RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches on the rise
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 02/19/21 1:22 pm    ::: Coaches on the rise Reply Reply with quote

So, we always have a coaches on the hot seat thread and there is never a shortage of those. However, I was wondering who some of the upstarts may be that are honing their craft in the mid-major ranks. What caught my eye last week when I noticed teams cancelling their season in the America East was Maine being on top of that league yet again. That's a league I have a little familiarity with simply from McCallie going to Michigan State from there and then obviously Versyp getting her head coaching start there as well.

Anyway, their current head coach is a former player named Amy Vachon. She has had a ton of success into her 4th full season and has them poised for their 3rd NCAA Tournament in 4 years, including last year which had no tourney. She seems to be a tremendous coach with the little research I have done but the caveat is she is from Maine (an hour or so from the school) so I have no idea if she would even be willing to move. That said, she seems like she is on the fast track but maybe she ends up being a Robin Selvig, the long time coach at Montana who had tons of success but just never left for the "greener" pastures.

Another coach I'm familiar with is Austin Parkinson at IUPUI. He has been very successful at an IUPUI program (Horizon League) that really hadn't had a whole lot of tradition. He has been there for 10 or 11 years and has won 20+ games for 5 straight years and 7 out of 8. They finally got to the NCAA's in 2020 only to have the tourney cancelled thanks to covid. This year they are 2nd and have a great chance to follow up with another title and hopefully get to the NCAA's again. He is a native of Indiana so he may not be looking to move either but his resume is pretty strong.

So, what other current head coaches at the mid-major level are there that may be ready to make a jump up?

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/19/21 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, a little bias, I admit: Tracy Sanders, who played as Tracy Morris at Campolindo HS (where I was an assistant) and St. Mary's College, is in her third year at Southern Utah. (She spent 12 years as an assistant at SMC.)

First year, they went from four to eight wins. Second year, they won 18 games, best since 2014, and this year, they're 9-5 after winning six of their last seven (only loss to Arizona State, by 11).

And another note: Her daughter Samantha, who I also coached, is getting 6 mpg as a freshman.

And on top of that, Tracy is one of the nicest people you would ever meet.

PostPosted: 02/19/21 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jarrod Olson--Cal Baptist.

One of the best coached teams I have seen in a long time. 169-55 for a .754 win percentage, in his 6 seasons at CBU

https://cbulancers.com/staff-directory/jarrod-olson/31

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/19/21 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At one point I thought maybe Charlotte Smith at Elon might be, but Elon seems to be a bit stuck lately. That may be due to recruiting problems in this conference, though. She's a damn good coach, for my money. Sean O'Regan at JMU could be, but I think his allegiance is firmly with JMU...he graduated from there in 2013 and has spent his entire career there.

PostPosted: 02/19/21 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
Jarrod Olson--Cal Baptist.

One of the best coached teams I have seen in a long time. 169-55 for a .754 win percentage, in his 6 seasons at CBU

https://cbulancers.com/staff-directory/jarrod-olson/31

Damn, that's impressive! I had no idea.

Thank you all who have commented so far...this is exactly what I was hoping for. Love seeing the names I know nothing about so I can check them out. Clay, nothing wrong with a personal bias as long as they are legit and she certainly sounds like she fits the criteria.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/19/21 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gotta think someone will lift Lisa Fortier from Gonzaga soon.

Karl Smesko has been talked about as potential major conference hire for a while.

Mark Kellogg has gotten Stephen F Austin back to respectability.

PostPosted: 02/19/21 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Gotta think someone will lift Lisa Fortier from Gonzaga soon.

Karl Smesko has been talked about as potential major conference hire for a while.

Mark Kellogg has gotten Stephen F Austin back to respectability.

Know about Fortier and Smesko, know nothing about Kellogg. I will have to check him out. Smesko has turned down some jobs in the past right? Fortier has a great thing in Gonzaga and with the men's team being so popular as well, life has to be pretty good in Spokane. Gonna take something pretty special to tear her away from there I would think.

SFA was really, really good back when Royce Chadwick was coaching them. They were always a very tough out in the postseason.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/19/21 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

38-year-old Jennie Baranczyk at Drake. At the end of last season, she was 174-83 (.677) in her first eight years as a head coach.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/19/21 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's NAIA, but Katie Gearlds won the national titles in her first four years at Marion College - the team had only ever made the tournament once before she got there.

I would have to think she is ripe for a move up the ladder.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/19/21 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Karl Smesko.

He's hardly an *upstart*....he's been at FGCU for almost 20 years now.

His record is 549-120 overall. He won a NAIA DII championship in his first year as a head coach (with a team that only got in with an at-large bid), and among other things, has earned the Kay Yow Award.

He did turn down USC three years ago, when they recruited him. I'd just love to see him in a P5 school, but....maybe he's happy being consistently on top in a mid-major.

PostPosted: 02/19/21 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless another school gets him first, I think Smesko goes to USC when Trakh retires or his contract is up, which is two years. A new AD might put more emphasis on wbb at USC. It might cost them 500k to get him (he turned down 400k last time) but should a university which is struggling financially consider that kind of a salary for such a low attended sport?

okstateguy

PostPosted: 02/19/21 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Off the top of my head, I could see Katrina Merriweather of Wright State and Jalie Mitchell of North Texas both being coaches on the rise. Merriweather has Purdue ties, if my memory serves me correct, and could be a potential contender for that job at some point(if I'm right on the ties).

An Assistant Coach I see that could make a strong step forward could be Lacey Goldwire of Tennessee. Has worked for several strong coaches, and appears to have a strong track record of helping develop perimeter talent. Seems to be a real "players coach".

Howee

PostPosted: 02/19/21 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welcome to Rebs, okstateguy....we can always use more Big 12 fans here!

PostPosted: 02/19/21 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not expecting Marquette to be able to hold onto Megan Duffy for too long but I'd love to have her stay at Marquette for a long time Smile.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/19/21 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
Off the top of my head, I could see Katrina Merriweather of Wright State and Jalie Mitchell of North Texas both being coaches on the rise. Merriweather has Purdue ties, if my memory serves me correct, and could be a potential contender for that job at some point(if I'm right on the ties).

An Assistant Coach I see that could make a strong step forward could be Lacey Goldwire of Tennessee. Has worked for several strong coaches, and appears to have a strong track record of helping develop perimeter talent. Seems to be a real "players coach".

Merriweather’s ties to Purdue were infamous! https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/news/story?id=2986858

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/19/21 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I do not see that reunion happening at Purdue.

(now with spelling variations)
okstateguy

PostPosted: 02/19/21 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

Merriweather’s ties to Purdue were infamous! https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/news/story?id=2986858

That would be why I feel like there was a connection! Strike Purdue off her list, but seems to be doing a pretty clean job thus far at the helm. Would be interesting to see if any P5 schools take a gamble on her at some point.

PostPosted: 02/19/21 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I almost mentioned Merriweather, but she's had a relatively brief stint as head coach and comes with baggage. If she keeps winning she'll get a look eventually.

PostPosted: 02/19/21 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jory Collins has turned around the NDSU WBB program in just his second season with a career winning percentage and moved into fourth all-time in program history for coaching victories. The Bison are currently third in the Summit League standings and recently lost to SDSU to an 8 point margin. He was the head coach at Emporia State and as assistant at KU a few years ago.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/20/21 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ethridge at WSU is not exactly a Spring chicken but she did a pretty good job at Northern Colorado before inheriting a bottom P12 team. This is her third year at WSU and this team is already a huge step above anything in recent history at WSU. It may just be because she hit the jackpot with Leger-Walker, but whatever the reason, I'll be curious to see how they progress.

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/20/21 6:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
I'm not expecting Marquette to be able to hold onto Megan Duffy for too long but I'd love to have her stay at Marquette for a long time Smile.

Sadly, this is the first coach, and fan frankly, I thought of. Marquette clearly cares and does things right, so hopefully her replacement can step right in. Marquette is a well organized and very coached team.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/20/21 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

Sadly, this is the first coach, and fan frankly, I thought of. Marquette clearly cares and does things right, so hopefully her replacement can step right in. Marquette is a well organized and very coached team.

They moved very quickly to replace Kieger and made a great hire in Duffy. So my hope is once Duffy moves on they make another great hire. But in the meantime I'll enjoy it while she's still at Marquette Smile.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/20/21 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dawn Plitzuweit at South Dakota has been around long enough that she’s no longer up and coming but has enough career in front of her to be considered for a P5 job. As a Wisconsin native, I’d look for her to go to Wisconsin if Tsipis gets let go or Green Bay when Borseth retires (he’s 66).

Dawn won the D2 championship at Grand Valley in 2006. She left D2 to be the AHC under Borseth at Michigan. When he returned to Green Bay, she became the coach at Northern Kentucky and then South Dakota. She’s won over 70% of her games as a head coach.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 02/20/21 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lisa Fortier could ABSOLUTELY coach not just a P5 team, but an elite one. Amaka Agugua-Hamilton is, like Duffy, only in her second season at Missouri State and I can't see her being there more than 1 or 2 more if she sustains this level of play. I don't know a ton about assistant coaches but someone mentioned Mark Campbell from Oregon a while back on a different thread, I think he'd be a great coach.

PostPosted: 02/20/21 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Jory Collins has turned around the NDSU WBB program in just his second season with a career winning percentage and moved into fourth all-time in program history for coaching victories. The Bison are currently third in the Summit League standings and recently lost to SDSU to an 8 point margin. He was the head coach at Emporia State and as assistant at KU a few years ago.

Shhhhhh........What happens in Fargo Must stay in Fargo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: