RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 -20 NCAAW fantasy game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calbearman76

PostPosted: 10/23/19 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two other questions.

1) Are we going to use the same scoring as in the WNBA game?

2) Should we allow games against Non Division 1 teams?

I suggest yes for 1) and no for 2), but those are questions to clarify before the draft.

hoopmom

PostPosted: 10/23/19 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For rosters, how about 3 f/c players and 2 guards? It seems inconsistent whether tall players are labeled forwards or centers.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/23/19 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ok, awesome that Lynx will join us. I'll re-work on the head to head schedule and we will have some weeks where there will be three players going H2H. We can spread that out so everyone has the same advantage/disadvantage. I think it will be like P1 v P2, P1 v P9, and P2 v P9 all at once. You have the opportunity to pick up 2 wins, a win and a loss, or 2 losses all in one week. So long as this gets done evenly so everyone gets the same # of games, that should work out. (though it may make Matt's job up front harder) I'll see if I can make it work that way and if not, we can come up with a different method. The other option I can think might work is to divide December into 3 10 day units instead of 2 and use the last week in Feb as well to create two more 'weeks'. Then we could work out a playoff system thru the actual conference tournies.

As far as 3 f or c's rather than 1 c and 2 f's, I could go along with that as long as we say at least one of those needs to either be labelled a C or is 6'2" or taller (as listed on their roster). I just feel like it needs to have at least one true post and not three 5'10" wings who are labeled as Fs. Maybe just a personal bias but since there's been some 'trouble' in the past, I prefer for it to be explicit. When you draft such player, you can put list the tall player(s) who meet the criteria.

I don't want to get into the W style point system. It becomes too difficult a) because of the percentage categories and how to value them; and b) I personally feel like steals and blocks are too over-valued in that system. In this game, it's straight up - you either win, lose, or tie each category. And it's total categories that you win which makes you win a H2H matchup.

A 12 player roster is fine if we do away with the IR. It makes it more straightforward than moving kids on/off the IR.

I think, as far as a tie in an individual matchup we should just use the Euro type system and call it a tie. At the end of the season, if there is an overall tie we can use the total plus minus from each week. If there is still a tie, we could either come up with a secondary tie breaker, or just call them co-champs.

So, yeah, I'll ask Howee to pull names out of a hat and we can get started drafting if everybody is cool with it all. I'll try to lay out everything up above in the first post...and if anything is unclear we'll try to muddle thru it. If there are major objections, speak now or forever (well thru the season anyway) keep your peace. This should be fun - a new adventure for us all.

- Amanda Gorman
hoopmom

PostPosted: 10/23/19 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hi thanks for considering my suggestion. I’m fine with whatever you decide, I really appreciate all the work you do on this. I’ll throw out another suggestion - can we limit to like 12 conferences based on some fair criteria like I could possibly see the team play on TV? I just tried to research players for the last hour and I’m overwhelmed! Again I’m fine with the rules just throwing ideas.

tbinta

PostPosted: 10/23/19 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I understand it’s daunting but I would like to have choice of grabbing players from any of 30+ conferences

PostPosted: 10/23/19 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yes, it's fun to find the obscure player in the obscure conference.
You can get some general overall stats from ESPN http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/statistics

Also the individual conferences will often have complete stats from year before. Like this is Horizon League https://www.horizonleague.org/stats.aspx?path=wbball&year=2018

and of course you have to weed out those who have graduated.

If you want to make your search smaller, it is true that we mostly get players from the major conferences. I would say, if you want to only search 12 conferences, my rec would be:
AA (esp UConn, USF, and maybe UCF)
A10
ACC
B10
BE
B12
CUSA
Horizon
P12
SEC
Sum
WCC

I would say 90% of the picks typically come from these conferences. If you want to search a little deeper, maybe just look at the top couple of teams in some of the other leagues.

- Amanda Gorman
hoopmom

PostPosted: 10/24/19 6:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great thanks for the suggestions!

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/24/19 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ok, Howee is doing his magic and will post the draft order shortly.

I would suggest that we all PM the people on each side of us in the draft and give them an email address so that once you make a pick, you can send an email to let the next person know they are 'up'. That should help speed things up and we won't have to come back over and over checking. The PM thingie on here doesn't seem to send an email notification anymore so I think it's better to do it direct.

I'll try to keep a running list of the draft in the second post of this thread. Still you should check the last several posts in the thread as there will likely be some lag time. (Am working on all the rules/regs for the first post, but I think they're pretty well sorted out if you've followed the thread)

I also put the revised version of the H2H schedule up in the third post which incorporates the ninth player.

When you make your pick please do so as follows:
player name, position as listed on their roster, player team, team conference.
ie Sally Jones, F, Timbuctu University, Mountain West

If your F meets the 6'2 or taller criteria for use as a C, please call her a TF (for tall forward). And note that a tall G or GF does not meet the criteria for a C even if they are over 6'2".
The conference designation helps me when I'm finding scores for your player.

Which reminds me, I didn't respond to bearman's suggestion about non D1 games. I agree that all the games played in this version of the fantasy should only count against D1 opponents.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/24/19 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's also possible Howee is waiting to see what bribes he can collect first...

- Amanda Gorman
Coyotes

PostPosted: 10/24/19 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee, could you make Myrtle go first so that the miraclez are FINALLY at a disadvantage?

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/24/19 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

some people like first. I'm not so keen on it ...though it is always nice to get your #1 choice. The problem is how excruciatingly long you have to wait to get that 2nd pick. At least in the NCAA game there are lots of players to pick from.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 10/24/19 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Howee, could you make Myrtle go first so that the miraclez are FINALLY at a disadvantage?

Poor Myrtle. She ALREADY has the disadvantage of being my erstwhile *friend* (as long as Oregon is not playing Stanford). Razz

As of 6 pm, EST time, THIS is the order of names drawn from a random pile with my eyes shut. (honest!)

1. Hoopmom
2. Coyote
3. Lynxmania
4. Myrtle
5. Cal
6. Matt
7. Adam
8. tbinta
(9.pureform?)

Edited to add pureform: I didn't receive the Official List from you as requested, Myrtle, so I just went with what I could find; please forgive the inadvertent omission.

Enjoy. Cool

Last edited by Howee on 10/24/19 10:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/24/19 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess Pureform got lost. He must have blown off the coffee table. Is it ok to give him #9?
I notice Howee drew the longer names first. Perhaps they were on bigger pieces of paper so we have to remember that might be an advantage in the future. Twisted Evil

and I've just sent a PM with my email info to bearman and lynx since they are my sandwich. If anyone else would like my email for this game, please let me know.

PS, thanks Howee.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/24/19 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopmom, you are on the clock and can take any player that catches your fancy!

- Amanda Gorman
calbearman76

PostPosted: 10/24/19 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just to clarify, the nine categories are:

FG%
FT%
3-pt FG%
Assists
Blocks
Steals
Turnovers (fewest wins)

The amounts for each of the 8 players on the team selected are added together, (% based on the totals of all players in lineup).

Do games count against non Division 1 teams?

Also, I suggest a few rules regarding lineups.

Lineups can be entered at any time, and can be changed until 6pm eastern on Tuesday(earlier if a player is playing that day before 6pm), including the players and the game to be counted.
In the case that a team doesn't put in a lineup, the lineup from the prior week will be used and the first game will be used for each player. If a player doesn't play the player gets 0 (i.e., no replacements)

Matt5762

PostPosted: 10/24/19 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal, there is a 10th category - 3P FG made (raw #, not %).

Myrtle, can you clarify the final decision on roster size and positions? Was it, 12/8, playing 2G, 2F, 1C, 3U? And TF plays like a F/C, is that right?

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/24/19 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ok. I finally posted the rules as I think we are playing in the first post of the thread. Yes to 12 on the roster and playing 8. And yes to the TF acting like a CF.

Bearman I thought we would allow replacements if a player doesn't play, so long as the replacement plays later in the week and is legal in terms of position. In fact I was thinking to allow a lineup which lists an 'alternate' for later in the week just in case one of the players in the lineup doesn't play. If you feel strongly about not allowing replacements we could vote on it.

Quote:
In the case that a team doesn't put in a lineup, the lineup from the prior week will be used and the first game will be used for each player.

This seems like a good rule.

- Amanda Gorman
Pureformofthegame

PostPosted: 10/25/19 7:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I guess Pureform got lost. He must have blown off the coffee table. Is it ok to give him #9?
I notice Howee drew the longer names first. Perhaps they were on bigger pieces of paper so we have to remember that might be an advantage in the future. Twisted Evil

and I've just sent a PM with my email info to bearman and lynx since they are my sandwich. If anyone else would like my email for this game, please let me know.

PS, thanks Howee.

I'm here! Coffee table is fine!

Coyotes

PostPosted: 10/25/19 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m fine with giving Pureform the 9th Pick. Always good to see a familiar face take a run at the Miraclez.

In any case, we shall have to quiver with antici-wait for it as hoopsmom makes the first pick of the season that ends a dynasty, hopefully.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/25/19 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
I’m fine with giving Pureform the 9th Pick. Always good to see a familiar face take a run at the Miraclez.

In any case, we shall have to quiver with antici-wait for it as hoopsmom makes the first pick of the season that ends a dynasty, hopefully.

wow. that target on my back is getting pretty heavy... [poor me!
Wink

- Amanda Gorman
Pureformofthegame

PostPosted: 10/25/19 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Coyotes wrote:

Wink

That's what happens to juggernauts! ...or are you a dynasty at this point?

Coyotes

PostPosted: 10/25/19 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pureformofthegame wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Coyotes wrote:

Wink

That's what happens to juggernauts! ...or are you a dynasty at this point?

I’m pretty sure it’s a Dynasty. I think the Miraclez have won at least three in a row for the fantasy league. Meanwhile, I’ll have to be content with the cellar again. I know, I’m all doom and gloom. It’s such a shame that Shannon Coffee isn’t around to join Pureform at the Coffee Table. Maybe Myrtle should draft Estella Moschkau as her Stanford Mascot.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/25/19 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If hoopmom doesn't show up by this evening. I could pick for her. Coyote might not approve since I think there is a clear #1 and s/he may be wishin and a hopin. Laughing

#2 is not at all as clear in my mind.

- Amanda Gorman
Matt5762

PostPosted: 10/25/19 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is hoopmom entertaining trade offers for the #1 pick? Smile

calbearman76

PostPosted: 10/25/19 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
If hoopmom doesn't show up by this evening. I could pick for her. Coyote might not approve since I think there is a clear #1 and s/he may be wishin and a hopin. :lol:

#2 is not at all as clear in my mind.

I agree. I can"t imagine anyone passing up on Iimar'i Thomas. School and position withheld.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 2 of 28

Jump to: