RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Chicago Sky 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/22/20 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
It would be great if Chicago gave Kelly Campbell a training camp contract. Smile

agree, nice player. But in this year of no/little training camp don't think it would happen. And I don't think she has enough speed to play in the W.

- Amanda Gorman
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/22/20 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
It would be great if Chicago gave Kelly Campbell a training camp contract. Smile

agree, nice player. But in this year of no/little training camp don't think it would happen. And I don't think she has enough speed to play in the W.

This is one time I have to agree with you Debbie Downer. In the past teams would sign many players that were not drafted to training camp contracts. No one is doing that this year.

PostPosted: 04/22/20 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
With a number of WNBA players shrinking two inches from their collegiate heights it will be very amusing if Hebard shrank two inches also. She will drop from six feet four inches tall down to six feet two inches tall. Confused

The WNBA never shrank Amanda Zahui B from her generous 6'5" college over-listing (although Wikipedia has her at 6'4"), so it can go either way.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/22/20 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

This is one time I have to agree with you Debbie Downer. In the past teams would sign many players that were not drafted to training camp contracts. No one is doing that this year.

oomph! nice shot. I think of myself as a realistic romantic... Laughing

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/22/20 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
With a number of WNBA players shrinking two inches from their collegiate heights it will be very amusing if Hebard shrank two inches also. She will drop from six feet four inches tall down to six feet two inches tall. Confused

The WNBA never shrank Amanda Zahui B from her generous 6'5" college over-listing (although Wikipedia has her at 6'4"), so it can go either way.

most players have more accurate listings overseas. You just have to interpret it back from meters.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 05/13/20 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My Mom Still Braids My Hair
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/ruthy-hebard-my-mom-still-braids-my-hair-wnba-chicago-sky

Quote:
When I was really little, my parents told me that I was adopted, and that I had been born in Chicago and had four siblings there. But it honestly wasn’t something that I focused on all that much. Everyone in our family is white, but no one ever treated me differently or looked at me as different. I actually never even realized anything was unique or special about my family until I was in fourth or fifth grade and other kids started focusing on it.

Quote:
So, in a lot of ways, as different as this year’s WNBA draft was because of the coronavirus crisis, it was actually almost cooler for it to be virtual and to have everyone in my family there when I got the news that I’d been selected eighth by the Sky. And I have to say, when my name got called, and it turned out that I’d be going to Chicago? All of us sitting there in our living room immediately knew what that meant.

It went way beyond basketball.

Quote:
But make no mistake about it: My family is the one I have in Alaska. I couldn’t be more proud to say that, and I am truly blessed to have them in my life. They are all I’ve ever known, and they’ve been there for me — in big and little ways — each and every day of my life. I love them with all my heart.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/13/20 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the link, Shades. Wow, I don't recall the Draft broadcast mentioning the fact that she was born in Chicago - it certainly would've made for an interesting talking point in the heat of her getting drafted there. That was quite a beautiful and particularly personal article. When I read the "it's not black and white" line within its context, I was just like " Shocked ". I'm thankful that she had the courage to express her story like that.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/13/20 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now Reeve can blame her draft day gaffe on “bigger things at work here.” It could be said that it was fate that Hebard ended up at Chicago.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/25/20 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Rachel Galligan
@RachGall

Japreece Dean has been waived by the Chicago Sky

PostPosted: 05/26/20 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sky have suspended Kiah Gillespie & waived Alexis Prince, roster stands at 11 now(as expected).

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 06/01/20 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-wnba-rookie-class-20200530-20200601-r4i2c43nofckvbitmoaedcpnca-story.html

Quote:
Gillespie has been designated as non-active for the full season, meaning that, unlike a waived player, she can’t play in the WNBA at all this year. But her rights will be retained by the Sky, and she was told she’s guaranteed a spot in training camp next season. In the meantime, she intends to spend this next year getting into WNBA shape and developing her game.

Quite generous of them to guarantee her a spot in the training camp if she sits out. A new form of collusion? Pilight, look into that.

Get into Maya shape and let’s see what happens. Most prospects aren’t that ambitious. They tend to want to rest on their laurels.

Quote:
“I think it sets me up for the chance to make that Chicago Sky roster and be on a team where they’re really interested in my skillset and what I have to offer,” Gillespie said. “It also gives me an opportunity to work on those things that I necessarily wouldn’t have been the best at going into training camp this season.”

Quote:
I felt that it was just smarter for me to stay somewhere and actually get the opportunity to play in front of them than to roll the dice and see if another team would pick me when they had people that they couldn’t necessarily keep.”

When the next year’s set of rookies come in, teams tend to forget about last year’s rookies that didn’t make the cut.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/27/20 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sydney Colson announced she has tested positive for coronavirus. No word if she plans to opt-out.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/30/20 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jantel Lavender will miss the 2020 season due to foot surgery.

This puts the Sky at 10 players for the start of the season.

PG: Vandersloot/Johnson
SG: Quigley/Copper
SF: DeShields/Williams
PF: Stevens/Parker
C: Dolson/Hebard

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/01/20 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

What is wrong with Lavender's foot? Confused

PostPosted: 07/01/20 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
toad455 wrote:

It's recovering from surgery

Actual answer: https://sky.wnba.com/news/jantel-lavender-undergoes-successful-surgery/

PostPosted: 07/01/20 12:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Actual answer: https://sky.wnba.com/news/jantel-lavender-undergoes-successful-surgery/

I believe Lavender is related to Elijah Price. Two broken bones in two consecutive years. Lovely.

PostPosted: 07/01/20 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I believe Lavender is related to Elijah Price. Two broken bones in two consecutive years. Lovely.

Assuming she's able to stay on the roster and keep collecting a paycheck, it's not a terrible time for her to be injured; she did say she didn't feel totally comfortable playing unless there was a vaccine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is a ~*golden*~ opportunity for both Stevens and Hebard. I'm even more interested to see what Stevens in particular will bring to the team... assuming she opts in.

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/01/20 7:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Assuming she's able to stay on the roster and keep collecting a paycheck, it's not a terrible time for her to be injured; she did say she didn't feel totally comfortable playing unless there was a vaccine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was thinking the same thing. Makes you wonder if she didn't kick a wall or drop a big rock on her foot on purpose. Razz

PostPosted: 07/01/20 7:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if the surgery last year essentially didn't work. It's the same foot, and the surgery noticeably being done in LA this time rather than in Chicago. This could be a second attempt, rather than a second injury.

PostPosted: 07/02/20 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now that Lavender is not available for this season I do wonder if Chicago will play this season with four posts or will they try to acquire some veteran player to strengthen their roster. Are Chicago required to pay Lavender for the entire season or can they suspend her?

PostPosted: 07/02/20 5:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Now that Lavender is not available for this season I do wonder if Chicago will play this season with four posts or will they try to acquire some veteran player to strengthen their roster. Are Chicago required to pay Lavender for the entire season or can they suspend her?

Every indication so far has been that Plum and Lavender are being treated as in-season injuries who therefore continue to get paid and either have to continue taking up a roster spot or be waived. For now I think it just means that Hebard gets thrown into the fire a little more than expected, and Gabby Williams might have to play some 4 again if necessary.

PostPosted: 07/02/20 6:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Every indication so far has been that Plum and Lavender are being treated as in-season injuries who therefore continue to get paid and either have to continue taking up a roster spot or be waived. For now I think it just means that Hebard gets thrown into the fire a little more than expected, and Gabby Williams might have to play some 4 again if necessary.

Thanks, Richyyy.

PostPosted: 07/04/20 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pettis has stepped down as assistant coach.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-sky-and-wnba/2020/7/4/21313520/sky-assistant-coach-bridget-pettis-resigns-ahead-of-2020-season

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/05/20 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone know how and when did Lavender broke the bone in her foot?

PostPosted: 07/05/20 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Does anyone know how and when did Lavender broke the bone in her foot?

It sounds like her foot injury could be chronic. This is an article about Stevens but it did talk about Lavender a little bit: https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports-saturday/2020/7/4/21309362/sky-look-to-azura-stevens-for-big-season-after-injury-plagued-2019

Quote:
This week, Lavender had surgery on her left foot for the fifth time, the team said. What it means for Lavender beyond this year is unknown. She’s 31, won a WNBA title with the Sparks and has started to pursue a career in sports broadcasting.

Although, we don’t know when the first surgery on her left foot was. Maybe this only dates back to last season’s injury, but maybe she first injured it even before 2019.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: