Pokey Chatman (can't see her in college again)
-Gail Goestenkors - don't think another "brand" name opens up this year but that could change. Think she could do well in Norfolk and then step back into a major job?
-Tia Jackson
-Sytia Messer - this would be my pick
-Toyelle Wilson - this would be another call I'd make
-Melanie Balcomb - if she wants the head job again

Talk about your feminist movements. This is why some men can't respect women's sports..bush league!

Confused I don't understand the problem with this list
No men on this list. I guess I have been on the Boneyard enough to notice every perceived or real slight that a UConn fan like SDHoops has whenever a man isn't included or mentioned on coaching hires and lists.

Why would that matter?

PostPosted: 04/12/20 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
pilight wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
PRballer wrote:
ODU is an intriguing job. Legacy program in WBB and McCray doesn't leave the cupboards bare by any stretch.

Here are some ideas.

-Charlotte Smith
-Jolette Law - I would explore this as an option; you didn't do too bad with a SC assistant last time.
-Gail Goestenkors - don't think another "brand" name opens up this year but that could change. Think she could do well in Norfolk and then step back into a major job?
-Tia Jackson

Talk about your feminist movements. This is why some men can't respect women's sports..bush league!

No men on this list. I guess I have been on the Boneyard enough to notice every perceived or real slight that a UConn fan like SDHoops has whenever a man isn't included or mentioned on coaching hires and lists.

Why would that matter?

Presumably because there would be complaints if the list included only men.

PostPosted: 04/12/20 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
pilight wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
pilight wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Here are some ideas.

-Charlotte Smith
-Tia Jackson

Why would that matter?

Presumably because there would be complaints if the list included only men.

Most CBB coaching openings only consider men and only rarely does anyone mention it at all

PostPosted: 04/13/20 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tara VanDerveer mentioned in an interview they were talking with Bobbie Kelsey as one of the names for the Stanford assistant. A former player, she was the assistant from 2007-2011, when the Cardinal when to multiple final fours, before leaving for Wisconsin HC spot.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/13/20 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Larry Tidwell for Kansas basketball steps down. https://kuathletics.com/kansas-womens-basketball-top-assistant-steps-down/

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/13/20 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vernette Skeete is heading from Marquette to Illinois as well! Tianna Kirkland moves into non-coaching role

https://fightingillini.com/news/2020/4/13/womens-basketball-fahey-announces-skeete-hire-new-role-for-kirkland.aspx

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/13/20 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thefutureisbright wrote:
Vernette Skeete is heading from Marquette to Illinois as well! Tianna Kirkland moves into non-coaching role

https://fightingillini.com/news/2020/4/13/womens-basketball-fahey-announces-skeete-hire-new-role-for-kirkland.aspx

Interesting that Scott Merritt and Vernette Skeete remained on Duffy's staff at Marquette after Kieger left and then both are leaving after one season to go to Illinois.

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/13/20 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Here are some ideas.

-Charlotte Smith
-Tia Jackson

Huh? This is why men can't respect women's sports? There is so much that's problematic about your response here.

Fine to crap on my choices, but curious what yours are and why, exactly, you consider this "bush league"? These are all talented coaches, names who have repeatedly come up for job openings, and some have coached their teams to conference championships, national championships and some have COY awards. Bush league? Feminist movement? You know we are talking about women's basketball and the head coaching opening at Old Dominion University, a program with multiple national championships and a rich history of women leading the program. So conjecturing about the next coach is suddenly a "feminist movement"....how does that work?

To be candid, I really don't care about your opinion any more than I care if men can't respect women's sports or not - nor how that has anything to do with my suggested list.

Show me your suggestions.

No candidates? Hello? Thought so.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/14/20 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LAWRENCE, Kan. – Kansas women’s basketball announces that Larry Tidwell will be stepping down as associate head coach this spring due to personal reasons, the program released Monday. With the ongoing global pandemic, the COVID-19 outbreak, Tidwell has decided to relocate back to his hometown of Fort Worth, Texas to be closer to his family. https://kuathletics.com/kansas-womens-basketball-top-assistant-steps-down/

Could be a spot for Texas-ex Karen Aston or her wife Claire Coggins (K-State player 2003-2007; 3 years as KS asst).

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/14/20 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maureen Magarity leaves New Hampshire for Holy Cross Post

https://goholycross.com/news/2020/4/14/holy-cross-names-maureen-magarity-head-womens-basketball-coach.aspx

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/16/20 6:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Former Lady Vol Nicky Anosike is beginning her head coaching career literally at the bottom. She has taken the reins at Anderson County HS in Tennessee, a struggling program that finished the 2019-20 season with a 1-26 record. She had a year as an AC with Holly Warlick's Lady Vols.
https://www.wbir.com/article/sports/former-lady-vol-named-head-coach-of-anderson-county-girls-basketball/51-b399e378-f85f-4eb2-8f3d-6e05cee8d5d1
Incidentally her brother EJ has just grad transferred to the Tennessee men's team.

PostPosted: 04/16/20 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UNLV coaching staff listed here https://unlvrebels.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/16/20 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Former Lady Vol Nicky Anosike is beginning her head coaching career literally at the bottom. She has taken the reins at Anderson County HS in Tennessee, a struggling program that finished the 2019-20 season with a 1-26 record. She had a year as an AC with Holly Warlick's Lady Vols.
https://www.wbir.com/article/sports/former-lady-vol-named-head-coach-of-anderson-county-girls-basketball/51-b399e378-f85f-4eb2-8f3d-6e05cee8d5d1
Incidentally her brother EJ has just grad transferred to the Tennessee men's team.

It's great to see former players come back and coach -- and I wish Nicky and Anderson County the best.

But I have to point out that a lot of times folks who played in college (especially those at Nicky's level) think they will just come in, apply their knowledge, and turn a program around immediately.

The reality is that high school coaches, in general, are much better than generally accepted, and that teaching fundamentals and getting girls to play hard is a much different task than installing a motion offense or full court press. Without fundamentals and effort -- which a 1-26 team most certainly lack -- no system will work. (Oh, and you need to get good athletes to play basketball rather than volleyball or whatever, though in Tennessee that should be less of an issue.)

PostPosted: 04/16/20 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

It's great to see former players come back and coach -- and I wish Nicky and Anderson County the best.

But I have to point out that a lot of times folks who played in college (especially those at Nicky's level) think they will just come in, apply their knowledge, and turn a program around immediately.

The reality is that high school coaches, in general, are much better than generally accepted, and that teaching fundamentals and getting girls to play hard is a much different task than installing a motion offense or full court press. Without fundamentals and effort -- which a 1-26 team most certainly lack -- no system will work. (Oh, and you need to get good athletes to play basketball rather than volleyball or whatever, though in Tennessee that should be less of an issue.)

Nicky was a graduate assistant at Tenn in 2018-19. Prior to that, she was a middle school teacher. I don't believe she has any actual coaching experience. She's a very bright lady and she's worked with kids, so this HS gig may be a great place to start because it sounds like there's no place to go but up.

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/16/20 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atticus Finch reporting on Twitter that ODU is looking at Delisha Milton Jones for the head job. Didn't have her on my quick initial list, but like this idea and I'm not surprised.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/16/20 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
ClayK wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Nicky was a graduate assistant at Tenn in 2018-19. Prior to that, she was a middle school teacher. I don't believe she has any actual coaching experience. She's a very bright lady and she's worked with kids, so this HS gig may be a great place to start because it sounds like there's no place to go but up.

She was an AC on Holly's staff for a year so she does have some coaching experience, but this is her first HC job. When she played she was known as the team's greatest motivator and her nickname was Mom" or "Momma".

PostPosted: 04/16/20 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
ClayK wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

She was an AC on Holly's staff for a year so she does have some coaching experience, but this is her first HC job. When she played she was known as the team's greatest motivator and her nickname was Mom" or "Momma". (Did you read the link? It clearly stated her previous experience.)

PostPosted: 04/16/20 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UNLV hires 3 ACs … Mia Bell stays on stay, Roman Owen joins from North Texas and Nneka Enemkpali joins from UC-Santa Barbara

https://unlvrebels.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/16/20 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas hasn't formally announced any staff but via Twitter … folks are following Vic

https://twitter.com/DomDillingham - Dominique Dillingham - Video
https://twitter.com/Lovato22 - Elena Lovato - AC
Johnnie Harris - AC (Has been retweeting Texas commitments)

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/16/20 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago State Open

https://www.gocsucougars.com/news/2020/4/16/chicago-state-announces-change-in-leadership-of-womens-basketball-program.aspx

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/16/20 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Atticus Finch reporting on Twitter that ODU is looking at Delisha Milton Jones for the head job. Didn't have her on my quick initial list, but like this idea and I'm not surprised.

That would be a really good get for ODU. Head coach at Pepperdine, assistant at Syracuse.

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/17/20 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ODU hires Delisha Milton-Jones, Syracuse AC … was Pepperdine HC in 2018-19

https://odusports.com/news/2020/4/17/delisha-milton-jones-named-old-dominion-womens-basketball-head-coach.aspx

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/17/20 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Winthrop goes with Interim for 2020-21. Moving up AC Semeka Randall Lay, who has HC experience

https://winthropeagles.com/news/2020/4/17/randall-lay-named-interim-head-womens-basketball-coach.aspx

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/17/20 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FIU never posted that they were making a change until putting up new coaching hire. USF's AC Jesyka Burks-Wiley is new HC at FIU.

https://fiusports.com/news/2020/4/17/burks-wiley-named-head-coach-for-fiu-womens-basketball.aspx

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/17/20 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Former Central Arkansas AC Greg Long is new HC at Mississippi College (D2). He spent last year at Arkansas at Monticello

https://www.gochoctaws.com/news/2020/4/17/WBB_LongHire.aspx

Last edited by thefutureisbright on 04/21/20 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 5 of 22

Jump to: