RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flojojr2007

PostPosted: 09/23/19 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I highly doubt the Sparks trade Candace. You don't trade away your franchise player when you want fans to come to the games.

When she's healthy & the offensive system actually makes sense, she still puts up big numbers.

It comes back to the coach, and the system he deployed on both ends of the floor. The sparks don't need a motivational speaker, they need a dang coach.

I understand being upset about Parker not getting out on shooters (the entire team hasn't for most of the season), but the offensive system has been trash. - - Everyone tended to take turns going 1 on 1
- the spacing was awful
- Not playing shooters
- Terrible shot selection
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/23/19 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Parker to Minn
Moore to Atl
Angel to LA

If Maya is really back to stay and not demanding a trade, Minnesota's not doing that deal

the whole thing was just a fun exercise I came up with because there has been a little talk about all 3 wanting to go somewhere else. Maya back home, Angel playing for a few seconds at the end of the season to say goodbye, Parker frustration at the end of last night etc. And when I wrote it out this made more sense than expected. All the players are super stars, but are also edging towards the end of the careers, it keeps them all in a ring chase, and if the whole move was forced by say Moore wanting to go to Atl Minn still gets decent return, and I bet Parker loved playing with Fowles and maybe after Fischer would enjoy coach Agler again.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/23/19 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Derek Fisher benching Candace Parker in must-win game will lead Sparks' offseason chatter

https://sports.yahoo.com/wnba-playoffs-derek-fisher-benching-candace-parker-in-mustwin-game-sparks-offseason-chatter-173512546.html

Quote:
Keeping Parker on the bench was only one of Fisher’s “what are you doing?!” moments. Late in the game, ESPN shared a clip inside the coach’s huddle where Fisher simply urged his team to play harder.

That didn’t sit well with ESPN commentator Rebecca Lobo, who called him out for it on the broadcast.

PostPosted: 09/23/19 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently, Fish to Candace: "Lead the team properly by example, or ride the pine! If you loaf, then THEY will loaf. If you play your heart out, they will ball their hearts for you."

PostPosted: 09/24/19 2:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Derek Fisher benching Candace Parker in must-win game will lead Sparks' offseason chatter

https://sports.yahoo.com/wnba-playoffs-derek-fisher-benching-candace-parker-in-mustwin-game-sparks-offseason-chatter-173512546.html

Quote:
Keeping Parker on the bench was only one of Fisher’s “what are you doing?!” moments. Late in the game, ESPN shared a clip inside the coach’s huddle where Fisher simply urged his team to play harder.

That didn’t sit well with ESPN commentator Rebecca Lobo, who called him out for it on the broadcast.

Uh, she did? The bit I remember seemed more like Lobo was asking "we're in Game 3 of the semi-finals and he has to ask them to play hard?" That's more of a criticism of the players than the coach. I'm not saying that Fisher or Parker covered themelves in glory last night, but there's been an awful lot of garbage spouted about those events in the 24 hours since.

PostPosted: 09/24/19 3:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

flojojr2007 wrote:
I highly doubt the Sparks trade Candace. You don't trade away your franchise player when you want fans to come to the games.

When she's healthy & the offensive system actually makes sense, she still puts up big numbers.

It comes back to the coach, and the system he deployed on both ends of the floor. The sparks don't need a motivational speaker, they need a dang coach.

I understand being upset about Parker not getting out on shooters (the entire team hasn't for most of the season), but the offensive system has been trash. - - Everyone tended to take turns going 1 on 1
- the spacing was awful
- Not playing shooters
- Terrible shot selection

She is the franchise player in name only. In the last few years they have played better without her.

When she is healthy?She must not have been healthy for some time. If she isn't healthy then she should expect to be on the floor. It is not just about getting out on outside shooters. She doesn't block out defense and allows her man to get offensive rebounds and putbacks. Every player has games when the are not feeling well everynow and then. Games when the are not feeling well or the tank is empty. However, with Parker, that seems to be more the case than the exception. You can count on one hand the number of times this season when she played a major part in a win.

The major problem with Fisher was he allowed Parker too much leway. Read the handwriting on the wall. Why did Agler quit last season? He knew he could not run the team the way he wanted with Parker on it. Flojojr ---People like you get so enamored with a players past abilities that you fail to see the negative effect they have on their teammates. Especially as those diminish through age and the level of players around them improve. Players like Parkeer just suck the life right out of their teammates. It is no wonder the National team wants no part of her. The more I watch her the more I see their point.

PostPosted: 09/24/19 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Uh, she did? The bit I remember seemed more like Lobo was asking "we're in Game 3 of the semi-finals and he has to ask them to play hard?" That's more of a criticism of the players than the coach. I'm not saying that Fisher or Parker covered themelves in glory last night, but there's been an awful lot of garbage spouted about those events in the 24 hours since.

For me, that's a criticism of the coach first, though obviously whoever assembled a roster of players who don't care enough to play hard in the playoffs has to share the blame as well.

PostPosted: 09/24/19 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Team Frugal: Alana Beard

https://www.afrugalathlete.com/blog/2019/5/14/team-frugal-alana-beard

Quote:
She’s consistently made time to get in front of mentors and attend different programs to build her knowledge and business acumen. She attended the Harvard Crossover Into Business Program, she even learned how to code during her Olympic break and even wrote about it, and most recently interned at VC firm in Silicon Valley during her latest offseason.

PostPosted: 09/24/19 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

For me, that's a criticism of the coach first, though obviously whoever assembled a roster of players who don't care enough to play hard in the playoffs has to share the blame as well.

While I appreciate that it's always part of a coach's job to motivate his players, if you're not motivated and ready to play hard in an elimination playoff game then when the hell are you going to be motivated?

One way in which I could see it as a criticism of the coach is that you'd like him to be offering something more constructive. It often seems like lazy analysis from commentators to say players need to try harder, when really they're just getting outplayed. Similarly, maybe a coach needs to come up with something more useful than telling his players to put more effort in. But he's the one who sees them every day in practice to judge their levels, and we only ever see selected pieces of timeouts, so who knows what else was said.

PostPosted: 09/24/19 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Hard to assemble your roster when your franchise player is the main one that needs to play harder on both ends of the court..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Spark4Life

PostPosted: 09/24/19 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a feeling Parker will retire. Anyway, her heart is hardly ever in it. Kinda shitty how some Sparks fans always give her a pass with her half assness. I'm kinda over it.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/24/19 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker had
24 pts (10-14, 3-5 3P, 1-2 FT), 10 reb, 3 ast, 2 stl, 6 blk
way back in Game 1 of the series.

Game 2: Fell off a cliff
Game 3: Benched

So if she wasn’t injured, she must have been psychologically not into it for whatever reason.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/24/19 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For me, coaching is primarily group dynamics, creating a situation in which playing hard is the default mode.

Obviously that's a lot easier to do at the lower levels, but then again a high school coach gets $2,000 a year and Derek Fisher has a couple more zeroes, I'd imagine.

Naturally, there are games over the course of a season when the effort isn't there, especially for pros who are going year-round, but however practices, team meetings, group gatherings, etc., have to be structured to maximize the group's focus on playing hard in postseason is up to the coach. (I would purposely not have my team totally ready for a game against a weaker opponent, hoping we'd play poorly but win so I could get their attention again.)

And again, if he's got a bunch of folks who don't care, or there's no leadership, then the problem kicks upstairs to whoever assembled the roster.

PostPosted: 09/24/19 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker has more than earned the "Lazy Ace" nickname.

Fisher gave his team a message, which was "We will give up at the first sign of adversity." Curt Miller had the Sparks game plan figured out before halftime of Game One and Fisher had no Plan B.

PostPosted: 09/24/19 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even Rah Rah Michelle Smith is critical

https://twitter.com/macsmith413/status/1176598762719834112

Quote:
Was this her vision for Fisher's stewardship? It's fair question. Toler has been strong GM for this franchise. She has built a team of talent/depth. But this requires her to step forward and address.

PostPosted: 09/24/19 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bring Delisha Milton home and let her coach the Sparks. I think she would be great.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 09/25/19 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Drama Momma needs to hang it up Embarassed Wink Twisted Evil

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/25/19 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:

Hell no. This league is just starting to approach an acceptable level of drama. Losing a key contributor right now would be an unwanted step backwards.

PostPosted: 09/25/19 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

Hell no. This league is just starting to approach an acceptable level of drama. Losing a key contributor right now would be an unwanted step backwards.

It was really interesting reading Napheesa Collier's reflections essay in The Players' Tribune when she called the WNBA a "sisterhood". Imagine if the league itself had more of a bad-girls-club image rather than just a few players carrying the bad-girl tag... I wonder just how much more attention it would garner (and from who) if it were more like the NBA, which is of course one of if not THE Pettiest League in the World Laughing Fighting each other as opposed to fighting the bitches talkin kitchens Rolling Eyes

jewelsongs

PostPosted: 09/25/19 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

+ 1 Million on D Nasty

shontay33

PostPosted: 09/25/19 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Even Rah Rah Michelle Smith is critical

https://twitter.com/macsmith413/status/1176598762719834112

Quote:
Was this her vision for Fisher's stewardship? It's fair question. Toler has been strong GM for this franchise. She has built a team of talent/depth. But this requires her to step forward and address.

Agree %100. Its not a good look when your coach who had extensive experience ie Agler decides to suddenly step down and then turn around and take another job with another WNBA franchise. You then continue with the good ole boys system of hiring NBA guys no matter how crappy they were at their previous stop. It makes a fan of basketball wonder what Toler was thinking. I also do not think that some of the players were not on board with the Fisher hiring in the first place but accepted it because they had no choice.

Genero36

PostPosted: 09/25/19 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=27692628&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe></embed>

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=27692628

PostPosted: 09/25/19 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=27696477&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe></embed>

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=27696477

PostPosted: 09/25/19 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My assumption has always been Fisher was Magic Johnson’s pick not necessarily Toler’s.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/25/19 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vossy wrote:
My assumption has always been Fisher was Magic Johnson’s pick not necessarily Toler’s.

Magic didn’t even go to the first press conference.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18

Jump to: