RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/27/19 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was just a season ago that a first time head coach posted a better record with a less talented team. Year Two didn't go as well.

PostPosted: 09/27/19 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Fisher's team rolled over and died in the playoffs.

Or, perhaps, Connecticut killed them?

If Connecticut steamrolls Washington in the finals, would we also attribute that solely to Washington, or would the Sun finally get any credit for it, and ease it on both Parker or Fisher? For any faults of anyone in the Sparks' side, there were two teams in the series. We're about to see how the other one performs against the best team in the regular season.

Fisher can definitely be faulted for not finding any meaningful strategy to counter Connecticut in the third and fourth, and even more so for benching Parker when I find it hard to believe she alone could find an answer by just playing harder, but I want to see how the finals play out first. It will be better measure of how strong a playoff team did make LA roll over.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/27/19 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PicknLOL wrote:
ClayK wrote:

If Connecticut steamrolls Washington in the finals, would we also attribute that solely to Washington, or would the Sun finally get any credit for it, and ease it on both Parker or Fisher? For any faults of anyone in the Sparks' side, there were two teams in the series. We're about to see how the other one performs against the best team in the regular season.

Fisher can definitely be faulted for not finding any meaningful strategy to counter Connecticut in the third and fourth, and even more so for benching Parker when I find it hard to believe she alone could find an answer by just playing harder, but I want to see how the finals play out first. It will be better measure of how strong a playoff team did make LA roll over.

People prefer to give blame rather than credit.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/27/19 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It was just a season ago that a first time head coach posted a better record with a less talented team. Year Two didn't go as well.

Two totally different situations...And you’re overhyping the talent on LA’s roster.

*With the exception of Dantas, Atlanta was relatively healthy in 2018. Angel only missed 5 gms. The Dreams top 7 players missed 14 gms….LA’s top 7 players missed 60 gms.
* LA’s 2nd best player had one of her worse seasons as a pro.
* LA started career backups/37% shooters at the sg/sf positions.
* LA lost their starting guard(Sims) and 6th Woman(Lavender) before the season even started

If Candace sits out all of next season (Angel) I don’t think Nneka or Gray would fall off a cliff and play like trash. LA went 8-4 without Parker this season.

Last edited by zune69 on 09/27/19 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 09/27/19 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PicknLOL wrote:
ClayK wrote:

LA beat the Sun twice in the regular season. Their records were only one game apart. This series should not have been as one sided as it turned out.

PostPosted: 09/27/19 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
PicknLOL wrote:
ClayK wrote:

People prefer to give blame rather than credit.

You would think the Sparks were the higher seeded team.

The Sun were suppose to win that series..

PostPosted: 09/27/19 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Two totally different situations...And you’re overhyping the talent on LA’s roster.

*With the exception of Dantas, Atlanta was relatively healthy in 2018. Angel only missed 5 gms. The Dreams top 7 players missed 14 gms….LA’s top 7 players missed 60 gms.
* LA’s 2nd best player had one of her worse seasons as a pro.
* LA started career backups/37% shooters at the sg/sf positions.
* LA lost their starting guard(Sims) and 6th Woman(Lavender) before the season even started

If Candace sits out all of next season (Angel) I don’t think Nneka or Gray would fall off a cliff and play like trash. LA went 8-4 without Parker this season.

(Doing my best Shannon Sharpe impression) Now, zune69, LA didn't exactly "lose" Sims and Lavender did they? Weren't they both traded?

Woudn't Nneka sitting out a whole season the be equivalent of Angel instead of Parker? Parker is more like Tiffany Hayes or Elizabeth Williams of the Sparks right?

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/27/19 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sparks were competitive in game one, and the starters simply didn't show up in game three. Maybe the Sun got a lot better, but really, was that a playoff effort from Parker or Gray or Williams?

I never got any sense of urgency from the Sparks ... to me, as just someone watching on TV, they quit when things didn't go their way. And I don't think it's asking too much to expect more ...

PostPosted: 09/27/19 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:

(Doing my best Shannon Sharpe impression) Now, zune69, LA didn't exactly "lose" Sims and Lavender did they? Weren't they both traded?

Woudn't Nneka sitting out a whole season the be equivalent of Angel instead of Parker? Parker is more like Tiffany Hayes or Elizabeth Williams of the Sparks right?

Yeah, Sims was traded for a 3.3 ppg/35% shooting player and Lavender was traded for a 2nd rd pk. Laughing ...I do like Jones. I just wish she got more playing time.

Candace avg 18p/8r/5a in 2018...CP is still a top 10 player when healthy and arguably the most impactful player on the Sparks.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/27/19 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:

The disrespect! #HateHard Approved!

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
willtalk

PostPosted: 09/28/19 4:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Yeah, Sims was traded for a 3.3 ppg/35% shooting player and Lavender was traded for a 2nd rd pk. Laughing ...I do like Jones. I just wish she got more playing time.

Candace avg 18p/8r/5a in 2018...CP is still a top 10 player when healthy and arguably the most impactful player on the Sparks.

I think the reason they traded for Jones was two fold. They needed someone with less of a salary than Sims and she had a really good game against them once in the playoffs. I don't see what you see in her. She does not make good decisions. It seems the game at this level is too fast for her. The problem with her is not her physical abilities, but her BBIQ and ability to process situations quickly enough. That is something that generally does not improve. Minn knew that she was not a WNBA player and got rid of her.

As to Parker's heath- You are just making excuses for her lack of effort. She was plenty healthy this season. If she wasn't she would have not have performed well in any of the games she played. That is typically Candice. She plays when she wants to play. Remember the rep she has for not playing well back to back? Well, that reflects that she will never leave everything on the floor. She always makes sure she still has plenty left in her tank. Never a sense of desperation. She should have been the freshest player on the team, because of the time she missed. So she should have shown the most hustle. That never playing well on back to backs seems to have been extended to include far more rest games in between the good ones.

I came into this with no perspective of Candice. I really wanted to like her, but after watching her the last two season it is obvious to me that she seldom gives all that she is capable of. She just coasts through games. That attitude is contagious on a basketball team. They will never win anything with her on the team.

PostPosted: 09/28/19 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:

Minn knew that she was not a WNBA player and got rid of her.

Yeah, just like Minny thought Howard wasn't a good player. Let's give Jones an opportunity to perform before we throw her in the garbage disposal.

willtalk wrote:
As to Parker's heath- You are just making excuses for her lack of effort. .

I'm so unbias that people think I'm making excuses for Candace. Laughing ...I called CP out after the series was over

zune69 wrote:

After Parker's game 2 performance It's hard to blame Fisher for giving CP the quick hook. CP said she was physically and mentally fine. So there's no excuse for the lack of effort.

GEF34

PostPosted: 09/28/19 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
zune69 wrote:

I think the reason they traded for Jones was two fold. They needed someone with less of a salary than Sims and she had a really good game against them once in the playoffs. I don't see what you see in her. She does not make good decisions. It seems the game at this level is too fast for her. The problem with her is not her physical abilities, but her BBIQ and ability to process situations quickly enough. That is something that generally does not improve. Minn knew that she was not a WNBA player and got rid of her.

As to Parker's heath- You are just making excuses for her lack of effort. She was plenty healthy this season. If she wasn't she would have not have performed well in any of the games she played. That is typically Candice. She plays when she wants to play. Remember the rep she has for not playing well back to back? Well, that reflects that she will never leave everything on the floor. She always makes sure she still has plenty left in her tank. Never a sense of desperation. She should have been the freshest player on the team, because of the time she missed. So she should have shown the most hustle. That never playing well on back to backs seems to have been extended to include far more rest games in between the good ones.

I came into this with no perspective of Candice. I really wanted to like her, but after watching her the last two season it is obvious to me that she seldom gives all that she is capable of. She just coasts through games. That attitude is contagious on a basketball team. They will never win anything with her on the team.

Well the Sparks have already won a title with her so they have already shown them can win with her on the team so “never” is already not true. And why do you think recovering from and injury will make her the “freshest” on the team. She didn’t sit out the beginning of the season for the fun of it to, she sat out be cause she physically wasn’t cleared to play, so when she was cleared she wasn’t in 100% tip top basketball shape ready to take on the world.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 09/28/19 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:

Sims and Lavender were both coming off career lows in various stats when the Sparks traded them. Up until the 2019 season, Sims ppg has declined every year since she's been in the league She shot .190 and .273 from three in her two seasons with the Sparks. I guess the change of scenery did them both some good.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/28/19 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:

Sims and Lavender were both coming off career lows in various stats when the Sparks traded them. Up until the 2019 season, Sims ppg has declined every year since she's been in the league She shot .190 and .273 from three in her two seasons with the Sparks. I guess the change of scenery did them both some good.

Lavender and Sims were proven pieces who help the Sparks get to the finals. Sims/Lavender's decline in play had more to do with both players being unhappy with their roles. That's why they wanted out of LA.
* After suffering an ankle injury early in the season, Sims had a great finshed to the 2017 regular season season: Last 13 gms Sims avg 15.5p,5.1a on 48%...Sparks went 11-2

*Sims continued her great play into the playoffs where she avg 15.9p/3.6a on 44%/35%93% shooting...The Sparks lost in the finals to the Lynx.

*Sims then starts the 2018 season on fire...First 5 gm of the season Sims avg 16.8p,3.0a on 50% fg...LA had a 4-1 record.....First 10 gms Sims avg 13.0p,3.3a on 43% fg...LA had a 8-2

Sims balled her ass off and LA won games when she was given the opportunity.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 09/28/19 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:

Lavender and Sims were proven pieces who help the Sparks get to the finals. Sims/Lavender's decline in play had more to do with both players being unhappy with their roles. That's why they wanted out of LA.
* After suffering an ankle injury early in the season, Sims had a great finshed to the 2017 regular season season: Last 13 gms Sims avg 15.5p,5.1a on 48%...Sparks went 11-2

*Sims continued her great play into the playoffs where she avg 15.9p/3.6a on 44%/35%93% shooting...The Sparks lost in the finals to the Lynx.

*Sims then starts the 2018 season on fire...First 5 gm of the season Sims avg 16.8p,3.0a on 50% fg...LA had a 4-1 record.....First 10 gms Sims avg 13.0p,3.3a on 43% fg...LA had a 8-2

Sims balled her ass off and LA won games when she was given the opportunity.

I see that you're see you're excusing SEASONS of declining play from both players as them just being unhappy with their roles. I thought you didn't like players that give uninspired effort. (Candace) or it just convenient for you to use to make it a point. Very Happy

zune69

PostPosted: 09/28/19 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:

Skip I mean zune69, I see that you're see you're excusing SEASONS of declining play from both players as them just being unhappy with their roles. I thought you didn't like players that give uninspired effort. (Candace) or it just convenient for you to use to make it a point. Very Happy

Being pushed out and poorly utilized had a lot to do with Sims fall off....Sims was unable to play her game with Parker dominating the facilitor role. Lavender on the other hand was mediocre in 2018, no excuse.

Also, Candace has a history of giving lackluster performances.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 09/28/19 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:

Skip I mean zune69, I see that you're see you're excusing SEASONS of declining play from both players as them just being unhappy with their roles. I thought you didn't like players that give uninspired effort. (Candace) or it just convenient for you to use to make it a point. Very Happy

Being pushed out and poorly utilized had a lot to do with Sims fall off....Sims was unable to play her game with Parker dominating the facilitor role. Lavender on the other hand was mediocre in 2018, no excuse.

Also, Candace has a history of giving lackluster performances.

And Lavender and Sims has had a history of declining play.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/29/19 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/1178369365361606656

Quote:
Be prepared for a revealing piece on a West coast WNBA team to be dropped tomorrow

PostPosted: 09/29/19 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
Be prepared for a revealing piece on a West coast WNBA team to be dropped tomorrow

So - an explanation of the Sparks demise in the playoffs?

toad455

PostPosted: 09/29/19 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

Parker retiring?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mayajustwins

PostPosted: 09/30/19 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding Parker to Minnesota and Shades response.

Problem 3 would be how many of the alleged 3000 STH (per Carley Knox in preseason) would demand their money back for having the Princess on the roster. Only Diana Taurasi has a chance to be more hated in Minnesota.

PostPosted: 09/30/19 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mayajustwins wrote:

Problem 3 would be how many of the alleged 3000 STH (per Carley Knox in preseason) would demand their money back for having the Princess on the roster. Only Diana Taurasi has a chance to be more hated in Minnesota.

The answer is none. People hate players until they are on their own team.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 09/30/19 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
mayajustwins wrote:

The answer is none. People hate players until they are on their own team.

X______

Hello, if Sims can do it Shocked Laughing Wink

toad455

PostPosted: 09/30/19 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

Wonder when this "piece" gets revealed?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 4 of 18

Jump to: