RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Las Vegas Aces 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 22139



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/21/20 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wilson is dealing with a sprained ankle currently. Questionable for Saturday's game. If she's out, Aces will have only 9 players available.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22359
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/21/20 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Wilson is dealing with a sprained ankle currently. Questionable for Saturday's game. If she's out, Aces will have only 9 players available.

Who else are you counting out from their 13-woman roster? Because if it's just Cambage, Plum and Wilson, that's still 10.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 54768



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/21/20 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Never have gotten clarification on Cambage or Plum.

Quote:
“I had gotten 150 percent better,” said Plum, who tore her Achilles without contact while playing hoops in a private gym. “Knowing what I was going for, what I had worked for — it was all off the table. For me, that was the hardest part.”



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 22139



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/21/20 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Wilson is dealing with a sprained ankle currently. Questionable for Saturday's game. If she's out, Aces will have only 9 players available.

Who else are you counting out from their 13-woman roster? Because if it's just Cambage, Plum and Wilson, that's still 10.


Rodgers hasn't arrived yet in the bubble due to personal reasons.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 54768



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/21/20 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Wilson is dealing with a sprained ankle currently. Questionable for Saturday's game. If she's out, Aces will have only 9 players available.

Who else are you counting out from their 13-woman roster? Because if it's just Cambage, Plum and Wilson, that's still 10.


Rodgers hasn't arrived yet in the bubble due to personal reasons.


Is she temporarily suspended then? I think the point is you’re not allowed more than 12 active players on a team.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22359
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/21/20 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing that's been made public allows the roster they've got, in the way it's been announced. My guess is that Cambage got her exemption, which allowed the Warley-Talbert signing, hence it's 12 once Liz is discounted.

So with Plum, Rodgers and Wilson out they'd technically become eligible for an exception, but I doubt they bother.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 22139



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/21/20 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Wilson is dealing with a sprained ankle currently. Questionable for Saturday's game. If she's out, Aces will have only 9 players available.

Who else are you counting out from their 13-woman roster? Because if it's just Cambage, Plum and Wilson, that's still 10.


Rodgers hasn't arrived yet in the bubble due to personal reasons.


Is she temporarily suspended then? I think the point is you’re not allowed more than 12 active players on a team.


Aces got a loophole with Cambage's opt-out not being official. Laimbeer said today during his virtual press conference that it would take up to 2 weeks for a replacement or hardship player to come into the bubble. Wilson may be okay by then and Rodgers will likely be there as well.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 22139



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/22/20 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces have waived Alex Bentley. Shocked



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 1372
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/22/20 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Aces have waived Alex Bentley. Shocked

Laughing He really didn’t know Bentley wasn’t good before signing her*... this off/pre-season for the Aces’ roster in particular has been messsssssy.

*(Assuming Bentley didn’t get injured or wanted to leave the team for some reason)



_________________
"It's not a game of 'how-to', it's a game of 'when-to'." –Sue Bird, on basketball but probably also life
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26757



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/22/20 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing well I guess Bill thinks the disaster that was J.Young as PG is still a good idea.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 22139



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/22/20 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

though there's been no official word, I have to think that Sugar is there at least. If not, Aces may only have 8 available player's this weekend. Maybe Tanisha Wright will suit up after all?



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mavcarter
#NATC


Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 5446
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/22/20 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Laughing well I guess Bill thinks the disaster that was J.Young as PG is still a good idea.


11th in APG, 7th is Assist %, 6th in A/TO.

Yes, she was terrible.

Besides the fact that they still have Robinson and Allen.



_________________
wrote:
Or maybe said poster should quit being a nuisance when people don’t agree?
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 22139



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/22/20 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Wilson is out for Saturday, Aces will have only 8 unless Laimbeer has something up his sleeve.

PG: Robinson/Allen
SG: McBride/Young/Rodgers?
SF: McCoughtry
PF: Hamby
C: Swords/Warley-Talbert
IR: Wilson, Plum



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
davisballer5



Joined: 06 Jun 2011
Posts: 100
Location: Detroit


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/22/20 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Aces have waived Alex Bentley. Shocked


I’m not sure how valid the information is, but on the Aces Instagram page there were a few comments that said Liz Cambage won her medical opt out case and that the Aces are going to resign Bentley with the hardship exception later on.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26757



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/22/20 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Laughing well I guess Bill thinks the disaster that was J.Young as PG is still a good idea.


11th in APG, 7th is Assist %, 6th in A/TO.

Yes, she was terrible.

Besides the fact that they still have Robinson and Allen.


Great example of how numbers can lie. But did you actually watch her? Everything slowed down to a crawl as she very, very, very carefully tried to dribble the ball while backing down the court. And she doesn't nearly have the speed to guard an opposing PG. I thought it especially horrible because I think she could actually become a decent SF (especially if she learns to shoot and finish layups) but sticking her at PG was painful to watch.

But I forgot they have DRob, so hopefully J.Young actually does play at SF instead...



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 1372
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/23/20 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I gotta agree with Myrtle about Jackie Young. She is a great passer... for a wing player. Even at Notre Dame, Ogunbowale and Mabrey each handled the PG duties the vast majority of the time. Imo Laimbeer wouldn't have tried using her there if she weren't the kind of "big guard" that he has an affinity for (though his guards in Vegas have mostly seemed to be on the smaller side, so maybe he's changed a little).

No, for this year, she has to be the one backing up both McCoughtry and McBride, since Rodgers is still MIA. DRob and Allen at this 'point' are both too small and not good enough shooters to play anything other than PG; while it isn't saying much, Young at least can hit 3s better than either one. And having Young run the point would've made even less sense had Bentley still been on the team. Too, there's Kelsey Plum and her future fit with the team to consider. But even despite all that, I think there's an off-chance that he unnecessarily complicates things and still make Young play PG. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ All I know is, I'd hate to see it!



_________________
"It's not a game of 'how-to', it's a game of 'when-to'." –Sue Bird, on basketball but probably also life
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 54768



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/23/20 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liz Cambage gets medical exemption from WNBA season, won't play this year
https://sports.yahoo.com/liz-cambage-medical-exemption-wnba-aces-season-wont-play-this-year-044532580.html

Quote:
Las Vegas Aces star Liz Cambage will receive her full salary for the WNBA season after the league granted her a medical exemption, coach Bill Laimbeer told ESPN on Wednesday.

Laimbeer reportedly said that Cambage wanted to play this season, but “fell severely ill” while playing in China last winter and was ruled a high-risk player by the Aces’ team doctor in June. The WNBA reportedly opted to not challenge that designation.

Cambage’s agent had previously said the player would sit out the season due to health risks, but the exemption now allows her to receive her six-figure salary. Cambage has previously speculated she might have contracted the coronavirus, per ESPN.


The WNBA must have decided to approve everyone after the Ekaren Delle Donne backlash. Cambage’s was a weak case. She was determined a high risk because “she believed she had it before”. She never was tested and it could a case of conventional flu.

If you’re in the camp that having COVID-19 before gives you protective antibodies against getting it again, then she should be less at less risk.

But hers must have been the case where they’re assuming she had it before, not taking for granted that she has antibodies (although they should be able to test for antibodies) and because she was “really sick” from this assumed case of COVID-19, they’re letting her off. Weak, weak, weak.

There are other players who actually tested positive for coronavirus, and another who also believed she had it, but they’re all inside the bubble. Why no fuss for them?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 54768



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/23/20 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/aces/las-vegas-aces-waive-guard-alex-bentley-2079337/

Quote:
Bentley signed with the Aces as a free agent June 16, but has missed most of training camp with a knee injury. In her seven-year WNBA career, she has averaged 10.2 points and 2.9 assists and was named an All-Star in 2015 for the Connecticut Sun.
Las Vegas figures to have a deep contingent of guards in returners Kayla McBride, Jackie Young and Sugar Rogers, who has yet to report to Bradenton, Florida, but is expected to soon. Also, Lindsay Allen returns after missing last season with an injury, and there’s also free agent signees Angel McCoughtry and Danielle Robinson.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 22139



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/23/20 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/aces/las-vegas-aces-waive-guard-alex-bentley-2079337/

Quote:
Bentley signed with the Aces as a free agent June 16, but has missed most of training camp with a knee injury. In her seven-year WNBA career, she has averaged 10.2 points and 2.9 assists and was named an All-Star in 2015 for the Connecticut Sun.
Las Vegas figures to have a deep contingent of guards in returners Kayla McBride, Jackie Young and Sugar Rogers, who has yet to report to Bradenton, Florida, but is expected to soon. Also, Lindsay Allen returns after missing last season with an injury, and there’s also free agent signees Angel McCoughtry and Danielle Robinson.


It's just odd that they'd sign her knowing her injury. Why not bring back Tamera Young instead?



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 54768



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/23/20 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here’s some more quotes from another source pertaining to the apparent Cambage controversy.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wnba/cambage-will-miss-season-after-being-medically-excused/2020/07/23/5f902972-cd01-11ea-99b0-8426e26d203b_story.html

Quote:
The Aces declared Cambage as a protected player who was at high risk for getting severe illness if she contracted COVID-19.

“Our team doctor said, ‘No, she’s not going to play in this environment,’” coach Bill Laimbeer said in a zoom call Thursday. “The league at some point said we may put her in front of the panel. We went OK. That’s the league’s business.”

The league had the option to review cases of players who were declared protected by their teams. If it chose to review the case, the case would go to the panel of physicians.

The Aces were told last week that the league wasn’t going to challenge the decision on Cambage.


Does this clarify anything? Still don’t know the basis for making Cambage a “protected player”, whatever that’s supposed to mean.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5737
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/23/20 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Here’s some more quotes from another source pertaining to the apparent Cambage controversy.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wnba/cambage-will-miss-season-after-being-medically-excused/2020/07/23/5f902972-cd01-11ea-99b0-8426e26d203b_story.html

Quote:
The Aces declared Cambage as a protected player who was at high risk for getting severe illness if she contracted COVID-19.

“Our team doctor said, ‘No, she’s not going to play in this environment,’” coach Bill Laimbeer said in a zoom call Thursday. “The league at some point said we may put her in front of the panel. We went OK. That’s the league’s business.”

The league had the option to review cases of players who were declared protected by their teams. If it chose to review the case, the case would go to the panel of physicians.

The Aces were told last week that the league wasn’t going to challenge the decision on Cambage.


Does this clarify anything? Still don’t know the basis for making Cambage a “protected player”, whatever that’s supposed to mean.


Bill Laimbeer is the source. He would have posted it here but was not allowed to participate in this thread about his team. In a separate thread, he (Bill/AFO) clarifies that what Shades posted here was not correct.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22359
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/23/20 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/aces/las-vegas-aces-waive-guard-alex-bentley-2079337/

Quote:
Bentley signed with the Aces as a free agent June 16, but has missed most of training camp with a knee injury. In her seven-year WNBA career, she has averaged 10.2 points and 2.9 assists and was named an All-Star in 2015 for the Connecticut Sun.
Las Vegas figures to have a deep contingent of guards in returners Kayla McBride, Jackie Young and Sugar Rogers, who has yet to report to Bradenton, Florida, but is expected to soon. Also, Lindsay Allen returns after missing last season with an injury, and there’s also free agent signees Angel McCoughtry and Danielle Robinson.


It's just odd that they'd sign her knowing her injury. Why not bring back Tamera Young instead?

She could, of course, have injured her knee in the camp.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61227
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/23/20 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Here’s some more quotes from another source pertaining to the apparent Cambage controversy.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wnba/cambage-will-miss-season-after-being-medically-excused/2020/07/23/5f902972-cd01-11ea-99b0-8426e26d203b_story.html

Quote:
The Aces declared Cambage as a protected player who was at high risk for getting severe illness if she contracted COVID-19.

“Our team doctor said, ‘No, she’s not going to play in this environment,’” coach Bill Laimbeer said in a zoom call Thursday. “The league at some point said we may put her in front of the panel. We went OK. That’s the league’s business.”

The league had the option to review cases of players who were declared protected by their teams. If it chose to review the case, the case would go to the panel of physicians.

The Aces were told last week that the league wasn’t going to challenge the decision on Cambage.


Does this clarify anything? Still don’t know the basis for making Cambage a “protected player”, whatever that’s supposed to mean.


Bill Laimbeer is the source. He would have posted it here but was not allowed to participate in this thread about his team. In a separate thread, he (Bill/AFO) clarifies that what Shades posted here was not correct.


It's really the WaPo that's inaccurate. The attributed quote is in the article. The only thing Shades said was that "protected player" is a term that hasn't been publicly defined, which is true.



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5737
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/23/20 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Here’s some more quotes from another source pertaining to the apparent Cambage controversy.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wnba/cambage-will-miss-season-after-being-medically-excused/2020/07/23/5f902972-cd01-11ea-99b0-8426e26d203b_story.html

Quote:
The Aces declared Cambage as a protected player who was at high risk for getting severe illness if she contracted COVID-19.

“Our team doctor said, ‘No, she’s not going to play in this environment,’” coach Bill Laimbeer said in a zoom call Thursday. “The league at some point said we may put her in front of the panel. We went OK. That’s the league’s business.”

The league had the option to review cases of players who were declared protected by their teams. If it chose to review the case, the case would go to the panel of physicians.

The Aces were told last week that the league wasn’t going to challenge the decision on Cambage.


Does this clarify anything? Still don’t know the basis for making Cambage a “protected player”, whatever that’s supposed to mean.


Bill Laimbeer is the source. He would have posted it here but was not allowed to participate in this thread about his team. In a separate thread, he (Bill/AFO) clarifies that what Shades posted here was not correct.


It's really the WaPo that's inaccurate. The attributed quote is in the article. The only thing Shades said was that "protected player" is a term that hasn't been publicly defined, which is true.


It's actually the post based on the Yahoo article that states she received a
medical excemption. Shades went on with various opinions about the league granting her a medical exemption after EDD was denied that was all fiction.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10524



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/24/20 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So if Cambage is a protected player, why isn't Delle Donne?



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin