RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

AP Poll
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59975
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/30/19 11:33 am    ::: AP Poll Reply Reply with quote

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/national/story/2019-10-30/the-ap-top-25-womens-basketball-poll

Oregon #1

Baylor #2

UConn #5

Tennessee unranked



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 8887
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/30/19 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Confused on Lville & South Carolina being ranked so high ? Im guessing the transfers are expected to take the cards back to the final 4 ?



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Gamecock1



Joined: 02 Dec 2018
Posts: 4



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/30/19 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My first post...Louisville has a lot of talent as does South Carolina. I think these polls are what the "experts" think will be the end of the season rankings. I imagine it's hard to get a fix on teams this early on. South Carolina has a few proven players to go along with that historic freshman class. Saxon is an overlooked players and Grissett was the No. 23 prospect and has had a great off season. I don't think either is ranked too high as of now...but you could make the argument since the games haven't been played...lol...


Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 804
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/30/19 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would say that right now USC should be more in the 15-10 range than in the top 10. There's a lot of great talent on the roster, but it's more on paper right now due to much of that talent being young and inexperienced.

The team needs to show it can gel quickly and all the pieces come together early in the season: USC started really slow last season which sort of stunted the season results overall. We'll have to wait and see once the season begins...


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 12364
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/30/19 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecock1 wrote:
My first post....


Welcome to Reb's, Gamecock! Cool

Texas' and Indiana's height of rank surprises me, but....I can only hope it's real. I enjoy following both of them.



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
PRballer



Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 2302



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/31/19 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read a Doug Feinberg tweet that 15 different schools have been pre-season #1 since the AP poll began. Does anyone know where we can find which 15 schools? I can take a guess but wondering if this is documented anywhere. Here are the 15 I would guess....asterisks indicate I'm not so confident.

1. Connecticut
2. Texas
3. Tennessee
4. Stanford
5. Baylor
6. Old Dominion
7. Duke
8. Notre Dame
9. Maryland*
10. Louisiana Tech
11. Virginia*
12. North Carolina*
13. LSU
14. Oregon
15. USC*


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59975
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/31/19 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can find all the AP polls at the end of this:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/w_basketball_RB/2020/D1.pdf

The 15 are

Baylor
Connecticut
Delta State
Duke
Georgia
Louisiana Tech
Maryland
Notre Dame
Old Dominion
Oregon
Stanford
Tennessee
Texas
USC
Virginia



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
PRballer



Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 2302



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/31/19 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, pilight. For someone reason I thought Augustus and crew would have had a #1 in 2004/2005/2006 but Pat wasn't having that! Good to know and thanks.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52997



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/18/19 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s sad to see ND leave the poll.
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 804
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/18/19 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
I would say that right now USC should be more in the 15-10 range than in the top 10. There's a lot of great talent on the roster, but it's more on paper right now due to much of that talent being young and inexperienced.

The team needs to show it can gel quickly and all the pieces come together early in the season: USC started really slow last season which sort of stunted the season results overall. We'll have to wait and see once the season begins...



South Carolina moves ahead of Texas A&M, and into the top 5. The Gamecocks may not have another tight game until they face Baylor on the 30th - perhaps Washington St. may make a run at them. They would be 8-0 for that game unless they stumble along the way.

The team has been sporadic defensively but when they have turned it on, they have been dominating. They are turning the ball over too much thus far, and fouling too much, but inconsistency and turnovers are typical trademarks of younger teams.

The freshmen have all mostly shown their high prep ratings were justified - Amihere has still yet to have a good game, but she is still dealing with her ACL recovery and between that and doing double-duty for her country's national team I'm sure it's gotten her a bit bewildered right now.

Boston is in solid running for SEC if not national freshman of the year: Cooke is a major competitor for her with the SEC one - she needs to cut down on her turnovers, but she's really pushing the boundaries with attacking the goal. She's a little less frenetic but better finishing version of Bianca Cuevas-Moore thus far. Beal has been struggling mightily with her shooting - she finally had a strong offensive game, relatively speaking, going 3-6 for 10 pts, but she's the team's leading rebounder right now instead of Boston, at 8.5 rpg, and is 2nd in assists per game on the team.

So the team has offensive depth in a way they haven't had since Davis and Gray joined the roster, and when Wilson and Coates came off the bench for half of games. Those were the best Gamecock teams under Staley.

But it's still only 4 games into the season - still looks much better than the first few games last season. I doubt we'll be 4-4 after the first 8 games, this year...


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5524
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/18/19 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good to see Tennessee back. I do think Maryland should fall farther...they barely eked out a win over JMU and just don't look that sharp generally, besides which the B1G as a whole is looking pretty sad. #9? Really, ESPN?



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
adamj95



Joined: 09 May 2014
Posts: 1764
Location: East Grand Forks, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/18/19 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
It’s sad to see ND leave the poll.
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings


How long has it been since ND wasn't ranked?



_________________
4 time WNBA Champion, 3rd all time in Assists, Minnesota's own: LINDSAY WHALEN.
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59975
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/18/19 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Shades wrote:
It’s sad to see ND leave the poll.
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings


How long has it been since ND wasn't ranked?


12 years



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
adamj95



Joined: 09 May 2014
Posts: 1764
Location: East Grand Forks, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/18/19 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
Shades wrote:
It’s sad to see ND leave the poll.
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings


How long has it been since ND wasn't ranked?


12 years


Dang. Tough times at ND.



_________________
4 time WNBA Champion, 3rd all time in Assists, Minnesota's own: LINDSAY WHALEN.
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25841



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/18/19 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

would love to see more mids...Missouri State, Drake, South Dakota get into the poll.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3847
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/18/19 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Good to see Tennessee back. I do think Maryland should fall farther...they barely eked out a win over JMU and just don't look that sharp generally, besides which the B1G as a whole is looking pretty sad. #9? Really, ESPN?


To be clear this is the AP, not ESPN.


CBiebel



Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 802
Location: PA


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/19/19 3:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
It’s sad to see ND leave the poll.
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings


ND will be back. Maybe this year, probably next year. We knew it would be a rough season, made even worse by early season injuries.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52997



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/25/19 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan drops off the latest poll. Arizona joins at #24.
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4219



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/25/19 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USF loses at Baylor and moves up one position.


Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 804
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/25/19 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
I would say that right now USC should be more in the 15-10 range than in the top 10. There's a lot of great talent on the roster, but it's more on paper right now due to much of that talent being young and inexperienced.

The team needs to show it can gel quickly and all the pieces come together early in the season: USC started really slow last season which sort of stunted the season results overall. We'll have to wait and see once the season begins...



South Carolina moves ahead of Texas A&M, and into the top 5. The Gamecocks may not have another tight game until they face Baylor on the 30th - perhaps Washington St. may make a run at them. They would be 8-0 for that game unless they stumble along the way.

The team has been sporadic defensively but when they have turned it on, they have been dominating. They are turning the ball over too much thus far, and fouling too much, but inconsistency and turnovers are typical trademarks of younger teams.

The freshmen have all mostly shown their high prep ratings were justified - Amihere has still yet to have a good game, but she is still dealing with her ACL recovery and between that and doing double-duty for her country's national team I'm sure it's gotten her a bit bewildered right now.

Boston is in solid running for SEC if not national freshman of the year: Cooke is a major competitor for her with the SEC one - she needs to cut down on her turnovers, but she's really pushing the boundaries with attacking the goal. She's a little less frenetic but better finishing version of Bianca Cuevas-Moore thus far. Beal has been struggling mightily with her shooting - she finally had a strong offensive game, relatively speaking, going 3-6 for 10 pts, but she's the team's leading rebounder right now instead of Boston, at 8.5 rpg, and is 2nd in assists per game on the team.

So the team has offensive depth in a way they haven't had since Davis and Gray joined the roster, and when Wilson and Coates came off the bench for half of games. Those were the best Gamecock teams under Staley.

But it's still only 4 games into the season - still looks much better than the first few games last season. I doubt we'll be 4-4 after the first 8 games, this year...


My apologies regarding Indiana in my above comments - they are currently ranked 17th and the Gamecocks play them one day before facing Washington St., who is still going to be a formidable opponent, at 4-0 currently. So Indiana on Thursday, WSU Friday, and we may be worn out by the time we face Baylor on Saturday......


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52997



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/25/19 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
So Indiana on Thursday, WSU Friday, and we may be worn out by the time we face Baylor on Saturday......


I’m confused by this post. Both SC and Baylor are in the Paradise Jam together. Both play the same opponents on different days. Both play three games in three games. Why would SC be any more tired out than Baylor?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4219



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/30/19 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like the AP voters are going to have to redo their lists, from top to bottom.

top 25 losers

1.Oregon
2.Baylor
5.S Carolina
10. Miss St
17.Indiana
18.Syracuse
19.Miami
21.S Florida

And I may have missed a couple. It's almost like the Mens side.




Last edited by linkster on 12/01/19 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 804
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/01/19 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
So Indiana on Thursday, WSU Friday, and we may be worn out by the time we face Baylor on Saturday......


I’m confused by this post. Both SC and Baylor are in the Paradise Jam together. Both play the same opponents on different days. Both play three games in three games. Why would SC be any more tired out than Baylor?


I'm confused by your confusion: I never said that SC would be any more tired out than Baylor - only that SC would be worn out by the time they faced Baylor.....

Question


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59975
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/01/19 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon’s loss paves way for new No. 1

https://apnews.com/9c1f4facd92c4d008c3da5ea36c9249c


Quote:
Saturday marked only the third time since the AP women’s basketball Top 25 became a writer’s poll before the 1994-95 season that the top two teams were beaten on the same day, and the first time in the regular season. The previous occasions were in the 2011 Final Four and on March 7, 2007, when No. 1 Duke lost to N.C. State in the ACC Tournament semifinals and second-ranked Tennessee fell to LSU in the SEC Tournament semis.


The 2011 losers were #1 UConn and #2 Stanford



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
Hoopsmom



Joined: 05 Apr 2017
Posts: 210



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/01/19 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#12 Florida State is kicking a$$ on #6 Texas A&M... with 3:30 left, they are up 75-56.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin