RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Las Vegas Aces 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sithinfiltrator

PostPosted: 07/24/20 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So if Cambage is a protected player, why isn't Delle Donne?

My guess is that the Mystics didn't declare EDD a protected player, but instead put her in front of the panel. If the Mystics had handled EDD the way the Aces handled Cambage, I expect they would have had the same outcome. So it seems the blame is more than likely on the Mystics here. Though Thibault said somewhere that EDD was going to be paid and excused because she was rehabbing her back and they had told her that a month earlier and were surprised that there was all of this stress over the panel.

PostPosted: 07/24/20 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/aces/las-vegas-aces-waive-guard-alex-bentley-2079337/

Quote:
Bentley signed with the Aces as a free agent June 16, but has missed most of training camp with a knee injury. In her seven-year WNBA career, she has averaged 10.2 points and 2.9 assists and was named an All-Star in 2015 for the Connecticut Sun.
Las Vegas figures to have a deep contingent of guards in returners Kayla McBride, Jackie Young and Sugar Rogers, who has yet to report to Bradenton, Florida, but is expected to soon. Also, Lindsay Allen returns after missing last season with an injury, and there’s also free agent signees Angel McCoughtry and Danielle Robinson.

It's just odd that they'd sign her knowing her injury. Why not bring back Tamera Young instead?

I assume there could have been bad feelings and Young would not want to come back in these circumstances.

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/24/20 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I see two viable scenarios:
a) The Mystics' doctor listed Delle Donne differently from how the Aces' doctor listed Cambage. Which wouldn't be a huge surprise given the variable medical opinions on Lyme disease, and that we don't really know all the details about Cambage's condition.
b) They were listed essentially the same, but the league looked at the files and felt one could be rubber-stamped while the other needed greater examination. Also potentially pretty reasonable.

God knows I rarely defend this league and its front office, but I still don't think they did a lot wrong in regard to Delle Donne. They followed their entirely reasonable established protocols, and got unlucky that the MVP was the one who lost out in the system, and then made about as big of a deal out of it as she possibly could, even though she was always going to get paid anyway. Yes, it ended up looking bad. Doesn't mean that it necessarily was bad.

PostPosted: 07/24/20 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I see two viable scenarios:
a) The Mystics' doctor listed Delle Donne differently from how the Aces' doctor listed Cambage. Which wouldn't be a huge surprise given the variable medical opinions on Lyme disease, and that we don't really know all the details about Cambage's condition.
b) They were listed essentially the same, but the league looked at the files and felt one could be rubber-stamped while the other needed greater examination. Also potentially pretty reasonable.

God knows I rarely defend this league and its front office, but I still don't think they did a lot wrong in regard to Delle Donne. They followed their entirely reasonable established protocols, and got unlucky that the MVP was the one who lost out in the system, and then made about as big of a deal out of it as she possibly could, even though she was always going to get paid anyway. Yes, it ended up looking bad. Doesn't mean that it necessarily was bad.

For the WNBA in this case, I think that's a distinction without a difference.

And as I've said, that's why you have commissioners.

PostPosted: 07/31/20 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 07/31/20 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces sign Cierra Burdick

PostPosted: 07/31/20 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Aces sign Cierra Burdick

Does she have to go through quarantine 4 days right ?

PostPosted: 07/31/20 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Aces sign Cierra Burdick

I would have thought they'd go for a big. That's their weakest point. And it's not like they have a shortage of wings.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 07/31/20 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It looks like she played for the Liberty in 2017. Another player Laimbeer is familiar with.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/31/20 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://aces.wnba.com/news/aces-sign-forward-cierra-burdick/

Quote:
The 6-2 Tennessee grad should be eligible to join the Aces for practices and games early next week after completing the league’s quarantine protocol when she arrives at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida.

PostPosted: 07/31/20 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:
Aces sign Cierra Burdick

I would have thought they'd go for a big. That's their weakest point. And it's not like they have a shortage of wings.

I'm guessing she'll go between the 3 and the 4, since Swords, AWT, and Wilson can all play the 5. Though she always seemed to have that 'tweener' problem that doesn't seem to exist in overseas leagues but does in the W. Nevertheless, she'll become important if any of Wilson, Hamby, or McCoughtry have to miss games at any point for whatever reason.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/31/20 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Aces sign Cierra Burdick

Does she have to go through quarantine 4 days right ?

It's possible she won't be available for two weeks, though they gave no time line for when she'll be able to play.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/31/20 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:
Aces sign Cierra Burdick

Given how they've played the first two games, I actually think that their biggest weakness is still in the backcourt. Plum has quietly turned out to be a much bigger loss than Cambage, since the lack of a dominant center has definitely not impacted their ability to score inside.

Either way, I don't know how Burdick is going to help them, though.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/01/20 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They've got to get a lot better play out of McBride and Young. I'd be interested to hear what guards were available that Bill passed up on to take Burdick. Plum and Cambage still count against the cap, right?

toad455

PostPosted: 08/08/20 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces have claimed Megan Huff off of waivers and waived Avery Warley-Talbert.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 08/08/20 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Laimbeer loves those ready-to-go Lynx castoffs.

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 08/08/20 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Huff can stretch the floor, better spacing for the Aces inside. Sugar and Kayla gotta start hitting their 3s consistently.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/09/20 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces sign Emma Cannon

PostPosted: 09/09/20 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Aces sign Emma Cannon

They now have 13 listed on their roster. Out of curiosity, is someone else injured/unavailable besides Cambage and Plum? (I see Burdick didn't play last night) Or does this officially mean that Cambage has not counted as a roster spot this whole time? (Maybe others knew that already, but it'd be news to me)

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/09/20 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cambage, once medically cleared to opt out, did not count for a roster spot. They've had a spot open since they waived Megan Huff on August 17th.

PostPosted: 09/10/20 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Emma Cannon played with Megan Gustafson overseas. They had similar stats, but going by efficiency, I’d say Gustafson had the better season.

It must be an aggravating process to have the player quarantine for about a week before trying out for the team.... and then it’s no guarantee they’ll get the job.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/29/20 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

20Q: Liz Cambage

https://www.playboy.com/read/20q-liz-cambage

Quote:
Me doing Playboy is me celebrating my sexuality like, “Yeah, I am a straight six-foot-eight woman who likes to have sex.”

PostPosted: 09/29/20 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
Me doing Playboy is me celebrating my sexuality like, “Yeah, I am a straight six-foot-eight woman who likes to have sex.”

Okay, I'll be the first to admit it: I wanted to know. I didn't want to ask, because I didn't want to be labeled as "that guy."

What guy?

That guy.

Quote:
Everyone’s always expecting me to be gay. I’m like, “No, I love men.” I remember when I shaved half my head at 18 or 19 and my mom sat me down. She thought that was me coming out. I was like, “No, I just look good with a shaved head.”

LOL

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
StevenHW

PostPosted: 10/01/20 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

http://beyondthew.com/im-so-proud-of-my-six-foot-eight-body-and-everything-i-can-do-with-it-liz-cambage-in-playboy/

PostPosted: 10/01/20 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Okay, I'll be the first to admit it: I wanted to know. I didn't want to ask, because I didn't want to be labeled as "that guy."

What guy?

That guy.

Quote:
Everyone’s always expecting me to be gay. I’m like, “No, I love men.” I remember when I shaved half my head at 18 or 19 and my mom sat me down. She thought that was me coming out. I was like, “No, I just look good with a shaved head.”

LOL

It's Liz Cambage we're talking about here. If anyone in this League were to identify as a 'statistically' less common sexual orientation, such as bisexual, pansexual or, heck, even asexual, it'd be her. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: