RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#23 TENNESSEEEE @ #3 UCONNNN: 1.23.20
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Will Tonight's Outcome BE?
Huskies Hammer Vols
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
Vols Vaporize Huskies
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Nerve-wrackingly close game, decided in the final seconds by 1 pt or less
33%
 33%  [ 5 ]
Unwatchable Game: cthskzfn and cbiebel go home after Q1.
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 15

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 01/23/20 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty ugly performance by both teams, IMO. Tennessee just out-did CT in that category with their turnovers. They killed opportunities for themselves just too much during the game, and gave extra ones to CT that CT didn't deserve. But past CT teams would have rode those to a 30+ pts victory.

Hopefully USC doesn't have a bad turnover game in our game vs CT - we've only had one 20+ TO game thus far, but have had several around the 18-19 TO level...

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 01/23/20 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Believe it or not, I watched this game at a restaurant bar where I was playing trivia. The game was on the TV and I made sure to watch it.

Much to my chagrin. It was not a great game by any means.

And to see Tennessee score 31 in the first half for a 3 point lead, but then manage just 14 points for the 2nd half was galling.
linkster

PostPosted: 01/23/20 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was at the game. UConn stinks at halfcourt basketball. And when both Williams and Walker can't make a shot it's worse. Thankfully Tenn committed a box of unforced errors in the 1st half and UConn managed to stay close. Tenn's ball handling got worse in the second half.

But the bright light for UConn and the catalyst for UConn was the freshman Griffin. She is lost in UConn's motion offense but tonight she changed the entire energy of UConn. She entered the game in the second period and immediately got a steal (after a scuffle) and scored. The crowd went wild and UConn was able to stay close going into the half.

Geno thankfully let both her and Makurat start the second half and Griffin was all over the court. Steals, offensive rebounds and defensive pressure. The energy level of the entire team shifted into high gear with her in the game. They still sucked shooting but the defensive pressure, for the 1st time this season, looked like prior years. That pressure led to some Vol to's and they had several more without help from UConn. They may be big but they have manos de piedra.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/23/20 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank god we won.

Do Tenn fans, and the rest of WCB, understand that this is the worst CT

team in 20 years?

PostPosted: 01/24/20 7:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Thank god we won.

team in 20 years?

No, only 15 years Laughing

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/24/20 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Thank god we won.

team in 20 years?

Indeed! My midnight math sucks. Wink

PostPosted: 01/24/20 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ugly, UGLY basketball played by both teams. And yes, I do understand this is the worst UConn team in some years. I also know that Tennessee is in the process of rebuilding and Lord knows Kellie can't fix everything that went wrong in the last 8-9 years in one year. Horston is a freshman and will get a lot better, as will Burrell, who is only a sophomore, and Key, who is likewise a freshman. KK just doesn't have very good hands, sorry to say.

I think nerves played a big part in last night's, game on both sides. I might be speculating here, but this game was such a BFD for so many years that both teams couldn't help feeling the excitement, maybe overly so. The Huskies managed to get theirs under control in the second half, the Lady Vols didn't.

One thing I found appalling was the spectacularly poor passing. I guess I'm spoiled. That's one thing JMU does really well, even when their shooting is off. Tennessee couldn't pass last night for anything, and UConn wasn't a lot better. Y'all need to work on that, ladies!

PostPosted: 01/24/20 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Thank god we won.

team in 20 years?

Indeed! My midnight math sucks. Wink

I'm currently thinking it's the worst team since 1993, 27 years. However, I'm cautiously optimistic that the frosh and sophs can improve enough to reach 15 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: