RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Notre Dame @ #4 UConn 12.8.19 4pm ESPN
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/08/19 8:41 am    ::: Notre Dame @ #4 UConn 12.8.19 4pm ESPN Reply Reply with quote

Gampel Pavilion, Storrs, CT

Dangerfield is expected to play.

PostPosted: 12/08/19 1:43 pm    ::: Re: Notre Dame @ #4 UConn 12.8.19 4pm ESPN Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Because of the game and the opponent, I fully expect ND to play their best game of the year and for this to be close. We'll need big games from Walker and Williams and for ONO to stay out of foul trouble.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/08/19 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mentioed somewhere that N Dame needed more offense from Sneezer. She' got 9 today but ND trails by 17 early in the second.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 12/08/19 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am positive that when ESPN put this game on their schedule, they expected it to be a little bit closer than the 30 point blow out and it is right now. Irish do not look good at all.

willtalk

PostPosted: 12/08/19 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
I am positive that when ESPN put this game on their schedule, they expected it to be a little bit closer than the 30 point blow out and it is right now. Irish do not look good at all.

ESPN should have a system in place like the Major broadcaster have for NFL primetime football where if a matchup does not look so good they can replace it with a more interesting one.

PostPosted: 12/08/19 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was kind of like an AAC game. I watched about 4 minutes.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/08/19 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ying-yang game for me.

I was very impressed by UConn's effort and execution in the first half when they shot 51% and scored 52 points. I was then annoyed by the big drop off in the second half when, with Notre Dame's Brunelle on the bench the entire time, the Huskies could only shoot 36% and score 29 points.

Worse, UConn scored only six points in the paint in the second half, and lost that battle to the undersized Irish 34-36 for the game. Some of that was attributable to ONO's flimsy low post scoring power and 0-4 whiff in the second half. Otherwise, she played a good rebounding and defensive game, not fouling again after getting one in the first 26 seconds of the game.
linkster

PostPosted: 12/08/19 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:

From their preseason comments I imagine they expected UConn to be much worse and a close game.

I thought Lobo tossed a barbed comment to her colleagues in Bristol when she said that given they have been to 12 straight final fours a person would have to be crazy to leave UConn out of their FF predictions. Very Happy

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/08/19 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who ya see?

SDHoops

PostPosted: 12/08/19 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Who ya see?

Future Huskie Azzi Fudd. It's funny..posters on here said a few years ago that there was no way in hell that UConn would get Bueckers and/or Fudd. Bueckers is signed and just waiting on Fudd's commitment.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/08/19 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Who ya see?

Future Huskie Azzi Fudd. It's funny..posters on here said a few years ago that there was no way in hell that UConn would get Bueckers and/or Fudd. Bueckers is signed and just waiting on Fudd's commitment.

Yes, left to right: Amari DeBerry (2021 HG #5, verballed), Paige Bueckers (2020 HG #1, signed), Azzi Fudd (2021 HG #1, desiderated)
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/08/19 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
It was kind of like an AAC game. I watched about 4 minutes.

I thought the same thing- another AAC rout.

PostPosted: 12/09/19 12:39 am    ::: Re: Notre Dame @ #4 UConn 12.8.19 4pm ESPN Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Because of the game and the opponent, I fully expect ND to play their best game of the year and for this to be close. We'll need big games from Walker and Williams and for ONO to stay out of foul trouble.

You underestimated how bad the Muff's team is this year.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 12/09/19 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nm

Last edited by acsuc99 on 12/09/19 12:52 am; edited 2 times in total
acsuc99

PostPosted: 12/09/19 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ACSUC99 says,

What I am loving:

1. The Muff and her feminist propaganda ALL FEMALE STAFF is gonna be off the radar all year. What a bad year they are gonna have.

2. Meg Walker putting up All American numbers. I like her game a helluva a lot better than KLSClunk and even Collier.

3. the uber athleticism of Aubrey Griffin.

4. The Rat playing steadier and making a shot here and there.

5. Recruited walk ons Bent and Irwin helping out

6. Azzi Fudd being at the game with Paige Buckets.

What I don't love:

1. Christyn Williams is starting to annoy me. Think she is way too hit and miss and inconsistent. She is capable of being the most talented player on the court and yet she usually just coasts to a forgettable 12 pts or so a game with questionable defense and decision making. I just think the progression is flat right now with her. SHe's coasting. Step it up.

2. The 5-6 minute stretches of crappy play.

3. Lobo. I am a UCOnn fan but she is just embarrassing and shouldn't be calling any UConn games. Hack!

Onto Depaul and our first ranked opponent of the year!

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/09/19 7:52 am    ::: Re: Notre Dame @ #4 UConn 12.8.19 4pm ESPN Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I really did. I've seen them a few times, but I didn't expect that. As much as I'm not a ND fan, I hope they get their kids back from injury soon. I think they'd be a top-25 team with them.

willtalk

PostPosted: 12/09/19 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
ACSUC99 says,

1. Christyn Williams is starting to annoy me. Think she is way too hit and miss and inconsistent. She is capable of being the most talented player on the court and yet she usually just coasts to a forgettable 12 pts or so a game with questionable defense and decision making. I just think the progression is flat right now with her. SHe's coasting. Step it up.

.r!

Did it ever occur to you that she is just what she is? Or that perhaps she never had the upside that everyone projected on her? Some players peak early in their careers reaching their ceilings earlier that others. She has always seemed more of an opertunistic player rather than someone who can create shots at that high a level. What you perceive as inconsistent might just be her taking what the defense gives her and that can certainly vary game to game.

Most fans made an assumption on her potential based on her ending up as the highest-rated recruit in her class along with an excellent showing in the MCD All Star game. An objective assessment of her class show one that really never had a clear top recruit throughout. There was a lot of shuffeling going on. It seems to me she just ended up as #1 more by default. I actually thing Ododa has a far bigger upside left.

The telling thing about Williams in respect to upside is her lack of foot speed. And that shows up the most on defense. I see her as a smart player who knows and plays withing her limitations. Unfortunately, most Uconn fans had overinflated expectations of her.

PostPosted: 12/09/19 8:46 am    ::: Re: Notre Dame @ #4 UConn 12.8.19 4pm ESPN Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I really did. I've seen them a few times, but I didn't expect that. As much as I'm not a ND fan, I hope they get their kids back from injury soon. I think they'd be a top-25 team with them.

The absence of Vaughn was a big deal, imo. The game would have been closer, longer, had she played, imo.

PostPosted: 12/09/19 2:07 pm    ::: Re: Notre Dame @ #4 UConn 12.8.19 4pm ESPN Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ucbart wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

The absence of Vaughn was a big deal, imo. The game would have been closer, longer, had she played, imo.

Yeah, besides the graduation of 4 of ND's starters, the 5th leaving, and two transferring, there are also two out with injury (one out indefinitely (I'm thinking she won't be back this year)) and another out for a few weeks.

I don't care how good your coach is or how much talent you have left, if you take a team and remove the top 9 players in experience, even if you add two transfers (who both sat out most or all of last season due to injury), it's going to be ugly.

That's why my attitude this year is just go with the flow and chock it up to being a learning experience and preparing for the future.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/09/19 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
ACSUC99 says,

What I am loving:

1. The Muff and her feminist propaganda ALL FEMALE STAFF is gonna be off the radar all year. What a bad year they are gonna have.

Doesn't Geno Auriemma have an all female staff? When was the last time he had a male assistant coach?

Doesn't Tara VanDerveer have an all female staff as well?

BTW, 3 of her last 4 assistant coach hires were her former players, so that would also tilt the scales to female staff members.

Did you also have a problem when McGraw used to say that she felt that she had to have a male on her staff? She changed her mind on that and decided to mention why, and a lot of people got all worked up.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 12/09/19 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
ACSUC99 says,

What I am loving:

Doesn't Geno Auriemma have an all female staff? When was the last time he had a male assistant coach?

BTW, 3 of her last 4 assistant coach hires were her former players, so that would also tilt the scales to female staff members.

Did you also have a problem when McGraw used to say that she felt that she had to have a male on her staff? She changed her mind on that and decided to mention why, and a lot of people got all worked up.

That's the part that always amuses me whenever a Uconn fan brings it up Shocked Laughing

Where is Art?

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/09/19 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could be a bit more than McChicken having an all female staff.

Wink

PostPosted: 12/09/19 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
ACSUC99 says,

What I am loving:

Not a UCONN or Stanford fan. No need to say that she would never hire a male again.

Quote:
Asked whether she plans to ever hire a male coach again, she doesn’t hesitate: “No.”

https://thinkprogress.org/this-top-womens-college-basketball-coach-is-done-hiring-men-5f3b6d06609b/

If a man said he would never hire a woman on his staff, he would be fired. What makes this any different?

PostPosted: 12/10/19 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
ACSUC99 says,

What I am loving:

You miss the point. McGraw publicly admits that she practices gender discrimination in her hiring decisions. The others have never said that.

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/10/19 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey Biebel or any ND fans-

Any word on the Brunelle injury?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: