RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Bracketology
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/05/20 4:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Frankly, I want no part of Creme's latest version. I would like CT to make the S16. Shocked

so who do you want to play?

When I posted above, CT's 2nd game would be vs either Tex or Duke.

Now it's Iowa or ASU. I'm better with that.

When's the last time you beat Duke by less than 30 pts?

2006 E8 Bridgeport? Just a guess.

PostPosted: 03/05/20 5:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Frankly, I want no part of Creme's latest version. I would like CT to make the S16. Shocked

Now it's Iowa or ASU. I'm better with that

You ARE joking, right....? Laughing

Should I be? I've seen ASU many times, Iowa a few. I give CT a slightly better chance against them.

Besides, I'd find a loss to either, rather than to Duke or Tex, more palatable.
Wink

Last edited by cthskzfn on 03/05/20 8:37 am; edited 2 times in total
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/05/20 5:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Now it's Iowa or ASU. I'm better with that.

When's the last time you beat Duke by less than 30 pts?

2006 E8 Bridgeport? Just a guess.

The answer, which I thought anybody should've known right away since I did, is the last time they played: 2018 S16 (though Duke was outscored 40-20 in the first half).

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/05/20 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Cal 71 ASU 67.....ha Razz

PostPosted: 03/06/20 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Cal 71 ASU 67.....ha Razz

Ohio St 87 Iowa 66 ....ha HA! Laughing

PostPosted: 03/09/20 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok, in Creme's latest posting (LAST UPDATED: 3/8/20 3:15 AM ET), he has UCLA as a #2 with a "moved down" arrow. However, there are no #1's or other #2's with a "moved up" arrow.

When I first saw it, I figured that UCLA was in some other region than overall #1 South Carolina and had moved down to a better #1 seed's bracket.

I mean, if some team falls another team has to rise, right?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/09/20 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Ok, in Creme's latest posting (LAST UPDATED: 3/8/20 3:15 AM ET), he has UCLA as a #2 with a "moved down" arrow. However, there are no #1's or other #2's with a "moved up" arrow.

When I first saw it, I figured that UCLA was in some other region than overall #1 South Carolina and had moved down to a better #1 seed's bracket.

I mean, if some team falls another team has to rise, right?

Currently, UCLA is down to a 3 and NC State is up to a 2 on his prediction.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/09/20 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He moved Marquette down to a 10 today after they’d been a 9 for a few weeks. While I much prefer the 10 to a 9, I can’t figure out why he’d move them down this morning. They’ve won 4 in a row, their RPI has improved over this stretch and they play in the BET final tonight.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/09/20 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
He moved Marquette down to a 10 today after they’d been a 9 for a few weeks. While I much prefer the 10 to a 9, I can’t figure out why he’d move them down this morning. They’ve won 4 in a row, their RPI has improved over this stretch and they play in the BET final tonight.

The move down for Marquette was due to the win by Iowa st over Baylor.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/09/20 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:

*shrug* Always said he was an idiot. The rest of you are free to disagree as you wish. Marquette played great last night, BTW.

PostPosted: 03/09/20 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is the first test of how much the Committee looks at underlying data. Gonzaga has a 5-1 record against quadrant 1, except that it only has 1 win over the top 40. Purdue is legit top 50 but the other 3 are Dayton, MTSU and Tennessee Martin, none of whom are actual top 50. If Gonzaga gets to host then the Committee has been fooled by it's own data and presentation.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/09/20 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

I wish when a team goes up or down you could click on the arrow and get an explanation for the move - I can't get anything to come up when I click the arrow at least. That makes sense for the move although I'm not thrilled with MU being the same seed as Creighton - MU has a better record, better RPI, better conference finish and went farther in the conference tournament. They both share a win over DePaul but Creighton's is a tad better as they won at DePaul I guess. But like I said before I'd actually prefer a 10 to an 8/9 for MU.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/09/20 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

*shrug* Always said he was an idiot. The rest of you are free to disagree as you wish. Marquette played great last night, BTW.

I don't think he's an idiot - I just was stumped as to why Marquette went down. The Iowa State win makes sense as a reason.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/09/20 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think what Creme does is important (or particularly interesting), but I certainly wouldn't call him an idiot or get mad at him for any reason.

The NCAA selection committee, not Creme, determines the brackets. His job is simply to try to predict what the selcom will ultimately do, using the selcom's own tools such as RPI plus their other multiple, and often conflicting, bracketing principles. He gives his best predictions throughout the season and naturally becomes more predictively accurate as the season comes to an end.
mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/09/20 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

I wish when a team goes up or down you could click on the arrow and get an explanation for the move - I can't get anything to come up when I click the arrow at least.

I miss that feature. He used to have it with a little blurb on each team, but it’s been a few years.

LitePal

PostPosted: 03/09/20 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="summertime blues"][quote="Marquette Fan"]He moved Marquette down to a 10 today after they’d been a 9 for a few weeks. While I much prefer the 10 to a 9, I can’t figure out why he’d move them down this morning. They’ve won 4 in a row, their RPI has improved over this stretch and they play in the BET final tonight.[/quote]

*shrug* Always said he was an idiot. The rest of you are free to disagree as you wish. Marquette played great last night, BTW.[/quote]

When you make statements like this, you shouldn't be surprised when no one listens to you when you speak of something really important like the Coronavirus.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/09/20 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

I wish when a team goes up or down you could click on the arrow and get an explanation for the move - I can't get anything to come up when I click the arrow at least.

I miss that feature. He used to have it with a little blurb on each team, but it’s been a few years.

Oh ok - thanks - good to know I'm not totally crazy Laughing .

Watch - they'll be back at a 9 with his next update after they lost tonight Smile. But seriously I'd love them to be a 10 or 11 instead of the 8/9. But I'm most excited about the fact that I know they'll be dancing and don't have to wait a week to find out if they'll get a bid or not as I'm assuming with their resume that they're a lock to get an at-large bid.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/09/20 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

When you make statements like this, you shouldn't be surprised when no one listens to you when you speak of something really important like the Coronavirus.

Opinions and factual knowledge are two different things, and if you are unable to tell the difference, perhaps you should consider that you may be speaking for yourself, and hold your tongue...or keyboard.

PostPosted: 03/10/20 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I don't think what Creme does is important (or particularly interesting), but I certainly wouldn't call him an idiot or get mad at him for any reason.

The NCAA selection committee, not Creme, determines the brackets. His job is simply to try to predict what the selcom will ultimately do, using the selcom's own tools such as RPI plus their other multiple, and often conflicting, bracketing principles. He gives his best predictions throughout the season and naturally becomes more predictively accurate as the season comes to an end.

As an aside, I really find Creme's work important and interesting, as WBB is being treated by ESPN as MBB - constantly updating Bracketology, articles about movement and how recent results impact seeding, etc. In terms of coverage, this is great.

When a number of posters on message boards attack Charlie Creme for not "getting it right" when it comes to his Bracketology, remember this thread - and what the Committee does (and does not do), the rules by which it complies (and the ones by which it does not), etc. Creme is not the amazing Kreskin (nor is he expected to be), but his job is exponentially more difficult when having to balance how and when the Committee chooses not to follow particular rules, deciding which rule is more important than another, or to seed teams certain ways.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/10/20 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Charlie's work creates interest (and yes, controversy too) thru-out the season. He's not an omniscient God, but he usually gets it in the ballpark. Isn't it kind of fun to agree/disagree on different aspects of it? I think that's the point. This year has been particularly difficult to predict so it will be interesting to see what the committee does with it all.

- Amanda Gorman
mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/11/20 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Central Michigan will be a bubble-buster after losing to Toledo in the MAC tourney today.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/11/20 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Central Michigan will be a bubble-buster after losing to Toledo in the MAC tourney today.

CMU might not even deserve to be in the NCAA Tournaent now, but it'll all go down to whatever the committee weighs the most if they still sneak in as one the very last teams in.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/11/20 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

CMU might not even deserve to be in the NCAA Tournaent now, but it'll all go down to whatever the committee weighs the most if they still sneak in as one the very last teams in.

Doubtful they’d sneak in with an RPI of 22. Laughing

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/13/20 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Doubtful they’d sneak in with an RPI of 22. :lol:

I still had them in, but under a few formulas I run they would be out. Their resume includes only one top 50 win over Dayton, a team that didn't have a quadrant 1 win. They lost 3 of their last 4, but the timing of games seems less important anymore. Their RPI is 22 driven by a 214-118 record of the teams they played, but only Louisville was a top 25 team. But I believe the biggest reason to put them in is that they won the 10th best conference by 3 games, so the loss in the conference tournament should not be enough to keep them out.

Last year UCF had a slightly better resume and an RPI of 18 and they were among the last in

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/14/20 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll float this out again:

I think the Selection Comm should convene as usual and ESPN should air the Selection Show, as usual. IBM should then run a virtual tournament and declare a virtual NC.

We need SOMETHING, don't we? I do anyway. This cold turkey shit blows.

Btw, I was REALLY hoping the SelComm would stick UConn in FW, just for the nationwide gnashing of teeth it would have inspired. Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: