RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

This weeks surprises

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamecock1

PostPosted: 11/18/19 6:27 am    ::: This weeks surprises Reply Reply with quote

I like the idea of a place to give a week to week opinion of the games "that" week. 11/10 to 11/17 brought us the Notre Dame is not a Top 25 and neither is Texas...Texas A&M and Stanford had some "I don't understand" close games. It's been a crazy start for a lot of traditional powers but the Oregon, Baylor, UCONN, train keeps rolling along with a very good South Carolina (biased) and Miss St looking ready to pounce.....what say you....

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/18/19 10:01 am    ::: Re: This weeks surprises Reply Reply with quote

Gamecock1 wrote:
I like the idea of a place to give a week to week opinion of the games "that" week. 11/10 to 11/17 brought us the Notre Dame is not a Top 25 and neither is Texas...Texas A&M and Stanford had some "I don't understand" close games. It's been a crazy start for a lot of traditional powers but the Oregon, Baylor, UCONN, train keeps rolling along with a very good South Carolina (biased) and Miss St looking ready to pounce.....what say you....

I'm actually surprised about how Maryland has started the season. I understand getting beaten by South Carolina, but they were never really in that game and they only scored 53 points. Then to go down by 20 to James Madison and have to rally and win. Strange for a team with a pre-season 1st team AA and a top 5 ranking.

On a good note, the surprise to me is Georgia Tech. Nell has quite the rebuilding job to do and she is off to a great start.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/18/19 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think increasing parity is pretty interesting. The B1G looked particularly vulnerable with Iowa, Penn St and OhSU all losing to mids. in the PAC both Stanford and OrSU struggled against mids. Arizona winning handily at Texas was a surprise to me. Who is the real #2 team in the B12? And facing Arizona Aari will not be fun for any P12 teams. I was also surprised ASU lost handily at Minny, after Minny's early loss to Mizzou St. But subsequently Mizzou St has shown they are a real team...so perhaps that loss wasn't as bad as it looked. In general, some strong showings by mids.

- Amanda Gorman
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/18/19 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it a surprise to anyone how completely JPM has destroyed Duke? We Duke fans can only hope that the disgusting Duke AD will not renew JPM's contract!

~rAf
linkster

PostPosted: 11/18/19 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Is it a surprise to anyone how completely JPM has destroyed Duke? We Duke fans can only hope that the disgusting Duke AD will not renew JPM's contract!

Being a Giant football fan for 60 years I am familiar with the hiring and firing of coaches. I finally realized about 40 years ago that the problem was higher up in the orgamization. In the NYG's case it was/is ownership.

Duke fans might need to look to the AD's office for answers. JPM is just the result of decisions made there, and/or possibly at a higher level.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/18/19 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think increasing parity is pretty interesting. The B1G looked particularly vulnerable with Iowa, Penn St and OhSU all losing to mids.

Penn State losing to mids hasn't been unusual the last couple of seasons (this year Rider and LaSalle, last year Stony Brook and Duquesne); but the Iowa at UNI 20-point game was a stunner to me. I guess if I'd noticed that they only beat North Alabama by 5 in the previous game it wouldn't have stunned me as much, LOL.

Akron gave Michigan a scare on Saturday, too.

The top mids overall are looking strong. Missouri State, Drake, South Dakota, etc. are making a name for themselves.

I was disappointed to see Central Michigan bomb at Western Kentucky, 93-58.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 11/19/19 3:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

As a fan of the school where your AD used to be, I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

He loves setting up nice contracts. He isn't so keen on pulling the trigger.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 11/19/19 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCSB defeated USC last night, 57-46....

Howee

PostPosted: 11/19/19 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still say Cleveland State's win over Hofstra was the result of pulled strings by Cal.... Evil or Very Mad
( Razz Laughing Laughing )

THAT aside, I'd agree with the takes on MD and Stanford....bit surprising.

TN is a wee bit stronger than I initially anticipated, coming out of the gate--that's a good thing.

OH State losing to Ohio was also a bit....refreshing.

I can't wait to see IN playing, too, with their hype as "best IN team in a long time".

USC losing to UCSB?? Didn't anticipate that, but I don't follow them that closely.

PostPosted: 11/19/19 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Oh raf, I hate this for you. She has literally destroyed Duke is right. I can't even imagine that they'd keep her at this point. Actually, if they do, can fans file a lawsuit against them for blatantly not caring about women's sports? That would be legendary.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/19/19 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Oh raf, I hate this for you. She has literally destroyed Duke is right. I can't even imagine that they'd keep her at this point. Actually, if they do, can fans file a lawsuit against them for blatantly not caring about women's sports? That would be legendary.

I can only think about when JPM is finally G-O-N-E and we can get back to our lovely trash talking!

Regarding the Duke fans. Way too many of them who mistakenly think they need to keep going to support current players. UGH. SO done with them! The way to support this program is for JPM to be gone asap. The only thing we fans can do is stay home since admin has not responded to player complaints, family complaints, or fan complaints. AD White is the worst thing to happen to women's sports. Period.

~rAf
PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/19/19 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This Purdue fan feels your pain ...

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/20/19 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I knew UWGB isn't as good as it's been the last decade or so, but they still were something like 35-8 against Marquette all-time heading into tonight's game and Marquette hadn't won in Green Bay since 2007. So I'm just a tad surprised by Marquette's 60-47 win at Green Bay tonight. Marquette was picked to finish 9th in the Big East - UWGB's next home game is 12/7 against DePaul who was picked to win the Big East...

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/20/19 6:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
So I knew UWGB isn't as good as it's been the last decade or so, but they still were something like 35-8 against Marquette all-time heading into tonight's game and Marquette hadn't won in Green Bay since 2007. So I'm just a tad surprised by Marquette's 60-47 win at Green Bay tonight. Marquette was picked to finish 9th in the Big East - UWGB's next home game is 12/7 against DePaul who was picked to win the Big East...

I watched a bit of this game. There were at least two GB players in boots on the bench. Not knowing their roster, I don’t know if they were impact players. That score was a far cry from the double OT win at CMU, 111-105 on the road.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 11/20/19 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

I watched a bit of this game. There were at least two GB players in boots on the bench. Not knowing their roster, I don’t know if they were impact players. That score was a far cry from the double OT win at CMU, 111-105 on the road.

I wondered a bout this as well, because I noticed Karly Murphy was out of the game for a large stretches last night. She is hands down their best player, and in the third quarter she was on the bench although she only had one foul. I’m wondering if she’s having problems related to her ACL surgery last year.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/20/19 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:

Go you mighty Gauchos ...

This one is pretty hard to believe, but we'll take it.

PostPosted: 11/20/19 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

The DeBils next opponent is Troy State out of Alabama. They just played Mississippi State and got blown up by 40 points but they put up 82 against the Bulldogs. I'm thinking this game is a tossup.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/20/19 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:

Shocked I guess Minyon is pretty happy with her choice atm.

- Amanda Gorman
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/20/19 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

The DeBils next opponent is Troy State out of Alabama. They just played Mississippi State and got blown up by 40 points but they put up 82 against the Bulldogs. I'm thinking this game is a tossup.

Duke will have to schedule Junior Colleges or Div II teams to get sure wins. Duke losing any game will not be a surprise.

~rAf
Speebs56

PostPosted: 11/22/19 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:

YES YES!! UCSB used to be a power in the Big West - when Mark French was there. Aside from Lindsey Gottlieb's short stint, they've been pretty bad since then.

Saw the Gauchos in the East Regionals v. UConn in 2004 and they gave the Huskies the best game of the regionals. Even the Huskie faithful liked the Gauchos!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: