RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/13/20 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I wouldn’t mind Wiese on the Lynx as a backup, if all else fails. She has Minnesota connections and she seems like a great person.

What connections? I've never heard of any?

Shades

PostPosted: 02/13/20 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:
I wouldn’t mind Wiese on the Lynx as a backup, if all else fails. She has Minnesota connections and she seems like a great person.

Quote:
The work ethic come from both parents, who hail from Minnesota. The loyalty comes from Christian, who fostered sibling support rather than rivalry.

https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/2017/02/sydney_wieses_life_shaped_by_f.html

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/13/20 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:
The work ethic come from both parents, who hail from Minnesota. The loyalty comes from Christian, who fostered sibling support rather than rivalry.

https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/2017/02/sydney_wieses_life_shaped_by_f.html

Then how did she end up in Phoenix? If she was born in Phoenix because her parents found out elsewhere is better than Minnesota, then same can apply to her. Smile

jap

PostPosted: 02/15/20 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Fish and Ace is on the same page again? How can she be satisfied with only one 'measly' championship, with Nneka and The Closer on the same team? Will Nneka have to continue leading the Sparks this season, or will we see the Dynamic Duo at work in the front court once more?

Last edited by jap on 02/15/20 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 02/15/20 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks release Alexis Jones

PostPosted: 02/15/20 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Thanks, Pilight. Well, that is universe-shaking news! From the time our Mad Bomber returned home, this was just a matter of time.

PostPosted: 02/15/20 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
pilight wrote:

Thanks, Pilight. Well, that is universe-shaking news! From the time our Mad Bomber returned home, this was just a matter of time.

They had 12 players without Gray bring re-signed, so somebody had to go.

PostPosted: 02/15/20 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
pilight wrote:

Even if they would not have signed the " Mad Bomber" she was going to be released. The time she played last season pretty much made it evident that she was not a WNBA level player. She was like a deer in the headlights. The game was just too big for her. Sparks got suckered on that trade. She pretty much rode the bench the latter half of the season while the Sparks played other players at back up point. That was the primary reason that Gray ended up logging far too many minutes during the season and got worn down for the playoffs.

PostPosted: 02/15/20 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
jap wrote:
pilight wrote:

Even if they would not have signed the " Mad Bomber" she was going to be released. The time she played last season pretty much made it evident that she was not a WNBA level player. She was like a deer in the headlights. The game was just too big for her. Sparks got suckered on that trade. She pretty much rode the bench the latter half of the season while the Sparks played other players at back up point. That was the primary reason that Gray ended up logging far too many minutes during the season and got worn down for the playoffs.

Well, no more fears there. Our Mad Bomber is really not mad anymore. She learned how to reign in her mad bomber tendencies and be a true team player while with us. Even when she occasionally swaps roles with Chelsea, they make for a very dangerous tag team combo in the backcourt---literally, the Sparks' second Dynamic Duo.

PostPosted: 02/15/20 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
jap wrote:
pilight wrote:

Does anybody actually “have to go” before the season starts? Or, wouldn’t some of those 12 players signed also be potential cuts, that is, they aren’t all no-cut contracts?

pilight

PostPosted: 02/15/20 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
pilight wrote:
jap wrote:
pilight wrote:

Does anybody actually “have to go” before the season starts? Or, wouldn’t some of those 12 players signed also be potential cuts, that is, they aren’t all no-cut contracts?

They had to go at some point. This gives her a chance to sign elsewhere.

PostPosted: 02/16/20 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
jap wrote:
pilight wrote:

Indiana has 13 signed. I believe Dallas has at least 14 signed plus a bunch of draft picks.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/16/20 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
jap wrote:
pilight wrote:

Indiana has 13 signed. I believe Dallas has at least 14 signed plus a bunch of draft picks.

Yeah, they're going to have to cut some people too.

PostPosted: 02/16/20 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
jap wrote:
pilight wrote:

But they don’t have to cut them down to 12 until the day before season starts.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/16/20 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
jap wrote:
pilight wrote:

Training camp cuts will be very interesting for Dallas this season. Many teams will be shopping at the Waiver-mart store this spring. Very Happy

PostPosted: 02/16/20 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
tfan wrote:
pilight wrote:
jap wrote:
pilight wrote:

They had to go at some point. This gives her a chance to sign elsewhere.
No, it was not necessary for them to cut her now. Cutting her this early is unusual so speaks volumes and does not bode well for another team resigning her except as a camp body.

PostPosted: 02/16/20 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Training camp cuts will be very interesting for Dallas this season. Many teams will be shopping at the Waiver-mart store this spring. Very Happy

We kinda think that every year, but it seems like very very few cuttees get picked up off waivers. I think for the most part, most teams already have their own marginal players and at least they've been practicing with them for a few weeks. For us fans the grass is always greener on the other side of the waiver-mart store...but not so much for coaches and mgmt types. It's also why, if I'm a marginal player, I would like to go to a training camp where I have the best chance of actually making the team instead of one that looks to already be overloaded at my position. Smile

- Amanda Gorman
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 02/16/20 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

We kinda think that every year, but it seems like very very few cuttees get picked up off waivers. I think for the most part, most teams already have their own marginal players and at least they've been practicing with them for a few weeks. For us fans the grass is always greener on the other side of the waiver-mart store...but not so much for coaches and mgmt types. It's also why, if I'm a marginal player, I would like to go to a training camp where I have the best chance of actually making the team instead of one that looks to already be overloaded at my position. Smile

waiver-mart Laughing Laughing Laughing

Randy

PostPosted: 02/16/20 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mignt be a good time to pick up a Wing likely to be cast offs for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and get her into camp rather than take a chance on waiver-mart. Could see K. Davis being one such candidate. Maybe IMS another.

willtalk

PostPosted: 02/16/20 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
willtalk wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
I hope Fisher has a plan for Candace, or at least the PF position. She hasn't been able to play back to backs, or on one days rest for a a few seasons now. That's not a knock on her, she has a lot of mileage on those legs.

I disagree it is a knock on her. She just only puts out a certain amount of effort. She never leaves it all out on the floor. She paces herself and that is why she rests the second game. Older players than she have not used that excuse. She did the same thing when she missed most of the season on her return. It's probably a habit she picked up in her prime when she was that much better than most of the other players. If she doesn't want to give a 100 effort then she should just sit out those games instead of jogging up and down the court giving little effort and taking up a spot so no one else can.

This may be true, but Candace Parker's knee has been ruined since she came back too early at Naperville Central so her team could win a state title. None of us have any idea how bad her knee is, how much pain is involved, and what kind of preparation is required for her to get ready to play at the WNBA level.

Sure, some people can play at that level four days a week with no problem, but it's also true some can't, and those with a bad knee that's been a lifetime issue are less likely to. And if you do play a game in some level of pain, you have to make judgments about what to try to do and what not to do.

That said, she's never been a good defender (though we've never seen her with two good knees) and I'm not sure that's because of a lack of effort. It might be, but it also might be that she's just not a good defender.
I just read your post. Must have missed it before. Since Candice's production and value has come up again, I thought I would respond to your post, since it gives a possible explanation for her lack of consistent effort.

To begin with, I was never one to have an issue with Parker until the last two seasons. I actually did not understand peoples ragging on her constantly. In fact the year LA won the title and the season before Parker played very well. It has been in the years since that I have noticed a pattern and that alone is the reason for my perspective.

To begin with, Parker is an elite defender when she wants to be. In fact, she was named to the WNBA all-defensive team twice. Much like her offensive game, she can crank up her defense when she wants too. She just doesn't choose to that often. The fact that you stated that she has never been a good defender and connected that with your opinion on it being related to her bad knee's is contradicted by her two All WNBA Defensive Team selections. You base your entire perspective on her high school injury.

Watching her for four years with the Sparks ( saw almost every game ) is what led me to my conclusion on Parker. I concluded that she has developed a deeply ingrained pattern of coasting through games. I figured this was developed early on and those types of patterns are not easily broken. She will every now and then give sporadic efforts that reflect the level she is capable of playing at, but those are exceptions.

She has been able to get away with giving minimal effort because she is so talented that her minimum was always still better than most other players' top levels. When she needed or wanted to she could always come up with an outstanding effort. Well with age the last two seasons that has not been the case. Her skill level has diminished to the point where she can no longer get by with giving minimal effort without hurting the team. And at this point in time, it is hard to assess what her top-level is anymore.

After reading your post, I had to consider your perspective based on the information you added about her high school injury. However, that perspective had aspects that didn't make that much sense taking her history into context. But I did dig farther back into her history and found something that reinforced and seems to validate my perspective.

Candice tells about what her father did to get her to give her full effort on the court. She says that she was so much better than everyone else that her father stated that she would tend to coast in games. He used to make her mad to get her to compete harder. He also used to watch her practice in parks and if he felt she did not play/practice hard enough he would drive off and make her run home. So she made sure she would play in parks close too home. It seems that rather than playing harder she found ways to mitigate the consequences. Sort became a contest between her and her father with her resisting his attempt to get her to give effort. Duh! sound like she not only has a pattern of not giving her best effort but that it is emotionally ingrained.

She resisted playing until the eighth grade, even though her entire family was into and pushed basketball. She may have not even wanted to play at all, but it was expected of her. So one way of resisting was to play but only go through the motions and coast. The thing is that she was so good that her coasting was still better than other bests efforts. But she still ended up with a stellar career playing with emotional breaks on.

PostPosted: 02/17/20 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Mignt be a good time to pick up a Wing likely to be cast offs for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and get her into camp rather than take a chance on waiver-mart. Could see K. Davis being one such candidate. Maybe IMS another.

IMS signed for the minimum. Doubt she gets cut.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/17/20 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

Anigwe or Gustafson? With IMS, Ndour, and Izzy, it looks like the C positions are filled. Who can play PF amonst that lot? I don't see it. Maybe Ndour? Thornton in a pinch depending on the opponent.

Thornton, Davis, Gray and the two Samuelsons can all play SF. Of those, Davis and Karlie are most apt to go.

I assume BMW and whichever college PG they pick up later will duke it out for backup PG position.

When does T. Hill's contract expire? I guess they could possibly cut her and just eat it? With Arike and A. Gray, and with most of the SF's able to play SG, they don't need more at that position.

- Amanda Gorman
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/17/20 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
When does T. Hill's contract expire?

After this season.

PostPosted: 02/17/20 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

Anigwe or Gustafson? With IMS, Ndour, and Izzy, it looks like the C positions are filled. Who can play PF amonst that lot? I don't see it. Maybe Ndour? Thornton in a pinch depending on the opponent.

IMS is the most obvious center. They may not keep her, but I don’t think they cut (waive) her.

myrtle wrote:

I assume BMW and whichever college PG they pick up later will duke it out for backup PG position.

Dallas already have 13 players signed before they add draft picks, and BMW isn’t one of them. I really don’t think they’ll bother with her.

myrtle wrote:
When does T. Hill's contract expire? I guess they could possibly cut her and just eat it? With Arike and A. Gray, and with most of the SF's able to play SG, they don't need more at that position.

I guess they could do that if they have that much cap space left, but what if she comes back strong after being cut? Typical Dallas move? Might as well see what she’s got instead of cutting her based on preconceived notions.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/17/20 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone seriously considering that we Cut IMS and keep gustaffson are out of their damn minds ! Evil or Very Mad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 12 of 18

Jump to: