RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Trivia Time!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 01/19/20 8:55 pm    ::: Trivia Time! Reply Reply with quote

With UConn's recent home loss, the longest home winning streak belongs to Baylor. The Bears have won 49 straight in Waco. Your boggle: Who has the second longest active home winning streak?

PostPosted: 01/19/20 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa

pilight

PostPosted: 01/19/20 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Iowa

Yes! The Hawkeyes have won 30 straight at home!

PostPosted: 01/19/20 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, I'll add another trivia question.

What player holds the national high school career record for blocked shots?

Hint: It's not Brittney Griner. Hint 2: She's now a DI head coach.
Howee

PostPosted: 01/19/20 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd say Tina Thompson. Or Adia Barnes.

PostPosted: 01/19/20 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You only get one answer, Howee. Make your choice.
Howee

PostPosted: 01/19/20 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll go with Adia. Very Happy

PostPosted: 01/20/20 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Yes. That was probably too easy.

However, I sense something fishy about this record, which is listed in the nfhs.org record book here:

https://www.nfhs.org/RecordBook/Record-book-result.aspx?CategoryId=1482

Under career blocked shots, Adia Barnes is listed first with 1112. This would be an average of 278 per year over four years. However, Barnes is not listed in the top 18 players for career blocks in a season, which range from 318 for player #1 (Griner) to 217 for player #18 (Crystal Holbrook).

If Barnes averaged 278 blocks per year in a four year career, she should have been in the top 18 for a season at least once. If no records of her seasonal blocks were kept, then there would also be no record of her career blocks. The only other mathematical explanation I can think of is that Barnes played on a high school team for more than four years while all the other 18 seasonal block leaders didn't.

Maybe I'm missing something.
linkster

PostPosted: 01/20/20 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Howee wrote:

However, I sense something fishy about this record, which is listed in the nfhs.org record book here:

Under career blocked shots, Adia Barnes is listed first with 1112. This would be an average of 278 per year over four years. However, Barnes is not listed in the top 18 players for career blocks in a season, which range from 318 for player #1 (Griner) to 217 for player #18 (Crystal Holbrook).

If Barnes averaged 278 blocks per year in a four year career, she should have been in the top 18 for a season at least once. If no records of her seasonal blocks were kept, then there would also be no record of her career blocks. The only other mathematical explanation I can think of is that Barnes played on a high school team for more than four years while all the other 18 seasonal block leaders didn't.

It would only need to be that her blocks were evenly spread over 5 years while the others' were scewed.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/20/20 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Howee wrote:

It would only need to be that her blocks were evenly spread over 5 years while the others' were scewed.

Five years of high school?

taropatch

PostPosted: 01/20/20 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Some school districts allow 7th or 8th grade phenoms to play high school varsity sports.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/20/20 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Howee wrote:

Some middle school players play on their high school teams as early as 8th or even 7th grade, if the school district allows it. Miss. St.'s Andra Espinoza-Hunter, for example, played on the Ossining H.S. varsity as a 7th grader.
PRballer

PostPosted: 01/22/20 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Howee wrote:

Also, she was a 5'10 post player...

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/23/20 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Howee wrote:

Some middle school players play on their high school teams as early as 8th or even 7th grade, if the school district allows it. Miss. St.'s Andra Espinoza-Hunter, for example, played on the Ossining H.S. varsity as a 7th grader.

Sure, but if the records include four years from most players, but five or six for some, they seem to not really tell you much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: