RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Sun @ Mystics - 10/01/19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Sun
26%
 26%  [ 9 ]
Mystics
73%
 73%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 34

Author Message
lynxmania



Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 8839
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/01/19 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
toad455 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Is everyone asleep here tonight? Laughing


The boards just aren't as active as they used to be. Sad

There is a reason behind the low activity. The quality
people have been chase away by negative individuals that believe they know everything. Only Jehovah knows everything and he is not negative nor arrogant.


X_______

Game threads and postings are down a lot from previous seasons and a lot of our good posters no longer come here. This season was sad for posting imo.


sportsfan48



Joined: 17 Nov 2004
Posts: 1197



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/01/19 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I, personally, have a hard time with this finals because I see way too much EDD everywhere else. When 3 of 5 pictures or more on the website or the WNBA have her face on it, it really gets tiresome. I realize she is the MVP but it is way too much, IMO.

I also think the Mystics would have had a hard time winning this game even with the coveted one the way Jones was playing with her supporting cast.

And I agree that the broadcasting team can be really hard to take when they are not focused on the game but do a decent job when they are.


Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 328
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/19 3:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
* EDD getting hurt was the biggest factor in this game.

* J.Jones played like an MVP candidate tonight.

* A.Thomas and Williams continue their stellar play.

* The Sun got 16 points from players 5 through 8.

* Toliver shot 30%(20 shots) without taking a FT.

* Atkins came back down to earth.

* At what point does ESPN realize they have a terrible broadcasting team? These game are unlistenable.

* As crazy as this sounds..."Connecticut won the Tina Charles trade"

* 4 days between games is ridiculous.


+1 on all of these. As for the last three points:

I definitely would've preferred having the Aces-Mystics broadcast team - Ward & Robinson focus on covering the game (aka their jobs lol) much more than Lobo and Ruocco. I think those two would be okay if they were separated & paired with more serious broadcasters, but together they just get sidetracked wayyyy too often Evil or Very Mad

If the Sun win the Finals here, the Sky might just win the Delle Donne trade if we're measuring it by which of those two teams gets to its championship first. I said it before & I'll say it again: Delle Donne makes Washington's championship window erratic. Even if she does stay healthy for whichever Finals she plays in for the future, that's no guarantee her team will win it. And it sure is a lot harder for her team to win it without her being healthy.

I'd like to see the Finals alternate venues each game (1/3/5 at the higher seed's venue) and have Sat/Sun - Tues/Wed games. If a team is going for the sweep, they deserve to complete it on their home floor. But it'll never happen cuz A) that's a lot of traveling and the league is still profit-challenged, B) the lower seed may always complain about having their game or two only on a weeknight, and C) it'd be harder for road fans to travel like that (although that would be a good thing in the home team's eyes Twisted Evil ).


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52636



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/19 7:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mystics still have enough talent to win. How many teams have a Meesseman (10-17, 8 reb, 3 ast) coming off the bench? But it’s tough to win with JJones (32 pts, 18 reb, 3 blk) playing like that and none of the CON starters playing poorly.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9TajY74GW6A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HWCiV_CUpfI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RBSW72r0iDM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 7787



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/19 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

I definitely would've preferred having the Aces-Mystics broadcast team - Ward & Robinson focus on covering the game (aka their jobs lol) much more than Lobo and Ruocco. I think those two would be okay if they were separated & paired with more serious broadcasters, but together they just get sidetracked wayyyy too often Evil or Very Mad


I've come to appreciate how P.Ward calls a game. She never gets caught up in the unnecessary banter to the point where you want to hit the mute button. She's very professional and sticks to the script (calling the game). When the conversation goes a little off track, Pam knows how to rein it in and put the focus back on the game.

Shades wrote:
The Mystics still have enough talent to win.


True...but I think JT will play better at home, and it's hard to know how the Mystics role players will respond on the road.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10073



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/19 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*The yin and yang of EDD in one game: She's such a tremendous player, and we get focused on her offense -- but her absence defensively and on the boards is what really hurt. After all, she guards Jones, and if she's on the court, Jonquel's numbers aren't going to be nearly the same. Emma's very good on the offensive end, but not nearly as good as EDD on the other side.

And of course, EDD's fragility is part of her narrative. When healthy, no one better, but you never know. A player like Alyssa Thomas isn't as good (though she's very good) but so far, is much, much more durable.

*Announcers are entertainers, and are assigned because of their perceived value in attracting viewers. We're going to watch anyway, so we don't count -- what matters is whether the casual fan who flips to ESPN feels whoever the announcers are make the game more interesting.

*I feel for Thibault and the Mystics' fans because there's nowhere to go emotionally with EDD out. You can't blame EDD (backs are the worst injury in many ways because you're just helpless), and you can't blame a system that relies on the best player in the world, because if you have the best player, you have to take full advantage.

It's just bad luck, that's all, and giving up the home court advantage could be all the edge the Sun need. For me, I'd much, much rather be outplayed than lose because my star got hurt.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Carol Anne



Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Posts: 1663
Location: Seattle


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/19 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington’s Myisha Hines-Allen may be called upon down the stretch — and she’s ready for it

...[the Mystics coaches clearly have faith in Hines-Allen, and her lack of minutes is more a reflection of the team’s depth than anything else.

https://medium.com/her-hoop-stats/washingtons-myisha-hines-allen-may-be-called-upon-down-the-stretch-and-she-s-ready-for-it-80d9dd3ac7ef

It's time to put Mooks on the court!


CourtsideTix



Joined: 19 Nov 2004
Posts: 4550
Location: Washington, DC


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/19 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

*I feel for Thibault and the Mystics' fans because there's nowhere to go emotionally with EDD out. You can't blame EDD (backs are the worst injury in many ways because you're just helpless), and you can't blame a system that relies on the best player in the world, because if you have the best player, you have to take full advantage.

It's just bad luck, that's all, and giving up the home court advantage could be all the edge the Sun need. For me, I'd much, much rather be outplayed than lose because my star got hurt.


Thanks Clay. As I sat there in the arena last night, watching the EDD-less Mystics fight and fight, but just not able to get the job done (and huge credit to all of them for the effort they made), I couldn't help but think that EDD was in the training room feeling horrible that she could not help.

I agree, very bad luck; would much rather be outplayed than lose the star.


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 21561
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/19 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Washington’s Myisha Hines-Allen may be called upon down the stretch — and she’s ready for it

...[the Mystics coaches clearly have faith in Hines-Allen, and her lack of minutes is more a reflection of the team’s depth than anything else.

https://medium.com/her-hoop-stats/washingtons-myisha-hines-allen-may-be-called-upon-down-the-stretch-and-she-s-ready-for-it-80d9dd3ac7ef

It's time to put Mooks on the court!

I said something similar last night on Twitter. I'm even a little surprised they didn't throw her out there last night to see what happened, because they were just getting killed on the glass, and while she's undersized the one thing Hines-Allen will absolutely do is work her ass off on the boards. They probably needed Meesseman out there for her offense, and Hawkins was hitting some shots, but Sanders wasn't really getting anything done at all. Seemed like there was room to see if a shot of energy from Hines-Allen could've helped.

That said, the one type of player I suggested the Mystics could've tried to add during the season was a genuine big. They've got little guards like Mestdagh and Walker-Kimbrough (and Peddy for a while) on the end of the bench, and an undersized post in Hines-Allen. It always seemed like a Krystal Thomas-type might've been more useful as a break-in-case-of-emergency player on the end of the pine. Someone like that could've gone in last night to bang some bodies around and try to stop JJones and AThomas grabbing a thousand offensive boards. The game was basically even apart from Connecticut taking 12 extra shots due to the 17-6 advantage on the offensive glass.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 5267
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/19 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

And of course, EDD's fragility is part of her narrative. When healthy, no one better, but you never know. A player like Alyssa Thomas isn't as good (though she's very good) but so far, is much, much more durable..


I don't know if "durable" is the best word to describe someone playing with a torn labrum in each shoulder. Maybe tough and adaptable are better ways to explain it. Thomas clearly has a high pain threshold and has adjusted her game to account for the injuries. However, we do see the effect on her free-throw shooting. But I agree, in contrast, fragility is part of EDD's narrative. It's been the case going back to college, and it will likely always be a specter hanging over her head.



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 7787



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/19 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

*Announcers are entertainers, and are assigned because of their perceived value in attracting viewers. We're going to watch anyway, so we don't count -- what matters is whether the casual fan who flips to ESPN feels whoever the announcers are make the game more interesting.




Ruocco/Lobo:
Phoe/Chi 247,000 viewers
LA/Conn GM 1 214,000 viewers
LA/Conn GM 2 178,000 viewers
Conn/Wash GM 1 234,000 viewers.


Ward/LaChina:
Minn/Sea 221,000 viewers.
LV/Wash 293,000 viewers.
LV/Wash GM 1 227,000 viewers.
LV/Wash GM 2 262,000 viewers

Matchups, channel, game time and what's being televised on other networks impact ratings. That being said, I'm not impressed with Ruocco/Lobo's "perceived value"


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 21561
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/19 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Certainly an illustration that favourites in broadcasters can very much be a matter of opinion and personal taste. While I agree that Ruocco and Lobo have gotten a little sillier over the years and that sometimes goes to far, I prefer them by miles and miles and miles over Ward and Robinson, both of whom I find pretty annoying and poor.

I love the way that Lobo notices (pretty much instantly) things like the matchups changing from Game 1 to Game 2, Stricklen moving over to Cloud so that Atkins can't exploit her the same way. Or that there was so much cross-matching going on, especially in Game 1, which had the potential to create chaos. She consistently notices important stuff like that which is going to be relevant to the game. By comparison, in my opinion, Robinson is often trite or just wrong, and doesn't offer anywhere near the depth of analysis or perception. I'll live with someone being oddly obsessed with WNBA Store promos if it comes with the good stuff.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25510



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/19 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:
Washington’s Myisha Hines-Allen may be called upon down the stretch — and she’s ready for it

...[the Mystics coaches clearly have faith in Hines-Allen, and her lack of minutes is more a reflection of the team’s depth than anything else.

https://medium.com/her-hoop-stats/washingtons-myisha-hines-allen-may-be-called-upon-down-the-stretch-and-she-s-ready-for-it-80d9dd3ac7ef

It's time to put Mooks on the court!

I said something similar last night on Twitter. I'm even a little surprised they didn't throw her out there last night to see what happened, because they were just getting killed on the glass, and while she's undersized the one thing Hines-Allen will absolutely do is work her ass off on the boards.



That was my thought as well. And even if she got fouls, she would at least work at boxing out.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25510



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/19 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Certainly an illustration that favourites in broadcasters can very much be a matter of opinion and personal taste. While I agree that Ruocco and Lobo have gotten a little sillier over the years and that sometimes goes to far, I prefer them by miles and miles and miles over Ward and Robinson, both of whom I find pretty annoying and poor.

I love the way that Lobo notices (pretty much instantly) things like the matchups changing from Game 1 to Game 2, Stricklen moving over to Cloud so that Atkins can't exploit her the same way. Or that there was so much cross-matching going on, especially in Game 1, which had the potential to create chaos. She consistently notices important stuff like that which is going to be relevant to the game. By comparison, in my opinion, Robinson is often trite or just wrong, and doesn't offer anywhere near the depth of analysis or perception. I'll live with someone being oddly obsessed with WNBA Store promos if it comes with the good stuff.


I like both broadcast teams. They are both waaaay better than the norm we see/hear.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 7787



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/19 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@ Richyyy,

I never said that I prefer Ward/LaChina over Ruocco/Ward (not saying that you did)...I'm just not a fan of the excessive banter, corny jokes and Holly Rowe's unnecessary commentary. Ruocco/Lobo are a very good listen when they keep the banter to a minimum. Holly Rowe is a very good sideline reporter when she's not cutting in every 3 - 4 minutes.


mavcarter
#NAPT


Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 5098
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/19 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Everybody, go back to college and get your Broadcast Journalism degree. Problem solved.



_________________
wrote:
Or maybe said poster should quit being a nuisance when people don’t agree?
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 21561
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/19 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
@ Richyyy,

I never said that I prefer Ward/LaChina over Ruocco/Ward (not saying that you did)...I'm just not a fan of the excessive banter, corny jokes and Holly Rowe's unnecessary commentary. Ruocco/Lobo are a very good listen when they keep the banter to a minimum. Holly Rowe is a very good sideline reporter when she's not cutting in every 3 - 4 minutes.

Yeah, I tend to agree that they have too much extraneous crap these days. Some of it's the fault of all the adverts ESPN want to cram in. They come up with these ideas and there isn't enough dead time left to put them in, so too much gets forced in during the game.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 1322



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/19 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

EDD having MRI today.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/27747003/wnba-mvp-elena-delle-donne-exits-early-set-mri


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 8809
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/19 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Everybody, go back to college and get your Broadcast Journalism degree. Problem solved.



_________________ #Period



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10073



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/19 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Everybody, go back to college and get your Broadcast Journalism degree. Problem solved.



_________________ #Period


Except your broadcast journalism degree is designed to get you a job, and the way ESPN announcers call games is how you get a job.

"Just the facts" will get you on cable access.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17948
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/19 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I love the way that Lobo notices (pretty much instantly) things like the matchups changing from Game 1 to Game 2, Stricklen moving over to Cloud so that Atkins can't exploit her the same way. Or that there was so much cross-matching going on, especially in Game 1, which had the potential to create chaos. She consistently notices important stuff like that which is going to be relevant to the game.


Lobo is very good with both the Xs and Os (in terms of her own knowledge and perception) and explaining the Xs and Os to the casual fan (or people who may follow basketball, but who may not be as knowledgeable regarding the finer intricacies of playcalling).

Lobo also has a pretty good, dry sense of humor. The best example of this is back when games were on the Oxygen network. Lobo was doing color commentary and the play-by-play announcer (it might have been Pam Ward) did a promo for "Nice Package," Oxygen's home improvement show. Without missing a beat, Lobo added, "Oxygen...the euphemism network."

Richyyy wrote:
By comparison, in my opinion, Robinson is often trite or just wrong, and doesn't offer anywhere near the depth of analysis or perception. I'll live with someone being oddly obsessed with WNBA Store promos if it comes with the good stuff.


This is one of the reasons why I do not listen more to her ESPN podcast. She knows the game, but she cannot explain the Xs and Os the way Lobo does. Robinson usually ends up with basketball cliches, such as: "She is playing her game" or "The team is playing their brand of basketball." And it comes across that she is constantly reaching for the box score to add numbers and stats to the recently-uttered cliche.


CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17948
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/19 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2019 WNBA Finals: Takeaways from Game 2, Sun defeat Mystics
Howard Megdal (High Post Hoops)

https://highposthoops.com/2019/10/01/takeaways-washington-mystics-connecticut-sun/


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin