RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Los Angeles Sparks 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59904
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/27/19 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was just a season ago that a first time head coach posted a better record with a less talented team. Year Two didn't go as well.



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
PicknLOL



Joined: 16 Jul 2019
Posts: 83



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/27/19 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Fisher's team rolled over and died in the playoffs.


Or, perhaps, Connecticut killed them?

If Connecticut steamrolls Washington in the finals, would we also attribute that solely to Washington, or would the Sun finally get any credit for it, and ease it on both Parker or Fisher? For any faults of anyone in the Sparks' side, there were two teams in the series. We're about to see how the other one performs against the best team in the regular season.

Fisher can definitely be faulted for not finding any meaningful strategy to counter Connecticut in the third and fourth, and even more so for benching Parker when I find it hard to believe she alone could find an answer by just playing harder, but I want to see how the finals play out first. It will be better measure of how strong a playoff team did make LA roll over.


Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 9470



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/27/19 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PicknLOL wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Fisher's team rolled over and died in the playoffs.


Or, perhaps, Connecticut killed them?

If Connecticut steamrolls Washington in the finals, would we also attribute that solely to Washington, or would the Sun finally get any credit for it, and ease it on both Parker or Fisher? For any faults of anyone in the Sparks' side, there were two teams in the series. We're about to see how the other one performs against the best team in the regular season.

Fisher can definitely be faulted for not finding any meaningful strategy to counter Connecticut in the third and fourth, and even more so for benching Parker when I find it hard to believe she alone could find an answer by just playing harder, but I want to see how the finals play out first. It will be better measure of how strong a playoff team did make LA roll over.


People prefer to give blame rather than credit.



_________________
2019 RebKell Tipping Contest Champion
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 7788



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/27/19 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It was just a season ago that a first time head coach posted a better record with a less talented team. Year Two didn't go as well.


Two totally different situations...And you’re overhyping the talent on LA’s roster.

*With the exception of Dantas, Atlanta was relatively healthy in 2018. Angel only missed 5 gms. The Dreams top 7 players missed 14 gms….LA’s top 7 players missed 60 gms.
* LA’s 2nd best player had one of her worse seasons as a pro.
* LA started career backups/37% shooters at the sg/sf positions.
* LA lost their starting guard(Sims) and 6th Woman(Lavender) before the season even started


If Candace sits out all of next season (Angel) I don’t think Nneka or Gray would fall off a cliff and play like trash. LA went 8-4 without Parker this season.




Last edited by zune69 on 09/27/19 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59904
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/27/19 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PicknLOL wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Fisher's team rolled over and died in the playoffs.


Or, perhaps, Connecticut killed them?


LA beat the Sun twice in the regular season. Their records were only one game apart. This series should not have been as one sided as it turned out.



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
mavcarter
#NAPT


Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 5106
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/27/19 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
PicknLOL wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Fisher's team rolled over and died in the playoffs.


Or, perhaps, Connecticut killed them?

If Connecticut steamrolls Washington in the finals, would we also attribute that solely to Washington, or would the Sun finally get any credit for it, and ease it on both Parker or Fisher? For any faults of anyone in the Sparks' side, there were two teams in the series. We're about to see how the other one performs against the best team in the regular season.

Fisher can definitely be faulted for not finding any meaningful strategy to counter Connecticut in the third and fourth, and even more so for benching Parker when I find it hard to believe she alone could find an answer by just playing harder, but I want to see how the finals play out first. It will be better measure of how strong a playoff team did make LA roll over.


People prefer to give blame rather than credit.


You would think the Sparks were the higher seeded team.

The Sun were suppose to win that series..



_________________
wrote:
Or maybe said poster should quit being a nuisance when people don’t agree?
Davis4632



Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 597



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/27/19 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
pilight wrote:
It was just a season ago that a first time head coach posted a better record with a less talented team. Year Two didn't go as well.


Two totally different situations...And you’re overhyping the talent on LA’s roster.

*With the exception of Dantas, Atlanta was relatively healthy in 2018. Angel only missed 5 gms. The Dreams top 7 players missed 14 gms….LA’s top 7 players missed 60 gms.
* LA’s 2nd best player had one of her worse seasons as a pro.
* LA started career backups/37% shooters at the sg/sf positions.
* LA lost their starting guard(Sims) and 6th Woman(Lavender) before the season even started


If Candace sits out all of next season (Angel) I don’t think Nneka or Gray would fall off a cliff and play like trash. LA went 8-4 without Parker this season.


(Doing my best Shannon Sharpe impression) Now, zune69, LA didn't exactly "lose" Sims and Lavender did they? Weren't they both traded?

Woudn't Nneka sitting out a whole season the be equivalent of Angel instead of Parker? Parker is more like Tiffany Hayes or Elizabeth Williams of the Sparks right?


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10096



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/27/19 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sparks were competitive in game one, and the starters simply didn't show up in game three. Maybe the Sun got a lot better, but really, was that a playoff effort from Parker or Gray or Williams?

I never got any sense of urgency from the Sparks ... to me, as just someone watching on TV, they quit when things didn't go their way. And I don't think it's asking too much to expect more ...



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 7788



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/27/19 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:


(Doing my best Shannon Sharpe impression) Now, zune69, LA didn't exactly "lose" Sims and Lavender did they? Weren't they both traded?

Woudn't Nneka sitting out a whole season the be equivalent of Angel instead of Parker? Parker is more like Tiffany Hayes or Elizabeth Williams of the Sparks right?



Yeah, Sims was traded for a 3.3 ppg/35% shooting player and Lavender was traded for a 2nd rd pk. Laughing ...I do like Jones. I just wish she got more playing time.

Candace avg 18p/8r/5a in 2018...CP is still a top 10 player when healthy and arguably the most impactful player on the Sparks.


Silky Johnson



Joined: 29 Sep 2014
Posts: 1265



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/27/19 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
Woudn't Nneka sitting out a whole season the be equivalent of Angel instead of Parker? Parker is more like Tiffany Hayes or Elizabeth Williams of the Sparks right?


The disrespect! #HateHard Approved!



_________________
Professional Hater. The Baron of #HateHard
willtalk



Joined: 13 Apr 2012
Posts: 800
Location: NorCal


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/28/19 4:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:


Yeah, Sims was traded for a 3.3 ppg/35% shooting player and Lavender was traded for a 2nd rd pk. Laughing ...I do like Jones. I just wish she got more playing time.

Candace avg 18p/8r/5a in 2018...CP is still a top 10 player when healthy and arguably the most impactful player on the Sparks.


I think the reason they traded for Jones was two fold. They needed someone with less of a salary than Sims and she had a really good game against them once in the playoffs. I don't see what you see in her. She does not make good decisions. It seems the game at this level is too fast for her. The problem with her is not her physical abilities, but her BBIQ and ability to process situations quickly enough. That is something that generally does not improve. Minn knew that she was not a WNBA player and got rid of her.

As to Parker's heath- You are just making excuses for her lack of effort. She was plenty healthy this season. If she wasn't she would have not have performed well in any of the games she played. That is typically Candice. She plays when she wants to play. Remember the rep she has for not playing well back to back? Well, that reflects that she will never leave everything on the floor. She always makes sure she still has plenty left in her tank. Never a sense of desperation. She should have been the freshest player on the team, because of the time she missed. So she should have shown the most hustle. That never playing well on back to backs seems to have been extended to include far more rest games in between the good ones.

I came into this with no perspective of Candice. I really wanted to like her, but after watching her the last two season it is obvious to me that she seldom gives all that she is capable of. She just coasts through games. That attitude is contagious on a basketball team. They will never win anything with her on the team.



_________________
No one one is ever as good as their best game, nor as bad as their worst.
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 7788



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/28/19 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:

Minn knew that she was not a WNBA player and got rid of her.


Yeah, just like Minny thought Howard wasn't a good player. Let's give Jones an opportunity to perform before we throw her in the garbage disposal.

willtalk wrote:
As to Parker's heath- You are just making excuses for her lack of effort. .


I'm so unbias that people think I'm making excuses for Candace. Laughing ...I called CP out after the series was over

zune69 wrote:

After Parker's game 2 performance It's hard to blame Fisher for giving CP the quick hook. CP said she was physically and mentally fine. So there's no excuse for the lack of effort.


GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 13687
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/28/19 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
zune69 wrote:


Yeah, Sims was traded for a 3.3 ppg/35% shooting player and Lavender was traded for a 2nd rd pk. Laughing ...I do like Jones. I just wish she got more playing time.

Candace avg 18p/8r/5a in 2018...CP is still a top 10 player when healthy and arguably the most impactful player on the Sparks.


I think the reason they traded for Jones was two fold. They needed someone with less of a salary than Sims and she had a really good game against them once in the playoffs. I don't see what you see in her. She does not make good decisions. It seems the game at this level is too fast for her. The problem with her is not her physical abilities, but her BBIQ and ability to process situations quickly enough. That is something that generally does not improve. Minn knew that she was not a WNBA player and got rid of her.

As to Parker's heath- You are just making excuses for her lack of effort. She was plenty healthy this season. If she wasn't she would have not have performed well in any of the games she played. That is typically Candice. She plays when she wants to play. Remember the rep she has for not playing well back to back? Well, that reflects that she will never leave everything on the floor. She always makes sure she still has plenty left in her tank. Never a sense of desperation. She should have been the freshest player on the team, because of the time she missed. So she should have shown the most hustle. That never playing well on back to backs seems to have been extended to include far more rest games in between the good ones.

I came into this with no perspective of Candice. I really wanted to like her, but after watching her the last two season it is obvious to me that she seldom gives all that she is capable of. She just coasts through games. That attitude is contagious on a basketball team. They will never win anything with her on the team.


Well the Sparks have already won a title with her so they have already shown them can win with her on the team so “never” is already not true. And why do you think recovering from and injury will make her the “freshest” on the team. She didn’t sit out the beginning of the season for the fun of it to, she sat out be cause she physically wasn’t cleared to play, so when she was cleared she wasn’t in 100% tip top basketball shape ready to take on the world.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
Davis4632



Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 597



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/28/19 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:


(Doing my best Shannon Sharpe impression) Now, zune69, LA didn't exactly "lose" Sims and Lavender did they? Weren't they both traded?

Woudn't Nneka sitting out a whole season the be equivalent of Angel instead of Parker? Parker is more like Tiffany Hayes or Elizabeth Williams of the Sparks right?



Yeah, Sims was traded for a 3.3 ppg/35% shooting player and Lavender was traded for a 2nd rd pk. Laughing ...I do like Jones. I just wish she got more playing time.

Candace avg 18p/8r/5a in 2018...CP is still a top 10 player when healthy and arguably the most impactful player on the Sparks.


Sims and Lavender were both coming off career lows in various stats when the Sparks traded them. Up until the 2019 season, Sims ppg has declined every year since she's been in the league She shot .190 and .273 from three in her two seasons with the Sparks. I guess the change of scenery did them both some good.


zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 7788



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/28/19 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:


Sims and Lavender were both coming off career lows in various stats when the Sparks traded them. Up until the 2019 season, Sims ppg has declined every year since she's been in the league She shot .190 and .273 from three in her two seasons with the Sparks. I guess the change of scenery did them both some good.


Lavender and Sims were proven pieces who help the Sparks get to the finals. Sims/Lavender's decline in play had more to do with both players being unhappy with their roles. That's why they wanted out of LA.
.
* After suffering an ankle injury early in the season, Sims had a great finshed to the 2017 regular season season: Last 13 gms Sims avg 15.5p,5.1a on 48%...Sparks went 11-2

*Sims continued her great play into the playoffs where she avg 15.9p/3.6a on 44%/35%93% shooting...The Sparks lost in the finals to the Lynx.

*Sims then starts the 2018 season on fire...First 5 gm of the season Sims avg 16.8p,3.0a on 50% fg...LA had a 4-1 record.....First 10 gms Sims avg 13.0p,3.3a on 43% fg...LA had a 8-2


Sims balled her ass off and LA won games when she was given the opportunity.


Davis4632



Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 597



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/28/19 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:


Sims and Lavender were both coming off career lows in various stats when the Sparks traded them. Up until the 2019 season, Sims ppg has declined every year since she's been in the league She shot .190 and .273 from three in her two seasons with the Sparks. I guess the change of scenery did them both some good.


Lavender and Sims were proven pieces who help the Sparks get to the finals. Sims/Lavender's decline in play had more to do with both players being unhappy with their roles. That's why they wanted out of LA.
.
* After suffering an ankle injury early in the season, Sims had a great finshed to the 2017 regular season season: Last 13 gms Sims avg 15.5p,5.1a on 48%...Sparks went 11-2

*Sims continued her great play into the playoffs where she avg 15.9p/3.6a on 44%/35%93% shooting...The Sparks lost in the finals to the Lynx.

*Sims then starts the 2018 season on fire...First 5 gm of the season Sims avg 16.8p,3.0a on 50% fg...LA had a 4-1 record.....First 10 gms Sims avg 13.0p,3.3a on 43% fg...LA had a 8-2


Sims balled her ass off and LA won games when she was given the opportunity.

I see that you're see you're excusing SEASONS of declining play from both players as them just being unhappy with their roles. I thought you didn't like players that give uninspired effort. (Candace) or it just convenient for you to use to make it a point. Very Happy


zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 7788



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/28/19 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:

Skip I mean zune69, I see that you're see you're excusing SEASONS of declining play from both players as them just being unhappy with their roles. I thought you didn't like players that give uninspired effort. (Candace) or it just convenient for you to use to make it a point. Very Happy


Being pushed out and poorly utilized had a lot to do with Sims fall off....Sims was unable to play her game with Parker dominating the facilitor role. Lavender on the other hand was mediocre in 2018, no excuse.


Also, Candace has a history of giving lackluster performances.


Davis4632



Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 597



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/28/19 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:

Skip I mean zune69, I see that you're see you're excusing SEASONS of declining play from both players as them just being unhappy with their roles. I thought you didn't like players that give uninspired effort. (Candace) or it just convenient for you to use to make it a point. Very Happy


Being pushed out and poorly utilized had a lot to do with Sims fall off....Sims was unable to play her game with Parker dominating the facilitor role. Lavender on the other hand was mediocre in 2018, no excuse.


Also, Candace has a history of giving lackluster performances.


And Lavender and Sims has had a history of declining play.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59904
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/19 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/1178369365361606656

Quote:
Be prepared for a revealing piece on a West coast WNBA team to be dropped tomorrow



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 9470



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/19 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/1178369365361606656

Quote:
Be prepared for a revealing piece on a West coast WNBA team to be dropped tomorrow


So - an explanation of the Sparks demise in the playoffs?



_________________
2019 RebKell Tipping Contest Champion
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 20451



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/19 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/1178369365361606656

Quote:
Be prepared for a revealing piece on a West coast WNBA team to be dropped tomorrow


Parker retiring?



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mayajustwins



Joined: 14 Sep 2019
Posts: 7
Location: Twin Cities


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/30/19 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding Parker to Minnesota and Shades response.

Problem 3 would be how many of the alleged 3000 STH (per Carley Knox in preseason) would demand their money back for having the Princess on the roster. Only Diana Taurasi has a chance to be more hated in Minnesota.



_________________
I can actually imagine making WNBA money, that's why I follow them.
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14949
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/30/19 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mayajustwins wrote:
Regarding Parker to Minnesota and Shades response.

Problem 3 would be how many of the alleged 3000 STH (per Carley Knox in preseason) would demand their money back for having the Princess on the roster. Only Diana Taurasi has a chance to be more hated in Minnesota.


The answer is none. People hate players until they are on their own team.


Iluvacc



Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 2832



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/30/19 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
mayajustwins wrote:
Regarding Parker to Minnesota and Shades response.

Problem 3 would be how many of the alleged 3000 STH (per Carley Knox in preseason) would demand their money back for having the Princess on the roster. Only Diana Taurasi has a chance to be more hated in Minnesota.


The answer is none. People hate players until they are on their own team.


X______

Hello, if Sims can do it Shocked Laughing Wink


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 20451



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/30/19 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/1178369365361606656

Quote:
Be prepared for a revealing piece on a West coast WNBA team to be dropped tomorrow


Wonder when this "piece" gets revealed?



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin