RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Connecticut Sun 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/04/20 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
The sun looking [like] a recorded version game after game. Play hard 3 Qtrs then lose steam in the 4th Crying or Very sad

Not trying to play Beatrice or Kaila this season won’t work this season Curt. Your main girls are tired you WILL have to utilize the bench sooner or later.

Totally agree. Miller's gotta get his rookies more involved at this point. If the team is gonna continue to lose, it'd be unwise to not have the rookies getting any meaningful action; it's in the team's best interest to develop at least an average bench if they want to return to contender status for 2021. KML is showing she shouldn't be on the team next year, Gemelos probably shouldn't have been on the team to begin with, and Plaisance would likely have to agree to a significant pay cut to re-sign for next year since she hasn't done much the past 2-3 seasons. There likely won't be any rookies on next year's squad with two 2nd-rounders and a 3rd- in a weak draft; so unless they'll have the money to sign a good free agent, most of the personnel they have now is largely who will be returning next year by default. They should be able to push B. Jones, Hiedeman, and Holmes back to the bench permanently, but adding in more confident versions of Charles and Mompremier would give the bench that much more of a punch. It would be particularly savvy to get those five playing together at the same time this season. It's like how the Storm used 2019 as a year to develop the younger players & role players. With an 0-5 record in a shortened season, it already might be best to just sacrifice this season for the next.

Potential Sun 2021 roster:
PG: J. Thomas / Hiedeman
SG: January / Holmes
SF: Bonner / Charles
PF: A. Thomas / B. Jones
C: J. Jones / Mompremier

...still leaving one or two spots open for a free agent, a domestically unproven overseas player, etc.

RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 08/04/20 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The marketing team got it right... Change Can't Wait

Shades

PostPosted: 08/05/20 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most of those players need new contracts. That’s why they needed to win this year before losing more players.

I predict AThomas will get whatever max is for 2021.
JThomas would probably have to sign under market value to fit under cap. I haven’t crunched the numbers but that’s how it’s feeling.
BJones could be earning herself a decent contract on another team. She’ll be a RFA.
Holmes needs a new contract. Maybe she’ll sign for a little less than what she’s making now.
Hiedeman needs a new contract. It’ll already be her third year. Since she was a cut player, she should in line for at least the 3-yr minimum of probably $69K.
Plaisance needs a new contract. She last made $104K.
KML needs a new contract. She last made $71K.
Bonner is due $221K in 2021.
JJones is due $191K in 2021.
January is due $122K guaranteed in 2021.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 08/05/20 5:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plaisance isn't getting re-signed. I think her playing days in the W will be over after this season.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/05/20 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Plaisance isn't getting re-signed. I think her playing days in the W will be over after this season.

The same should apply to KML, too. A. Thomas deserves something close to max. Hiedeman will re-sign for something cheap. As for J. Thomas, Holmes, and B. Jones, it wouldn't be too devastating if one of those players couldn't be brought back, since they each have their deficiencies. J. Thomas has been an offensive liability pretty much her whole career, and it took her three teams to find the right fit here, so she might consider taking whatever contract the Sun offers her, or thereabouts. Holmes is from Connecticut, so she might take a hometown discount - her play as of yet hasn't shown she should get a bigger deal anyway. So all three might be kept if they all agree to cheap contracts. Of the three, B. Jones might be the most likely to sign elsewhere, but if it's cheap enough, the Sun could still match. If J. Thomas doesn't re-sign, at least they'll still have January to run the point for 2021 (I doubt January re-signs in 2022 since it seemed like she was traded to the Sun against her will), though depending on how things shake out, I could also see January getting traded elsewhere before the 2021 season - possibly back to Phoenix for a younger, cheaper player. Who knows. Will it ultimately all be enough to thrust them back to being a contender in 2021? Again, who knows.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/05/20 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A.Thomas will absolutely get maxed. If for some reason Conn didn't want to do it, plenty of others would. They probably won't get J.Thomas for much less, but if she keeps producing as poorly as she has through 5 games it might drop a bit. B.Jones has seemed wildly replacable if someone else wants to overpay her.

I think they'll try to.keep their starting five together if at all possible, and then piece together a dirt cheap bench again.

PostPosted: 08/05/20 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I mean, the Sun's bench is simply terrible. Hiedeman's their best player. Maybe with January there, Holmes goes to the bench? Mompremier hasn't really shown much, KML is useless and Gemelos is just there. Don't see them making the playoffs. Sucks for Bonner, but hopefully she can return next season with Jonquel back.

The bench being terrible is Miller's own doing. Years of disregarding young players will catch up to you eventually.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/05/20 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
toad455 wrote:
I mean, the Sun's bench is simply terrible. Hiedeman's their best player. Maybe with January there, Holmes goes to the bench? Mompremier hasn't really shown much, KML is useless and Gemelos is just there. Don't see them making the playoffs. Sucks for Bonner, but hopefully she can return next season with Jonquel back.

The bench being terrible is Miller's own doing. Years of disregarding young players will catch up to you eventually.

And terrible personnel moves. Draft Banham and Tuck, trading Gray, trading Williams, giving away the farm for Dewanna Bonner, etc. etc.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/05/20 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Briann January was at practice today

#NATC

PostPosted: 08/05/20 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
toad455 wrote:

And terrible personnel moves. Draft Banham and Tuck, trading Gray, trading Williams, giving away the farm for Dewanna Bonner, etc. etc.

Which is crazy, considering he almost won a damn championship making that many boneheaded moves..

PostPosted: 08/05/20 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It continues to amaze how Miller never has built up his bench.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 08/06/20 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Finally cleared to practice, Briann January discusses bout with COVID-19, joining the team in Florida and the Connecticut Sun’s long-term championship potential

https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-connecticut-sun-briann-january-20200806-20200806-i3xcsz3fondgxgkmazfvyte2sq-story.html

Quote:
“I love playing basketball, and when I went up to Connecticut and I did my individual workouts, it just confirmed that I made the right decision,” January said. “Being part of this great group, I feel like I fit in and I was excited to play basketball again, so any opportunity to get out here and get on the court, I was going to take.

PostPosted: 08/06/20 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kaila Charles Wubble Experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24JEmXddlYM

"The part about the food though once it was delivered and she opened the pre-packaged meal" Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 08/09/20 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rookie Charles getting comfortable with Sun

https://www.theday.com/connecticut-sun/20200809/rookie-charles-getting-comfortable-with-sun

Quote:
Some of the team's veterans believe she's their toughest defender at practice.

“It is definitely cool,” Charles responded to the compliment. “Hearing DB (DeWanna Bonner) talking about (at practice), ‘I don’t want Kalia guarding me today’, it gives me confidence because these are the greats, and they think I can guard them.”

Quote:
“She had a big offensive night for us, but what kept her on the floor all of those minutes is she is really physical [against Chicago],” Sun head coach Curt Miller said. “She stayed in plays and gave us a body on (Allie Quigley).”

Quote:
Miller was elated when Charles, a 6-foot-1 wing from Maryland, was still available when the Sun picked her in the second round (No. 23 overall) in April's draft. He said the team had ranked her among the draft's top 10 players.

Quote:
“She’s a strong, physical guard for us,” Jasmine Thomas said. “She’s a tough kid. She works hard. She learns on the fly. You can see she’s adjusting to things that she’s being taught at this level. You saw it (Saturday). She gets in the paint, she can finish with contact, and she’s a physical defender.”

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 08/12/20 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: