RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NO MORE WAITING: GIVE THE WNBA ITS OWN SIGNATURE SNEAKERS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/17/19 4:48 pm    ::: NO MORE WAITING: GIVE THE WNBA ITS OWN SIGNATURE SNEAKERS Reply Reply with quote

https://www.slamonline.com/kicks/no-more-waiting-give-the-wnba-its-own-signature-sneakers/

Quote:
“I remember in middle school I had Cynthia Cooper’s sneaker,” the W’s Sneaker Queen, Tamera Young, says. “Our team, actually, had it. It’s something for the kids as well that looks up to us. If you had WNBA players that have sneakers, it’s something that little girls could look up to.”

PostPosted: 09/17/19 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only issue is people have to buy them ...

And the key market -- young female basketball players -- want to buy NBA guys' shoes, because a) most of them have never heard of any WNBA players; and b) even if they have, they like the NBA players more.

PostPosted: 09/17/19 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The only issue is people have to buy them ...

And the key market -- young female basketball players -- want to buy NBA guys' shoes, because a) most of them have never heard of any WNBA players; and b) even if they have, they like the NBA players more.

But that said, if someone can break that market - and it undoubtedly depends more on the marketing than the actual shoe - and become the shoe for girls playing basketball, there's a whole bunch of money to be made. It probably is about time that somebody gave it another proper attempt, rather than just sending all the female players out in vaguely different colourways of the guys' shoes.

PostPosted: 09/17/19 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s a great idea in principle but is there a market? I don’t know what it’s like elsewhere in the US or other countries but in NY young people buy Jordans, Yeezys and Vans. They don’t even buy men’s sigs as a general rule outside of Kyries. Hardens aren’t even worn casually and he’s a top player. Sneakerheads might ball in Hardens but even casual ballers don’t wear them with much frequency, at least out here.

So I’m just not sure there’s a market for a WNBA sig, but for me it’s not even a matter of comparison with men’s sigs as much as it is about what’s in style. Either way though, I just don’t think there’s a market. Unfortunately.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: