80%
 80%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 51

Randy

PostPosted: 10/02/19 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Shades wrote:
Quote:
Usually a herniated disc will heal on its own over time. Be patient, and keep following your treatment plan. If your symptoms don't improve in a few months, you may want to talk to your doctor about surgery.

Unless they’re going to hop her up on pain meds and risk making her condition worse, I’m guessing she’ll be out the rest of the series.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/27754835/elena-delle-donne-getting-treatment-herniated-disk-back

I can't imagine what treatment is actually going to help a herniated disc in 4 days, other than to treat the symptoms of pain and spasms.

These videos talk about treatments and surgery for herniated disk. Lots of non-surgical options, chiropractic, drugs, physical therapy, message, even acupuncture, epidural steroids, TENS and more.

https://www.spine-health.com/video/lumbar-herniated-disc-treatment-video

https://www.spine-health.com/video/treatment-cervical-herniated-disc-video

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/02/19 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
he's always bashed the WNBA and women on Around the Horn. Somehow he continues to get away with it.

Nitpick: Pardon the Interruption

The thing is, he didn't start out like that. I stopped watching PTI a long time ago, because it's too "sportsy" for my tastes, but I listened to his radio show for many more years after that. He was very complimentary of the WNBA before it launched, and when it was announced that Washington was getting a team. Based on my interpretation of his comments from his radio show, my read is that he felt personally embarrassed/aggrieved by the fact that he was super excited about the start of the WNBA and, from his POV, it wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, right out of the gate. His comments over the years have made it seem like, from his perspective, he put his professional reputation "on the line" by hyping up the WNBA, and that he somehow felt humiliated when it "failed to deliver," in his eyes.

So, because he's a bitter, petty old man, he's been taking shots at the W, ever since. I remember an episode of the radio show, several years ago, when the WNBA came up during a news segment (I believe it was around the ASB, the second time that Washington got the All-Star Game, IIRC), and one of his guest co-hosts started teasing him about a column he wrote before the start of the inaugural season, in which he had said something like, "I have seen the future of basketball, and it wears a ponytail." He was so annoyed at being reminded that he'd said that, that he went on an anti-WNBA rant for, like, three minutes.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/02/19 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
These videos talk about treatments and surgery for herniated disk. Lots of non-surgical options, chiropractic, drugs, physical therapy, message, even acupuncture, epidural steroids, TENS and more.

How many non-surgical options do they recommend for professional athletes?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/02/19 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course they don't necessarily need non-surgical options. If they can shoot her up with enough drugs to be able to play without risking making it worse, then she could have the surgery afterwards if it was necessary. The problem might be that risk of aggravating it.

And sometimes a star trying to play through injury can end up being worse than just sitting out and letting the team play without her. If she's half-fit and tries to 'give it a go' that could easily end up being the worst option of all.

PostPosted: 10/02/19 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Randy wrote:

How many non-surgical options do they recommend for professional athletes?

I don't know - but they've been given her treatment since yesterday, so they must be doing something. Some are as simple as ice, heat or message.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/02/19 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Of course they don't necessarily need non-surgical options. If they can shoot her up with enough drugs to be able to play without risking making it worse, then she could have the surgery afterwards if it was necessary. The problem might be that risk of aggravating it.

That's what I'm saying: I mean, if she thinks it's worth the potential risk to her post-basketball quality of life, who am I to talk her out of it? Like, she comes from money, so it's not like she's going to be out on the street, if she can't make a living playing basketball anymore; if she thinks this is her best shot at a championship ring (which, let's face it, it might be: all due respect, but a whole lot of unexpected injuries/absences created a relatively easy path for the Mystics to the Finals this year), then she might be willing to risk it getting worse. But I can't help but compare it to what happened in the NBA this season, with an MVP-caliber player whom I actually like, getting injured in the playoffs, trying to tough it out for his team, and then getting injured again.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/02/19 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So let's say Delle Donne is out. Meesseman starts. Thibault needs to realize that Emma's a poor defender and can't guard A Thomas. Neither Sanders nor Hawkins can guard J Jones or outrebound her. Thibault needs to put Hines-Allen in there for defensive purposes. Guard wise it's pretty even, but the Sun don't have a solid guard on their bench to give either J Thomas or Williams needed rest(5 minutes/half). Hiedeman was okay yesterday, but Banham was useless. The Mystics' deeper bench needs to come through on Sunday if they're to pull off the win without EDD.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 10/02/19 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Starting to feel like a trap game for CON... The Sun may come in expecting to win with a less than 100% EDD and lose instead. CON needs to not let up. Shocked Idea

RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 10/02/19 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sun have never won a finals game 3 in their history

zune69

PostPosted: 10/03/19 3:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:

Both road games.

Randy

PostPosted: 10/03/19 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:

Have the Mystics?

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 10/03/19 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
RI_Sun_Fan wrote:

Have the Mystics?

The Mystics had never won any finals game until this past Sunday (and have only even been to the finals once before, which was last season).

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/03/19 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Without EDD, or even an 80% EDD, the Sun become prohibitive favorites. Something could happen, though, but when you lose the MVP, who also is an effective defender against an opponent's most dangerous player on the glass and around the basket, it's hard to overcome.

PostPosted: 10/03/19 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Without EDD, or even an 80% EDD, the Sun become prohibitive favorites. Something could happen, though, but when you lose the MVP, who also is an effective defender against an opponent's most dangerous player on the glass and around the basket, it's hard to overcome.

Washington are still comfortable favourites with the bookies, by the way (although it has obviously gotten closer than it was to start the series). So if you're that confident you might want to bet your house, ClayK Wink.

PostPosted: 10/03/19 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Delle Donne is working and practicing with Team USA all winter. Not playing in the Olympics if she is able is not very realistic.

Especially, considering it's still looked at as the mountaintop of women's basketball.

PostPosted: 10/03/19 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Washington are still comfortable favourites with the bookies, by the way (although it has obviously gotten closer than it was to start the series). So if you're that confident you might want to bet your house, ClayK Wink.

I learned very early in my sportswriting career never to be on sports. And almost every time I've broken that rule, I've been reminded of why I put it in place.

Also, the betting market reflects what bettors think, and I'm not sure how many bettors know much about the WNBA.

PostPosted: 10/03/19 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Via the Sun's Twitter, the game is officially sold out.

Randy

PostPosted: 10/03/19 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Were you able to get a ticket?

toad455

PostPosted: 10/03/19 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Were you able to get a ticket?

No. But I'm fine watching it on TV. It would be a 3-hour commute for me to Mohegan Sun.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/03/19 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
the betting market reflects what bettors think, and I'm not sure how many bettors know much about the WNBA.

What you're talking about there, Clay, is optimal profit-making conditions!

PostPosted: 10/03/19 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This lag between games may benefit the players, but I think it hurts viewership. There’s a loss in momentum and buzz. By the time game 3 comes along, these finals may be an afterthought.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/04/19 5:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
This lag between games may benefit the players, but I think it hurts viewership. There’s a loss in momentum and buzz. By the time game 3 comes along, these finals may be an afterthought.

Agreed. But they're held down by ESPN's schedule. A schedule of Tue/Thu/Sun/Tue/Thu would have been better.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 10/04/19 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
jmvcity wrote:

Agreed. But they're held down by ESPN's schedule. A schedule of Tue/Thu/Sun/Tue/Thu would have been better.

It's hard on folks with early-starting jobs and on schoolkids when games don't start until 8 pm.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 10/04/19 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
toad455 wrote:
jmvcity wrote:

It's hard on folks with early-starting jobs and on schoolkids when games don't start until 8 pm.

I'm neither of those and I don't like going out to an 8 PM game on a week night. Laughing

RHW

PostPosted: 10/04/19 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wings HC, former Coach of the year and 2x WNBA champion Brian Agler talks on the WNBA Finals and game 3

https://share.transistor.fm/s/bb625128

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: