RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 07/17/20 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

playoffs look tough for them now. helps lynx!

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/17/20 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wnbafan wrote:
How are you putting fans in these buckets? Do you know all of them personally? How are you determining whether a fan is hardcore or casual?

Is this a serious question? I don't even see how the statement, "the strongest backlash to Delle Donne appears to be coming from hardcore WNBA fans" can be in dispute? Put it this way, let's limit the conversation to rebkell: who's posting in this subfolder who isn't a hardcore WNBA fan? It's entirely reasonable to conclude that one hundred percent of the rebkell posters who have been critical of Delle Donne can be categorized as hardcore fans. Go outside of rebkell, and you'll find that people being critical of Delle Donne on other platforms are largely hardcore fans, as well.

Now, maybe you didn't understand what I wrote, and thought that I meant, "All hardcore fans are against Delle Donne," but that's not what I wrote, nor what I meant. Saying that most of the backlash to Delle Donne is coming from hardcore fans is not the equivalent of saying that she doesn't have any support among hardcore fans. Hell, it doesn't even mean that hardcore fans don't overwhelmingly support Delle Donne. If you had a hundred hardcore fans, and a thousand casual fans, and 80 out of 100 hardcore fans support Delle Donne in this situation, and 995 out of 1000 casual fans support Delle Donne in this situation, then that would mean that 20 out of the 25 people who are critical of Delle Donne are hardcore fans... Which was the point of my statement, in the first place.

And I absolutely stand behind the claim that Delle Donne's "most vocal" support has come from casual fans. Why do I feel so confident saying that? Because there's only like one person with a large platform talking about the WNBA who isn't a casual fan, unless you want to count other players, and people who cover the league for a living, none of whom I think could be counted as fans.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
ripleydc

PostPosted: 07/17/20 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nsw43 wrote:
Tina Charles receives exemption for extrinsic asthma. She writes powerfully about "I can't breathe."

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/tina-charles-wnba

Fabulous piece by Tina. Really worth the time to read!

Stormeo

PostPosted: 07/17/20 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG: Mitchell/Peddy
SG: Atkins/Leslie
SF: Powers/Carson
PF: Hawkins/Hines-Allen
C: Meesseman/Coates

Imo the starters should be enough to get them into the playoffs, but the bench is as short as it is weak... too bad they don't have a 1st-round pick next year to tank for. I have to wonder how Meesseman's feeling since she didn't know at the time she made the overseas trek to the States & effectively committed to the season that she'd have so little firepower around her.

Last edited by Stormeo on 07/17/20 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 07/17/20 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Imo the starters should be enough to get them into the playoffs, but the bench is as short as it is weak... too bad they don't have a 1st-round pick next year to tank for.

The bench looks pretty thin. Now that Charles has a medical opt out the trade for her looks pretty terrible.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/17/20 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carson looked surprisingly good in the little bit of practice I saw on her in.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 07/17/20 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
The bench looks pretty thin.

Shades wrote:

Thibault might then want to consider starting Carson and bringing Powers off the bench, a role she has thrived in on this team. The second unit's offense is probably going to stall quite a bit, and we know how much she likes to play one-on-one star-player style. Razz

toad455

PostPosted: 07/17/20 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Carson's their best bench player unless she starts over Powers.

Peddy was a hardship exemption last season. Leslie has yet to play one minute in the league. Hines-Allen has shown promise but never significant minutes. Coates has already proven to be a bust now on her fourth team in three years. Good luck repeating.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/17/20 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Imo the starters should be enough to get them into the playoffs.

If Thibault is able to pull that off he deserves COY, no question.

PostPosted: 07/18/20 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Imo the starters should be enough to get them into the playoffs.

If Thibault is able to pull that off he deserves COY, no question.

So basically what you're saying is, the 2020 Mystics are #NAPT. Laughing

My question is, with those starters, who can you leave open on the perimeter? All five players last season shot above 35% from 3, with two of them shooting above 40% (Carson was a not-terrible 34% too fwiw). Good shooting, good coaching, and a smidge of experience (albeit without much pre-established chemistry) imo should allow a team to win "enough" games. If any of these starters have to miss games though, whole different story - but of course it remains to be seen. A couple other teams currently have stick-thin benches to worry about as well.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/18/20 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still really like that starting lineup, especially with Thibault coaching it. And yes the bench looks weak, but we've seen plenty of successful WNBA teams over the years with awful benches (Connecticut made the Finals last season, just for a start).

The question is whether players like Atkins, Powers and Hawkins can continue to be successful when thrust into much larger roles, and when they don't have (as many) superstars taking defensive attention away from them. Those threes won't be as open when all five defenders aren't half-leaning towards Delle Donne.

PostPosted: 07/18/20 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I still really like that starting lineup, especially with Thibault coaching it. And yes the bench looks weak, but we've seen plenty of successful WNBA teams over the years with awful benches (Connecticut made the Finals last season, just for a start).

The question is whether players like Atkins, Powers and Hawkins can continue to be successful when thrust into much larger roles, and when they don't have (as many) superstars taking defensive attention away from them. Those threes won't be as open when all five defenders aren't half-leaning towards Delle Donne.

I wouldn't be shocked to see one of Powers, Atkins, or Hawkins really pop and end up MIP.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 07/20/20 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/07/20/short-four-projected-starters-mystics-plan-come-out-firing-wnba-title-repeat/

Quote:
“A lot of the offseason planning went out the window,” Thibault said. “You have to try to do some things different. I told our players to be prepared to do some experimenting.”

Despite the uncertainty, Thibault has been particularly upbeat. He has approached the bubble as the unusual situation it is, keeping perspective in a global climate that bears little resemblance to the one in which the Mystics raised a trophy in October. The pandemic has claimed more than 135,000 American lives, and protests in the wake of George Floyd being killed while in police custody in Minneapolis also have dominated the news. Thibault wants his players to be appreciative that they are paid to play basketball.

The Mystics may have entered the bubble without the talent advantage they once enjoyed, but also largely gone is the pressure that comes with defending a title.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/20/20 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/07/20/short-four-projected-starters-mystics-plan-come-out-firing-wnba-title-repeat/

Quote:
“A lot of the offseason planning went out the window,” Thibault said. “You have to try to do some things different. I told our players to be prepared to do some experimenting.”

Despite the uncertainty, Thibault has been particularly upbeat. He has approached the bubble as the unusual situation it is, keeping perspective in a global climate that bears little resemblance to the one in which the Mystics raised a trophy in October. The pandemic has claimed more than 135,000 American lives, and protests in the wake of George Floyd being killed while in police custody in Minneapolis also have dominated the news. Thibault wants his players to be appreciative that they are paid to play basketball.

The Mystics may have entered the bubble without the talent advantage they once enjoyed, but also largely gone is the pressure that comes with defending a title.

I am thankful every day for having Coach & GM Mike Thibault!!! Those of us who felt kicked in the teeth by The Sheila and The Trudy fully appreciate what we now have. EDD would not have come here without Coach T at the helm of the franchise

~rAf
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 07/21/20 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While it's sad that we won't be able to mount a proper title defense, I'm quite excited to watch this roster in action. This season will be huge for Hines-Allen, she seems to me like a player that will thrive with consistent playing time and I expect her to start over Hawkins sooner than later. Atkins should feature more on offense and Emma is a dark horse MVP candidate in this setting. And of course we'll finally get to see Kiara Leslie in action at this level. I'm probably more excited than I would be if we had the full roster Laughing

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/30/20 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Powers twitter beef with Iguodala getting out of hand. She is overreacting IMO. He gave a compliment without mentioning your name and only your jersey number. Big deal. Its am important number though

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/mystics-aerial-powers-calls-out-andre-iguodala-over-twitter-comments

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 07/30/20 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Powers twitter beef with Iguodala getting out of hand. She is overreacting IMO. He gave a compliment without mentioning your name and only your jersey number. Big deal. Its am important number though

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/mystics-aerial-powers-calls-out-andre-iguodala-over-twitter-comments

Didn’t you see the article from 4 years ago about him not wanting his daughter to play basketball because he was afraid of her becoming a lesbian. With him saying ignorant stuff like that, can’t blame her for harboring certain feelings.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 07/30/20 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Didn’t you see the article from 4 years ago about him not wanting his daughter to play basketball because he was afraid of her becoming a lesbian. With him saying ignorant stuff like that, can’t blame her for harboring certain feelings.

Fuck #28 from the Heat

PostPosted: 07/30/20 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

If you read that article you will see that his ex said that he said that while trying to get more money from him in a courtcase. I dont think she is the most objective

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/30/20 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Fuck #28 from the Heat

+2 Igoubooboo

PostPosted: 07/30/20 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Fuck #28 from the Heat

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 07/30/20 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

just thinking with the development of Hines-Allen & Powers that the Mystics don't bring back Sanders and Charles for 2021. They'd still need another guard/wing somehow.

MYSTICS 2021:
PG: Cloud/Mitchell/Peddy?
SF: Powers/
PF: Delle Donne/Hines-Allen
C: Meesseman/Hawkins/Coates

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 07/30/20 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless the virus situation changes, Charles asthma problems may prevent her from playing next year as well. Of course, she wouldn't be getting paid so that might make a difference to her.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/30/20 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
just thinking with the development of Hines-Allen & Powers that the Mystics don't bring back Sanders and Charles for 2021. They'd still need another guard/wing somehow.

MYSTICS 2021:
PG: Cloud/Mitchell/Peddy?
SF: Powers/
PF: Delle Donne/Hines-Allen
C: Meesseman/Hawkins/Coates

Emma and hawkins are not centers. I would bring back Charles and let Hawkins go somewhere else if they dont have the capspace. With EDD, Emma and Hines-allen there is no need for hawkins

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/30/20 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remember Meesseman only signed for one year with suggestions she might not play in the WNBA for much longer. Plus Belgium are in the Olympics for the first time ever. That might be where the hole to fit Charles comes in.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: