RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mid-Majors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 12/18/19 7:10 pm    ::: Mid-Majors Reply Reply with quote

....deserve more LOVE! Graham's done a nice job, analyzing the middies up to this point in the season. I didn't realize Ciara Duffy (SD) had such amazing stats.

(I LIKE the idea of an "Elena Delle Donne" award for Mid-Major POY!)

Last edited by Howee on 12/18/19 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/18/19 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This may be a dumb question but what are generally considered mid-major conferences these days? I'm wondering about the Big East too as I know they aren't a power conference these days but not sure that people consider them a mid major either.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/18/19 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
This may be a dumb question but what are generally considered mid-major conferences these days? I'm wondering about the Big East too as I know they aren't a power conference these days but not sure that people consider them a mid major either.

I do believe any league that isn't in the Power 5 (ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac 12, or SEC) is considered a mid-major.

PostPosted: 12/18/19 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:

The term "mid major" is not universally defined. Generally the 5 major conferences plus the Big East and American conferences are the only ones that are not included. But for purposes of the mid-major poll (CollegeInsider.com), three other conferences opted out, the Atlantic 10, Mountain West and Conference USA. These 3 conferences rank 10th, 22nd, and 14th. To be fair, I think that those conferences consider their position more in terms of men's basketball and football. Graham Hays includes those conferences on ESPN for his rankings. He will most likely also include the American Athletic next season once UConn has moved to the Big East.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/18/19 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

The term "mid major" is not universally defined. Generally the 5 major conferences plus the Big East and American conferences are the only ones that are not included. But for purposes of the mid-major poll (CollegeInsider.com), three other conferences opted out, the Atlantic 10, Mountain West and Conference USA. These 3 conferences rank 10th, 22nd, and 14th. To be fair, I think that those conferences consider their position more in terms of men's basketball and football. Graham Hays includes those conferences on ESPN for his rankings. He will most likely also include the American Athletic next season once UConn has moved to the Big East.

Hmmm. I think some of that smells of Gerrymandering! Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: