RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

45 years ago, the first nationally televised women’s colle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/17/20 8:41 am    ::: 45 years ago, the first nationally televised women’s colle Reply Reply with quote

...basketball game was a blowout

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/45-years-ago-the-first-nationally-televised-womens-college-basketball-game-was-a-blowout/2020/03/16/06f8992e-4ec7-11ea-9b5c-eac5b16dafaa_story.html

Quote:
In December 1974, McKnight got a call from U-Md. athletic director Jim Kehoe. He had just negotiated a new television contract with the Mizlou Television Network for the men’s team, which had recently cemented its status as a national powerhouse. Kehoe “dictated to [the network] that they weren’t going to get the contract unless they agreed to nationally televise one women’s basketball game,” McKnight, now 84, told me from her Bethesda home. Kehoe, who died in 2010, wanted McKnight’s Maryland Terpettes (that is what the team was called at the time) to play the defending champs, the Mighty Macs. “I didn’t have to [agree] to it,” says McKnight, “but, of course, I couldn’t turn it down.” Neither could Rush.

PostPosted: 03/20/20 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember watching that game. Unfortunately, the Macs were no longer wearing their skits.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: