RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/03/19 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
4. With this story, Toler may be on her way out. Players talk and it might be very tough to get anyone to sign there.

Toler's had a rep around the league for aaaaages, and I'm not convinced that this changes much. A lot of players want to play in Los Angeles, and the limited interaction you have with a GM probably won't put many off.

A coach and/or star players that are hard to work with/for, though? Those are more likely to put people off if they've got options about where to play.

PostPosted: 10/03/19 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker resigned an extension in 2017 til 2020 . So does she play 1 more season in a spark uniform or is it time to head home ? ATL or Chicago ? Shame on Toler as well smh i had low hopes for her and she brought them to a cellar !

PostPosted: 10/03/19 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This has gotten soooo messy, and as someone who roots against the Sparks, I am thriving Very Happy

Seems clear one of Toler, Fisher, & Parker's gotta go before next year, unless Magic Johnson wants another spicy year like this one Razz Possible Parker retires now that her broadcast career's taken off. If not, my vote's on Fisher - many questioned his coaching ability, and that he prioritized the strategic side of coaching the least shows to me that he's not cut out to be a head coach in any professional league. Although, between Toler re-signing Williams when she did and making that locker room speech, I'd say she has had the most bad looks out of everyone.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/03/19 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Report: The Sparks Imploded Because Derek Fisher Is An Overmatched Dingus Who Can't Handle Criticism

https://deadspin.com/report-the-sparks-imploded-because-derek-fisher-is-an-1838749639

PostPosted: 10/03/19 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's see here:

1. Candace is lazy and doesn't play hard enough a lot of the time. (I've read that many times on Rebkell)
+
2. Toler curses at her players and calls them names because they don't play hard.
+
3. Fisher is an Overmatched Dingis who........

= Magic formula for successful team chemistry.

BTW - I guess it never occurred to the Sparks, players, coach or GM that maybe the Sun were just better than them.....

Wonder if Chiney feels now like her work life balance was better with the Sun after all?

zune69

PostPosted: 10/03/19 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Report: The Sparks Imploded Because Derek Fisher Is An Overmatched Dingus Who Can't Handle Criticism

https://deadspin.com/report-the-sparks-imploded-because-derek-fisher-is-an-1838749639

This is clearly a hit piece on Fisher.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/03/19 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sun may have been better -- and in fact, probably were -- but the way the Sparks played game three is the issue. It's not so much that they lost, but how they lost, and what that all said about Derek Fisher, Penny Toler and the players.

PostPosted: 10/03/19 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When. Is. A. Reporter. Going. To. Have. The Guts. To. Maybe. Report. On. What. An. Entitled. Brat. Candace. Parker. Is?

When? Everyone pissed and moaned when she was left off the Olympic team but nobody said, "What did Candace do to get left off the Olympic team?" They just blamed Geno. Now, another coach basically told her to stop being an asshole and work hard......and she gets a free pass again.

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/03/19 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
This has gotten soooo messy, and as someone who roots against the Sparks, I am thriving Very Happy

Seems clear one of Toler, Fisher, & Parker's gotta go before next year, unless Magic Johnson wants another spicy year like this one Razz Possible Parker retires now that her broadcast career's taken off. If not, my vote's on Fisher - many questioned his coaching ability, and that he prioritized the strategic side of coaching the least shows to me that he's not cut out to be a head coach in any professional league. Although, between Toler re-signing Williams when she did and making that locker room speech, I'd say she has had the most bad looks out of everyone.

+1

toad455

PostPosted: 10/03/19 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll say that it appears Toler is definitely out due to this. And I do wonder if Parker asks for a trade or retires(I hope not). The Sparks are in for a big shake up this offseason.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
lynxmania

PostPosted: 10/03/19 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how much ESPN/ABC will cover this during the game.

But this ain't good for the Sparks.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/03/19 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"I won't go back there until the culture changes," a former player said. "It's unprofessional."

Are we speculating on who this is? Or are we all in agreement that it's Sims?

PostPosted: 10/03/19 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
I wonder how much ESPN/ABC will cover this during the game.

But this ain't good for the Sparks.

Depends on who leaves or stays.

Since the Sparks aren't in this year's WNBA Finals, ABC/ESPN will likely not mention it all during the game. At best, maybe during the halftime report.

PostPosted: 10/03/19 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fisher may be a dingus, but it was Toler who handed him the job on a silver platter (I mean, at least interview other people?!), re-signed Williams, and gave the "MFer" locker room speech. It's clear to me who should be out.

And probably Fisher too honestly.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/03/19 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Quote:
"I won't go back there until the culture changes," a former player said. "It's unprofessional."

I came up with a couple of other possibilities, but she was definitely top of my list.

PostPosted: 10/03/19 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
When. Is. A. Reporter. Going. To. Have. The Guts. To. Maybe. Report. On. What. An. Entitled. Brat. Candace. Parker. Is?

When? Everyone pissed and moaned when she was left off the Olympic team but nobody said, "What did Candace do to get left off the Olympic team?" They just blamed Geno. Now, another coach basically told her to stop being an asshole and work hard......and she gets a free pass again.

+1

StevenHW

PostPosted: 10/03/19 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In most NBA and NFL teams, General Managers are given usually two head coaching changes during their tenure, or the GM themselves get fired.

How many coaching changes has there been with the Sparks during Penny Toler's tenure as GM? At some point, somebody has to say that Penny just doesn't know how to pick a coach, and she should be held accountable for so many changes.

I still believe that Penny should've been let go as the Sparks' GM several years ago, after she took over as the interim coach after firing Carol Ross.

PostPosted: 10/03/19 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Fisher was hired to replace Brian Agler, who resigned last November after racking up a 85-51 record and winning the 2016 title. Toler said Fisher was the only coach she interviewed for the position, and when asked about his concerning playoff performance, she defended him repeatedly. Taken altogether, Shelburne’s story paints a picture to an organization that has jeopardized its own culture to hire and stump for a coach who is way over his head. A former player told ESPN, “I won’t go back there until the culture changes. It’s unprofessional.”

How does that quote reflect on Fisher when the unnamed former player never played for him? Laughing...The culture was already screwed up before Fisher was hired. That falls mostly on Toler, Parker and maybe Agler.

Last edited by zune69 on 10/03/19 5:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Randy

PostPosted: 10/03/19 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Quote:

Why not Carson or Lavender?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/03/19 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Quote:
Fisher was hired to replace Brian Agler, who resigned last November after racking up a 85-51 record and winning the 2016 title. Toler said Fisher was the only coach she interviewed for the position, and when asked about his concerning playoff performance, she defended him repeatedly. Taken altogether, Shelburne’s story paints a picture to an organization that has jeopardized its own culture to hire and stump for a coach who is way over his head. A former player told ESPN, “I won’t go back there until the culture changes. It’s unprofessional.”

How does that quote reflect on Fisher when the unnamed former player never played for him? Laughing...The culture was already screwed up before Fisher was hired. That falls mostly on Toler, Parker and maybe Agler.

You're just assuming. It could have been Karlie Samuelson who said that Wink

PostPosted: 10/03/19 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Quote:

I'm pointing my finger at Maimouno Diarra, their 2017 hidden All-Star....

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
justintyme

PostPosted: 10/03/19 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Quote:

The verbiage of that quote makes me think it's not Sims. "Won't go back there until..." makes it seem like someone who has potential FA destinations on their mind. Sims is under contract at the moment and by all accounts is happy in Minnesota. Seems like a person who wouldn't have future destinations on their mind.

PostPosted: 10/03/19 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

🤔

Fisher is a former player

PostPosted: 10/03/19 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was about to say Toliver...but then It occurred to me that the former player could be retired (Lisa Leslie)

It would not shock me if Lisa Leslie is the new GM or HC at the start of the 2020 season.

Luuuc wrote:

Laughing

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/03/19 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty sure Leslie isn't going to re-sign with the Sparks no matter what changes they make to the culture...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 6 of 18

Jump to: