Mystics
71%
 71%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 42

Genero36

PostPosted: 10/11/19 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics cap an emotional year-long journey with franchise’s first title

Quote:
While the rest of the Washington Wizards players boarded a charter to New York City, Wall and Beal stayed behind to watch the city’s best basketball team reach the summit of excellence. A place the Wizards, as a franchise, haven’t seen since they were called the Bullets more than 40 years ago.

Quote:
That trophy was presented in a neighborhood the team had supported in the loudest way it knew how — by shutting up.

Ward 8, home for the new Entertainment and Sports Arena, is a commercial district flush with more corner liquor stores than grocery options and a neighborhood where 31 percent of the residents live beneath the poverty line, compared with 13.8 percent overall in the District of Columbia, according to DC Health Matters statistics. In June, Cloud grew disturbed after visiting a local elementary school and discovering that a stray bullet had canceled an event. She responded by staging a media blackout the next game, drawing attention to gun violence in the community.

Her teammates followed the example, and beyond PR lip service, the Mystics spent their inaugural season in Ward 8 as a good neighbor.

Quote:
Delle Donne signed here to be near family. When injuries — and there have been plenty — threatened her prime, she gritted through a deep bruise, mobilized her left knee in a brace or strapped on a plastic face mask and played on. In Game 5, Delle Donne moved chunkily in the paint and did not possess the graceful rhythm of the league’s first 50-40-90 player, but she still scored 21 points on 8-for-16 shooting.

Kristi Toliver was another free agent who came here with a clear intention. She was an NCAA (2006 with Maryland) and WNBA (2016 with the Los Angeles Sparks) champion looking to build another contender from the ground up. In her, the Mystics found their fiery leader who, much like Delle Donne, played as the walking wounded in this series. Yet she sacrificed her body, particularly her neck, to take an offensive foul during the team’s comeback.

And then there’s Meesseman, selected in Thibault’s first draft. She juggled her commitment to her Belgium national team and the Mystics and sat out last year but became the missing piece in this title run. The team was down and nearly out before she took over in the third quarter on four consecutive plays that resulted in free throws or buckets. That team-high 22 points gave her a separate trophy she can place on her own mantel.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/mystics/mystics-cap-an-emotional-year-long-journey-with-franchises-first-title/2019/10/11/ad4483d4-eb93-11e9-85c0-85a098e47b37_story.html

PostPosted: 10/11/19 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The better team won, which is as it should be ...

If it was 4 on 4, the Sun are better, but really, you have to have seven players who can deliver solid minutes.

Both coaches are good, the refs were fine (19-19 in fouls, A.Thomas played 37 minutes and Jones 30), the crowd was energized and it was a fun game to watch.

All in all, 2019 was a pretty good season for the W ...

PostPosted: 10/11/19 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The better team won, which is as it should be ...

If it was 4 on 4, the Sun are better, but really, you have to have seven players who can deliver solid minutes.

Both coaches are good, the refs were fine (19-19 in fouls, A.Thomas played 37 minutes and Jones 30), the crowd was energized and it was a fun game to watch.

All in all, 2019 was a pretty good season for the W ...

Thanks ClayK from a long suffering original STH.

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

PostPosted: 10/11/19 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A Tweet From Pres Barack Obama

Congrats to the @WashMystics on a gutsy, first-ever championship! A great team performance when it counted. If folks aren’t careful, this title thing might become a habit in DC.

threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 10/11/19 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/10/11/mystics-embraced-an-nba-style-offense-it-earned-them-title/

Last edited by threadkiller1201 on 10/11/19 12:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
xwomynjoc

PostPosted: 10/11/19 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
xwomynjoc wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
xwomynjoc wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
xwomynjoc wrote:
Is all you posters able to do is bitch and moan about the refs? Get mover it. It is what it is. Later.

Yes that’s all I do

Just gets annoying. I much prefer to talk about anything other than the stupid refs. They've been a point of contention since the beginning of time.

Agree 1000%. That's just poor losers talking.

WE WON!!! WE ARE WNBA CHAMPIONS!!!

My only quibble was having The Sheila receive the trophy. We won in spite of her. It took so long to win our first because of her. Sit, Sheila, sit.

I couldn't agree with you more about Sheila. It made me want to puck when she was receiving the trophy and well just seeing her almost ruined it for me.

Actually it was Abe Pollin naming Wes Unseld the GM of the Mystics that took the team down the wrong road.

I agree with you, SportsGuru, but I have a beef with Sheila because of the disrespect she gave to the fans after Julie Plank and Angela Taylor were not brought back for (various reasons) and she basically said the fans have nothing to do with anything concerning the Mystics. Bad taste in my mouth since then.

PostPosted: 10/11/19 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Messeman really impressed me in the playoffs. She has been working on her offensive skills. At least I don’t remember her having step back/lean back jumpers, spin dribbles and finishing at the basket so well on cuts and drives. And her jump shooting all the way out to the three point line is so accurate. She still seems to be moving at a somewhat slowed down speed to me, but the results are there.

<scene from 2 years ago at a practice session>

EDD says : "Hey I'm'n'a work on destroying people."

Emma says : "Hey, uh, mind if I try that too?"

<end scene>
<cue touchdown crowd cheering>

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 10/11/19 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

xwomynjoc wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
xwomynjoc wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
xwomynjoc wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
xwomynjoc wrote:
Is all you posters able to do is bitch and moan about the refs? Get mover it. It is what it is. Later.

Yes that’s all I do

Just gets annoying. I much prefer to talk about anything other than the stupid refs. They've been a point of contention since the beginning of time.

My only quibble was having The Sheila receive the trophy. We won in spite of her. It took so long to win our first because of her. Sit, Sheila, sit.

I couldn't agree with you more about Sheila. It made me want to puck when she was receiving the trophy and well just seeing her almost ruined it for me.

Actually it was Abe Pollin naming Wes Unseld the GM of the Mystics that took the team down the wrong road.

I agree with you, SportsGuru, but I have a beef with Sheila because of the disrespect she gave to the fans after Julie Plank and Angela Taylor were not brought back for (various reasons) and she basically said the fans have nothing to do with anything concerning the Mystics. Bad taste in my mouth since then.

What I heard Julie Plank was offer the Mystics GM/Coach job but she turned it down because she just wanted to be the Coach. I look at it this way, the situation with Taylor, Plank and Trudi Lacey later on led to the hiring of Mike Thibault which changed the entire culture of the Mystics team for the better.

greg5222

PostPosted: 10/11/19 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
xwomynjoc wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
xwomynjoc wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
xwomynjoc wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
xwomynjoc wrote:

Yes that’s all I do

What I heard Julie Plank was offer the Mystics GM/Coach job but she turned it down because she just wanted to be the Coach. I look at it this way, the situation with Taylor, Plank and Trudi Lacey later on led to the hiring of Mike Thibault which changed the entire culture of the Mystics team for the better.

Personally my focus is on improving this team for next year. The past is in the rear view mirror. The future is in front of them. Will Kiara Leslie be ready to play next year? Will they draft for a big or a guard? Will they make a trade/s. Do they have salary cap space when they get the new CBA? Will they repeat? SJ is an owner and she ain't going anywhere. Just my take.

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!! 2019 WNBA Champions

PostPosted: 10/11/19 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
xwomynjoc wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
xwomynjoc wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
xwomynjoc wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
xwomynjoc wrote:

Yes that’s all I do

“This is a league full of powerful women,” Cloud said. “Those people that say that we should just ‘shut up and dribble,’ they should just shut up and watch us.”

All your points are true. My point is the disrespect Sheila voiced toward the fans and STHs after it all went down. Some things are hard to forgive. After 2 more years of suffering with Trudi and Ted hired Coach T.

PostPosted: 10/11/19 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amazing game, amazing series, and amazing efforts by so many. HUGE congrats to Mike and all the Marvelous Mystics, and their many fans. Cool

PostPosted: 10/11/19 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
xwomynjoc wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
xwomynjoc wrote:

Yes that’s all I do

I cannot stand to see or hear Sheila Johnson. She came within an inch of destroying the Mystics franchise, and for her to receive the championship trophy was a travesty. That said, Coach T snatched it out of her hands in a New York minute, so the pain didn't last long.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 10/12/19 3:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nsw43 wrote:

I cannot stand to see or hear Sheila Johnson. She came within an inch of destroying the Mystics franchise, and for her to receive the championship trophy was a travesty. That said, Coach T snatched it out of her hands in a New York minute, so the pain didn't last long.

I feel the same way about her. And I find it appalling that she allows herself to be called “Dr.” Johnson when she has never earned a degree that would entitle her to be called that. She gave money to a cheesy school in upstate NY (which was nice of her), and they gave her an honorary degree. So when she was introduced that way at the trophy presentation the other night, it made me cringe. That and watching her all game with her glittery pom poms. The good thing is that most fans now pretty much ignore her.

Huge congratulations to Coach T and the team. They are the ones who matter now. I am so happy for Thibault.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 10/12/19 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A special section on the WNBA champion Mystics.
Washington Post Sports
https://twitter.com/carol_sundahl/status/1183020627742953473?s=20
🏆 Stellar coverage worthy of your champion team!

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/12/19 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Washington Post Sports

TFW a major news publication finally gives some good coverage to the WNBA, but it's to talk about a team you don't like:

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/12/19 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:
Washington Post Sports

TFW a major news publication finally gives some good coverage to the WNBA, but it's to talk about a team you don't like:

I’ve grown very fond of you.

PostPosted: 10/13/19 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics Coach T and ?? will be interviewed tomorrow (Monday) on Good Morning America (ABC) probably between 8:20 and 8:45 AM.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/13/19 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
Mystics Coach T and ?? will be interviewed tomorrow (Monday) on Good Morning America (ABC) probably between 8:20 and 8:45 AM.

I'd assume the ?? is Delle Donne as she's not heading overseas to play.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ripleydc

PostPosted: 10/13/19 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

I would assume the same, but I don’t know with certainty.

greg5222

PostPosted: 10/14/19 7:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
toad455 wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

Was that you who got a mention in a Wash. Post article last week?

PostPosted: 10/14/19 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

Delle Donne and Toliver

PostPosted: 10/14/19 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greg5222 wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
toad455 wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

It was the other BasketCase. 😀

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/14/19 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

Delle Donne and Toliver

I watched it! Thank you Ripley for posting this. As a retired person and night owl, I often roll over about that time and catch another hour of shut eye. But I caught this and I'm glad I did. First of all, they had a replay of the moment of victory to lead off the 8:30-9:00 half hour, then a couple of teasers by Robin Roberts. Coach T, Kristi and Elena were on stage and a number of players and former players were front row. Awesome way to entice others to join in as fans and viewers!!!

~rAf
greg5222

PostPosted: 10/14/19 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
greg5222 wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
toad455 wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

It was the other BasketCase. 😀

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: 10/14/19 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did Seattle get a feature on GMA last year? How about Minnesota, the year before? Sparks in 2016?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: