Board Junkies Forums

Olympic Pre-Qualifiers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 11/28/19 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Randy wrote:
I'm not big fan of hers either. Besides - would let a player who missed the entire season with injury have a spot on the team? I don't think so. Razz

Anyway, I usually only root for rookies, or players early in their career. If Arike makes the team I'd reconsider, but even if she makes it they will nail her to the bench and let Taurasi and Bird stink it up some more. I don't like the coaches either.

You mean like Taurasi, Bird , and Diggins-Smith?

I guess Stewart is ruled out too then. Glad Randy’s on top of this stuff.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 11/28/19 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Randy wrote:
I'm not big fan of hers either. Besides - would let a player who missed the entire season with injury have a spot on the team? I don't think so. Razz

Anyway, I usually only root for rookies, or players early in their career. If Arike makes the team I'd reconsider, but even if she makes it they will nail her to the bench and let Taurasi and Bird stink it up some more. I don't like the coaches either.

You mean like Taurasi, Bird , and Diggins-Smith?

Exactly what I mean. Laughing

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/28/19 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Anyway, I usually only root for rookies, or players early in their career.

"Your rookie contract expired? Get out of my sight you low life!" Wink

PostPosted: 01/27/20 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Foshan group has been moved to Belgrade due to the health issues in China at the moment. Just in case anyone else is thinking about making the trip to one of these...

PostPosted: 01/29/20 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great Britain brings in a last minute ringer in Anigwe?
http://gb.basketball/2020/01/29/kristine-anigwe-joins-gb-for-olympic-qualifier-in-serbia/

Quote:
The London-born 6ft 4ins 22-year-old grew up in Phoenix, Arizona and was a first-round draft pick for the Connecticut Sun before moving to Dallas Wings where she played alongside new GB team-mate Karlie Samuelson.

Quote:
“It’s really quite exciting because I had never dreamed of playing in the Olympics, at least at my age, so having that chance to play with really good players on a really good team is a dream come true.”

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/29/20 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could be a very useful addition for us, but which - if any - of our 'foreigners' counts as naturalised now becomes important again. Adding Anigwe is less helpful if it forces you to subtract Samuelson.

PostPosted: 01/29/20 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Could be a very useful addition for us, but which - if any - of our 'foreigners' counts as naturalised now becomes important again. Adding Anigwe is less helpful if it forces you to subtract Samuelson.

Generally being born there tends to allow the person to be counted as non-naturalized, but we would probably need to know a lot more details about her specific situation.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/30/20 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Confirmed by the one guy who mostly makes his living by covering professional basketball in Britain that Anigwe got her UK passport before the age of 16, and therefore qualifies as a native. Which is good to hear Smile. We've never handed out passports to anyone that can play like some other countries, but we do have the advantage of more Americans/Australians/etc being randomly born here than are born in, say, Hungary. Nice to see that being taken advantage of on occasion.

ETA: I'm also wondering what the hell FIBA are going to do if the Chinese team are blocked by health/governmental authorities. The Chinese women's soccer team aren't being allowed out of their hotel rooms in Brisbane at the moment. If the basketball team hasn't already left for Serbia, they're probably going to be working on a tighter time-frame. Any kind of quarantine could make it hard to be ready in time for the games.

PostPosted: 01/30/20 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In regards to the Chinese National team, the soccer team arrived in Australia for their final round of qualifiers and are currently quarantined. They're supposed to start on Feb. 3(Monday).

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
awhom111

PostPosted: 02/01/20 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Confirmed by the one guy who mostly makes his living by covering professional basketball in Britain that Anigwe got her UK passport before the age of 16, and therefore qualifies as a native. Which is good to hear Smile. We've never handed out passports to anyone that can play like some other countries, but we do have the advantage of more Americans/Australians/etc being randomly born here than are born in, say, Hungary. Nice to see that being taken advantage of on occasion.

ETA: I'm also wondering what the hell FIBA are going to do if the Chinese team are blocked by health/governmental authorities. The Chinese women's soccer team aren't being allowed out of their hotel rooms in Brisbane at the moment. If the basketball team hasn't already left for Serbia, they're probably going to be working on a tighter time-frame. Any kind of quarantine could make it hard to be ready in time for the games.

Anigwe left her game today with an injury. Supposedly China left today for Serbia.
willtalk

PostPosted: 02/01/20 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps the Chinese can play their games in a giant bubble. Or they could wear hazmat protective clothing.

PostPosted: 02/05/20 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just a note that the games start tomorrow. From what I can see, only GB-China and GB-Korea are currently free on FIBA's YouTube channel, with every game listed at livebasketball.tv. But I believe you're at least getting some of them in the US via ESPN+ (maybe all?).

Opening game of the day is that GB-China game in Belgrade - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_dS1_zUsyo - at noon locally, which should be 6am US Eastern. Most of the games are in the evening in Europe, which means noon-ish and 2pm-ish tip-offs US Eastern time (including USA-Serbia at 2pm US ET tomorrow).

PostPosted: 02/05/20 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Just a note that the games start tomorrow. From what I can see, only GB-China and GB-Korea are currently free on FIBA's YouTube channel, with every game listed at livebasketball.tv. But I believe you're at least getting some of them in the US via ESPN+ (maybe all?).

Opening game of the day is that GB-China game in Belgrade - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_dS1_zUsyo - at noon locally, which should be 6am US Eastern. Most of the games are in the evening in Europe, which means noon-ish and 2pm-ish tip-offs US Eastern time (including USA-Serbia at 2pm US ET tomorrow).

All of them are listed on ESPN+ here.
miller40

PostPosted: 02/06/20 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did I really read this correctly? France defeated Australia?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/06/20 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:

Is that really that surprising? France and Spain have been consistently the best teams in Europe for a while, and Australia are pretty close to being a one-woman team. Barely an upset, especially considering it was on French soil.

In other news, Brazil are virtually out after losing to Puerto Rico in OT, Japan stuffed Sweden, Canada scraped past Belgium, and Yao Ming offered to buy me a pint because I looked so miserable after China just barely beat GB.

PostPosted: 02/06/20 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope you took him up on it! Smile

awhom111

PostPosted: 02/06/20 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Recap of all games in one place for those who have not seen the stats:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2020/02/olympic-qualifying-tournaments-day-1-february-6th/

Richyyy wrote:
miller40 wrote:

Is that really that surprising? France and Spain have been consistently the best teams in Europe for a while, and Australia are pretty close to being a one-woman team. Barely an upset, especially considering it was on French soil.

In other news, Brazil are virtually out after losing to Puerto Rico in OT, Japan stuffed Sweden, Canada scraped past Belgium, and Yao Ming offered to buy me a pint because I looked so miserable after China just barely beat GB.

Since you saw her live, any thoughts on whether Li Yuan is worthy of a late pick?
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/06/20 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Since you saw her live, any thoughts on whether Li Yuan is worthy of a late pick?

If she can shoot like that consistently, sure; if she can't, probably not. Most teams will probably think they can find a random small point guard to take a flier on without the complications of her also being Chinese, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me to see someone throw her name out there in the third round. FIBA has her listed at 5-7, which is clearly nonsense, but she can be fun. Maybe Atlanta takes her and tries to bring her over in a package with Li Yueru. Just think of all the human interest pieces that would be written about the little-and-large Lis coming to America.

PostPosted: 02/07/20 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

If she can shoot like that consistently, sure; if she can't, probably not. Most teams will probably think they can find a random small point guard to take a flier on without the complications of her also being Chinese, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me to see someone throw her name out there in the third round. FIBA has her listed at 5-7, which is clearly nonsense, but she can be fun. Maybe Atlanta takes her and tries to bring her over in a package with Li Yueru. Just think of all the human interest pieces that would be written about the little-and-large Lis coming to America.

Not so sure about Atlanta now. Loeffler's latest campaign commercial says the Chinese are going after American jobs.....

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/07/20 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

Not so sure about Atlanta now. Loeffler's latest campaign commercial says the Chinese are going after American jobs.....

Surely 2 of the 12 spots on the Dream going to Chinese people would just help to prove her point? Wink

PostPosted: 02/08/20 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like KOR beat GBR in another close one, 82-79.
So if my understanding is correct, in order for GBR to continue onto the Olympics, KOR would have to lose to CHN (probably a given) and GBR would have to beat ESP (tough but not impossible).

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/08/20 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We can also still qualify if Korea win the early game. All that changes is who we'd knock out and how much Spain will care.

PostPosted: 02/08/20 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
We can also still qualify if Korea win the early game. All that changes is who we'd knock out and how much Spain will care.

I'm hoping Spain decides to just roll over and rest. They're alrmost qualified, so why kill themselves vs. GB. Of course, if Korea wins the early game, then the Spain vs. GB is really meaningless.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/08/20 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I'm hoping Spain decides to just roll over and rest. They're alrmost qualified, so why kill themselves vs. GB. Of course, if Korea wins the early game, then the Spain vs. GB is really meaningless.

No it's not. If Korea win the early game Spain-GB becomes a straight playoff for the third spot. Winner takes all.

PostPosted: 02/08/20 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Recap of today's games:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2020/02/olympic-qualifying-tournaments-day-2-february-8th/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: