RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AP Awards

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/15/20 10:50 am    ::: AP Awards Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/1d468e24bb296ca33044752512dd5a5a

Quote:
Candace Parker edged Alyssa Thomas and Alysha Clark for defensive player of the year honors. Parker, in her 13th season, received five votes. Thomas and Clark each had four.

PostPosted: 09/15/20 11:00 am    ::: Re: AP Awards Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Candace Parker edged Alyssa Thomas and Alysha Clark for defensive player of the year honors. Parker, in her 13th season, received five votes. Thomas and Clark each had four.

Parker and the Sparks were smart to get her DPOY campaign going early. Imo that was the difference.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/15/20 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k7GDNWBFzqY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Spark4Life

PostPosted: 09/15/20 12:40 pm    ::: Re: AP Awards Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Quote:

Parker and the Sparks were smart to get her DPOY campaign going early. Imo that was the difference.

Like the WNBA does for Stewart for MVP? Wilson burst their bubble this year. 🤣

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/15/20 1:27 pm    ::: Re: AP Awards Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://apnews.com/1d468e24bb296ca33044752512dd5a5a

Quote:

I mean, who cares who wins the AP DPOY award, but that is beyond ludicrous.

The Sparks PR machine deserves this award.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/15/20 1:50 pm    ::: Re: AP Awards Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Quote:

Like the WNBA does for Stewart for MVP? Wilson burst their bubble this year. 🤣

To me, everyone billed the MVP race as a two-horse race early on, considering it's an award that utilizes more conventional statistics than DPOY. Stewart may have been the leading candidate for most of the season, but Wilson will rightfully get it, as her team won out in the end. Ultimately, we heard both names pretty evenly - not sure where the W itself pushed Stewart's candidacy more. If anything, several people on here have said that the W likes to have new people win MVP, so following that logic, they would've been more pro-Wilson than pro-Stewart. Since only one person has won MVP twice within the past decade (EDD in 2015 and 2019), I'm inclined to believe what they've said. Razz

DPOY otoh is generally an award with less obvious criteria; definitely more up for debate, and a persistent team/media campaign undeniably helps a player's perceived credentials. All good if you disagree. Parker does have a lot of pure stats going for her, but many feel like Clark was the League's best defender. Parker won the AP DPOY, so she probably has the leg up when the W gives out their awards anyway. Still, us homers are gonna homer, aren't we. Arrow

pilight

PostPosted: 09/15/20 2:47 pm    ::: Re: AP Awards Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
If anything, several people on here have said that the W likes to have new people win MVP

OTOH, there was a long stretch when Lauren Jackson, Lisa Leslie, and Sheryl Swoopes just passed the MVP back and forth. It may be a cyclical thing.

PostPosted: 09/15/20 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No surprises.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: