RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Because of the PAC12, I'm
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/11/19 9:08 pm    ::: Because of the PAC12, I'm Reply Reply with quote

Slinging.

I just added sling blue and the sports extra so that i can enjoy what many believe to be the best overall WCB conf.

*gag*

Wink

PostPosted: 12/12/19 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yer ALWAYS *slinging* something, dude.... Razz

So, on that note: what is the experience of locals here with the various entities like Hulu, Sling, etc.?

I have typically gotten my local cable provider (who refuses, by the way, to carry Big Ten sports here in the heart of Big Ten land Rolling Eyes ) so I can get FS1, SEC, ACC, etc., but their prices are so annoyingly more than the likes of Hulu. I tried that for a while, but didn't love it for (reasons including-but-not-limited-to) wcbb. I also don't think I could access Pac 12 on Hulu....

Any suggestions from the peanut gallery for a VERY non-tech fan?

And btw, I am NOT a fan of the satellite options.

PostPosted: 12/12/19 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We went from Cable to SlingTV for awhile. But Sling didn't have a number of sports channels I wanted and our antenna wasn't working well for us getting local channels. So we switched to YouTubeTV and that includes local channels. The only downside to me between cable and YouTubeTV is the streaming is a tad delayed so with sporting events I am behind a bit and sometimes get alerts on my phone before something occurs on my broadcast. But the price savings is so great that I'm willing to deal with that. We like the unlimited DVR in the cloud also.

In addition, I have a subscription to ESPN+ and watch some games via that platform.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/12/19 10:00 pm    ::: Re: Because of the PAC12, I'm Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Slinging.

I just added sling blue and the sports extra so that i can enjoy what many believe to be the best overall WCB conf.

*gag*

Wink

That's what I'm going to get - Sling. I haven't decided if I want orange + sports or orange + blue + sports. I just wish they could make a deal with BTN. I've got two more weeks on my DTV.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Howee

PostPosted: 12/12/19 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
We went from Cable to SlingTV for awhile. But Sling didn't have a number of sports channels I wanted and our antenna wasn't working well for us getting local channels. So we switched to YouTubeTV and that includes local channels. The only downside to me between cable and YouTubeTV is the streaming is a tad delayed so with sporting events I am behind a bit and sometimes get alerts on my phone before something occurs on my broadcast. But the price savings is so great that I'm willing to deal with that. We like the unlimited DVR in the cloud also..

Now, I watch (free) YouTubeTV all the time....is there a subscription option that allows games to be seen? I don't mind the delay thing, as I seldom watch a game live anyways. Does YouTubeTV have a DVR option? Forgive the ignorance--i'm still remembering the Good Ol' Days of 3 channels and rabbit ears. Razz

PostPosted: 12/13/19 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The YouTubeTV advantage, imo, is that it has local channels and unlimited cloud DVR.

You can program it to record every women's college basketball game that airs. That's pretty cool.

Sling has the Sports Extra for $10/month that includes:

ACC Network, SEC Network, The Longhorn Netowrk, Pac-12, beIN SPORTS, NBA TV, ACC Network Extra, MLB Network, SEC Network+, ESPNU, ESPNEWS, Tennis Channel, NHL Network, MLB Network Strikezone, ESPN Goal Line, ESPN Bases Loaded, Outside Television, Stadium.

Sling also charges an extra $5/month for 50 hours of DVR recording.

I had Hulu Live TV for the last several months, but switched to Sling Blue today. I also have YouTubeTV.

PostPosted: 12/13/19 2:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did YouTubeTV last year and was for the most part pleased, getting my share of WBB on ESPN/Fox channels at $40/mon. I dropped it after the March Madness and now they want $50/mon.

Thinking of trying Sling Orange + Sports Extra this season instead of YouTubeTV. And of course, ESPN+ is a low cost supplement too.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/13/19 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
We went from Cable to SlingTV for awhile. But Sling didn't have a number of sports channels I wanted and our antenna wasn't working well for us getting local channels. So we switched to YouTubeTV and that includes local channels. The only downside to me between cable and YouTubeTV is the streaming is a tad delayed so with sporting events I am behind a bit and sometimes get alerts on my phone before something occurs on my broadcast. But the price savings is so great that I'm willing to deal with that. We like the unlimited DVR in the cloud also..

Now, I watch (free) YouTubeTV all the time....is there a subscription option that allows games to be seen? I don't mind the delay thing, as I seldom watch a game live anyways. Does YouTubeTV have a DVR option? Forgive the ignorance--i'm still remembering the Good Ol' Days of 3 channels and rabbit ears. Razz

We have a subscription to YouTubeTV and I think it's about $50 a month. They've got most of the sports channels I want. We have a roku we use to watch it on our TV and I watch it on my phone and laptop also. You can have up to 6 accounts. As cth mentioned, the biggest advantages to me for it is it includes local channels and unlimited cloud DVR. I have it set to record every Women's College Basketball game and every Marquette men's basketball game.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/13/19 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
The YouTubeTV advantage, imo, is that it has local channels and unlimited cloud DVR.

You can program it to record every women's college basketball game that airs. That's pretty cool.

ACC Network, SEC Network, The Longhorn Netowrk, Pac-12, beIN SPORTS, NBA TV, ACC Network Extra, MLB Network, SEC Network+, ESPNU, ESPNEWS, Tennis Channel, NHL Network, MLB Network Strikezone, ESPN Goal Line, ESPN Bases Loaded, Outside Television, Stadium.

I had Hulu Live TV for the last several months, but switched to Sling Blue today. I also have YouTubeTV.

You might want to double check that. It looks to me like if you have orange you get some of those channels and then if you have blue, you get a couple that you get with orange and then some different channels...crappy channels IMO (except for maybe the Olympic channel).

I think that you might want orange. That's the one that looks like it has ACC, SEC, PAC12 and Longhorn.

When I looked at their site a couple of weeks ago, it had that you could add four extras for $20.00. Sports and DVR were two that I was going to get and then a couple more, but I'm not seeing that offer now.

I just replaced my tv with Roku smart tvs and have them hooked up to antennas for local channels. Seems to work well so far!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/13/19 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I finally got rid of DirecTV a few months and went with YouTubeTV and added Starz and Showtime and paying around $70/mo maybe. Way less than my DTV was costing me and I am much happier. I travel a lot and can basically bring my TV with me wherever I go, including TV shows that I record. The unlimited DVR is pretty awesome as well as having the local channels. There are a ton of sports channels as well.

I took a lot of time looking at options and YouTubeTV seemed to give me the most bang for the buck for what I wanted, which were my local channels along with a lot of sports channels.

I was having an issue with one of my brand new LG TV's but upon calling them (which, by the way, was MUCH, MUCH more pleasant than dealing with anyone from Comcast/XFinity or DirecTV), they resolved my issue and because I was dealing with a glitch on their end, they gave me 2 free weeks without me even asking.

Needless to say, I am a fan and glad I finally made the decision to cut the cord.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/13/19 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We have cable (Comcast xfinity), Apple TV, and Amazon Fire. Damned if I'll pay any extra after that. We have to have the cable because fiance works from home (computer systems engineer for a national company) and has to have a reliable connection so it's a bundle. The other two were added a couple of years ago. Still don't get a lot of good games.

PostPosted: 12/13/19 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just picked up YouTubeTV to see if I wanted to drop cable. I'm very impressed! I've never had a DVR before. The idea that I selected NCAAW as a favorite means that it's recording every NCAA WBB game on BTN, ACC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, FOXSports and FS1 for me is amazing. I use AppleTV and Roku depending on the location in our house. I've also made a favorite for the BTN Women's Sports Report and some regular tv shows.

I still subscribe to Michigan-only BTN+ and ESPN+ separately.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/13/19 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I assume both swing and youtubetv depend on having a good internet connection to begin with?

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 12/13/19 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I assume both swing and youtubetv depend on having a good internet connection to begin with?

Yes.

Thanks for all that input, folks. I do believe I'm gonna go with the youtube TV thang. Cool

PostPosted: 12/13/19 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you go with sling TV. Orange is the one with all the ESPN channels along with the ACC, SEC, Big 12 and Pac 12 stations. That is with ESPN + as well. Blue has the Fox sports channels. If you want Pac 12 Sling offers 6 Pac 12 channels so if it is being aired you get it. I took the Youtube TV free trial and I might switch to that once basketball season is over. I want all 6 Pac 12 stations. All of them are month to month so it is easy to switch back and forth.

PostPosted: 12/14/19 2:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is one more streaming service to mention and that is FUBO that runs about $55/month. For us WBB fans, it would not be feasible. Can you believe this -- no ESPN's. The problem they say lies in the bundling with Disney channels that would drive the cost too high. Sounds weird.

I'm giving Sling a try but I failed to include "Blue" (the Fox channels) so I will probably need to upgrade. I'll wait to see if any good games start coming up on Fox.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/14/19 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Absolutely.

I forgot to mention I also get SEC.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/14/19 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

You might want to double check that. It looks to me like if you have orange you get some of those channels and then if you have blue, you get a couple that you get with orange and then some different channels...crappy channels IMO (except for maybe the Olympic channel).

I think that you might want orange. That's the one that looks like it has ACC, SEC, PAC12 and Longhorn.

When I looked at their site a couple of weeks ago, it had that you could add four extras for $20.00. Sports and DVR were two that I was going to get and then a couple more, but I'm not seeing that offer now.

I just replaced my tv with Roku smart tvs and have them hooked up to antennas for local channels. Seems to work well so far!

You are correct. Thanks for pointing that out. I listed all the channels possible with Sports Extra and didn't specify which are within each "color". I've switched to Orange to get LHN. Imo, the Sports Extra should be the same for both packages. Very Happy

I think I'm pretty well covered for WCB. (I refuse to buy a BTN+ sub.)

PostPosted: 12/14/19 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
There is one more streaming service to mention and that is FUBO that runs about $55/month. For us WBB fans, it would not be feasible. Can you believe this -- no ESPN's. The problem they say lies in the bundling with Disney channels that would drive the cost too high. Sounds weird.

I'm giving Sling a try but I failed to include "Blue" (the Fox channels) so I will probably need to upgrade. I'll wait to see if any good games start coming up on Fox.

If I recall, I think FUBO is mostly soccer right? I feel like they carried almost all soccer leagues around the world on various channels.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/14/19 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

You are correct. Thanks for pointing that out. I listed all the channels possible with Sports Extra and didn't specify which are within each "color". I've switched to Orange to get LHN. Imo, the Sports Extra should be the same for both packages. Very Happy

I think I'm pretty well covered for WCB. (I refuse to buy a BTN+ sub.)

You're welcome.

I might have to re-consider YouTubeTV. I want BTN and somehow missed it when I first looked at it. I'll need to go back and compare again.

I was looking around my free Roku channels last night and saw several for universities and conferences that mentioned live and on demand sports/events. I'll have to keep it in mind for later. There are TONS of free channels!!!! Pretty much anything you could want that would be free. Wink

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/17/19 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Forgot to say what I really hated about HuluLiveTV: you cannot FFWD through recorded commercials.

WTF Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 12/17/19 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Forgot to say what I really hated about HuluLiveTV: you cannot FFWD through recorded commercials.
WTF Rolling Eyes

Yeah, that was one of several factors I found irritating about Hulu.

However, I must say: I am stymied by YouTube Live. I went online to subscribe (14 day free trial--yay, right?). I click on everything clickable, submit all needed numbers, etc., etc., AND CANNOT PULL IT UP ON MY SMART TV. I've viewed the tutorials to accomplish that, all to no avail.

I've never had this with Hulu, Amazon Prime, you name it. Any clues for the clueless??

PostPosted: 12/18/19 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
WTF Rolling Eyes

However, I must say: I am stymied by YouTube Live. I went online to subscribe (14 day free trial--yay, right?). I click on everything clickable, submit all needed numbers, etc., etc., AND CANNOT PULL IT UP ON MY SMART TV. I've viewed the tutorials to accomplish that, all to no avail.

I've never had this with Hulu, Amazon Prime, you name it. Any clues for the clueless??

I take it you don't have a roku or firestick? I go thru those. Can't hep ya.

PostPosted: 12/18/19 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
WTF Rolling Eyes

I take it you don't have a roku or firestick?
I go thru those. Can't hep ya.

I DO have a roku. Confused

PostPosted: 12/18/19 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Search youtubetv

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: