RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

SEC 2019-2020 (formerly SEC preseason stuff)

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 4209
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/15/19 9:36 pm    ::: SEC 2019-2020 (formerly SEC preseason stuff) Reply Reply with quote

Haven't seen a thread about SEC women's preseason hoopla. So let's start it off with the pics from the SEC media.

https://mutigers.com/news/2019/10/15/mizzou-womens-basketball-picked-ninth-in-sec-preseason-media-poll.aspx

Preseason top 3

1. South Carolina
2. Texas A&M
3. Mississippi state

First-Team All-SEC
Chelsea Dungee, Arkansas
Rhyne Howard, Kentucky
Ayana Mitchell, LSU
Tyasha Harris, South Carolina
Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M


The link above delineates the predicted standings for the entire league as well as player of the year votes and second-team all conference.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.


Last edited by NoDakSt on 11/07/19 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25681



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/15/19 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

when was the last time there was no sign of Tenn. in that list?



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5470
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/19 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee is an unknown at this juncture, what with the new coach and some departures. Will just have to see. I'm actually optimistic because I know what kind of coach Kellie is, and with better talent than she had at Missouri State, I think she can take this team somewhere. Just not sure how high yet.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
CHSHog



Joined: 19 Apr 2019
Posts: 21
Location: Charleston, SC


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/19 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe that this is the highest Arkansas has ever been predicted to finish in a preseason WBB poll for the SEC.

Two years ago, they were predicted to finish 14th (and would have been picked for 15th, if that were allowable lol). They actually finished 11th that year, I think.

Quite a remarkable jump.



_________________
I know nobody and nothing.
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 4209
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/19 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adding Ramirez to the lineup will give Neighbors some fantastic firepower. They'll be able to run and shoot with the best of the league. Theyre not strong inside relative to some other teams in the conference but said teams probably don't have the backcourt to keep up with Arkansas except maybe A&M.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
taropatch



Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 608
Location: Kau Rubbish Dump


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/19 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vanderbilt’s conference wins:
2016: 5
2017: 4
2018: 3
2019: 2
That posits one conference win this season? Nah, I doubt it.

One of last season’s wins was historic over UT, in Knoxville, mind you. Gotta give the Commodores credit for battling on through all this adversity.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59884
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/19 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
Vanderbilt’s conference wins:
2016: 5
2017: 4
2018: 3
2019: 2
That posits one conference win this season? Nah, I doubt it.

One of last season’s wins was historic over UT, in Knoxville, mind you. Gotta give the Commodores credit for battling on through all this adversity.


Steph White is still the coach, so don't expect much from them



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 12257
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/19 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting-but-not-shocking prognostication. Admitting a limited perspective, I'd think the SEC is possibly more prone to shake-ups in those predictions than, say, the ACC or Big 12. Maybe not in the cellar region, but....it bodes well for interest and intrigue in the upper portion of the league. (Poor Vandy!)



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10092



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/17/19 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
taropatch wrote:
Vanderbilt’s conference wins:
2016: 5
2017: 4
2018: 3
2019: 2
That posits one conference win this season? Nah, I doubt it.

One of last season’s wins was historic over UT, in Knoxville, mind you. Gotta give the Commodores credit for battling on through all this adversity.


Steph White is still the coach, so don't expect much from them


Another example that good players don't necessarily make good coaches ... no matter how popular they are with fans.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 787
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/17/19 3:37 pm    ::: Re: SEC Preseason stuff Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Haven't seen a thread about SEC women's preseason hoopla. So let's start it off with the pics from the SEC media.

https://mutigers.com/news/2019/10/15/mizzou-womens-basketball-picked-ninth-in-sec-preseason-media-poll.aspx

Preseason top 3

1. South Carolina
2. Texas A&M
3. Mississippi state

First-Team All-SEC
Chelsea Dungee, Arkansas
Rhyne Howard, Kentucky
Ayana Mitchell, LSU
Tyasha Harris, South Carolina
Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M


The link above delineates the predicted standings for the entire league as well as player of the year votes and second-team all conference.


Still lots to find out about the Gamecocks, but Aggies HC Gary Blair said it right at SECMD:

Jan. 2 - Kentucky*
Jan. 5 - @ Alabama*
Jan. 9 - Arkansas*
Jan. 12 - @ Vanderbilt*
Jan. 16 - @ Missouri*
Jan. 20 - Mississippi State*
Jan. 26 - @ Georgia*
Jan. 30 - @ Mississippi*
Feb. 2 - Tennessee*
Feb. 6 - @ Arkansas*
Feb. 13 - Auburn*
Feb. 17 - Vanderbilt*
Feb. 20 - Louisiana State*
Feb. 23 - @ Kentucky*
Feb. 27 - @ Florida*
Mar. 1 - Texas A&M*


Our schedule looks pretty strong - #2 Texas A&M, #3 MSU, #6 Tennessee, #7 Auburn, and #8 LSU, are all single games this season, and at home. #4 Kentucky and #5 Arkansas home & away games. Away games only against #9 Missouri, #10 Georgia, #11 Alabama, #12 Florida, #13 Mississippi, and a home and away with #14 Vanderbilt.

We're usually pretty tough at home, going 44-4 in SEC play in Colonial Life over the past 6 seasons. But IMO, the big question regarding the season overall will be how the team starts out in non-conference play, with all the youth.....


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5470
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/18/19 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find it just a little bit eerie how much Kellie Harper sounds like Pat Summitt. The accent is very similar...she's from middle Tennessee, while Pat was from west Tennessee, but the cadence and intonation are so much the same...



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 4209
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/18/19 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
taropatch wrote:
Vanderbilt’s conference wins:
2016: 5
2017: 4
2018: 3
2019: 2
That posits one conference win this season? Nah, I doubt it.

One of last season’s wins was historic over UT, in Knoxville, mind you. Gotta give the Commodores credit for battling on through all this adversity.


Steph White is still the coach, so don't expect much from them


This year in starting off so hot for Stef white.

Starting point guard Clemons-Green Opts to sit out the year.


https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tennessean.com/amp/4021922002



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59884
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/06/19 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alabama loses to Hampton

Auburn barely holds off Wofford 84-82 at home


Could be a rough year for the SEC



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25681



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/07/19 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Alabama loses to Hampton

Auburn barely holds off Wofford 84-82 at home


Could be a rough year for the SEC


but Charlie will still somehow figure a way to get 8 teams in the tourney.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 12257
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/07/19 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:
Alabama loses to Hampton
Auburn barely holds off Wofford 84-82 at home
Could be a rough year for the SEC

but Charlie will still somehow figure a way to get 8 teams in the tourney.

Now Myrtle, you stop with the kvetching, you wetched wrench! Shocked Charlie knowz what he's doing.



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52771



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/07/19 12:55 am    ::: Re: SEC Preseason stuff Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Haven't seen a thread about SEC women's preseason hoopla. So let's start it off with the pics from the SEC media.


Might as well just edit the title to make this the all-encompassing SEC thread.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin