RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Start of Free Agency for 2020
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
RI_Sun_Fan



Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 698



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/18/20 1:54 pm    ::: Start of Free Agency for 2020 Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA announced that teams can begin negotiating with free agents on Jan. 28 and start signing player contracts on Feb. 10.

Source: WNBA Twitter account


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 21978
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/18/20 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those who want a primer on UFAs/RFAs, this is a shockingly accurate summary compared to informtion I have from my own sources: https://winsidr.com/2020/01/14/wnba-free-agency-tracker-2020-cba/



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Chip



Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 913
Location: NEW YORK


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/18/20 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
For those who want a primer on UFAs/RFAs, this is a shockingly accurate summary compared to informtion I have from my own sources: https://winsidr.com/2020/01/14/wnba-free-agency-tracker-2020-cba/

Muchas Gracias


root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 5518
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/18/20 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right now, the tantalizing player is Bonner who can no longer be cored. We have to wait on everybody else to see if they remain unrestricted.



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 9880



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/18/20 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow - that's helpful. Thanks for posting.

I could see some pretty silly contracts being handed out this season - every team now has cap space. Players like Dolson, Copper and Ndour (just as examples) might get 215 k. Gustafson might pull 100k+



_________________
2019 RebKell Tipping Contest Champion
hangtyme24



Joined: 21 May 2006
Posts: 2379



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/18/20 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Wow - that's helpful. Thanks for posting.

I could see some pretty silly contracts being handed out this season - every team now has cap space. Players like Dolson, Copper and Ndour (just as examples) might get 215 k. Gustafson might pull 100k+


No one is paying Gustafson 100k in the W.



_________________
HERE 2 STAY!
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9260
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/18/20 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
Randy wrote:
Wow - that's helpful. Thanks for posting.

I could see some pretty silly contracts being handed out this season - every team now has cap space. Players like Dolson, Copper and Ndour (just as examples) might get 215 k. Gustafson might pull 100k+


No one is paying Gustafson 100k in the W.


Period.



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 774
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/18/20 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing in that Winsidr article about who may be on Reserved status. Anyone know if that concept was altered at all in the new CBA?


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 21978
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/18/20 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Nothing in that Winsidr article about who may be on Reserved status. Anyone know if that concept was altered at all in the new CBA?

Haven't read or heard anything suggesting it'll be any different. Basically applies to anyone who's out of contract but doesn't have the years in the league to be restricted.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10272



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/18/20 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So the difference between the rookie contract and vet minimum is $11,000, which should have little or no impact on which players make rosters. Good news ...



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Iluvacc



Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 2933



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/18/20 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
For those who want a primer on UFAs/RFAs, this is a shockingly accurate summary compared to informtion I have from my own sources: https://winsidr.com/2020/01/14/wnba-free-agency-tracker-2020-cba/



Cream of the UFA crop: McCoughtry, Diggins-Smith, Vandersloot, and Bonner. Bonner. Interesting to see who will be cored.


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 21089



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/18/20 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
For those who want a primer on UFAs/RFAs, this is a shockingly accurate summary compared to informtion I have from my own sources: https://winsidr.com/2020/01/14/wnba-free-agency-tracker-2020-cba/



Cream of the UFA crop: McCoughtry, Diggins-Smith, Vandersloot, and Bonner. Bonner. Interesting to see who will be cored.


Vandersloot is a definite core.
Bonner can't be cored again.
Diggins-Smith is a sign & trade if she indeed wants out.
McCoughtry is the questionable one here.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Iluvacc



Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 2933



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/18/20 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
For those who want a primer on UFAs/RFAs, this is a shockingly accurate summary compared to informtion I have from my own sources: https://winsidr.com/2020/01/14/wnba-free-agency-tracker-2020-cba/



Cream of the UFA crop: McCoughtry, Diggins-Smith, Vandersloot, and Bonner. Bonner. Interesting to see who will be cored.


Vandersloot is a definite core.
Bonner can't be cored again.
Diggins-Smith is a sign & trade if she indeed wants out.
McCoughtry is the questionable one here.


I agree with all of the above. I don't think Bonner wants to leave the Merc, not so sure with Skylar and Angel Laughing


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 53831



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/19/20 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
For those who want a primer on UFAs/RFAs, this is a shockingly accurate summary compared to informtion I have from my own sources: https://winsidr.com/2020/01/14/wnba-free-agency-tracker-2020-cba/



Cream of the UFA crop: McCoughtry, Diggins-Smith, Vandersloot, and Bonner. Bonner. Interesting to see who will be cored.


You don’t consider Delle Donne or Meesseman creamy? Charles?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SpaceJunkie



Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 4017
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/19/20 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
Cream of the UFA crop: McCoughtry, Diggins-Smith, Vandersloot, and Bonner. Bonner. Interesting to see who will be cored.


You don’t consider Delle Donne or Meesseman creamy? Charles?


Probably considers there's approximately a 0% chance Delle Donne would sign with any other team, and not much more a chance with Meesseman.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 53831



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/19/20 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
Cream of the UFA crop: McCoughtry, Diggins-Smith, Vandersloot, and Bonner. Bonner. Interesting to see who will be cored.


You don’t consider Delle Donne or Meesseman creamy? Charles?


Probably considers there's approximately a 0% chance Delle Donne would sign with any other team, and not much more a chance with Meesseman.


Answering somebody else’s question means you agree with this list? The flaw with your reasoning is you don’t consider Vandersloot a 0%’er? Some would consider Bonner a 0%’er.

Since whoever has a 0% chance of leaving is very subjective, it makes sense just to list all the actual top free agents. That would alleviate confusion.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 5452



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/19/20 2:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thing with someone like Bonner or even a McCoughtry is whether they want to stay with there team or not or if multiple teams are looking at them, the stage that they are at in their career combined with the new CBA at least creates the possibility of teams being able to out do each other.

Lets use Bonner as an example; Bonner is probably a top 20 player but is in her early 30s same class as McCoughtry so how many years is she going to be a top tier-ish player. Contracts have both pay per year and years as a consideration. This is just shaping the argument not trying to say any of this is true but lets say PX offers Bonner a two year max contract but say Dallas offers her a 4 year contract at 175 that is 430K in two years or 700K in 4 that would be enough to get an older player to think twice. Maybe its the opposite PX offers a longer contract at 175 but Bonner finds the shorter max 215K contract that NY offers her more appealing (in this example maybe PX wants to spread money around and maybe Bonner doesn't see herself playing in 3 years so the greater amount of money on the short term contract works better for her).

Maybe it is opposite for McCoughtry LA really wants her but doesn't want to commit long term so offers her a 1 or 2 year max, but Laimbeer in Vegas thinks a McCoughtry like player even in decline is so valuable for a young Aces team he offers her a four year max which one do you think she'll want to take if she plans to play for 4 more years? The new CBA's larger pay range has created a much more realistic way for one team to out bid another when before if you had a somewhat decent player say top 5 or 6 in your rotation you could simply max or match any contract for that player really limiting movement.

Now if someone really wants say RFA Copper, Stafford-McGee or T. Mitchell they could challenge their current team, is Dallas going to be willing to give Stafford-McGee 150-175K for 3 years because some one might? T. Mitchell is good, is she max good? Someone might take that risk? Copper is at a pretty loaded position for the Sky would they offer her 165-200K to play behind Quigley and Deshields? Doubt it, but would a team in need of a 3 and D true SF like NY, Seattle, Vegas, LA or a McCoughtry-less Atl pay and possibly start her?

It should be a slightly more interesting free agency than we've seen in a while.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 60436
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/19/20 6:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The last time Kristi Toliver won a championship, she left the team as a FA that offseason



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 21978
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/19/20 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just to note, unless they've opened it up in the new deal, only a player's existing team can offer a 4-year deal. Otherwise you're limited to 3. Which makes it a little more difficult to steal someone away with the strength of the offer in the way J-Spoon suggested above (but does still happen, even under the old deal, never mind the new one).



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Cooper2009



Joined: 04 Nov 2017
Posts: 45
Location: Atlanta


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/19/20 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

🤔 Stricklen to Vegas



_________________
Nared.
Iluvacc



Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 2933



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/19/20 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
For those who want a primer on UFAs/RFAs, this is a shockingly accurate summary compared to informtion I have from my own sources: https://winsidr.com/2020/01/14/wnba-free-agency-tracker-2020-cba/



Cream of the UFA crop: McCoughtry, Diggins-Smith, Vandersloot, and Bonner. Bonner. Interesting to see who will be cored.


You don’t consider Delle Donne or Meesseman creamy? Charles?


I completely bypassed the rest of the list Embarassed

Of course those 3 are creamy along with Toliver Laughing


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 21978
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/19/20 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting to see who Washington core among that group, if anyone. Delle Donne's obviously the super-duper-star, but if you're absolutely 100% sure she's going nowhere, it opens you up to protect a different asset.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Iluvacc



Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 2933



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/19/20 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Interesting to see who Washington core among that group, if anyone. Delle Donne's obviously the super-duper-star, but if you're absolutely 100% sure she's going nowhere, it opens you up to protect a different asset.


EDD and Toliver are both close to home, so I'm guessing they would core Messeman.


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 21978
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/19/20 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Interesting to see who Washington core among that group, if anyone. Delle Donne's obviously the super-duper-star, but if you're absolutely 100% sure she's going nowhere, it opens you up to protect a different asset.


EDD and Toliver are both close to home, so I'm guessing they would core Messeman.

They've also got players like Powers, Sanders and Cloud finishing deals next offseason. So your problem is that if you core any of this year's group and then sign that player to a multi-year deal, you can't core anyone next year. So if they're confident all three don't want to go anywhere, coring no one is also an option.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Iluvacc



Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 2933



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/19/20 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Interesting to see who Washington core among that group, if anyone. Delle Donne's obviously the super-duper-star, but if you're absolutely 100% sure she's going nowhere, it opens you up to protect a different asset.


EDD and Toliver are both close to home, so I'm guessing they would core Messeman.

They've also got players like Powers, Sanders and Cloud finishing deals next offseason. So your problem is that if you core any of this year's group and then sign that player to a multi-year deal, you can't core anyone next year. So if they're confident all three don't want to go anywhere, coring no one is also an option.


Powers lucked into the best situation possible for her so she would be crazy to leave, Sanders has been in Wash for years and appears to be pretty loyal, Cloud will probably receive a lot of attention though so they may wanna put more thought into holding on to the core option.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin