RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

No fans at NCAA Tournament
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/11/20 3:52 pm    ::: No fans at NCAA Tournament Reply Reply with quote

Wow.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28885422/ncaa-says-tournament-go-fans

Big enough it seems worth it's own thread.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/11/20 3:52 pm    ::: Re: No fans at NCAA Tournament Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"The NCAA continues to assess the impact of COVID-19 in consultation with public health officials and our COVID-19 advisory panel," NCAA president Mark Emmert said in a statement. "Based on their advice and my discussions with the NCAA Board of Governors, I have made the decision to conduct our upcoming championship events, including the Division I men's and women's basketball tournaments, with only essential staff and limited family attendance.

"While I understand how disappointing this is for all fans of our sports, my decision is based on the current understanding of how COVID-19 is progressing in the United States. This decision is in the best interest of public health, including that of coaches, administrators, fans and, most importantly, our student-athletes. We recognize the opportunity to compete in an NCAA national championship is an experience of a lifetime for the students and their families. Today, we will move forward and conduct championships consistent with the current information and will continue to monitor and make adjustments as needed."

Brinx

PostPosted: 03/11/20 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wild! But I suppose it's good to see some are taking this seriously. Better safe than sorry.

Glad that some family will still be allowed. Bummer for the players and fans, but hopefully this is good for slowing down the spread of the virus. I can't imagine how odd it will be for these players going from huge loud crowds to a dozen or so spectators. Crazy times.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/11/20 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not sure whether or not this was necessary, but I fully understand the decision. Without any federal leadership this seems like a rational way to go. The last thing we want is to have the spread of Covid-19 accelerated by a basketball tournament. While there is certainly a hit to the NCAAs finances, the TV revenues are so large that the hit will be muted. Indeed, the lack of travel may very well improve the TV ratings.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/11/20 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There has been federal leadership. The United States is set up for more local control from the state and local levels. On Sunday the NCAA stated that on the first 4 are played "on campus" (for the men) You have to understand that people will be traveling throughout the country to watch these games. If they were more regional games, they may have been able to do it.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/11/20 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Current information has projected that the virus should peak nationally by the end of the month. Crappy timing. Mad

PostPosted: 03/11/20 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Current information has projected that the virus should peak nationally by the end of the month. Crappy timing. Mad

I do wonder if they can change their minds by the Final Four if things start to settle down.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/11/20 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Doesn’t say exactly where the games will be played.

They might decide to consolidate some of the 16 sites to limit exposure possibilities for TV crews and arena staff.

They probably are looking at the options.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 03/11/20 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m sorry, but this is freaking ridiculous. The vast majority of people are not going to get this, and when do people do get it, it is like a flu. Way, way, way more people got the flu or will get the flu and probably die from the flu. And do we shut down America because of the flu? Garbage. What a horrible thing to do to the players. These young ladies have worked so hard for so long and earned this, and some overhyped media a-holes are destroying their dreams.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/11/20 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://womensnit.com/news/2020/3/10/general-coronavirus-update.aspx

Quote:
The Postseason WNIT is continuing with its standard preparation in advance of the event. There are a number of considerations in play regarding format, schedule, location and fan presence, and we will issue updates on these questions as warranted. Unless stated otherwise here, we will select our field as originally planned, on Monday, March 16, after the NCAA women's tournament has determined its field of teams.

PostPosted: 03/11/20 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Where did you see this prediction?

China and South Korea may have gone past a peak but we aren't doing what either of them did. China locked down 60 million people and South Korea did large amounts of testing.

Last edited by tfan on 03/11/20 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 03/11/20 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
I’m sorry, but this is freaking ridiculous. The vast majority of people are not going to get this, and when do people do get it, it is like a flu. Way, way, way more people got the flu or will get the flu and probably die from the flu. And do we shut down America because of the flu? Garbage. What a horrible thing to do to the players. These young ladies have worked so hard for so long and earned this, and some overhyped media a-holes are destroying their dreams.

What is going to prevent the vast majority of people from getting it? There are estimates that 20% of the people who get it require hospital treatment, with 25% of those needing to be put in the ICU. It overwhelmed hospitals in Wuhan, China and Northern Italy. That seems worse than the flu.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/11/20 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:

What is going to prevent the vast majority of people from getting it? There are estimates that 20% of the people who get it require hospital treatment, with 25% of those needing to be put in the ICU. It overwhelmed hospitals in Wuhan, China and Northern Italy. That seems worse than the flu.

The estimates I saw were that 20% would have severe symptoms resembling pneumonia, not necessarily needing ICU treatment but possibly/likely requiring hospitalization. (Those came from my state public health department in a communique aimed at nurses, btw.) That is quite manageable. Many people getting this may have symptoms so mild they don't even know they have it and even think they have a cold (COVID-19 is in the same virus family as the common cold). Also, China may have locked down 60 million people, but they locked the barn door WAY after the horse was gone. They were in denial for some time while people got sick. South Korea has done a far better job of managing this, as has Taiwan. Italy completely blew it.

I think it's reasonable to be cautious. I don't think it's reasonable to go overboard and I certainly don't think the widespread panic and overreaction I'm seeing in some areas is the right action either. Harvard did a really dumb thing, from what I read on Twitter. Apparently they sent their students home and shut the dorms without making a provision for international students who had nowhere to go and couldn't go home. OOPSY!!! They had to really scramble when one of them put this out on Twitter. Finally they decided to quarantine them in their dorms. Rolling Eyes

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/11/20 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So the tournament will look like the great majority of WCB games, right?

PostPosted: 03/11/20 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

definitely puts a lid on where teams are sent - no one will really have 'home court advantage' i like it, for this year anyways.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/11/20 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:

I think it's pragmatic and prudent.

PostPosted: 03/11/20 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:

The only people to say Covid-19 is "just like the flu" are you and Trump and he knows jacksh*t about nothing! This disease is more lethal and contagious than a regular flu. Here's a link to an actual expert on this pandemic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcJDpV-igjs&feature=emb_logo

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/11/20 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel bad for teams who don't normally get to host and were going to get to do so this year like DePaul. I also saw speculation on the DePaul messageboard about moving games from Wintrust Arena to their on-campus McGrath-Phillips Arena - that would seem to make sense if you aren't allowing fans.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/11/20 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If no fans, they might as well play in a local high school gym. But actually, while part of the home court advantage is the fans, another part is familiarity with the lighting and the rims.

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 03/12/20 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I understand it, the goal is to not overwhelm the health care system with a large number of cases at one time. By limiting contact, it spreads out the impact.

Certain diseases spread quickly and infect a large percentage of the population. The Black Death killed about half the people in Europe at the time, according to recent estimates, and though obviously this virus isn't nearly as deadly, the point is that tens of millions of people could come down with it, and even if a low percentage require hospitalization, that's still more than our system can handle if they all need it at the same time.

I don't think it's a question of controlling it, as there's no immunity to it, but rather just making it as manageable as possible.

PostPosted: 03/12/20 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:

From what I've heard some venues, such as the Big 12 MBB tournament, are allotting 125 tickets per team. Hoopsmom, I'm sure you will still be able to see the games.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/12/20 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://theconversation.com/coronavirus-ten-reasons-why-you-ought-not-to-panic-132941

Sent to me by sis-in-law, who is an MD. Should ease your minds a bit.

PostPosted: 03/12/20 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
http://theconversation.com/coronavirus-ten-reasons-why-you-ought-not-to-panic-132941

Sent to me by sis-in-law, who is an MD. Should ease your minds a bit.

Well-written, and (hopefully!) scientifically sound.

I have seen this type of comparison before:
Quote:
The 1918 flu pandemic caused more than 25 million deaths in less than 25 weeks. Could something similar happen now? Probably not; we have never been better prepared to fight a pandemic.

I had long been intrigued by that event (my parents lived through it), and am encouraged to remember that we, as a global community, made it through that crisis, despite a far greater loss of life.

PostPosted: 03/12/20 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big Ten, SEC, American have all canceled the rest of their MBB Tournaments. I think this is probably at the direction of the NCAA as they are getting set to cancel or at least postpone the NCAA Tournaments.

* Edit - ACC, A-10 and the WAC did as well

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/12/20 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The MAC cancelled its men's and women's tournaments. The women had completed the quarterfinal round yesterday. The announcement came as teams were warming up for game 1 of the men's quarters today.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: