RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/17/20 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
We can’t even keep Langhorne, Prince, and Magbegor without going over the cap.

Yes you can. It was the pick that complicated the cap situation, and Laksa isn't coming. The roster's basically set:

Bird/Canada
Loyd/Whitcomb/Prince
Clark/Tuck
Stewart/Langhorne
Howard/Russell/Magbegor

That 12 slides about four grand under the cap.

PostPosted: 04/17/20 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Yes you can. It was the pick that complicated the cap situation, and Laksa isn't coming. The roster's basically set:

Bird/Canada
Loyd/Whitcomb/Prince
Clark/Tuck
Stewart/Langhorne
Howard/Russell/Magbegor

That 12 slides about four grand under the cap.

Holmes stands a chance to make it over a hobbled Prince.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/17/20 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If we have a training camp, it's going to be about 5 minutes long. I doubt many of these vets get beaten out because the kids won't have time to do it.

PostPosted: 04/17/20 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Yes you can. It was the pick that complicated the cap situation, and Laksa isn't coming.

Oh whoops ok cool lmao how many times did you plug your cap sheets here and I obviously didn’t read the Storm’s close enough to remember correctly. Laughing Thanks a lot, #DrunkDraft. I still don’t like Laksa as a player enough to like the pick, no matter when she shows. But it makes more sense than a lot of other teams’ picks do, that’s for sure. Holmes and Gorecki will in all likelihood not be giving Langhorne and Prince a real run for their money, but I’d love to be wrong.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/18/20 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Laksa isn't showing up until 2021.

https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/1251330717683834880

Quote:
it was the "team's decision."

Neutral Forcing a player to be a deferral pick seems downright sketchy to me. Obviously during this pandemic it's a lot harder/riskier? to travel internationally anyway. But, if a season were to happen, what if Laksa felt ready and wanted to compete for a spot this year? Unless it's literally impossible for her to travel to the States for the indefinite future, they must've hard-sold her on her chances being better to make the roster in 2021, I guess. Still, whether she shows up this year or next year, I don't see that one extra year making much of a difference for her; and as lowly as I think of her, she could in theory beat out someone like Epiphanny Prince this year... Confused

Last edited by Stormeo on 04/18/20 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/18/20 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Stormeo"]
toad455 wrote:

Quote:

I don't see that one extra year making much of a difference for her; and as lowly as I think of her, she could in theory beat out someone like Epiphanny Prince this year... Confused

well Prince will be one year closer to retirement which might make a difference. And y'all might find out Tuck isn't any better than KML. And who knows how long Birdy can continue to waddle down the court? So it looks to me that next year might have a few more spots open than this year. This year your roster looks really really solid. Barring injury or pregnancy, very hard to crack into that lineup.

- Amanda Gorman
lynxmania

PostPosted: 04/18/20 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Quote:

Neutral Forcing a player to be a deferral pick seems downright sketchy to me. Obviously during this pandemic it's a lot harder/riskier? to travel internationally anyway. But, if a season were to happen, what if Laksa felt ready and wanted to compete for a spot this year? Unless it's literally impossible for her to travel to the States for the indefinite future, they must've hard-sold her on her chances being better to make the roster in 2021, I guess. Still, whether she shows up this year or next year, I don't see that one extra year making much of a difference for her; and as lowly as I think of her, she could in theory beat out someone like Epiphanny Prince this year... Confused

Like Richyyy said on Twitter. She should just sign the contract, show up, and force them to either keep her or cut her and let her go to another team. Would love to see someone do that one day.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/18/20 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, Laksa turns 24 next month. She's older than A'ja Wilson or Napheesa Collier. She's not really a pick for the future.

PostPosted: 04/18/20 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
well Prince will be one year closer to retirement which might make a difference. And y'all might find out Tuck isn't any better than KML. And who knows how long Birdy can continue to waddle down the court? So it looks to me that next year might have a few more spots open than this year. This year your roster looks really really solid. Barring injury or pregnancy, very hard to crack into that lineup.

Laughing I will continue to give Sue Bird the benefit of the doubt as it relates to her age. If she can continue to put up good numbers, she can stay 'til she's 50! Wink As for Tuck, she and KML already are at a similar level as far as I'm concerned. Color me enthused. Rolling Eyes

lynxmania wrote:
Like Richyyy said on Twitter. She should just sign the contract, show up, and force them to either keep her or cut her and let her go to another team. Would love to see someone do that one day.

If Laksa does that like a true badass, we can keep her - I'll allow it. Cool

pilight wrote:
Also, Laksa turns 24 next month. She's older than A'ja Wilson or Napheesa Collier. She's not really a pick for the future.

Which means she'll be 25 by the time the 2021 season is expected to start. Confused You could say this pick already isn't aging well!

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/18/20 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, they really can't 'force' her to stay away. After you draft someone the team is required to send out a contract in order to retain that player's rights. The player can just sign it (as most foreigners do these days even if they're not intending to show up, because it starts the clock on the contract years ticking off). There's nothing to stop her showing up at that point, as far as I know (although it's obviously more complicated for foreign players, because teams would be involved in applying for work visas and stuff like that). Anyway, they'll have talked to her beforehand and set this all up, so I assume she's okay with it. She never would've gone this high otherwise, I'd presume, so maybe there's a payoff for her that's worth it. Might be better to come in as a first-rounder the team is under a little pressure to keep next year than a second/third-round pick everyone expects to cut a week into camp. Especially if you didn't particularly expect to play this year anyway.

PostPosted: 04/19/20 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laksa could be trade bait for 2021. Langhorne's likely past her prime, too. Clark will be 34 in 2021. This should be Prince's last year. Storm will need some young replacements soon.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/19/20 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="pilight"]Also, Laksa turns 24 next month. She's older than A'ja Wilson or Napheesa Collier. She's not really a pick for the future.[/quote] Phee turns 24 this summer too so some players were just older in their class.

Randy

PostPosted: 04/19/20 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Laksa could be trade bait for 2021. Langhorne's likely past her prime, too. Clark will be 34 in 2021. This should be Prince's last year. Storm will need some young replacements soon.

I thought Prince's last year was a couple of seasons ago.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/19/20 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good interview with quarantined Sami

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcEdTEtfk24

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EcEdTEtfk24" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 04/19/20 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EcEdTEtfk24" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice thanks!
I didn’t know she was married, to a wife!! ❤️❤️ I already liked her because of her shot now I like her a bit more Smile

It hasn’t seemed like here in San Diego the police have been out enforcing shelter at home, I wish we were a bit tougher like France.

Anyway back to basketball and Sami, I really enjoyed her interview. She seems lovely and like a great teammate. Interesting to hear she wasn’t always a shooter. Goes to show what hard work can do for a player. Also just kinda the mentality of being a role player off the bench in the W compared to being a top option overseas.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 04/19/20 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Nice thanks!
I didn’t know she was married, to a wife!! ❤️❤️ I already liked her because of her shot now I like her a bit more Smile

It hasn’t seemed like here in San Diego the police have been out enforcing shelter at home, I wish we were a bit tougher like France.

Anyway back to basketball and Sami, I really enjoyed her interview. She seems lovely and like a great teammate. Interesting to hear she wasn’t always a shooter. Goes to show what hard work can do for a player. Also just kinda the mentality of being a role player off the bench in the W compared to being a top option overseas.

Great interview. Glad to hear that she made it out of France and back to Perth.

She has always been a team-first player. She has always been one of the hardest working players.

It's true, she wasn't a shooter when she came to UW. I remember her time at college and how much the program struggled. The AD should have released the recruits in the class after hers. I would not have been surprised at the time if Whitcomb had chosen to transfer, but she stuck it out. She and the two players she graduated with were a special group. She got better each year at UW. She developed her shot with hours and hours and hours and hours of practice, with rebounding help from a team manager. She was known as a gym rat. Even as a rookie in the W, Coach Boucek noticed how much time Whitcomb spent in the gym to the point where Boucek was concerned. When I read that, I thought, "No need to be concerned. That's just Sami." So when she says that she might go crazy in quarantine without the stationary bike her wife brought her, yeah, she might.

It sure is fun watching her ball out for Seattle again.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/26/20 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NBA Draft Dream Finally Realized For USF Alum Kitija Laksa
https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/sports/2020/04/26/nba-draft-dream-finally-realized-for-usf-alum-kitija-laksa

Quote:
“I played in the European Championships, I played in the World Cup,” said Laksa. “I don’t think anyone in the draft has that type of experience so, yeah, that is definitely something that will help me.”

Quote:
“The second I saw my name come up on the screen I just tried to hug my family and it was an amazing moment for us and we enjoyed it very, very much,” said Laksa in a post-draft interview.

Quote:
The journey to get to the WNBA Draft is finally complete for Kitija Laksa. But in true form, she isn’t basking in the glory, Laksa is already focused on earning her time in Seattle.

“Right now I’m ready to work and prove myself and fight for my spot,” said Laksa.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/26/20 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That last sentence almost makes it seem like she's coming over now. A little weird how the fact (assuming it still is one) that she's not actually competing for a spot until 2021 went completely unmentioned. But if Birdy's right and Laksa is "hungry" right now for a chance to compete here, let's just hope she doesn't die of starvation between now and the time she'll actually be given the chance... 12 months from now.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/26/20 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
That last sentence almost makes it seem like she's coming over now. A little weird how the fact (assuming it still is one) that she's not actually competing for a spot until 2021 went completely unmentioned. But if Birdy's right and Laksa is "hungry" right now for a chance to compete here, let's just hope she doesn't die of starvation between now and the time she'll actually be given the chance... 12 months from now.

The Storm actually have no choice in that. If she wants to play and shows up, they have to either keep her or waive her. They can't make her wait until next year.

Personally, I hope she shows up and calls their bluff.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/26/20 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

The Storm actually have no choice in that. If she wants to play and shows up, they have to either keep her or waive her. They can't make her wait until next year.

Personally, I hope she shows up and calls their bluff.

Having said that myself in previous comments, I was actually talking about this idea to someone last week. The thing is, the team would usually be the ones sponsoring the player's work visa for the US. I'm not sure how you get round that if you need the visa but the team doesn't want you to come. Could be complicated, at least.

PostPosted: 04/26/20 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Under article XI section 4 of the CBA "Teams are required to reimburse players for the application cost of obtaining Global Entry membership as part of the Trusted Travelers Program of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security."

PostPosted: 04/26/20 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's for travel though, right? Work visa is a very different thing. Almost anyone can get into the country if necessary, on vacation if nothing else. Doing something that would result in you being paid is different.

PostPosted: 04/27/20 6:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
That's for travel though, right? Work visa is a very different thing. Almost anyone can get into the country if necessary, on vacation if nothing else. Doing something that would result in you being paid is different.

I someone going to call INS if she shows up at camp? One suspects the union will get involved if they just deny her entry to the building.

PostPosted: 05/26/20 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joyner Holmes and Gorecki both hit the bricks. They’re both intriguing prospects to me.

Holmes could be Laimbeer-like prospect. Maybe Indy.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/26/20 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, I’m officially mentally ready for Langhorne, Prince, and Tuck to get paid over 25% of our payroll altogether without contributing much of anything on the court. Rolling Eyes I guess the good news is, so long as everyone else stays healthy, we won’t need them to?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: