RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AP Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 12/01/19 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
#12 Florida State is kicking a$$ on #6 Texas A&M... with 3:30 left, they are up 75-56.

You (and others) should make these kind of comments over in the live game forum, before the unappreciated efforts being made there go away.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SDHoops

PostPosted: 12/01/19 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For what it's worth...the USD Coyotes beat the Ohio State Buckeyes worse than UConn did!!

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 12/02/19 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:
#12 Florida State is kicking a$$ on #6 Texas A&M... with 3:30 left, they are up 75-56.

You (and others) should make these kind of comments over in the live game forum, before the unappreciated efforts being made there go away.

I made the comment here because of their ranks. Also, I totally forgot about the other site. 😂. Now I’m excited because I have a lot more posts I can follow!

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/02/19 7:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Oregon’s loss paves way for new No. 1

https://apnews.com/9c1f4facd92c4d008c3da5ea36c9249c

Quote:
Saturday marked only the third time since the AP women’s basketball Top 25 became a writer’s poll before the 1994-95 season that the top two teams were beaten on the same day, and the first time in the regular season. The previous occasions were in the 2011 Final Four and on March 7, 2007, when No. 1 Duke lost to N.C. State in the ACC Tournament semifinals and second-ranked Tennessee fell to LSU in the SEC Tournament semis.

The 2011 losers were #1 UConn and #2 Stanford

The 1st legit sign of parity in WCB?

PostPosted: 12/02/19 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:

I appreciate your efforts on that, Shades, but as before, I'd love to see a few selected game threads on this forum rather than a whole bunch on the other one.

And then if someone wanted to bring up a particular game, they could start a thread here.

Again, you work hard on this site, and it's appreciated.

PostPosted: 12/02/19 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. Stanford (23)
2. Louisville (5)
3. Oregon
4. UConn (2)
5. Oregon St.
6. South Carolina
7. Baylor
8. Florida St.
9. Maryland
10. Mississippi St.
11. UCLA
12. Texas A&M
13. NC State
14. Indiana
15. Kentucky
16. DePaul
17. Tennessee
18. Gonzaga
19. Michigan St.
20. Arizona
21. Miami
22. Missouri St.
23. Arkansas
24. Michigan
25. LSU
Others receiving votes: Syracuse 29, Florida Gulf Coast 28, South Dakota 27, West Virginia 24, Minnesota 10, Notre Dame 5, North Carolina 5, Rutgers 3, Northwestern 3, Purdue 2, Colorado 1, Creighton 1, TCU 1, Drake 1.
Phil

PostPosted: 12/02/19 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
Saturday marked only the third time since the AP women’s basketball Top 25 became a writer’s poll before the 1994-95 season that the top two teams were beaten on the same day, and the first time in the regular season. The previous occasions were in the 2011 Final Four and on March 7, 2007, when No. 1 Duke lost to N.C. State in the ACC Tournament semifinals and second-ranked Tennessee fell to LSU in the SEC Tournament semis.

The 2011 losers were #1 UConn and #2 Stanford

And this is the first time ever that the two losses were by double digits.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/02/19 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brutal week. We totally don't deserve to be #1, but I guess we can enjoy it for a week. Not sure how a team that struggled to beat Cal Baptist can be #1. I think any of these top teams can beat each other on any given night. But I'm still betting on Oregon come March. And glad to see Texas A&M drop - a team that is totally reliant on one player shouldn't be top 10.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/02/19 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Brutal week. We totally don't deserve to be #1, but I guess we can enjoy it for a week. Not sure how a team that struggled to beat Cal Baptist can be #1.

Stanford also struggled against Gonzaga in OT, but that's basketball.

With 23 first place votes out of 30, Stanford will stay firmly at #1 until they lose. Though upsets are always possible, losing shouldn't be a big risk with the Cardinal's schedule until the mid-January road trip into Eugene and Corvallis.
Shades

PostPosted: 12/02/19 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Stanford struggled with Cal Baptist and Gonzaga, how is it inconceivable that they could lose to Ohio St, Tennessee, or even Texas?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/02/19 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
inconceivable

Who said that?
Howee

PostPosted: 12/02/19 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
1. Stanford (23)
2. Louisville (5)
3. Oregon
4. UConn (2)
5. Oregon St.
6. South Carolina
7. Baylor Shocked
8. Florida St.
9. Maryland
10. Mississippi St.

Well, DANG. Baylor was a bit 'brutalized' here, no? I mean, they lost to a #5 (3 slots below them) and drop 5 places; Oregon loses to a #8 (7 slots below them) only drops 2 places. And Baylor was playing without Cox--no breaks for that apparently. Shocked I guess it all speaks to the rather INexact art of rankings. Laughing

Being a *former* Stanford fan (yes, Myrtle drove me off), I say let 'em enjoy their moment in the sun.

Inévitablement, les canards voleront Cool

PostPosted: 12/02/19 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
1. Stanford (23)
2. Louisville (5)
3. Oregon
4. UConn (2)
5. Oregon St.
6. South Carolina
7. Baylor Shocked
8. Florida St.
9. Maryland
10. Mississippi St.

Well, DANG. Baylor was a bit 'brutalized' here, no? I mean, they lost to a #5 (3 slots below them) and drop 5 places; Oregon loses to a #8 (7 slots below them) only drops 2 places. And Baylor was playing without Cox--no breaks for that apparently. Shocked I guess it all speaks to the rather INexact art of rankings. Laughing

Being a *former* Stanford fan (yes, Myrtle drove me off), I say let 'em enjoy their moment in the sun.

Inévitablement, les canards voleront Cool

If I had to hazard a guess here, I could say their argument might be that Louisville is undefeated still, while South Carolina lost to Indiana - albeit a very good team, and perhaps underrated, but it's still a loss. So they could argue that perhaps Louisville was also underrated, while Baylor was a bit overrated.

Further, Louisville has played a solid schedule to this point - around top 25 in SOS - and are still unbeaten. Baylor hadn't played anyone of note until they entered this tournament: their first 6 opponents have a combined record of 11-27 at this point. So again they may feel at this point that they had Baylor a bit higher than they should be - especially as long as Cox is out of the lineup....

So obviously as the rankings now indicate, the voters think Oregon lost to a better opponent at this time in Louisville, than Baylor lost to, in South Carolina. That's why Baylor dropped down further.

But I also agree with you about the "art" of the rankings. Here's an example: a Missouri graduate who works for the The Daily Times out of Maryville, TN. A reporter by the name of Taylor Vortherms voted South Carolina 15th after they defeated Baylor in this week's poll, by far the worst ranking of the Gamecocks from all the voters.

Is Vortherms simply a Gamecock Hater? Nope, she had them ranked 5th in last week's poll. Vortherm had Louisville 8th in last week's poll, and ranked them #2 in this one, so she is in line with the other voters there.

So what happened with the Gamecocks' ranking? Most likely she just didn't pay attention to what she was doing. She also had Baylor #2 in last weeks' poll, and has them still 4th in this weeks'. But the team who she had 5th last week, beats Baylor, and drops to 15th??

And this is the "science" of the weekly top 25 polls we get from the "press" in all sports......

Howee

PostPosted: 12/02/19 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you....that's adds a few more layers to the thinking one might consider happens in this process. Razz

PostPosted: 12/03/19 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

OMG! It turns out that despite what the Tennessee fans joked about 20 years ago, the UConn fans were right! There wasn't any Women's Basketball before 1995! Wink

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/03/19 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think when 3 of the top ten teams get beaten by 3 of the top twelve teams in one weekend, there's inevitably going to be at least one comparative shakeup in position that seems dubious. Texas A&M appropriately took the biggest hit for their loss.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/03/19 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

OMG! It turns out that despite what the Tennessee fans joked about 20 years ago, the UConn fans were right! There wasn't any Women's Basketball before 1995! Wink

Laughing

I kinda miss those (espn board) days.

PostPosted: 12/04/19 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Laughing

You miss Aurabass?

Phil

PostPosted: 12/06/19 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Laughing

You miss Aurabass?

I miss the color-coded "arguments"

RavenDog

PostPosted: 12/07/19 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas 4-4? Are they really this bad? Charlie, Geno will take you back. Yes, he's an asshole but he'll get you to the promise land.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/07/19 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
linkster wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Laughing

You miss Aurabass?

I miss the color-coded "arguments"

HA. I couldn't recall that dingdong's name. I wonder what he goes by now.

Will a Tenn win in Htfd draw the "color-coded clown" (hail Slew!) out?! Cool

PostPosted: 12/09/19 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Week 6: https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

Stanford, UConn, Oregon, Oregon St., South Carolina, Baylor, Louisville . . . . Seems in accordance with typical poll inertia and dynamics.

But, I ask you, who from Stanford would start on UConn or Oregon? Re UConn, I'd say both Lexie Hull or Haley Jones easily would start over Kyla Irwin, but that's about it. Re Oregon, maybe Kiana Williams would give Minyon Moore a tussle, but I'm not sure about that.
linkster

PostPosted: 12/09/19 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

December 8th poll out.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

Nice grouping from 2-5 with just 54 points separating them. Stanford is way ahead in 1st. Saw them look impressive beating Miss St in Victoria but then I just watched W Vir. take them down on Miss St's home court.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/09/19 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indiana surpassing Maryland in the polls is something I'd never imagined, but IU is looking really good!

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/10/19 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

But, I ask you, who from Stanford would start on UConn or Oregon? Re UConn, I'd say both Lexie Hull or Haley Jones easily would start over Kyla Irwin, but that's about it. Re Oregon, maybe Kiana Williams would give Minyon Moore a tussle, but I'm not sure about that.

you're pretty much right of course. I think a healthy Fingall might also give Ododa a run for her money. But we're unlikely to see a truly healthy Fingall all year. We are sorely lacking in the superstar department. And it's why it's doubtful we could win a championship. It's kind of weird because the 'leaders' I expected to shine this year haven't done a lot. Not sure what's up with Carrington, but last year's Carrington would also give your C.Williams a go. This year she's not played well and now missed the last three games so I'm assuming there is some nagging injury. They have two weeks 'off', if you can call finals 'off' so maybe she recovers some of her mojo. Or maybe she just can't thrive in the current atmosphere where Coach is continually throwing people on and off the floor like revolving doors. K. Williams is also a long way from being last year's player, who I though often carried the team and who I thought was better than Dangerfield. We have outstanding depth but still not comfortable with the revolving door thing. And it's more important than outsiders might realize for us to get Dodson back so we have some kind of experienced depth at post. I've heard rumors she'll be ready for league, so hope that is true.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: