RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ESPN adds more W games
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/27/20 12:17 pm    ::: ESPN adds more W games Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/1287796971953180677

Quote:
ESPN announced today it has added 13 more WNBA games to its schedule. Will air 37 games across its networks, most ever the company has aired for regular season.

PostPosted: 07/27/20 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As they should..

PostPosted: 07/27/20 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And if MLB has to cancel their season, we might get more(Sunday evenings).

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 07/27/20 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Definitely did better by the Fever.

~lw3

pilight

PostPosted: 07/27/20 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2020/07/espn-expands-largest-wnba-schedule-ever-to-include-additional-regular-season-games/

PostPosted: 07/27/20 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The downside is, we'll most likely have to hear more Ruocco & Lobo 🙃

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/27/20 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We will get games everyday on ESPN from August 6th-11th with double headers each day . That has to be a WNBA record !

PostPosted: 07/27/20 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
The downside is, we'll most likely have to hear more Ruocco & Lobo 🙃

Facts! I really hope they allow LaChina to announce some of these games.

chadb

PostPosted: 07/27/20 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I used to like Lobo and Rucco but they are killing me. They rarely speak of whats going on....who's checking in....it's just not what i want to hear. I want specific things, what did players work on? Wasn't that 3 impressive by Gabby Williams (or whatever it is).

Randy

PostPosted: 07/27/20 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would be happy if they could at least tell us who is at the foul line, who fouled and who made a basket. I realize it is not easy to tell in this setup, but they need to do better. I would be happy with a play by play announcer or two actually in the bubble if that is what it takes to do so. The analyst could be off-site.

Tally24

PostPosted: 07/27/20 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I would be happy if they could at least tell us who is at the foul line, who fouled and who made a basket. I realize it is not easy to tell in this setup, but they need to do better. I would be happy with a play by play announcer or two actually in the bubble if that is what it takes to do so. The analyst could be off-site.

+1 on the foul situation. Although, during the Storm opener, they mixed up Bird and Canda, so their ability to tell me who committed a foul? I’m not holding my breath.
toad455

PostPosted: 07/27/20 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NBATV games have been added to the broadcast schedule.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/27/20 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This schedule includes the NBATV games:

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/wnba-tv-schedule-2020-espn-abc-cbs/

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 07/27/20 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chadb wrote:
I used to like Lobo and Rucco but they are killing me. They rarely speak of whats going on....who's checking in....it's just not what i want to hear. I want specific things, what did players work on? Wasn't that 3 impressive by Gabby Williams (or whatever it is).

Bruh! I thought it was just me. They are both so annoying and corny now. They shouldn't be allowed to broadcast together lol

PostPosted: 07/27/20 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
chadb wrote:

Bruh! I thought it was just me. They are both so annoying and corny now. They shouldn't be allowed to broadcast together lol

Yeah, sadly they seem to prioritise personal banter and in-jokes over game commentary these days. It's disrespectful to basketball and its viewers IMO.
It's extra frustrating now because this season more than ever they are a position to advance the league and tell its stories to more people thanks to the expanded ESPN coverage.

PostPosted: 07/27/20 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been turning them off. Remote broadcasting doesn't suit them.

PostPosted: 07/28/20 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's as if the game itself isn't interesting enough to hold their attention -- and by extension, the interest of the viewers.

If the plan is to make WNBA broadcasts more about entertainment and less about basketball, then this makes sense. Perhaps the thinking is that once the NBA comes on, the WNBA version of the game will not be able to attract viewers on its own, and to keep ratings up, must be enhanced by interviews, segments on shoes, and Lobo/Ruocco interaction.

So far, though, the games have been well-played and the quality is high, so maybe a little more emphasis on the game itself might be warranted.

PostPosted: 07/28/20 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great for the League to see more games on national television.

Bad for me and other cord-cutters, since it means many fewer games available to stream live.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/28/20 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Bad for me and other cord-cutters, since it means many fewer games available to stream live.

*cough*VPN*cough*

I know what you guys mean about Ruocco/Lobo. They definitely used to be more interested in talking about the basketball, but it feels like they've gotten so comfortable with each other that a lot of their talk has become other stuff. That's fine in the final period of a blowout, but not something you want all the time. That said, the only game I couldn't stand over the weekend and watched largely on mute was when Carolyn Peck and whoever that awful guy working with her was were inflicted on us by CBS Sports. I still dont mind Ruocco/Lobo that much; the CBS crew were unbearable.

PostPosted: 07/28/20 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BTW - maybe ESPN and ABC picked up the extra because they didn't want CBS to get them. It sounds like fall content for fall TV is going to be a problem - maybe the networks are grabbing up sports. ABC might be creating space on ESPN by picking up NBA, MLB etc.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/28/20 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Heck, with the lack of new available programming come the Fall, we might see the entire WNBA Finals on ABC.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/28/20 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

*cough*VPN*cough*

I know what you guys mean about Ruocco/Lobo. They definitely used to be more interested in talking about the basketball, but it feels like they've gotten so comfortable with each other that a lot of their talk has become other stuff. That's fine in the final period of a blowout, but not something you want all the time. That said, the only game I couldn't stand over the weekend and watched largely on mute was when Carolyn Peck and whoever that awful guy working with her was were inflicted on us by CBS Sports. I still dont mind Ruocco/Lobo that much; the CBS crew were unbearable.

+1
and I agree Lobo/Rucco have sort of devolved. Hopefully they will get better acquainted with the new set of players which will make it easier. I had trouble distinguishing some players myself, so can't totally blame them about that since they're working from the same feed. And the constant substituting, which often isn't shown, makes it even harder. I found myself suddenly realizing a player was on the floor because I recognized the way she shoots or dribbles or moves, but being surprised because I didn't know she had come into the game. But at least they are somewhat entertaining.

Peck and company were just flat out awful. I was even happy to see CBS had Antonelli the second day. By comparison with day one, she was good. And I think in general when she doesn't have a personal bias about the teams she's decent. Otherwise she can go into Mary Murphy mode where Dietrick or some other random player x might be the next best thing to sliced bread.

- Amanda Gorman
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 07/28/20 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As of right now, 77 of the season's 132 games are scheduled to appear on National Television. That's 58%. This season should be huge for exposure and hopefully building a larger fan base.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/28/20 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

... But how many of those games are going to have to go head-to-head against NBA games, though? Because I'm pretty sure that number is also unprecedented.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Shades

PostPosted: 07/28/20 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
As of right now, 77 of the season's 132 games are scheduled to appear on National Television. That's 58%. This season should be huge for exposure and hopefully building a larger fan base.

More than that if you consider NBA TV as national.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: