RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ABC lies directly to viewers in stunning new video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 10/17/19 12:27 pm    ::: ABC lies directly to viewers in stunning new video Reply Reply with quote

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/abc-news-slaughter-in-syria-footage-appears-to-come-from-a-kentucky-gun-range

Quote:
Are you distrustful of the coverage of what is happening now in northern Syria between the Kurds and the Turkish army? You have good reason to be.

ABC aired supposedly shocking footage Monday and Sunday purporting to be from the frontline battle between the Syrian Kurds and the invading Turks. The only problem is, the footage appears to come from a nighttime machine gun demonstration at the Knob Creek Gun Range in West Point, Kentucky.

sambista

PostPosted: 10/17/19 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

you've got to be kidding. it was a mistake. abc owned up to it. that's something your beloved president will never, ever do.

why did i bother responding? i must be slipping.

PostPosted: 10/17/19 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
you've got to be kidding. it was a mistake. abc owned up to it. that's something your beloved president will never, ever do.

A mistake? That's laughable. Do you honestly believe that? You MUST be slipping!

Was it a mistake when they reported the "Trump concentration camp" videos the predated his presidency as well?

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/17/19 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:

I mean, mistakes happen and really what it comes down to is:

1) How consequential was the mistake
2) What was the breakdown that led to the mistake
3) How is the mistake handled in the aftermath

What makes a news source reputable or not is not that they never make mistakes; it's that they have systems in place to minimize those so they're as infrequent as possible and that when they do make mistakes they take ownership of them and correct them in a transparent and timely fashion.

I mean, the publication cited above has made some doozies themselves:

https://www.mediaite.com/news/washington-examiner-issues-correction-that-wholly-discredits-its-story-claiming-nytimes-fed-info-to-fbi/

PostPosted: 10/17/19 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ABC has a well-documented history of deception. Nobody gets a pass on fake news. All of the other outlets are reporting this story as well:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2019/10/15/abc-news-airs-knob-creek-kentucky-gun-range-video-as-syria-bombing/3984400002/
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2019/10/16/kentucky-gun-range-abc-syria-footage-speaks-out-controversy/3997806002/
https://www.foxnews.com/media/abc-news-error-gun-video-syria-turkey
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/business/media/turkey-syria-kentucky-gun-range.html

When you're in the truth business, you're in the truth and FACT business. One would imagine that you would at LEAST confirm your sources before running a story during prime time news. Taking a years old video and re-purposing it to fit your agenda-driven story makes it more than just a mistake; it makes you dishonest.

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/17/19 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
ABC has a well-documented history of deception. Nobody gets a pass on fake news.

This right here is the issue I take with your position on this.

There's an immense difference between a mistake, getting a story terribly wrong, or even inexcusably sloppy journalism, and "fake news". Fake news is a very specific thing where the purveyors of it know that it's not real going in (or have standards that are so nonexistent as that it's clear a story's veracity is not important). Lumping every error made by reputable journalists into that category--or worse, calling legitimate news stories "fake news"--is an extremely dangerous thing to do as it creates inaccurate perceptions of how trustworthy the news media actually is, and it erodes one of the essential cornerstones of a free democracy.

So, as I noted in my first post, what becomes important is to figure out how this sort of an error went out. What and who failed along the way, and do they need to reexamine their procedures and standards of corroboration if they allowed this to be missed.

PostPosted: 10/17/19 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you don’t believe in fake news, that it’s practiced by the NYTimes and the Washington Post and the broadcast and cable news networks, then I don’t know what to say to you.

I see it every day. I’ve lived it. Trump will be gone soon, I hope and believe, but this has been around for a long time and it’s not going away any time soon.

It’s exacerbated by the fact that journalists now are almost exclusively drawn from the upper classes and way too often private schools and the networks are owned by a handful of conglomerate media empires some I’m sure with interlocking directorates. It’s our old friends the elites. On every level now. This was predicted decades ago by Chomsky, Patenti, Nader and so many others.

I see it every day. CNN today did a hit job on Warren wherein the voiceover by the reporter says, ‘She has refused to say whether her Medicare for all plan would raise taxes.”

That’s a lie. She has said quite clearly and often that her plan would raise taxes on the affluent and corporations. She has refused to say that it would raise taxes on the middle class because she is resisting the effort by the entire news media to make those words come out of her mouth and provide a damaging sound bite for her future Republican opponent.

And that is a bit of class warfare by the elites. They do not want to have their taxes raised and they don’t want to lose their cushy healthcare coverage that goes along with their incredibly cushy careers.

After the debate a couple months ago when Sanders and Warren so clearly outclassed the field the NYTimes went after them ANGRILY denouncing their healthcare plans as pipe dreams.

It’s the fucking Wild West and if you guys think you have the high ground defending the veracity and integrity of the American press from Stonington here then the joke really is on you.

PostPosted: 10/17/19 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And please read the now legendary Salvador and Insider Baseball pieces by Joan Didion in a book entitled, quite conveniently for our purposes here, Political Fictions.

In Salvador she writes of how US State Department officials and American reporters on the ground would report back the facts to their higher ups in DC about what was happening there and, in both instances, government and press, it was like their was static on the lines or wax in people’s ears and the parties back home couldn’t quite hear or understand what they were being told. So back at the White House and State Dept. they were saying they didn’t know exactly what was going on down there and who was doing what and the Washington press corps put those stories out to the American people.

But Didion, who was there, said you knew who was doing the killing 48 hours after getting off the plane.

Then read Insider Baseball and how the career political press crafts narrative illusions for the political parties and sells them to the American people.

I mean come on.

PostPosted: 10/18/19 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Look at the title of this thread, kiddies: now which of the facsimiles are True AND most egregious?

"Donald Trump lies directly to viewers in stunning new video"

"Fox News lies directly to viewers in stunning new video"

"ABC lies directly to viewers in stunning new video"

[Hint: ALL three above are true.]

Any First Class person can see that Trump's incessant, overt lies overshadow all else. Period. Like today, when he glibly announced that his action in Turkey has prevented the deaths of untold "MILLIONS" of people. Or that he never knew (perp 1, perp 2, etc.) who'd been photographed with him, and who've given him vast sums of campaign money. Or that there never was any 'quid pro quo', even though Nick Mulvaney explained there was, and to get over it. Or that he says he's not racist. or.....[must stop here]

Fox News presents SO many lies on any given day, mainly to support Trump's lies. Deliberately deceitful, preying on the weak-minded. Over and over.

ABC lies by showing unrelated video footage of an alleged assault for dramatic effect. Catches it. Corrects it.

Anyone can see the intelligence of picking the "ABC" faux pas as--by far--the most egregious thing. Especially cuz, if you focus on THAT, you won't be bothered by the other Realities of Choice A or B.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/18/19 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

god bless you guys for wasting the time

PostPosted: 10/18/19 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Look at the title of this thread, kiddies: now which of the facsimiles are True AND most egregious?

Any First Class person can see that Trump's incessant, overt lies overshadow all else.

Anyone can see the intelligence of picking the "ABC" faux pas as--by far--the most egregious thing. Especially cuz, if you focus on THAT, you won't be bothered by the other Realities of Choice A or B.

You pose a multiple choice question, which nobody has answered except some characters inside your head, and then insult them for choosing the wrong answer.

You: Wrong, wrong, WRONG! Stupid, stupid, STUPID!

Me: Oh please, sir. Let me watch you flog them some more I’m bored! Rolling Eyes

And didn’t you start a fake news thread a couple of weeks ago? That thing should be onto its fourth page by now if the informed and serious imaginary Rebkellians inside my head who actually cared were honestly discussing this subject. The truth is, nobody’s interested.

PostPosted: 10/18/19 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Howee wrote:

Any First Class person can see that Trump's incessant, overt lies overshadow all else.

You pose a multiple choice question, which nobody has answered except some characters inside your head, and then insult them for choosing the wrong answer.

Laughing How mistaken you are....there was no 'multiple choice' offered. It was a ranking of the egregiousness of True Facts. And no insults were offered, though some might be invented, if so chosen.

jammerbirdi wrote:
You: Wrong, wrong, WRONG! Stupid, stupid, STUPID!

Me: Oh please, sir. Let me watch you flog them some more I’m bored! Rolling Eyes

Your vivid imagination is .... admirable. Cool

jammerbirdi wrote:
And didn’t you start a fake news thread a couple of weeks ago? That thing should be onto its fourth page by now if the informed and serious imaginary Rebkellians inside my head who actually cared were honestly discussing this subject. The truth is, nobody’s interested.

True indeed. Forgive that some of us might be inclined to forget that YOU are the only poster whose Imaginary Head Rebkellians have insights that are erudite and relevant. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: